CAP 4 CAP 4 - Sprite Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only problem with Atyroki's spidey version is that though the eyes are a simple black/white colour swap, if it was actually in D/P, the palette swap would also screw over the black outlining.

First one: Regular DLL, right?
7th one: Could be the female sprite!
2nd one: Could be the male shiny. It just needs the pupils.
8th one: Female shiny? Seems fine to me.
I like it pupil-less :(

and don't you mean 6th one, not 7th, I don't get why you'd
single out the 7th as the female sprite ._.

I'll be putting in a big edit, shiny, backsprites and all.

I decided to lighten the purple on the new coloring, since I figured that's what people preferred from the old one. However, I didn't like the bright purple so I did somewhat of a happy medium of the two.

New shiny colors. I can't say I adore them, but w/e. I'll mess around with them some more later.

OK, here are all the front sprites. Backsprites will hopefully be up within the hour:

OK, the backsprites are up now. As you may or may not see, the ball and socket joints from before have been more or less hidden. Thinking about it from a realistic point of view, the majority of the ball would be inside the DLL, with only a small part of the sphere portruding. If more was showing, the ball would pop out. With that in mind, I tries to make them there but not as big. I'll be fooling around with the shading more later, as it isn't as good now.

I said this before, but the shiny coloring is new. I like it more than any of my previous ones, but still not that much. Whatever.

If you highlight some of my old sprites, you may notice little white spots on them. This is because when I used the transaprency tool on Photobucket, it didn't get rid of all of the white background. This is no longer an issue thanks to my discovery of Paint.NET, which is basically Photoshop (which is free as well? since when?) for all intents and purposes.

Comments please.

It wasn't for me. I only got a 30 day trial. =/

Oh well, I have something that works just as well now, so no worries. I just use regular Paint to sprite anyhow.

It's free when you've got bittorrent :A

Thing about the back sprites, there's less of the bottom section (between
the purple and the drill, same colour as the head) then there is in the front
sprite, or at least it looks that way >>

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
OK, here are all the front sprites. Backsprites will hopefully be up within the hour:

OK, the backsprites are up now. As you may or may not see, the ball and socket joints from before have been more or less hidden. Thinking about it from a realistic point of view, the majority of the ball would be inside the DLL, with only a small part of the sphere portruding. If more was showing, the ball would pop out. With that in mind, I tries to make them there but not as big. I'll be fooling around with the shading more later, as it isn't as good now.

I said this before, but the shiny coloring is new. I like it more than any of my previous ones, but still not that much. Whatever.

If you highlight some of my old sprites, you may notice little white spots on them. This is because when I used the transaprency tool on Photobucket, it didn't get rid of all of the white background. This is no longer an issue thanks to my discovery of Paint.NET, which is basically Photoshop (which is free as well? since when?) for all intents and purposes.

Comments please.
I'm pretty sure backsprites can't "disappear" through the left side. In battle, backsprites are positioned against the lower edge of the screen, but they are in the middle. Therefore, your back sprite will look like the left part of the sprite is "chopped off". You can only "cutoff" your sprite on the lower edge. The left and right side must be "whole". That's a lot of words in quotes there, but hopefully you know what I mean.

I'm pretty sure backsprites can't "disappear" through the left side. In battle, backsprites are positioned against the lower edge of the screen, but they are in the middle. Therefore, your back sprite will look like the left part of the sprite is "chopped off". You can only "cutoff" your sprite on the lower edge. The left and right side must be "whole". That's a lot of words in quotes there, but hopefully you know what I mean.
Wyverii's does that too, though, doesn't it?

DougJustDoug

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Since the sprite poll is coming up, I finally knuckled down and made a backsprite. I haven't finalized all the shading and details, but I'm probably going to stick with this pose. I've already spent a lot more time spriting than I ever planned in the first place....

Here's the back:

Here's the front:

EDIT: I just noticed I forgot the hole/spot/thingy on his left-hand palm in the backsprite. I knew something was missing! I'll correct it tomorrow.

