CAP 4 CAP 4 - Art Submission Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I'm guessing a Utility Pokemon shouln't look so feirce and scary. For example, you won't see Tyranitar as a Utility pokemon. He's scary, terrifying, and doesn't look like it wants to help others. On the other hand, Blissey, Celebi, Jirachi, Clefable and others look more cheerful and not so scary. So I'm thinking the Utility pokemon shouldn't look angry or terrifying. That's what I think.

But what about Dusknoir, Deoxys, Hippowdon, and Skarmory? They all look rather fierce, and can be / are considered utility Pokemon.

Just thought i'd make a nicer looking pokemon design up, it has a poisnous plant on its 'TUMMEH', and i based it around a mole so its tied in with the ground theme pretty well i think. :D

Alright guys. Minor misconception there. Let's clear it up.

When a Pokemon uses an utility move, most of the time it does not give a bloody shit about the team. Its trainer orders the Pokemon to use move, Pokemon uses move. I don't know what kind of slave relationship Pokemon has for your average teenager to control shit like Alakazam, but the Pokemon itself does not need to be helpful. Neither does it need to look helpful. What it needs to do is having the physical capability to use support moves. Roar is an utility move. By that retarded logic that seems to run rampant in this thread, Pokemon scare the shit out of their adversories simply because they want the better of their teammates. I'm not going to buy this.

Skarmory is a good support Pokemon. It learns Whirlwind and Roar, coupled with a good defensive typing and access to Spikes. Skarmory is also a hybrid of Asipatra, India's sword-winged demon birds tasked with the torture of sinners, and man-eating Styphalian birds. And it sure makes sense using Spikes and Roar, because if some avian Nidhogg with steel plating update that sheds sharapnel with every flap of its wings roared at me I'd better be looking for cover too. Dusknoir is another example, being a mixture of the typical western image of a genie, a possessed lantern and a living wormhole yet still plausibly setting up Trick Room because it looks mystical.

The point is, cuteness is not directly relevant to how well this Pokemon is going to support. "This does not look like an utility Pokemon. " is not an excuse to dismiss a concept. "This does not look like it can use Encore, Wish, Heal Bell, Gravity etc. " is. I will give you that most of the Pokemon with Heal Bell and Gravity are the "cute" types. Encore seems like it requires at least some stubby arms, so some "cute" ones get that as well. But if a concept can explain their use via other means (DJD's symbiote tail for Heal Bell comes to mind. ) I don't think "This looks scary, no way this will be helpful to anything" is proper contribution to this thread more than "Alper's design looks like a rather large turd with fish bones and legs struck to it. " is. (It does, though. )

However, this is only my opinion, of course.

[Edit:] Why am I mixing up l's and n's, of all things? Better than the l/r weeaboo shit I guess.
Also Retro Orange, the quality of your designs and the speed at which you churn them out is amazing.

I believe gothic togekiss mentioned a swiss army knife somewhere around here, and I was dry on ideas, so I used that as a start...

Then I thought of burrowing crabs, so I made that, then, I remembered, this
thing is a poison type, and so I added the big thing on the back to resemble
a coconut crab, a type of crab that, depending on what it eats, can be poisonous...

Well someone mentioned something about a swiss army knife .-.

I liked the warthog idea as well, but couldn't do much with it :(

I made one, it is a mushroom with a poisonous fumes cap with spikes on it and a body made of sand... my scanner screwed itself up by making all the pictures glitchy so i had to use my webcam... play with it to whomever feels like it...

btw, it's body is made of sand so it can use quite a lot of utility moves by changing its body (think sandman from spider-man)

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
You know, with all due respect, I honestly can't agree with that at all.
Ok. Everyone is entitled to their opinions.

