CAP 5 CAP 5 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I'm practically at the final stage. Which of these looks the best?

Original colouring.

Second colouring, suggested by Deucalion.

Final colouring, with similar colours to my other submission.

Go with the brick red/sapphire one. The lighter tan with ruby on it could be it's shiny.

Cyzir~ You queen design is amazing. Display better at a fast special sweeper than you king. Now if only you enter that instead of the King you would strike rich within the art poll. Since you're entering the King, you could use the Queen image for your female sprite or we could use the Queen the same way they did NidoKing&Queen. Same pokemon species, same naming, slightly different stats.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Cyzir, your queen design is beautiful. I approve it :D

And Wichu, I prefer the sapphire art; ruby one could be the shiny form.

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Blah, I started working on the King's revisions, but I can't go on much further tonight. Stupid Photoshop shut down literally as I was saving the finished Queen, so I had to redo all the work I did... And I have to work early tomorrow. Anyway, I'm still sticking to the King design, but I'd just like to show the Queen's design.
If your design wins, why not use the King picture for the male sprite and the Queen picture for the female sprite?

Hey Tennis,

If I'm not too late can this be added as part of my FINAL ART. Along with the other versions of it.

A very quick possible color scheme mock up version of my submission.

Thanks in advance.

I'm liking the idea of the different sprites for male and female chess pieces.
And Wichu, I think I like the red one better.
I was trying to see if the tan one would work, but I just like the red one better.

1. I'm not sure pokemon works that way, male/female sprites of the same pokemon don't have two completely different sprites.

2. You'd be giving spriters twice as much to do. I'd rather move on and get another CAP started in the time it took for that.

i agree with the male/female chess sprite thing. yes, it gives spriters twice as much to do, but it also makes it 2 times better. its possible that we give the male and female each a signature move. i think that would be pretty cool. like the male has an attack with a lot of power but low accuracy that no other pokemon has, and the queen has a weaker but more accurate move that no other pokemon has.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Wichu have the red one as main coulor and blue as shiny.
And Wichu, I prefer the sapphire art; ruby one could be the shiny form.
Final coloring is determined by the spriters. Typically, the spriters stay close to the designer's color for the normal sprites, but pick their own colors for the shiny. I already pointed this out earlier in this thread. On top of that, designers can only submit one design picture, therefore, one color scheme.

I'm not sure I like the hair on the chess piece very much, Cyzir, as it strikes me as very unqueen-like.

The cliche, I think, is that queens are above having to worry about their long hair getting in the way.
Often they'll wear their hair short, tight, and elegantly so it can't move about.

or they'll simply cover their hair completely

Also, it might help to have the Pokemon more closely resemble the chess piece it's supposed to represent. Both the king and the queen have very distinct head pieces. The king is a tapered cylinder with a small cross on top while the queen is rounded and topped with a sphere. We don't need literal interpretations of these, but a researched, grounded design always resonates better, I find.

Finally, I don't think you need to worry too much about streamlining the design to further enforce the idea of speed. Frankly, I don't see what getting from point A to point B quickly has all that much to do with combat of any kind, much less Special Attacking, where a contest of speed can be more easily likened to who can 'draw' first.
Alakazam isn't the swiftest runner, but his focused mind probably means he has great reaction time which allows him to fire off his Psychic attacks before his opponent can move. Reaction time doesn't need to be applied to every aspect of a Pokemon's speed, but it's a handy explanation for when you want to explain why a starfish has a higher base speed than a horse.

CyzirVisheen

Am I poplar yet?
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I'm not sure I like the hair on the chess piece very much, Cyzir, as it strikes me as very unqueen-like.

The cliche, I think, is that queens are above having to worry about their long hair getting in the way.
Often they'll wear their hair short, tight, and elegantly so it can't move about.

or they'll simply cover their hair completely
Ah, didn't notice that. I kind of liked the hair though...

Also, it might help to have the Pokemon more closely resemble the chess piece it's supposed to represent. Both the king and the queen have very distinct head pieces. The king is a tapered cylinder with a small cross on top while the queen is rounded and topped with a sphere. We don't need literal interpretations of these, but a researched, grounded design always resonates better, I find.
That's interesting. I tried to stay close to that, but I didn't notice the ball part on the Queen's crown.

