CAP 5 CAP 5 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey. here's an idea i had:

sort of a crossbreed of a stegosaurus, and ostrich and a catapult. with that said, there are some really creative ideas up here. My favourites so far are antarctros' clock, and hazmat's drum.

edit: final piece.
Wow, this looks pretty good. I don't think a skeleton dino has been done before. Plus, other than the eyes, it doesn't look too detached from Gamefreak's design. I'd be adding ths to the list of CAPs I'm keeping track of.

A gargoyle idea nis awesome, but two things.

1) its pure rock so no wings,
2) no levitate either. firstly, too much gets levitate, and secondly, it makes no sense for a winged pokemon of a single type to have levitate instead of flying type.
Carnivine, Cresselia, etc.

Cresselia makes sense b/c its wings are like anti-gravitational extensions of its body.

I guess Carnivine uses its left/right leaves as wings, without being a flying type.

It can make sense, if you try and think of what Nintendo was considering.

Also consider a Golem as the mythical creature of choice... (Not the current Pokemon Golem); Usually its a 2 legged human-shapped Beast formed completely of Rock, Earth, or sometimes Metal. Someone could try that, if they would like.

It may look like this:

Molten Lavaish Rock formations, perhaps it could know:
Over Heat, Heatwave, Focus Blast, Earth Power, Lava Plume, Magma Storm, Gunk Shot, Flash Cannon, Ancient Power, Power Gem, Shadow Ball (its ghostish), Extrasensory, Psychic, Roar of Time (it learns Ancient Power and seems to be ancient), etc.

Ability could be: Solid Rock, Heatproof, Magma Armor, White Smoke, Drought, etc.

It doesn't have to be a Fire type to have these Abilities either, just like Brozong isn't a Fire type with "Heatproof", Groudon has "Drought", and Shiftry has "Early Bird" (and it's not even a Bird).

This could be like a Sudowoodo, where it knows Grass Attacks like Wood Hammer, but isn't actually a Grass type, even though it looks like it is.

Seems like it roams the land, and uses the Earth Element.

Based on the picture it could use the following Special Attacks: Earth Power, Energy Ball, Power Gem, Mist Ball, Grass Knot, Solar Beam, etc.

The following Physical Attacks: Hammer Arm, EQ, Wood Hammer, Outrage, Leaf Blade,

Could have these Abilities: Rough Skin, Solid Rock, Overgrow (even though it wont be Grass, it would be cool), Drought, Solar Power, etc.

Here is a bigger picture of the Green one, I think that looks really cool (perhaps it could have grass attacks?) : http://www.ambientart.de/3d/gallery/charracters/Earth Golem.jpg

Of course these are not my drawings, but they could give new ideas to others attempting to create new pokemon, i read the 1/2 half of page 1, where someone suggested a Gargoyle, but if you want a more "Land Based" Rock type, try any of the above as a *GUIDELINE*, also it would be cool to have a rock type with characteristics of another type, kinda like Sudowoodo.

Wow, this looks pretty good. I don't think a skeleton dino has been done before. Plus, other than the eyes, it doesn't look too detached from Gamefreak's design. I'd be adding ths to the list of CAPs I'm keeping track of.

Do those count? As for your drawing, Zant, I don't really like how the hands are randomly at the back, and I really can't see that using Special Attacks. It's just a personal opinion, but maybe adding a new color or two somewhere in there would interest me more, it seems pretty monotonous now. But nice work. :)

Alright, time to see what you guys think of the final Rockstrich. I'm not really used to doing much shading, (why body may not look so rocky,) so this was quite the experience for me. Due to time constraints, I've only shaded in the regularly-colored one; the second posing one is an intended shiny color scheme.

Yes, that second one is supposed to be using Thunderbolt. It drew it that way to show the energy gathering in and around its tail crystals, but because of limitation of how I ended up coloring it I couldn't accurately depict it.

And now, as I promised, the backstory.

Rockstrich is prized as a very valuable pokemon by people all over the world in ancient times. Inside its igneous rock body is a hollow cavity in which grows many more gems like the ones protruding out of it. Unfortunately, because of people's greed for the rare gems, Rockstrich was hunted to extinction. However today, long-forgotten fragments of its crystals have been found embeded deep in ancient lava flows. Using the technology of ressurecting fossils, scientists are attempting to bring the species back into existance.

