CAP 4 CAP 4 - Art Submission Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lorak

*leekspin*
is an Artist Alumnus
Gothic Togekiss has been heckling my submission for awhile, saying it wouldn't be able to walk to around with 8 of those huge hands getting in each other's way.

He was probably right...but they're hands anyway; there's no reason it couldn't walk around on four of them, leaving the other four to do 'hand stuff'.

"Rogue Group, use your harpoons and tow cables. Go for the legs. It might be our only chance of stopping them."

Alright, G_T will stop heckling your submission Cartoon. Impressed to say the least, more so than before. To be honest with you, your submission is slowly warming up to me.

Cartoon' is great, really, but I see it pretty difficult to sprite. Anyway, that shouldn't be a problem for our great spriters.

On the other hand, I'd like to see a version with the jewel in the end of the tail of the design that is still my favourite, Doug's serpent, the "Dolphin of the deserts". I'm still amazed at how elegantly it depicts both types, as well as being original and giving a helpful impression. And having an amazing background, too!

I had another great idea so I hope I'm not too late. Although G_T actually thought of using a warthog, I was recently inspired to do a very similar boar. It kind of plays off the idea that a boar represents the ground type. To add in the poison however, I thought it would be cool if the boar was infected by something. Like a rotting animal.

In this case, I decided to make the infection visible by having these poisonous growths (tentacles?) busting out of the boar. This seems a little odd for pokemon (perfect world no one gets sick) but really I'm surprised this hasn't been done. An infection seems perfect to represent poison typing. I drew some inspiration from the demon boar in the beginning of Princess Mononoke.

The viral limbs are great help when it comes to moving, attacking, etc. They are very strong and, as a result, the boar's other legs have kind of atrophied. His legs are not unusable, but his spine has curved giving his body an ill look and making it more suited to rolling. He could tuck his head down almost like donphan and roll forward allowing for the use of Rapid Spin.

Here is the design.

I am not sure if it will be considered with all the hype surrounding Cartoons' creature. It may not look like it wants to help but it does look like it will screw with the other team. Infect it maybe. I also think many of the other moves could be justified by the virus/infection. It also looks pretty fast but is also bulky enough for some of the spreads. Hope you like it. ;D

Gothic Togekiss has been heckling my submission for awhile, saying it wouldn't be able to walk to around with 8 of those huge hands getting in each other's way.

He was probably right...but they're hands anyway; there's no reason it couldn't walk around on four of them, leaving the other four to do 'hand stuff'.
The sheer awesomeness of your CAP creation has compelled me to post! While I am 100% captured by its design (esp. your earlier renditions of it hiding in the sand or making pop-culture-influenced hand signs), I don't really like the way you're forcing it to walk here. It seems rather awkward having to hold those hands out of the way, and robotic (in a bad, boring, not-whimsical way) in the way that it marches. I really see this guy somersaulting and doing cartwheels on those hands (unconventional locomotion in the vein of Hitmontop), rather than having to march like this. If you don't like that, how about walking like a spider walks? Just because it has 8 hands doesn't mean they can't be expertly coordinated. In fact, I can easily see this guy learning Agility!

I hope your design wins!

The more I think about Cartoon!'s art, the more I think it would be suited for an Arena Trap Revenge-killer. And the more I see it as an Arena Trapper, the more I don't think it fits our Utility-Pokemon concept.

And the more I think of this, the more I like the Smog Imp, especially with Insomnia.

You gotta, GOTTA, love cartoons's design. I mean is almost perfect, if not perfect.
There is one problem that I have with it however. It can clearly pass for a poison type, but what about ground? Sure it can burrow as one of its main gimmicks, but so can hitmontop...
I definitely think it looks more like steel than anything ground, seeing as its something of a machine.
This one reason is why I am pushed towards liking Elagune's design for this CaP project more. The hands design is incredible, but it can be saved for another project that involves a steel type, seeing as it can easily function perfectly as an offensive pokemon as well.
Please take these thoughts into consideration.

Well, I'd consider Ground a very abstract typing to categorize. If you look at Pokemon like Gliscor or Flygon, you'd probably pin them as Poison and Flying respectively if you didn't know any better. Even Donphan's design doesn't have anything that particularly says 'Ground', it's certainly not made of dirt or anything.

If I'd try to reason my long legs as a ground type, I'd say, yeah, it's well grounded, maybe it's hands are rubber or whatever. And it probably makes a way of life around burrowing far more than Hitmontop, who's schtick is the dance.

In any case, whichever submission gets picked, this CAP project has been a blast to design for.

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
My final design to be posted before I disappear tomorrow for god knows how long.

I feel more confident about this one than my other one.

The bible tells of the 4 Horsemen of the Apocalypse who would be sent to do bad things and stuff. Well, each Horseman brings with him his own thing, and one of the Horseman represents pestilence, which can be tied in with poison quite well. That horse was simply described as being black.

I decided to use that as a main jumping point for this guy, as he mixes in the description of a black horse somewhat. It's more or less a weird mixture of a wolf and a horse really.

