CAP 4 CAP 4 - Art Submission Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
We can justify anything with quick explanations.

Even Gamefreak has lazied out with why some pokemon learn some moves.

Innate abilities, thorough training, special powers, or magic.

I just noticed KoA's Wolf/Horse, and I must say I am speechless. That thing is amazing, with lot's of great story behind it as well, great job KoA:D!!!

words + art
I'm sorry KoA, I really do respect you as an artist and a designer and I believe this was a very good design, but it looks exactly like a Digimon. ):

I'm sure if it were done for a different concept it would be a little better, both type-wise as people said and movepool requirement-wise as well, although I still can't get past the Digi aspect. It's the colours, mask and claws, I think. Sorry if this comment wasn't very constructive.

koa, you forgot to add thats secksing the pokemon gives them moves.
actually, koa, you don't have my vote. that last thing you posted looks nothing like poison or ground. it looks like a dark or a ghost.
so far, cartoons still has my vote because he rammed a spike into blisseys face.

I recolored the armadillo because the last version of it was just too eye-rapingly colorful. If you want the short "biography"/justification of it being a defensive-leaning utility Pokemon, click here for the post I made several pages back.

Hey guys, drew this a few nights back at my friends house, just through some color on it now, I'm afraid I suck at making up the lil biographies behind these things so if anyone would like to have a go at giving it one I'd like to hear it.

But yeah, it'd be nice to hear what people think of it, peace out poke-peeps. :D

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeh, he drew that at my house xD it's pretty awesome really.

I'm just a little unsure on the colour scheme, but that probably doesn't matter just yet. I was thinking more of a Hippowdon like colour scheme.

I read it. Here's the catch: we're not Gamefreak. As long as we don't slap on random moves and abilities, and we have an explanation for each, we're good. We don't have to follow trends.
You know, with all do respect, I honestly can't agree with that at all. We're here, from my understanding, to create believable Pokemon that'll mix up the metagame. That's the entire point. I would think following Gamefreak's lead would be the entire point. We're just doing what Gamefreak does in the areas they haven't yet explored. A Ice/Bug sweeper or a Poison/Ground utility, or whatever else.

This idea that we can just bend the rules to fit whatever we want really just brings out the ultimate inner fanboy (in a project that already attracts that way too much).

So yeah, I'm all for following the trends. I roll my eyes every time someone suggests creating a new Ability. I think we should try to play within the rules and ideas that Gamefreak has already established. And of course, I know that there are exceptions, but that doesn't mean we have to work in that murky area.

Also, Daddy long-legs follows the spiking, cute, and encore categories. Tailwind could be accounted for by the physics of the wind going past all it's arms and hands. Trick room is a bit tricky, but then again, you could take it in the literal sense and it's "tricking" you into going slow/faster.
I agree about spiking and encore, without question.

Cute is a little bit harder. What Lorak was presenting wasn't just a non-threatening face, it was more the cute, bouncy fairy. Unless we want to say that the Daddy long-legs is literally holding opponents down, then I think Gravity would be debatable.

Tailwind is hard to justify on all designs thus far, I think.

We can justify anything with quick explanations.

Even Gamefreak has lazied out with why some pokemon learn some moves.
Just because Gamefreak has lazied out, doesn't mean we should as well.

All I'm saying is that some of the designs would be out of place in the groups of Pokemon that learn the attacks we want this Pokemont to use. Don't get me wrong, many of the designs themselves are amazing, but I don't feel they fit the purpose very well. And I think that's a valid arguement against them.

Very nice design Retro, very nice. However, I don't see that thing helping others out anytime soon, even if it could. It looks to be about the range of Muk/Weezing to Tauros/Miltank in terms of what supporting moves it could learn. Nice try, but not quite utility enough IMO.

I'm sorry KoA, I really do respect you as an artist and a designer and I believe this was a very good design, but it looks exactly like a Digimon. ):

I'm sure if it were done for a different concept it would be a little better, both type-wise as people said and movepool requirement-wise as well, although I still can't get past the Digi aspect. It's the colours, mask and claws, I think. Sorry if this comment wasn't very constructive.
What exactly makes something a Digimon or Pokemon though? The only real thing that seperates them is that Digimon actively go through their evolution line both ways, and they can talk. Everything else can be swapped back and forth.

• Greymon and Rampardos, basically just recolors with a more cutesy look for Rampardos.
  • Birdramon and Moltres, only difference is Birdramon needs to see a dentist.
  • Whamon and Wailord, Wailord has eyes.
  • Togemon and Cacturne, Togemon is more "plump".
  • Agumon and Charmander, Charmander has fire on his tail.
So, really, the only differences are superficial. There are plenty of Pokemon that seem more "Digimon-like" than a Pokemon, and vice versa. Unless you give the thing guns, swords, and other random weapons, there's really nothing that says something is more of a Digimon than Pokemon.