We're here, from my understanding, to create believable Pokemon that'll mix up the metagame. That's the entire point. I would think following Gamefreak's lead would be the entire point. We're just doing what Gamefreak does in the areas they haven't yet explored. A Ice/Bug sweeper or a Poison/Ground utility, or whatever else.
The pokemon don't have to be believable, because they aren't believible by their definition. Gamefreak will never take our submissions, and if we find something similar in Gen 5, it'll be sheer coincidence. Next, to follow Gamefreak's lead, we would be doing some pretty wierd things. Say I said I had a pokemon with 600 BST, two weaknesses, a boatload of resists, and Attack and Defense over 130. This pokemon has a huge support and offensive movepool. The only crutch is mediocre speed, but still quite usable, and it gets a priority move to make up for this. You would say broken. I would say Metagross. See? We can't follow Gamefreak down to the last detail because we AREN'T Gamefreak. We're making Pokemon here. Just because Gamefreak hasn't made them yet doesn't mean they won't milk the cash cow later. Besides, would you give random non-stab attacks that don't make sense to random CAPs? (Syclant doesn't count, its fanboyish and we all know it.) How does Flygon get Roost? U-Turn? It's neither flying nor bug.

This idea that we can just bend the rules to fit whatever we want really just brings out the ultimate inner fanboy (in a project that already attracts that way too much).
Rules said:
There is no public Nintendo guide or rulebook that delineates what is acceptable or unacceptable when making a Pokemon. So, don't act like you've read such a manual and memorized it word for word. No matter how experienced you are ingame, battling, or otherwise -- you are no more an "authority" on the rules of Pokemon creation than anyone else. All we have is opinions to present and discuss.
There are no rules. There are no guidelines. Therefore, we can't bend/break the rules and guidelines, because they don't exist! Also, most "veterans" of the project keep the fanboyism in check. If you look in the threads, there are always the people advocating the random, broken things. They are always shot down. There aren't any rules, but there are boundries.

So yeah, I'm all for following the trends. I roll my eyes every time someone suggests creating a new Ability. I think we should try to play within the rules and ideas that Gamefreak has already established. And of course, I know that there are exceptions, but that doesn't mean we have to work in that murky area.
I agree, I cringe when someone submits a new ability. The problem with the "following Gamefreak" arguement is that if we did that, we wouldn't be making pokemon, because they make the official pokemon.

I agree about spiking and encore, without question.
k.

Cute is a little bit harder. What Lorak was presenting wasn't just a non-threatening face, it was more the cute, bouncy fairy. Unless we want to say that the Daddy long-legs is literally holding opponents down, then I think Gravity would be debatable.

Tailwind is hard to justify on all designs thus far, I think.
Yeah, Poison/Ground isn't the best supporting move type outside of the Spikes and the stylistic moves. I fail to see Wish on any of the current submissions, but mark my words, someone will come up with a discription for it, like my "turbulence" arguement. Although in retrospect, turbulence is bad xD

All I'm saying is that some of the designs would be out of place in the groups of Pokemon that learn the attacks we want this Pokemon to use. Don't get me wrong, many of the designs themselves are amazing, but I don't feel they fit the purpose very well. And I think that's a valid argument against them.
So true =/ Lmao @ the dead pikachu and the Knife.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I updated my design to include a gem in the end of the tail rattle. Thank you to EspeonA for the great suggestion (see here). It's a minor visual detail, but it adds color balance to the design, it "completes" the rattle, and it gives more visual support for a variety of special moves that could be used via the mystical gems on this pokemon.

Doug- What did you use to make that? Photoshop?
----------------------------------------------------

To the rest of the CAP community- Would anyone be interested in a design based off of a Komodo Dragon? It's not actually a dragon, it's a lizard so it fits with the ground typing and their saliva is poisonous so that fits with the poison typing. Also, they look both strong and defensive and they are actually pretty fast. Anyone interested?

Doug, this may be me only, but I think that it should be shorter.

The main pokemon looks a WHOLE lot like a leech, if you look at it carefully. Not a worm, not a snake, but a leech.
And it's effective for me, I actually like it being a leech.