I like my front sprite more, but damn if your backsprite isn't awesome ._.

Though I'd like to note that pokemon sprites have a limit of 16 colours, whereas
yours has 20 >>

DougJustDoug

I like my front sprite more, but damn if your backsprite isn't awesome ._.

Though I'd like to note that pokemon sprites have a limit of 16 colours, whereas
yours has 20 >>
I need to go back through the palette and get rid of some colors. I stopped counting somewhere in the middle of one of the multiple reshading efforts, and picked up a few unnecessary "nearly black" colors and some others. I meant to clean it all up when I settled on a design, shading, and coloring scheme. I guess now is that time....

I'm just amazed at how good you got a spriting so fast, your syclant sprite is
(no offense) pretty mediocre, but this one is incredible >>

Your backsprite is incredible Doug. My only complaint is how the head is so far out, if you could maybe pull it in a little it may look less out of place.

But other than that your backsprite is everything I wish mine could be.

DougJustDoug

Here is an update to my backsprite. I've been playing with the color palette to reduce any unnecessary colors.

For CAP pokemon there is no color limit to the sprites. On Shoddy, we can implement whatever we think looks good. However, all ingame Pokemon sprites have 16 colors or less (even though the DS can easily display a lot more). Therefore, if CAP spriters use way too many colors, it might not look consistent with other pokemon sprites.

Personally, I'm not obsessed with hitting 16 colors on the nose. However, I don't want to go overboard and do full-blown gradient shading and have 100 colors in my PNG. I'd prefer to use however many colors are necessary to create a good-looking pokemon-ish sprite. Although I haven't been counting colors on anyone else's sprites -- from what I've seen, it looks like everyone is sticking to a reasonably small color palette.

I'd like some input on the possible color palette I will use for my sprite. Since I am working on the back sprite, I'll use it for illustration purposes. Here is my current backsprite, with three different color palettes. 18 colors, 16 colors, and 15 colors.

18 colors ->

16 colors ->

15 colors ->

The eighteen color version looks best artistically, and utilizes all the colors I think are "necessary" to render the sprite in the way I consider "properly". Take note that I am intentionally half-toning on the purple joints and armbands. I could easily add another half-shade of purple and have a more gradual color transition. BUT, half-toning (aka dithering) is commonly used in pokemon sprites (particularly backsprites). So I think the dithering makes the sprite look more "pokemon-ish", even though artistically, I could make it smoother with the simple addition of another color. I'm sticking with the dithering.

In the 18-color version, I am using a few half-shades to smooth some color transitions, particularly in the hands. I've spent a lot of time on the hands of my sprites, and I've used several colors in the hands to express all the subtle nuances of the hand posing and design. This was very intentional on my part.

In the 16 color version, I removed some half-shades in the head, which doesn't affect the overall aesthetic of the sprite very much at all. The hands are still "fully shaded".

In the 15-color version, I removed one of the half-shades in the hands. This creates a more distinct color transition to the shaded areas of the hands.

So, here's the dilemma -- Which color palette is best? The bigger palette looks artistically smoother, but some may think it is "too smooth". The smaller palettes have more abrupt color transitions, but people may think they look "more pokemon-ish" and therefore preferable.

Since my entire sprite project has been a personal exercise in listening to feedback from others, I figured I'd solicit some comments on this as well. If this stuff is too detailed for you to notice any real difference, that's fine too.

I'll be honest: I don't see any difference in the three sprites. I find all of them equally good, and I really don't see nay difference in the coloring at all.

Take my view as the one of someone without any art education, but I think all of them are equal >_>

I miss the half-shades on the hands, but I feel the red head does better without them, go figure.

There's merit in trying to conform to the restrictions of any given job, in this case, the self-imposed 16 color limit. The challenge is in creating something great within that 'box', and I think you've done that admirably with that sprite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)