The mouth of an active volcano or lava flows serves as its nesting grounds, its territory including the surrounding terrain for miles. As it leaves its nest it is usually covered in molten lava that streams behind it as it sprints across the terrain. Because it only vists the nest and enters the lava to lay its eggs, this event is rare, and so ancient people have often mistaken it for a Pheonix.
Since it can take up to several thousand feet before it reaches the mouth of a volcano, Rockstrich has evolved streamlined legs of crystal for jumping up moutainsides. Because its crystals always grow with an irregular matrix pattern, they are not as strong as those found in the earth. If Rockstrich tries to run for too long or jump to high or hard, its legs will break; they do grow back, but it takes long periods of time to do so. Compared to other ROCK Pokemon, Rockstrich has a lightweight body, idealy suited for its fragile legs.

Now for explaining some about how I arrived at where I did for the story and design.

It started with finding out what color to use for the crystals; I knew I wanted it to be based off a geode, so I looked for a good combination of crystal-growing to appropriate rock. I ended up settling on Igneous Rock, specifically Basalt-like, in which the quartz that grows is most often Amethyst. (The shiny I arrived at after reading that when Amethyst is super-heated its color changes and is thereafter reffered to as Citrine.) Being of igneous rock also made sense when I read a little more on Quartz. The Irish word for quartz is grian cloch, which means 'stone of the sun'; fitting for a pokemon mistaken as a Phoenix, no? Also, of the four astrological signs with which Amethyist is associated, two are fire signs.

I kept with the Ostrich look throught most of it if possible. And actually, as it is now, it resembles the Moa more closely than an ostrich; for the extinct cousin of the Ostrich is not only a flightless bird, but also completely lacked wings altogether. Another piece that fit well, is the story of the Fenghuang, the Chinese Phoenix. It is described as being a chimeric creature, of which the beak of a rooster, the neck of a snake, the legs of a stag, and the tail of a peacock also the Rockstrich has. On top of that, it is speculated that the Fenghuang's originates from ice-age drawings of the Asian Ostrich.

Also, Rockstrich would be too frail to ride, so please don't call a Rock Chocobo. Because it isn't.

...phew! This is my Final Submission, and I'm glad to be done with working on it. I truly hope you guys like it, and decide to vote for me in the polls; I've spent more work on this one concept/design than any other previous drawings of mine. \(^_^)/
Great and well-thought-out idea. I like the drawing too.

*wishes to ride it*

CyzirVisheen

Am I poplar yet?
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
CHECKMATE.

lol, please excuse the poor quality of the image, I had to take a pic of it since my scanner's temporarily borked. Anyway, this is my second design, the chess piece concept. This is the King, to be exact. To be honest, I was actually considering making it the Queen, since it's one of the most powerful pieces in chess. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized the Queen was better suited as a Physical type, rather than the Special type we're trying to create. The ball it floats on spins at a pretty high speed, almost as much as Electrode. Even though it seems much slower due to its body, the ball segment's actually not attatched to itself. Rather, as you can notice with the arm segments, its body floats above the ball segment. Thus, the only thing limiting its speed is how much the body can keep up with the ball segment. Additionally, because the limbs are segmented, it can't put too much force into hitting the opponent, since the material its made of is quite brittle and if one piece breaks, it loses the ability to keep itself together. Like the actual King in chess, this pokemon tries to stay as far away from the enemy as much as possible, as even though it looks bulky it can actually be KOed quite easily.

*SMALL DESIGN NOTE. The last stone segment on the arms, the one attatched to its hands, were actually supposed to be white, like the beard and the cloak lining. However, I wasn't paying attention, so I made a bit of a mistake :P. I'll have it correct on the finalized versions.

Any changes needed to be made, like design choices, color choices, etc.?

Throwing my hat...just a little outside of the ring in support of Zanti and BoneArmor's designs

By the way, Cyzir, great work as usual. Any chance you could sketch up a female counterpart to the King? I'd love to see how you handle a Queen piece. The Queen being the most powerful and far reaching piece on the board would lend to the strong and fast build well, I think (though the King's vulnerability also lends well to its low defense).
Would you consider changing the colour though? As he is, he strikes me as a little Santa Clause-ish

Couldn't Zant's design be four legged like it suggest, because to me it looks more like a zombie horse with rare disease that made it crippled in life. :c

CyzirVisheen

Am I poplar yet?
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Throwing my hat...just a little outside of the ring in support of Zanti and BoneArmor's designs

By the way, Cyzir, great work as usual. Any chance you could sketch up a female counterpart to the King? I'd love to see how you handle a Queen piece. The Queen being the most powerful and far reaching piece on the board would lend to the strong and fast build well, I think (though the King's vulnerability also lends well to its low defense).
Would you consider changing the colour though? As he is, he strikes me as a little Santa Clause-ish
Hmm... I've actually done some sketches of the Queen, but nothing inked and colored yet. I might have it up by tomorrow with my final King design.

