CAP 4 CAP 4 - Art Submission Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunday

God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Pure Utility Pokemon
Description: There is a serious lack of Gravity, Rapid Spin, Wish, non Dark weak Trick Room, OU viable Heal Bell / Aromatherapy, Encore, Memento, Non Dark weak Perish Song, Psycho Shift, Safeguard, Magic Coat, Me First, Snatch, Spikes, Toxic Spikes, Tailwind and Haze Pokemon in our lovely Metagame. I don't know what type, what stat distribution or even what kind of Pokemon would effectively use all those, but I want to build a utility Pokemon for the useful yet less used utility moves. If I had to narrow the field a bit, I would emphasize Tailwind, Gravity, non Dark weak Trick Room, Rapid Spin, Wish and Encore. The normal utility moves like Reflect and Light Screen go without saying.
Primary Typing: Poison
Secondary Typing: Ground

All art designs, ideas, inspirational material, and submissions are to be posted and discussed here.

Here are the guidelines for posting in this thread:
  • Art submissions are designs to guide the creation of final battle sprites that will be used for the pokemon.
  • Any rendering medium can be used to present a design, as long as it is a full-sized design. Sprites are not allowed here. Spriting is a separate process that will occur later.
  • Compressed images of reasonable dimensions should be posted. Oversized submissions (file size or image size) will be deleted.
  • Colored designs are strongly encouraged for final submissions. However, many artists prefer to post uncolored designs and sketches, to solicit early feedback, then color them later for final submission.
  • If artists wish to comment or criticize other artists' work, this is the place for it. Criticisms amongst artists are discouraged in the later art poll threads.
  • No art submissions should be modified by others without the explicit permission of the original artists.
  • Using other submissions as "inspiration" for an original artwork is allowed. However, outright "stealing" of designs is prohibited.
Art submissions for the art poll will be selected by myself, based on preference and feedback in this thread. There is no process for overturning my decision. If you are not comfortable with this stipulation, then do not make an art submission. Do not post any complaints here or in later threads.

Sunday

God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
They were meant to open in tandom with the secondary typing poll. It may seem early, but I'm actually late. Policy review would be the place to post your complaint, not here.

My suggestion for any artist finding the idea fun is the Mongolian Deathworm, as I have little artistic talent - definitely not good enough to do this thing justice. And of course, provided we land Poison/Ground - Poison/Dragon has plenty of myth to draw on.

The intestine worm is a large (For a worm, at least) burrower that can also shoot out electricity and spit poison, allowing it access to Thunder Wave and perhaps even Toxic Spikes/Spikes (More like sandworm teeth right). It is also strangely drawn to the color yellow. Images of this cryptid are plentiful in both Google image search and deviantart, so artists should have no problem with reference pictures.

And hey, we could even have the second eyeless Pokemon to date - Zubat is the first.

Those fancying a spider for this may like the burrowing wolf spiders, and there's something fascinating about air-breathing, burrowing stonefishes that you can step on while hiking and die in 5 minutes, but I haven't given proper thought on what mythological creatures Poison/Ground would work on.

Catoblepas? Maybe, but I don't really like bovines. No feasible way Toxic Spikes is going on that thing, too. On the plus side, it'd get Hypnosis, and hey, its head is so heavy that it needs to constantly keep it on the ground - we can link Gravity to this somehow.

That idea would be amazing! It gives access to Electric attacks though...
Hmmm, maybe we should save this for a Bug/Electric Pokemon or something.
Possibly Ground/Electric?
Poison/Electric?
I think this thing is too Electric biased to not have that as a type.
We've already decided against that.

Well, a pile of rocks and a chunk of ice can fire off electricity. (Regirock/ice, anyone?)

But I must admit, I love the idea of the burrowing tunnel spiders if this guy ends up Poison/Ground. If I had any skills even close to the other users on Smogon, I would submit a drawing. But alas, I do not, so I will merely watch all the skills pour into the project.

Catoblepas? Maybe, but I don't really like bovines. No feasible way Toxic Spikes is going on that thing, too. On the plus side, it'd get Hypnosis, and hey, its head is so heavy that it needs to constantly keep it on the ground - we can link Gravity to this somehow.
Fuck, I was going to mention that D:

We could also true a Nuclear Testing site as a basics for Poison/Ground. The soil there is too dangerous for any living being to be on, so it make sense. Also Godzilla for Poison/Dragon, in b4 Godzilla suggestion.

Hmmm... I definately have my qualms about doing this. I was going to wait until dragon won. I whipped up this idea for a Poison/Dragon (obviously I was a little early) so I thought I'd post it before it became obsolete.

Actually when I think about it, it could be a poison ground. Someone mentioned in a post in the type poll that alot of dragon looking mons aren't part dragon so...

