CAP 5 CAP 5 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
please help me decide which color suits better in my Pokemon

How about you keep them both, one for shiny ;)

I really like Lofty's and Doug's atm, Planets and comets are new to pure Rock types (the closest we have are Lunatone/Solrock, and they are the Sun/Moon and have psychic typing).

Giving my props to Lofty, you did an amazing job. I could see you put in tons of work into it, with so many different types of pictures for your creation.

Before this poll ends, I gotta give some major respect to all of the artists. There was a lot of stuff I would have never thought of (extra props to the rock-based chess piece and totem pole idea, brilliant!).

When the poll comes, please do not lobby for yourself/shoot other stuff down -- give positive feedback to others and let your art speak for itself.

Also, if you felt like your piece didn't get enough attention -- we've almost all been there. It's just a few punches you have to roll with. Trying again next time might yield unexpected results, not trying will yield predictably nothing.

I don't really like how the hands are randomly at the back
i thought that it would be cool for him to use his front legs as a fulcrum for catapulting rocks and stuff with his back hands. so it's not really random...if you just think it's ugly, i don't have much of a defence. thanks for the feedback. also that gif is awesome, cartoons!, i hadn't noticed BoneArmor's dude, he seems like a really good match for the concept.

i thought that it would be cool for him to use his front legs as a fulcrum for catapulting rocks and stuff with his back hands. so it's not really random...if you just think it's ugly, i don't have much of a defense.
It's not ugly. It's more like we...well I didn't understand the meaning behind the smaller back legs until now. After understanding why you chose that design it make much more sense now.

CyzirVisheen

Am I poplar yet?
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I followed most of the advice I got, and changed the red to purple, reduced the amount of arm segments and made it more compact. Also, I got rid of the angry eyebrows.

Compare:

and

Unless there are any other suggestions for changes, I WILL CONSIDER THIS MY FINAL SUBMISSION.

Ah, and much thanks to Inhell 13 and cyberzero. Inhell for coming up with the chess concept in the first place and cyberzero for convincing me to combine my previous idea with the chess concept. Also, I agree with Caladbolg~, go with the white one.

Calad

Hero of the Blue Flames
is an Artist Alumnus
I followed most of the advice I got, and changed the red to purple, reduced the amount of arm segments and made it more compact. Also, I got rid of the angry eyebrows.

Compare:

and

Unless there are any other suggestions for changes, I WILL CONSIDER THIS MY FINAL SUBMISSION.

Ah, and much thanks to Inhell 13 and cyberzero. Inhell for coming up with the chess concept in the first place and cyberzero for convincing me to combine my previous idea with the chess concept. Also, I agree with Caladbolg~, go with the white one.
I really like this art, but you should considered that "King" in chess is a slow piece, au contraire, the queen is very speed. If we applicated this to Pokemon, maybe The queen has to be special-faster and The king has to be physical-slow.

Compare:

and

I like it, but I wish the crown and the beard could be worked "into" the pokemon a bit better. It looks like he raided a treasure trove before the picture was taken :]

I'm imploring you, find a way to work them in rather than show such a stark contrast between the pokemon and what he's wearing.

Cyzir, to be perfectly honest I preferred your old version of King chess piece better than your new one. The new one seem to lose that flair it had when had more arm pieces/taller. My other problem is that you should have went with the Queen instead of the King. She's more powerful than the King and would suit the concept better.

If you truly want to keep the King, then my advice is to fuse his cloak shut, shorten his beard a bit, and possibly remove the orb & two connector pieces from the bottom. Having it float would probably make people think it's fast.

CyzirVisheen

Am I poplar yet?
I really like this art, but you should considered that "King" in chess is a slow piece, au contraire, the queen is very speed. If we applicated this to Pokemon, maybe The queen has to be special-faster and The king has to be physical-slow.
Ah, I've considered that. The main problem is that while the Queen may be speedy, it also takes pieces by charging right into them, exactly like a physical attacker... That said, I do have an alternate work-in-progress Queen piece, but I'm not sure I can get it out in time...

I like it, but I wish the crown and the beard could be worked "into" the pokemon a bit better. It looks like he raided a treasure trove before the picture was taken :]

I'm imploring you, find a way to work them in rather than show such a stark contrast between the pokemon and what he's wearing.
Hmm, I'll see what I can do about that...

First of all Cyzir, thanks for the credit, it really brightened up my day. =)
Second of all, that was pretty awesome. Few nitpicks, I think the eyes shouldn't be the same color as the body, I'd prefer to have Tentacruel eyes, including the black underneath. Glalie can also be a possibility.