The reinforced claws allow him to dig through the earth to rummage for food. The main diet consists of the roots of poisonous plants, which gets absorbed into the Pokemon's body over time, which affords extra protection against attackers.

If startled, it will immediately spray a mist of noxious gas from its nostrils to create a fog and dash away at high speeds. When all evasive maneuvers have been exhausted, the Pokemon can fight back with its powerful claws and horns. Its headplate can withstand large amounts of force and offers significant defense.

I've not come up with a decent name for him yet, so just welcome Mr. Horsey:

My final design to be posted before I disappear tomorrow for god knows how long.

The bible tells of the 4 Horsemen of the Apocalypse who would be sent to do bad things and stuff. Well, each Horseman brings with him his own thing, and one of the Horseman represents pestilence, which can be tied in with poison quite well. That horse was simply described as being black.

I decided to use that as a main jumping point for this guy, as he mixes in the description of a black horse somewhat. It's more or less a weird mixture of a wolf and a horse really.

The reinforced claws allow him to dig through the earth to rummage for food. The main diet consists of the roots of poisonous plants, which gets absorbed into the Pokemon's body over time, which affords extra protection against attackers.

If startled, it will immediately spray a mist of noxious gas from its nostrils to create a fog and dash away at high speeds. When all evasive maneuvers have been exhausted, the Pokemon can fight back with its powerful claws and horns. Its headplate can withstand large amounts of force and offers significant defense.

*awesome pic*
Well, all I can say is HOLY FREAKING CRAP THAT LOOKS AWESOME. But It doesn't look very much like a poison or ground type to me, it looks more like a dark type or ghost type. As pwnsome as it is, I don't think it really fits as a utility poke or a poison/ground poke. I definitely think we should save this for when a dark type comes along, I think it would win hands down.

I think that the best design for this CAP is the Daddy Longlegs. It just screams "utility" more than anything else that has been designed. I can see it being fast, yet capable of taking hits, and setting up almost anything. I do have to agree with Majesano that it looks more steel than ground, but I can completely see how it is ground at the same time. I do see this design being a problem to sprite, as it may look awkward/cluttered.

It looks Dark/Ground/poison but i love it. The claws and helmet scream ground type while the back story pulls it off.I doubt the ability to utility, though but i can see it pulling off gravity by producing such a dense fog of noixius fumes it weighhs down the pokemon and crap. But i'm crazy.

*AMAZING*
I wasn't lying when I said I loved your art and couldn't look forward to your ideas KoA. This has blown my away. I loved the nostalgia of the Desertman hybrid, but this has sheer awesome backing it up.
(As much as I love it though I have to be honest.)

I have to say though it doesn't fit the concept of utility very well. It seems more... fierce, for lack of a better word, than most 'helper' pokemon. I can definately picture this thing in action in my head. Running through the desert, evading, spraying gas, and overall being a beast of a pokemon. I can less see it passing wish or setting up any spikes. If my heart could vote, you would have it, yet my head tells me otherwise. :'(

I had another great idea so I hope I'm not too late. Although G_T actually thought of using a warthog, I was recently inspired to do a very similar boar. It kind of plays off the idea that a boar represents the ground type. To add in the poison however, I thought it would be cool if the boar was infected by something. Like a rotting animal.

In this case, I decided to make the infection visible by having these poisonous growths (tentacles?) busting out of the boar. This seems a little odd for pokemon (perfect world no one gets sick) but really I'm surprised this hasn't been done. An infection seems perfect to represent poison typing. I drew some inspiration from the demon boar in the beginning of Princess Mononoke.

The viral limbs are great help when it comes to moving, attacking, etc. They are very strong and, as a result, the boar's other legs have kind of atrophied. His legs are not unusable, but his spine has curved giving his body an ill look and making it more suited to rolling. He could tuck his head down almost like donphan and roll forward allowing for the use of Rapid Spin.

Here is the design.

I am not sure if it will be considered with all the hype surrounding Cartoons' creature. It may not look like it wants to help but it does look like it will screw with the other team. Infect it maybe. I also think many of the other moves could be justified by the virus/infection. It also looks pretty fast but is also bulky enough for some of the spreads. Hope you like it. ;D

My, my - I've just realised it's been far too long since I watched Princess Mononoke.

Anywaaaaaaay, I'd say it's current design doesn't cover enough of the utility moves people want. I'd try adding a gem on it's forehead or something to try and somewhat justify it's learning of reflect/light screen.
Design-wise, I'd like to see this thing with a snake for it's tail - similar to chimaera. It'd help with justifying the poison type which doesn't seem prominent enough yet. Other than that, real nice work. =]

Lorak

*leekspin*
is an Artist Alumnus
Just an exercise I wanted to do, of final evolutions:
Pokemon with Spikes (level up or Egg Move)

Of these, which would you say don't look like Spikers? I'd say Forretress (no sharp protrusions, just the cannons), Deoxys-D (way too smooth), and Froslass. Glalie and Skarmory are on the edge of sense, with one or two spiky protrusions, but Skarmory looks more offensive with those wings. Still, there is a theme with the majority of Spikers: rounded bodies, mostly armored, and spiky protrusions.