That can easily be remedied. As for the King, I actually did make a cross on the crown. I should make a bit bigger though...

Ok, this is my final art, only if i am allowed to replace it later if i have time to draw a better one (before the CAP art submission is closed obviously).

For those that missed my explanation earlier, it is meant to be a controller of sand, and flies/levitates/whatever across the desert, making the sand wakes behind it. it could control the sand to blast it at the opponent, it could make a shield with it (kind of like Gaara from Naruto?), and it can also blast elements out of it's palms, as there are holes there.

this was my response to a speedy special oriented rock type. took me a long time to think of.

Cyzir, the queen is an awesome idea, as well as a great pic.
But I respect your choice to go on with the King, so here's a suggestion. Maybe for one hand you can give it a staff/cane, which I think Kings have sometimes, and then you can end it with a crystal orb, thus emphasizing the special sweeping.

AND I also don't think we should have them in separate sprites. NidoKING and NidoQUEEN? Let's base something off that, with a prevo, then two separate evos, or a single evo branching off depending on whatever gender.

I like the last king rendition Cyzir. I also think the Queen is too awesome to just let slip by. We should either make it the dual sprite like people are suggesting (not the best option, but better than nothing), make an actual different pokemon that perhaps stems from one preevo with different stats/movepool (ala the Nidos), or just say that is the case without actually implementing it (this would be easier, but it would need to be official).

neutral base form of a pawn

male becomes a rook, female becomes a bishop

male becomes a king, female becomes a queen

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
The problem is, that will almost force Cyzir's art to be used, since there is no other "two form" art. I'm going to have to say he's going to have to pick between the king or the queen like everyone else. During spriting however, if someone wants to use it for the female, thats fine. For now though, he can only submit one.

Gryphon is awesome. i like the idea for the dex description it can say its wings aren't used for fying but for great speed(saw someone post that).

Final Submission - Sand Serpent

It's based on a sea serpent. But isn't this supposed to be a Rock type, you may ask? Yes, it's a Rock type. A sea serpent which doesn't live in the sea. Instead, it freely swims through sand.
As for the main concept, it fits rather well. It clearly looks like a Rock type. However, it looks as if it could be fast, with a thin, streamlined body. And it could easily be a capable special attacker, with gemstones in its body amplifying its power. I can envision it using a wide range of special attacks, such as Flamethrower, Earth Power, and of course, Power Gem. Also, unlike most Rock types, it lacks arms and legs, suggesting that it's not much of a physical attacker. Granted, it looks like it could fire off an Earthquake or a Stone Edge, but then, so can many other special sweepers, such as Latios or Heatran.
About the design changes, I decided to repeat the rugged stone section on its head further down the body. This made it look more natural. Also, I replaced the orb on its tail with a blade, as was suggested. This gives it a more streamlined appearance, suggesting a high Speed stat. Finally, I changed the colour scheme, as some people said it looked too much like Giratina, and others too resemblant of a Ground type. I feel I've managed to address those issues.

Well, good luck to everyone. I'd also like to add that I did this because I felt many of the other designs were too un-Pokémon-like. This is still the case, but to a lesser extent. After all, it's hard to envision a Rock special sweeper, is it not?

bojangles

IF YOU TRULY BELIEVE,
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
This is going to be one hard choice. I really like Cadabolg~'s, Wichu's, and Lofty's, but I don't know which is my favorite :(.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Sowwy Wichu. Updated, and there's only 3 hours left, so I'm going to need an answer for Cyzir and others who think I missed their art.

cyzir's isn't even my favorite, but i'm gonna encourage him to submit the queen...people seem to like that one a lot more.

Man, so many entries, only one can go on...
Anyway, I think the Queen/King is a great idea, but I just dont see how it could be a Rock type. It looks more of a normal or steel type to me. Maybe if someone explained why it was rock it would be better (cause right now it doesnt have any features that make it look rock type, like colors, assymmetry, or cracks)

Bull of Heaven

Lofty's comet is my favorite, but I wouldn't mind at all if Cyzir's queen won. I would submit the queen, Cyzir.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)