CAP 4 CAP 4 - Art Submission Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so since this is (I assume) coming to a close some time soon, I figured I'd just put the finishing touches on the SmogImp, and leave it be for the upcoming poll. I've spammed this thread more than enough.

So here's what I intend on being my last drawing on the Imp:

I brought in the Impy attitude, and made the focus of the tail's body the sand aspect. As I was thinking about it, I decided that the smog part would probably be rising, so the body of the tail would be mostly sand, with the smog flowing up above it. I went in and drew individual particles of sand and blurred them, hopefully bringing across enough movement that people see the tails constantly flowing and changing and evolving as I picture them. It's subtle, but I like it.

The image is largely sketchy, which fits the Imp's rebel character. I actually like the uncolored one a lot too, which showcases the sketchiness better than the colored one.

And, for the sake of the list of designs, or anyone else, who wants to look at the evolution of the guy, here's the three major steps we've gone through. You can just link to this post for that big list of designs.

I'm actually really proud of the fact that even though I was, more or less, open to any suggestions people said about the Imp (color, fangs, tail, etc.), he's come out of this process more or less the exact same as he came in. And man, has he gone through some iterations. I don't think there isn't a part of him that hasn't been changed at least once. He's gained some fangs and lost his original tail, but that's all that stuck.

So, uhm. I guess that's it. In summary, I guess I'll point you back to the original Imp post, which said (this is slightly edited):

I've come to realize that what we want this Pokemon to do, the design options we're suggesting, and the Pokemon's type just aren't matching up.

So I went a little abstract. I thought about the Pokemon that Wish, that support, and what they look like. Jirachi, Vaporeon, the rest. They're not gigantic lizard monsters. So Jirachi was my starting off point. A fairy, an elf, a sprite.

An imp.

A Smog Imp.

No matter what stats are decided, they'll work. This thing can be as fast, as strong, and as bulky as anyone wants because the precident has been set for all those things. Celebi, Jirachi, the Clef line, the Toge line, the 'Bull line. This design places him in the Fairy egg group, and thus will have access to all those utility moves that he's being made to use, whereas most of the other designs are going to have severly dense level up move lists which are going to look fake. Utility move, Utility move, Utility move, attack, Utility move. The Imp can have a handful in the level up list, and can pick up any others in his egg moves.

I can picture Tailwind coming out of his cloud of smog, dirt, and sand. Rapid spin could be his cloud spinning around like a tornado. Same thought could apply to whirlwind. He has the spikes. Gravity works. Wish works. Encore works. Haze definitely works. Perish Song. Trick Room.

There's very few moves in the original target list that I couldn't see apply.

Quite frankly, I really hope everyone likes this little guy, because I love him. I know a lot of people want to go the 'badass' route with everything, but this is Pokemon. They're allowed to be cute too (with a healthy extra helping of badass on the side). Pocket Monsters, remember?"

my personal favorite is definitely the armadillo.
it's perfect, i mean it has ground traits because armadillos live in the desert (i think), and poison because of it's poison spikes or whatever.
it's also passable as being fast, because it's small and can roll up in a ball.
and it's obvious that it looks defensive as well, it's a freakin' armadillo.

but i'm not too crazy about it's color scheme.

Brava, Absolution. I'm liking the new tail colours, the navyish over the acid green really helps it look more like what it's supposed to and less like, erm, a perpetual fart.

Taking this sudden silence as an excuse for some shameless advertising, as I think my submission got a little lost, perhaps.

WHY HALLO THAR

Again, based off an Oho Jee, can spin as depicted here, maniacal yet adorable. Can pull off most utility moves and a lot of Abilities that others might not be able to ( Frisk/Insomnia/Early Bird FTW ). Hopefully you already heard that enough though.

Any last-minute comments/suggestions?

I like yours Presumptuous, but I think it would be better as a basic Pokemon rather than an evolved form. It just doesn't look bulky enough or powerful enough to be final.
I definitely like the idea of making this the pre-evolved form of Cartoons design, as I believe you suggested earlier?

This is my rough draft submission for the CAP 4. I drew some inspiration from both Grimmer/Muk and Regigigas since he's as always had an earthy kind of look. I'm going to do this as fast as possible, so I am really looking for input. The leg that is protruding from the muk *no pun intended* is sand/gravel as is some of his body and a part of his limbs but I didn't want to go into too much detail since it's only a rough draft. Please help ASAP. It has a bulky look to it, but I can edit that in rendering to make him look more agile and look a little like a spinner if needed.