Let's try Toxic Spikes next:

Again, what doesn't seem to fit? Venomoth, in my opinion, Forretress as well. To a lesser extent, Tentacruel and Roserade, but they work off of the assumption of cnidocytes and rose thorns, respectively. Still, another theme: Pokemon with sharp protrusions, who happen to be associated with stinging or puncture injuries, who also are poisonous.

Gravity is where things get interesting...

Four of these Pokemon are "cute", three of them are squishy and balloonish. One is a ghost, and one happens to be a god. Still, the theme for Gravity seems to be mostly cute, squishy, and pliable.

Tailwind brings up one interesting counterexample within its list of users:

Suicune, the only non-avian on this list, is here only because it is "said to be the embodiment of the Northern Wind". All others are Flying types. Thus, if we want Tailwind, well, we need something that makes sense for generating gale-like forces.

Trick Room would spam the page with users, thanks to it being a TM. The general theme is Psychic Pokemon, yet the only Pokemon to learn it by level up is the Glitch Pokemon, Porygon-Z. Non-Psychic TM final evolutions besides it include Gengar, Kecleon, Spinda, Dusknoir, Palkia, Dialga, and Arceus, the final three obvious in their relation to space-time.

Our Wishing Pokemon theme is either cute-wish making, like Clefable, Togepi, etc, or more psychic-prophetic, like Xatu, Gardevoir, etc. I wouldn't say Illumse fits into the first category, but I could be wrong.

Our Rapid Spinners have a way of retracting their limbs into their shell / against their body, or are circular enough that spinning with their limbs out doesn't cause problems, or something. Blastoise, Forretress, Donphan, Sandslash, Cloyster, and Kabuto fit into the first, Starmie, Hitmontop, and Tentacruel into the other. Hitmonlee and Delibirt seem to be outcasts here.

Encore users would have hands, or are very vocal. There are some obvious counterexamples, but my hands hurt too much from typing this up in one go.

TL;DR: Spike protusions implies Spikes, poisonous Pokemon with said protrusions implies Toxic Spikes, cute Pokemon use Gravity well. Hands or vocal for Encore, small body, rounded body, or retractable limbs for Rapid Spin, cute or "prophetic" for Wish, strong winds or flying for Tailwind, space-time distortion or psionic powers for Trick Room.

-GEEZ, MAN!-
The one thing that really stuck out:
Holy shit, BLISSEY learns Gravity? That is seriously wacked.

Anyway, I just have to ask: do we HAVE to follow the "guidelines" and generalities made by GameFreak? I mean, they almost always (they themselves) put some exception to the "rules" of flavor they make, as you can see with Deoxys-D. If this is a stupid question, just tell me, but I'd really like to know.

Unrelated side-note:
Spiking Nidoking would kick ass.

Lorak

*leekspin*
is an Artist Alumnus
The one thing that really stuck out:
Holy shit, BLISSEY learns Gravity? That is seriously wacked.

Anyway, I just have to ask: do we HAVE to follow the "guidelines" and generalities made by GameFreak? I mean, they almost always (they themselves) put some exception to the "rules" of flavor they make, as you can see with Deoxys-D. If this is a stupid question, just tell me, but I'd really like to know.

Unrelated side-note:
Spiking Nidoking would kick ass.
Blissey learns it through breeding with a male Clefable, yes.

I'm just bringing up these points, because people say things don't "look" the role. I'm bringing up trends and counterexamples to these trends.

TL;DR: Spike protusions implies Spikes, poisonous Pokemon with said protrusions implies Toxic Spikes, cute Pokemon use Gravity well. Hands or vocal for Encore, small body, rounded body, or retractable limbs for Rapid Spin, cute or "prophetic" for Wish, strong winds or flying for Tailwind, space-time distortion or psionic powers for Trick Room.
Just pointing out that the Imp follows every pattern there, minus Tailwind. And if we wanted to stretch that a little, we could go with that one drawing, and the Tailwind coming from his tail.

Lorak

*leekspin*
is an Artist Alumnus
Just pointing out that the Imp follows every pattern there, minus Tailwind. And if we wanted to stretch that a little, we could go with that one drawing, and the Tailwind coming from his tail.
Was going to say that, but I didn't want to look biased in presenting the others.

EDIT: And great, no one will look back a page to see what I'm talking about. x_x

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I read it. Here's the catch: we're not Gamefreak. As long as we don't slap on random moves and abilities, and we have an explanation for each, we're good. We don't have to follow trends. Also, Daddy long-legs follows the spiking, cute, and encore categories. Tailwind could be accounted for by the physics of the wind going past all it's arms and hands. Trick room is a bit tricky, but then again, you could take it in the literal sense and it's "tricking" you into going slow/faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)