I was basing this off a Komodo dragon. I figured it could probably spin on its tail, gravity could work cause things that are huge (like planets) get gravity and this guy's pretty big. Also thinking he could get thick fat (again he's big) to get rid of that nasty ice weak. Those are only my thoughts and this obviously isn't my CAP so i'll let you all decide.

What do you think?

Basilisk in its rooster form. Sketched this up when Dragon was the popular vote, but it looks like Ground is currently in favor.

Meanwhile, you guys are suggesting some really interesting concepts. The larger the pool of ideas and myths Smogon's artistic community is made aware of, the richer and more diverse we can expect the submissions to be.

UberMunch, I love that!
It looks so Pokemon!
It fits in with both Ground and Dragon.
Amazing!
Thick Fat can work on this too.

i like that komodo lizard a lot, but how would it be if he wasn't standing on his tail? maybe almost slowbro style?

I was basing this off a Komodo dragon. I figured it could probably spin on its tail, gravity could work cause things that are huge (like planets) get gravity and this guy's pretty big. Also thinking he could get thick fat (again he's big) to get rid of that nasty ice weak. Those are only my thoughts and this obviously isn't my CAP so i'll let you all decide.

What do you think?
That is seriously awesome. If Dragon does end up winning (which i hope it won't), I'd love this guy. Tailwind wouldn't work, really, but other than that, I think it's perfect for the Poison/Dragon combination.

If ground does end up winning, and we still wanted this guy, a simple color scheme change would work too.

Hmmm... I definately have my qualms about doing this. I was going to wait until dragon won. I whipped up this idea for a Poison/Dragon (obviously I was a little early) so I thought I'd post it before it became obsolete.

Actually when I think about it, it could be a poison ground. Someone mentioned in a post in the type poll that alot of dragon looking mons aren't part dragon so...

What do you think?

This is great, good job. It definitely screams out Poison/Dragon to me. I don't know about Poison Ground, but I voted for Dragon, so hopefully it wins!

Hmmmm, I was just thinking....
This Pokemon looks like a serious/cutesy mix.
Usually Pokemon are one or the other.
The torso and bottom are all cutesy chubby like Snorlax, Munchlax, Slowbro, etc.
But the top is all serious like Salamence and Garchomp.
If I were you I'd make the expression more consistent.

Yeah, I know. He was originally supposed to be pointing in a Badass manor. But, I guess flipping someone off is just as Badass. :P

I like the mongolian deathworm for Poison/Ground. It could be in the Bug egg group giving it many support options (I've posted some of these in the type poll). It also looks like it could get Trick Room and Gravity. The electricity it can produce is sort of a turn off, though. It would be better if this Pokemon was Poison/Electric

The komodo dragon looks like it would work for both and could get a lot of the support moves that neither could get easily. (These include Trick Room, Gravity, Memento, Psycho Shift, and Magic Coat.) Rapid Spin, Wish, Heal Bell/Aromatherapy, Me First, and Tailwind seem like a stretch though.

One thing that I feel needs to be more carefully adressed with this pokemon than previous CAPs is form + function. This isn't going to be a sweeper like Syclant, who just needed to look badass enough to make his movepool + sweeping capabilities plausible. This isn't a tank like Pyroak or Revenankh, who both just needed to look sturdy and powerful to keep with the "tank" look.

This is going to be a utility pokemon. It's going to be learning a lot of oddball moves, and I feel it needs to look like it's plausible it can pull off this kind of universal utility. Those two designs are really cool, but what about them says "I can Rapid Spin" or "I can (toxic) spike" or "I can encore/wish?"

I guess my $.02 on this topic is that this pokemon should really look like it can do all these things it's being set up to. Most Rapid Spinners have body shapes or designs that make it look like they can...spin rapidly. Most spikers look like they have some kind of detachable part or place from which to draw spikes. Most clerics have some kind of jolly disposition (Miltank, Blissey, G/S/C Celebi), or have a defining feature where "aromatherapy" would come from (Meganium's flower).
&c.

Sorry UberMunch, but a komodo dragon really doesn't fit the idea of a utility pokemon. Now if we were going for offence, then that thing would be perfect.

Sorry UberMunch, but a komodo dragon really doesn't fit the idea of a utility pokemon. Now if we were going for offence, then that thing would be perfect.
Do you really think of a cow as being able to save you from Poison/Burn/Freeze/Sleep?
It's about the design, not the concept.
And not so much anymore...
Pokemon is beginning to be a bit more of a free-for-all.

The komodo dragon's great and it would work for both sides, I don't think it fits the potential stat spread though. This is probably going to outrun Syclant and your badass yet fattish creature doesn't quite fit. Stats are still in the works though and your creature certainly looks oddball and Pokemon-like.

I'm going to be looking out for any spider designs later on but go nuts on design people. Looking forward to more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)