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
Hey, I finally got around to posting and scanning my designs, one of which I'm very meh about, whilst the second I am very proud of, considering my inspiration was bone dry for this cap.

The first design was a weird amalgamation of Desertman.Exe from Megaman Battle Network 3, and the Black Devil from Megaman X5. You could almost see how starved for ideas I was when the beast came into creation.

I was essentially going for a liquid beast that travels along the earth and ensnares foes from below. It merges with the dirt to become a sort of poisonous mudman.

I won't really elaborate anymore on this guy cuz he's a dead end now:

Desertman/Black Devil lovechild

Now this second design is quite fun for me. After entering a secondary rut of no inspiration, a muse came out of nowhere when I was replaying Castlevania: Curse of Darkness again and noticed the Cockatrice/Basilisk enemies. After that, I looked at my entry for the last Cap poke, the cockatrice inspired one, and felt I didn't want this idea to die out and had a sort of second wind going for me.

After almost all day of scribbling and erasing, I got him finally on paper and presentable enough to post for all. You can see the Basilisk in him from a glance as he has the cockscomb from the top of his head jutting out as an immediate allusion to the creature he is based from. However, this pokemon was more influenced by the Basilisk lizard than of the creature of myth.

The Basilisk lizard, also known as the Jesus Christ lizard for its ability to run atop of water, was named so for its crest which resembles a cockscomb. You can see more reptilian features portrayed in this piece as opposed to avian features.

The basilisk of myth was deemed to be so venomous that it left a wide trail of lethal poison in its wake, a trait that made it a most suitable source of inspiration.

The second thing I wanted to point out about this design is the strong set of legs it has. It can use these to run at great speeds and are powerful enough to clear any obstacles it may encounter in its travels. Should an intruder or attacker be spotted, it will fend off th foe with vicious venomous barbs and a spray of poison gas it can emit from the venom sac that encases the underbelly of this beast. If it is in a battle it cannot win, it will seek shelter by burrowing a hole underground with its powerful legs.

This will be elaborated more on tomorrow when I clean the piece up and color it. For now, just enjoy the image of:

The Great BasiloRaptor

I will be fully finished with him by tomorrow. :)

I like yours Presumptuous, but I think it would be better as a basic Pokemon rather than an evolved form. It just doesn't look bulky enough or powerful enough to be final.
I definitely like the idea of making this the pre-evolved form of Cartoons design, as I believe you suggested earlier?
Actually, that was someone else's idea, although I don't remember whose exactly. I really don't see the connection between this and Cartoon!'s design, though. I find it a very awkward transition, to be honest. :/

EDIT: I like your second idea KoA, although I'm worried it may not be able to use a lot of utility moves. It's a good design, albeit simplistic. Looking forward to the coloured version.

Actually, that was someone else's idea, although I don't remember whose exactly. I really don't see the connection between this and Cartoon!'s design, though. I find it a very awkward transition, to be honest. :/
*waves.*

Yeah, I don't know, I guess I've been on crack all this time. But no, seriously. Maybe not with the eyes quite so crazy like that. But the Daddy Long Legs has 8 legs! That thing has 8 feet! They're both crazy and sneaky! They've both got a spikey thing on their head! No? :P

*waves.*

Yeah, I don't know, I guess I've been on crack all this time. But no, seriously. Maybe not with the eyes quite so crazy like that. But the Daddy Long Legs has 8 legs! That thing has 8 feet! They're both crazy and sneaky! They've both got a spikey thing on their head! No? :P
Er, actually that was only 1/3.

Mine has two feet like everyone else, but they're "blurred", to show they're always moving about frantically ( hint: Tangled Feet ) like how they do in a lot of animes.
Also, Cartoons!'s creature has a spike on its butt, not its head.

Sorry. :þ

I was essentially going for a liquid beast that travels along the earth and ensnares foes from below. It merges with the dirt to become a sort of poisonous mudman.

I won't really elaborate anymore on this guy cuz he's a dead end now:

Desertman/Black Devil lovechild
Personally I like this guy. I'm a MM.EXE fan so I know well about Desertman's abilities, and seen footage of Black Devil. I image it being able to do all those utility moves just be morphing the sand around it. I kinda wish I could color it...well maybe I can.