These are what I feel would perfect the design.
1. Spirals on the underbelly of the snake. You talked about a mystic feeling to the leech-symbiote. I do think that spirals would improve the mystic feeling OR ALTERNATIVELY
2. Shine on the underbelly. This could mean minor light accentuations on the belly of the snake. Make it appear as if the underbelly was made of rubies.
3. Shorten the product, accentuate the rattle. The rattle seems like an afterthought on the pokemon, and I would be visually more pleased if the rattle just came off and the tail ended where the symbiote ended. However, this takes a lot of the flavor you wanted away from the piece. I would say experiment with new rattle designs, because I can see the rattle working, but it doesn't seem to feel right on the skinny tip of the tail.
4. Improve the design of the symbiote top. I seems too similar to lairon, I know I've said that before, but the design isn't amazing. I would like to see a new design, one which may be sharper, and more capable of laying spikes.

I hope you don't take my suggestions as insults, but I feel that your design DOES have some really good potential, but it could improve visually in some respects.

However, if you feel as if the changes are unnecessary, I understand.

To the rest of the CAP community- Would anyone be interested in a design based off of a Komodo Dragon? It's not actually a dragon, it's a lizard so it fits with the ground typing and their saliva is poisonous so that fits with the poison typing. Also, they look both strong and defensive and they are actually pretty fast. Anyone interested?
Actually, that idea has already been thought of and executed for a total of at least three times.

Sorry. Not saying you shouldn't do it, just that it's not exactly very "original". :/

EDIT: Has anyone talked about moving GT's list to the front page? It's pretty much buried now and submissions look like they're starting to get repetitive. It would be a lot more convenient for artists and commenters alike, I think --- not to mention decreasing the "sorry didn't see that" posts.

EDIT2: Doug, I like the addition of the jewel although I agree with Thunderpup about the tail's end being overpowered by the rest of the design. I think you could easily fix it by just making the rattle a little bigger, no big deal. I think redesigning it/adding new colour schemes/whatever is larglely unecessary, it's fine as it is.

Also, like Thunderpup, when I first saw it I first thought "Oh my gawd, tapeworm" but it doesn't actually bug me, haha.

Actually I just redid my original Komodo Dragon to look alittle bit more poison/ground.

The mounds obviously hint that he is a burrower and fully capable of completely submerging himself underground. Or at least I hope they do...
Hopefully these small adjustments can make him viable once again.

OH MY GAWD UBERMUNCH WHAT DID YOU DO ;_;

I honestly think it looked plenty Ground before --- tan is a very "Ground" colour. I used it on my Oho Jee, too; and for that reason.
but OH MY GAAWD

I really don't mean to offend, sorry. But the colours.

I think it looked totally fine before. (:

I agree. I liked your design, Ubermunch, better before.

I feel thunderpup is on to something. Doug's design has the potential to use most if not all of the desired moves (curse you tailwind...) thanks to the gems. I would like to see your design in a different position perhaps, one that flaunts the tail more, as it should a key part of the design. Sorry, I am not an artist, so these are only suggestions and please don't take them the wrong way.

For me, its currently a toss-up between the Smog Imp and Daddy-Long Legs.

A lot of people are going for smog imp/daddy-long legs, and DJD has quite an amazing submission. But I am going for this guy right here: http://www.kodiakber.net/forumpost/cap4small.jpg

The reason is that I am not very akin to legendaries, they just don't work for me conceptually. Now, I am not very good at competitive battling and I am not aware of what utility moves will make or break it, so I am not going to comment on something I have little to know knowledge about. I know tailwind and the fairy moveset is a big deal, and I can't imagine this concept getting trick room. However, out of all the submission, I do believe this is the most badass in the sense that it is the most realistic.

The desert wonder mirage, the arctic lights, the lightning storms, these guys have the concepts of arousing awe and wonder in the people, but they are at times way too abstract to creaturify them, and then control it. Sure, DJD's submission has the amazing backstory, but it makes it seem like just one pokemon rather than something we can copy and breed. This guy just has the right touch to be realistic enough to imagine a society of it while retaining the pokepower that empowers it with special abilities. I definitely can't see DJD's poke getting any breeding moves for what its worth. =/ Just my thought.