Also, what, you have something against Santa? :P
I was actually considering making the red purple instead, but do you have any other color suggestions?

I can't stop looking at your gif. ^-^

Finally got around to coloring my sketch. I didn't get very many comments or criticism when I first posted the sketch, so I'm hoping this colored version will get more feedback. If not, this will be my final submission. :\

The green parts of it are jade- I wanted something that wasn't the typical gray granite that you see on almost all rock Pokemon (i.e., something that would "break the mold"). The jade idea also stems from its Chinese origin since I based it on the qilin.
I don't have a solid biography for it yet, but I was thinking that it was originally a jade statue that was brought to life by some enchantment... except the enchantment kind of failed and only made parts of it organic, leaving some parts of it still actual jade.
You can see my original post and explanation of this creature here. Hope you guys like this colored version.

CHECKMATE.

lol, please excuse the poor quality of the image, I had to take a pic of it since my scanner's temporarily borked. Anyway, this is my second design, the chess piece concept. This is the King, to be exact. To be honest, I was actually considering making it the Queen, since it's one of the most powerful pieces in chess. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized the Queen was better suited as a Physical type, rather than the Special type we're trying to create. The ball it floats on spins at a pretty high speed, almost as much as Electrode. Even though it seems much slower due to its body, the ball segment's actually not attatched to itself. Rather, as you can notice with the arm segments, its body floats above the ball segment. Thus, the only thing limiting its speed is how much the body can keep up with the ball segment. Additionally, because the limbs are segmented, it can't put too much force into hitting the opponent, since the material its made of is quite brittle and if one piece breaks, it loses the ability to keep itself together. Like the actual King in chess, this pokemon tries to stay as far away from the enemy as much as possible, as even though it looks bulky it can actually be KOed quite easily.

*SMALL DESIGN NOTE. The last stone segment on the arms, the one attatched to its hands, were actually supposed to be white, like the beard and the cloak lining. However, I wasn't paying attention, so I made a bit of a mistake :P. I'll have it correct on the finalized versions.

Any changes needed to be made, like design choices, color choices, etc.?

What!

this is my chess bishop Pokemon idea, just more digimonized and using a king piece.
Even the orb below its base its the same.
I am so disappointed.

I'm going to have my final versions up tomorrow, taking into account the suggested changes (blade tail etc).

Just wondering, which should I go for? The snake or the fox? I'm leaning towards the snake, since the fox is similar to Regi DS's submission. And which colour scheme should I use? Someone suggested reddish-brown skin with blue crystals. But I actually like the current sandy skin with red crystals. I'll tone down the red, though. Any other suggestions for the colouring?

Original post is here.

Altough my first submissions didn't get much comments, (lol zero) I desided to work on the design and colours some more, and this is what I could do with my, not so good, picture editing skills. I hope this gets atleast some comments or criticism :toast:

Oh and yeah, this is my final submission.

I'm going to have my final versions up tomorrow, taking into account the suggested changes (blade tail etc).

Just wondering, which should I go for? The snake or the fox? I'm leaning towards the snake, since the fox is similar to Regi DS's submission. And which colour scheme should I use? Someone suggested reddish-brown skin with blue crystals. But I actually like the current sandy skin with red crystals. I'll tone down the red, though. Any other suggestions for the colouring?

Original post is here.
The snake resembles Origin Giratina a lot, but still a good design. I'd go with the first fox, the one with more Crystals.

Go with the serpent, Wichu. It's by far the better of your three designs.

I don't see the harm in having a crippled horse Pokemon. If there's a downside, I'd like to hear it.
It's more of peference really. I just don't like how it's hind leg look like shrunken hands. It would look cool if it was a quadruped. Skeleton horse is a great idea to have.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
CHECKMATE.
Cyzir, I really like this design!

The chess concept fits Rock very well (although InHell13 came up with it first). I think I would have gone with the Queen, since she is such a fast and powerful peice. The King is *slow*. All chess peices have "poor defenses" - in that even the lowliest pawn can "faint" any other peice. The Queen is awesome through speed and power. The King is defenseless because it can't move very quickly.

Regardless of the nuances of chess connotations, your design is very well done. It looks fantastic, and I can totally envision this design in the real game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)