No offense to whoever thought presumptuous' should evolve into cartoons', but I just don't see that at all. Nor do I think presumptuous' needs to be a basic pokemon. Nobody said our poke had to be very bulky or powerful. If you look at the stat submission thread, the spreads suggested by well respected people have one stand out stat: speed. I think this guy looks very fast indeed. He also looks very average at everything else, which is exactly what most of these spreads have. Not fragile, not bulky. Not helpless, but not powerful. That's what I see in his design. And it looks like it can do anything it wants to support wise. It's probably my 2nd favorite design. 1st is cartoons because I think that it's just an amazing idea and design that really has no chance of being used for any other cap. I mean what a waste if we let (no offense to djd) our super utility poke be wasted with a snake design. While we have an awesome handtastic spider thing that is perfect for the super utitlity concept.

If we don't care and are just looking for the most badass/cool looking design, then go with elagune's, his naga beast thing is one of the coolest looking things i've ever seen, with a reasonable back story for support movepool too. Though I don't see him having the kind of stats i see being suggested.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
No offense to whoever thought presumptuous' should evolve into cartoons', but I just don't see that at all. ... Nobody said our poke had to be very bulky or powerful.
This. Please, they look absolutely NOTHING alike. So what if they have some resemblence in the "feet" department. I think the Oho Jee is actually in motion, running in a cartoonish way. Also, the Smogimp, Daddy Longlegs, and the Oho Jee all look a bit frail, and fast. The art doesn't always have to be badass.

KoA

is an Artist
Just finished up the coloring of the Pokemon I have temporarily started calling Raptilisk. Hopefully this helps convey all my ideas across.

Don't be hatin'
I'm honestly not, ah, "hatin'." lol It's just my biggest problem with a lot of the other submissions is that, well, they don't really look like utility Pokemon. They look like they're going to rip your head off.

For example, Elagune's Naga is easily my favorite drawing out of the entire thread, it's awesome and a half. But it looks like it might seriously fuck you up. lol It doesn't look like it's supposed to support.

A lot of these lizards just doesn't follow what *I* feel a utility Pokemon should look like. That's all. Just personal preference, really. It seems like they were made more type first, with the purpose kinda slapped on arbitrarily with gems and stuff. If I weren't to vote for my own, it'd easily be Cartoons's, because that easily fits all the requirements - the types, the purpose, and the proposed stats that have been flying around the Stat thread. Plus its a fun drawing and I could see it as a real Pokemon. It reminds me of a spider-Aipom.

Just finished up the coloring of the Pokemon I have temporarily started calling Raptilisk. Hopefully this helps convey all my ideas across.

Wow this has blown me away! Just one thing: the colour reminds me of a steel type it should be brown, green,red.

KoA

is an Artist
I rather like the grayish color scheme because it's a nice earthy color, and compliments the green patches well. And when I made him brown, he looked like a sentient turd. :(

Hm. Well i see where your coming from. I guess he would fit in with the crocodiles in the sewers story, but pokemon style.

I admit those two designs don't look alike, but that's not why I said one should evolve into the other.
They just have the "flavour" to be related.
Magikarp doesn't look anything like Gyarados, but it evolves into it.
And many Pokemon don't look so similar to what they evolve into.
I don't really see much resemblance between Snorunt and Froslass.
But they work because of their flavour.

KoA

is an Artist
I will dedicate most of today trying to come up with a third design, so I'm not completely done yet. x)

Gothic Togekiss has been heckling my submission for awhile, saying it wouldn't be able to walk to around with 8 of those huge hands getting in each other's way.

He was probably right...but they're hands anyway; there's no reason it couldn't walk around on four of them, leaving the other four to do 'hand stuff'.

my personal favorite is definitely the armadillo.
it's perfect, i mean it has ground traits because armadillos live in the desert (i think), and poison because of it's poison spikes or whatever.
it's also passable as being fast, because it's small and can roll up in a ball.
and it's obvious that it looks defensive as well, it's a freakin' armadillo.

but i'm not too crazy about it's color scheme.
Yeah... after I colored it, I was like, "Well shit. This thing is waaay too colorful, even for a Pokemon." It seems that most Pokemon don't have more than two main colors on them.

I would do another coloring of it if more people liked it. Maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)