Edit: I wasn't aware Smogon used javascript for line breaks.

I don't understand what you're talking about.
In fact, that pokemon is TOO realistic for pokemon.

Can you find a pokemon which isn't a comical version of it's real life self?
Arbok... doesn't look like a cobra as much as it looks like a play-do snake with anime eyes.
That lizard... it looks like it has real life textures.

DJD's and Cartoon's creatures definitely can be seen getting egg moves, AND breeding. In fact, rapid spin might be an egg move for both of these pokemon. Stylistically, egg moves are moves that a parent would teach it's child, especially between cross-bred pokemon. Milotic has the inate ability to learn hypnosis, but it takes a caring parent to teach milotic how to use this ability.

And seriously, what's comical about a lizard wearing purple body armor?
Sure, it may be badass, but it's not pokemon style, so I don't think it's going to make the grade.

I know, but I just felt like repping that guy. It was amazing because I could SEE its society just by looking at it.

I don't know, maybe I just want a few pokemon that aren't awesome wonder and stuff? I know thats what pokemon is about, but its sometimes frustrating to see a cool concept go by like that.

With a backstory like DJDs... still can't imagine how that guy gets babies. But then again, there is lapras, so my opinion is invalid.

Made my Smoke-wheel use some attacks (I can't animate things, so it won't look as cool as Daddy-Long-Hands elbowing Blissey, lol) :

since wheels are sort of similar to turbines/fans, it's possible for this thing to use Whirlwind and to an extent, Tailwind.

With a backstory like DJDs... still can't imagine how that guy gets babies.
Maybe it's like slugs/snails/leeches, in that it has both male and female organs? =\

I don't understand what you're talking about.
In fact, that pokemon is TOO realistic for pokemon.
I don't understand what you are talking about. Concept art needs to be as detailed as possible. It is concept art. It is supposed to tell you what a Pokemon looks like. You are talking as if we're going to resize it to sprite size, load it on Shoddy and call it a day. Here is what Blastoise concept art could have looked like. You obviously would have rejected it because it "doesn't look Pokemon enough", if it wasn't already one. Except it has all features of Blastoise. It gives you an idea what Blastoise is. Blastoise can be assigned moves and sprited based on this design.

Unless you can hire him to redraw us our shit, don't expect all of us to duplicate Ken Sugimori's art. Hell, this isn't even relevant, after Dialga and Palkia and whatnot you would probably dismiss a few of the original Pokemon as unpokemonlike. This is another wrong trend that seems to be popular, the idea that all Pokemon should look cartoony, even "badass" ones. No offense to cartoony designs, though, they're still amazing.

Also, here's another picture of the Hallucigenia/sea pig/I ate a whole salmon once and this thing came out of my ass hybrid. That's its defensive behaviour, attempting to curl up into a ball with its soft parts staying inside. This is how it spreads Spikes and maybe Rapid Spins them out. In the picture it is not a complete ball yet, and is using two of its tentacles to pull both of its ends to a circle. The eyes, being soft and edible for most Pokemon, also stay inside the circle.

Back down soldier. This isn't a war, no need to get so intense.

Concept art is fine, in fact concept art can be anything.

However, you have to understand that it is WITHIN the rules of this thread to criticize other's work. If you have a problem with that, take it somewhere else. When I say that it looks too realistic and it doesn't look like a pokemon would be, that's when the artist either bites the bullet and makes version 2.0, or they disagree and leave it the way it is. That's what design is all about.

However, I stand behind my opinion 100% in that it doesn't look like a pokemon should. That design is by no means set in stone, nor is it unable to be improved at all. When it comes down to the chopping block, either that pokemon is redrawn or not used. As a concept, it's cool. As a piece of art to be submitted, it leaves something to be desired.

My post never questioned the legitimacy of the concept.
A lizard is a cool concept.
You put those words into my mouth.

So that's it.
There's no reason to get defensive.
When art is submitted, expect criticism. I have criticized the other models as well, because constructive criticism helps every piece of art.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)