Retro Orange said:
I going to say this, I knew someone would do a rhino-based Pokemon for this project. Now, design-wise it's truly remarkable. You clearly shown the Poison aspect via toxic fumes, though with the coloring people might mistaken it as being Poison/Steel more than Poison/Ground. It's bulky yet fast appearance (Rhino are fast, faster than you think) could work with almost any of the say being voted on. The only thing that going to be picked apart by other is this anti-utility appearance, but all that later, as of now it's a interesting take on the type combo.

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Gravity, Roar, Rapid Spin, Trick Room, Magic Coat, Spikes, Toxic Spikes, Haze, Reflect and Light Screen were all moves I'd expected this Pokémon to be able to use. I spent quite a while discussing things with Retro here the other night and they all seem more than suitable based on its appearence.

Perish Song, Encore, Psycho Shift, Memento, Me First, Snatch and Safeguard would still all be viable IMO.

Obviously it'll have to miss out on quite a few of those, and it's not something that you'd see Heal Bell/Aromatherapy, Wish or Tail Wind on, but oh well.

I'd imagine it would be quite like Hippowdon, similar HP / Atk / Def stats (I was thinking around 110/110/115) but obviously with the Ground weakness so it's not amazingly better at the defensive side of things. (Though it would wall things like SD Lucario a lot better, which is a plus for the game).

Just because it looks more deadly, doesn't mean it can't be a utility Pokémon. Think of it like Drapion, that does both very well, so why can't this?

I know I'm going into much too detail about the whole design of the Pokémon seeing as this is just an art submission thread, but the point is, this thing, if chosen, could easily be worked to use the ultility moves suggested IMO.

I like cartoons' and the smog imp both. And I wouldn't mind seeing them win... BUT they don't convey the role of this poke as well as some of the others.

When I look at Daddy McLonglegs, I really don't see poison/ground. It is an extremely creative design, it's well drawn, and It looks like a supporter. But, the only types that come to mind at first glance are Bug, Steel, and perhaps Fighting. The only reason it passes as ground is the info and second drawing showing it burrowing. It does not look ground and it does not look poison at all.

That leads to the smogimp. It was done and redone time and time again so it would look like a poison/ground. And it does. I like it and it also looks like a supporter. The only thing is, the ghost wheel thing looks like it could do everything smogimp could do better. It definately looks MORE like a support and MORE like it could rapid spin, trickroom, gravity, tailwind, etc.

Obviously I like that design, but (and I don't want to sound self-centered) I think my designs also deserve a mention for representing this CAP accurately.

EDIT: I think the wheel fits into all of the categories Lorak mentioned. I like the toxic rhino design (its a great piece of artwork) but it seems a little redundant considering that the only other poison/ground pokes are also toxic rhinos.

Since the new pokemons is typed Poison and Ground, I was searching for some decent looking creatures and I realized there was a very good looking creature in the game World of Warcraft. It looks like a Poison type and slightly Ground looking. I think it will be the perfect fit and obviously we're not going to copy it. I was just thinking about it and we could use it as an idea and work our way from there. Here's the picture, I don't know how to change it's size, it's pretty big.

I like Retro's concept. One thing I will say is that I think the colour scheme could be tweaked to make the outer parts more brown in colour to make it look Ground type rather than Steel type.

Okaaay so heres another design, its scorpian inspired, a few things to note about this pokemon design is the smoke its producing hides its legs so there never seen its body is actually hidden under its shell which it has over the years gathered and put together using bricks and rubble found on building sites or wherever, i cant make up a pokemon biography to save my life but i hope that gives you an idea to as what its like.:D

I am REALLY liking that stone-scorpion. So many of the best designs just don't go along with the Utility aspect T_T

Can I say this, what kind of design aspect(s) when looking at pokemon makes them Utility driven?
Agreed, there isn't much criteria for "utility". Just looking at what gets the moves we want this to get:

Gravity
Rapid Spin
Wish
Trick Room
Heal Bell / Aromatherapy
Encore
Memento
Perish Song
Psycho Shift
Safeguard
Magic Coat
Me First
Snatch
Spikes
Toxic Spikes
Tailwind
Haze

The range of Pokemon that count as utility is so huge that it's really impossible to quantify it. You have the likes of Umbreon and Jirachi (cute) mixed in with the likes of Bronzong and Xatu (weird). Then you have them mixed in with the likes of Dusknoir, Raichu, and Deoxys (fierce).

Lol, just another poke' i designed as you can guess its a sort of lizardo type thing, nasty lil tail for poising its foe's hope you guys think its alright, peace out :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)