Maybe also a larger or connected base, because it just doesnt seem stable enough to stay on the ground nor "strong" enough to have the ability Levitate. See how the base is just as big as the ring above, and on most Kings, it's larger. And I really have to bring in Kingman.EXE as an example.

Another random idea, maybe the piece "inside" of him, the one around his coat, could be a pawn, that way we can make a few prevo's. We can make it seem like the pawn added stuff to itself, kinda like how Weezing is like enlarging the Koffing, instead of becoming something new altogether.
Once again, great job, and please don't take any of this offensively, just a few ideas on how I thought it could be improved :)

EDIT: I also thought maybe the crown could be replaced by this kind of thing:

That way, it would still be a crown head, but still represent rock without looking too out of place and humanlike. Then again, Medicham and Machamp have clothes, so you can ignore that completely if you want.

InHell13, I think you should keep the white one, but also make the arms a little more defined and inorganic, solid like a rock, if you know what I mean ;P
It's still going to be in the competition despite the also ingenious Clockmon and Kingman, because it looks the most "special", frail, and speedy.

Antarctros, I love your idea because of the originality as well as the many abilities it can have.
Slow Start, Insomnia, Early Bird, Levitate, Own Tempo, Soundproof, Unburden, and Vital Spirit are a few that come to mind.

Excellently done once again Cyzir. I think Cyberzero has some good advice. I am not to sure on the eyes though; don't know how they will look. I personally like that it is a King, and I like that it has that orb on the bottom to make it look like it can go fast.

Actually, it would be cool if his body was made of a precious gemstone or something. I don't know if that was what you were going for but it could be more glossy.

Calad

Hero of the Blue Flames
is an Artist Alumnus
One day left, no?

With these advice, Cyzir has to improve is Kingmon, but, please, don't give it more built, because it seems "Borderline"[Not tier xD] physical.

Also, I think you must give to it more assymetry, cause', with those hexagonal-perfect-bases, it looks like steel-type.

Caladbolg's post just sparked an idea, maybe instead of having the coat go in a straight line, which makes it look bulky despite the actual chess piece in the interior, you could have it curve, which would lose some of the bulk idea as well as give the "illusion" of more speed.

See how it's skinnier towards the top and gradually becomes more bulky as opposed to yours being a stick and then the three bulky pieces at the base? The "pawn" in the interior can still stay the same, but if the coat gradually increases outward, it would be better, in my opinion. That would also get rid of the need of having a larger or connected base, which I mentioned in one of my earlier posts.

CyzirVisheen

Am I poplar yet?
Blah, I started working on the King's revisions, but I can't go on much further tonight. Stupid Photoshop shut down literally as I was saving the finished Queen, so I had to redo all the work I did... And I have to work early tomorrow. Anyway, I'm still sticking to the King design, but I'd just like to show the Queen's design.

LonelyNess

Makin' PK Love
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just posting to say how much I love Lofty's final submission. I think that it fits CAP 5 perfectly, and it has so much potential in terms of Ability/Movepool etc... Plus I think that it's the best in terms of showing how well it works with existing Pokemon. I mean, I can barely tell that the Pwning Comet and Garchomp AREN'T already in the same game. And it's not just that one picture, all of the Pokemon mesh well with the Comet.

Also, on the note of the Garchomp pic.... We've seen all of those dinky pebble-like Ancient Powers... but that's how a REAL Pokemon uses Ancient Power!

what if cyzir's is a dual form, one form male, one female? no difference in stats, just very different sprites? it spices things up a bit, without eliminating a perfectly viable art idea

what if cyzir's is a dual form, one form male, one female? no difference in stats, just very different sprites? it spices things up a bit, without eliminating a perfectly viable art idea
I kinda like that idé, because i think it fits them better.

But i like Inhells version more. Because I like that it looks so cute and undagerous but then it starts to rape your team.

The only bad thing about the male female difference is that the spriters would have to work extra hard. Other than that it is a great idea.

Blah, I started working on the King's revisions, but I can't go on much further tonight. Stupid Photoshop shut down literally as I was saving the finished Queen, so I had to redo all the work I did... And I have to work early tomorrow.
Aw man, it's the worst thing in the world when that happens! I've had entire projects fall apart because of working for several hours on something, losing it all, and not having the drive to start again the next morning ... =/

Anyway, I'm still sticking to the King design, but I'd just like to show the Queen's design.[/IMG]
I actually like the Queen better than the King! It just looks so much more like a Special sweeper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)