CAP 4 CAP 4 - Sprite Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally like Elevator Music's sprites. Everyone else did an excellent job but I just like the pose of EM's sprite more then everyone else's. Great job, all of you.

It's rather amazing just how opposite Dougs colouring style is to my own. I guess when you've gotten used to the limits you just don't waste colours AAing lines. There's a few things I find odd though.

1. You've highlighted the spindle arms and yet there's no hint of that on the hands themselves. It seems rather inconsistent that way.

2. You've pillow shaded the drill. Add a higher contrast to the colour and try not to accent the ridges too much.

3. I got told off for this before. The light source is supposed to come from the front towards the face of DLL and not to the side. This applies to many other backsprites here.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
It's rather amazing just how opposite Dougs colouring style is to my own. I guess when you've gotten used to the limits you just don't waste colours AAing lines. There's a few things I find odd though.

1. You've highlighted the spindle arms and yet there's no hint of that on the hands themselves. It seems rather inconsistent that way.

2. You've pillow shaded the drill. Add a higher contrast to the colour and try not to accent the ridges too much.

3. I got told off for this before. The light source is supposed to come from the front towards the face of DLL and not to the side. This applies to many other backsprites here.

1. Yeah, I'm not finished. This backsprite has been very laborious, because it really isn't any fun. Getting motivated to work on it is hard. But, I plan to put some highlights on the hands. I agree it is inconsistent without it.

2. Good suggestion, thanks.

3. I never realized that. Thanks for the tip. See my answer to number one as to whether I do it or not. But, now that I know that all back sprites are lit from the front, it's gonna bug the hell out of me until I fix it. Thanks for pointing it out to me.

BTW, your back sprite is cut off by the left side of the sprite frame. Since back sprites are displayed in the middle of the battle field, the only "wall" that can hide the sprite is the lower edge. Your sprite will look "chopped off" on the left side if you don't fix it. Since you are very close to the bottom edge anyway, it should not be hard to fix.

Ah heck. Nice catch Doug. Fixed.

To prove that i'm not talking crap about the lighting here:

All backsprites are lit this way, so if your backsprite isn't shaded properly you might want to redo it now. (This applies to all who've entered a sprite).

I'm making an entirely new backsprite anyway after seeing dougs ._.

(Goddamn it >>)

My friend suggested I make the whole pupils/no pupils thing a gender
difference, that way everyone can get what they want =/

Atyroki, the hands on your sprite look confusing to me. I don't know if it's just me but it's hard to tell where the hands and arms are. I don't even know where the 8th hand is. xD But you still did a great job.

ah, I'm itching for the sprite poll!
Doug, I really like your sprite now, as I've said before
I don't have any particular favorite coloring schemes.
But ever since you changed your face (which bothered me from the start) I liked yours.
I think my favorites are:
Wyverii's, Elevator Music's, and Dougs.
I just feel these have the most "Pokemon-like" feel to them.
And therefore the ones I'd feel most comfortable looking at on Shoddy.
Everyone else did awesome though.
This project really sparked creativity.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Here is my current set of sprites for submission. I still have some coloring changes I should make to the front sprites, and I need to incorporate Wyverii's feedback into the back sprites. But, I'm not sure when I'll get the time to do it, and I know the sprite poll is just around the corner. I wanted to make sure I have a legal submission posted. Here they are:

Sunday

God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
In most cases, spriters submit a Front Normal sprite first. Once feedback comes in and the poll nears, they make the other sprites.
I'd just like to bring everyones attention to this. The poll is nearing, so everyone wanting to make a submission should attempt to complete a full sheet of sprites, front, back and shiny. You've had more than enough time to get feedback on your sprites. Not doing so severly reduces your chance of being chosen to compete in the poll.

Man, what I love about this is there hasn't been one dominant artist, its been pretty spread out, as of now though, I like DJD's sprite best, too bad I cant vote, stupid ICBB.

SoT

I leave and they change my avatar to this?
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Wow Doug, that's absolutely amazing. I love those sprites. The shiny color makes him look pretty badass to me as well. I like the white on him. I know who I'm voting for.

I'm liking two sprites a lot right now, but the back sprites seem just a bit off.

Can we vote for a from sprite from someone and a back sprite from another? Or does it have to be the same person?

Doug did it. That's amazing. Great job Doug. So my votes go to Doug and Elevator. Excellent job you guys, and to the rest.

I'm beginning to wonder if anybody actually like my submission anymore and if so why. Feedback for mine just disappeared barring Doug.

I'm beginning to wonder if anybody actually like my submission anymore and if so why. Feedback for mine just disappeared barring Doug.
The upper-left (its upper-right) hand look a little wonky compared to the other hands. The pinky looks a little disembodied, and the thumb seems too sharp and curved. That's the only even minor problem I have with the frontsprite.

With the backsprite, that hand seems too far off to the side. I know there was that whole "it's blocking its vision" thing, but did you ever try moving the head over to the right, and having the hand on the left? Kind of like Golem's claw. Maybe make it so its angled more towards the left, so it's like, if it were waving, put the hand at the leftmost peak instead of the rightmost peak.

wyverii, i hadn't seen it for awhile, it wasn't on a few pages, but i think it's one of the strongest sprites. it feels like a pokemon sprite in pose, color selection and detailing, yet it still has your own style. it's definitely one of the best done, and you'll definitely get lots of support.

I didn't mess with the backsprite. There's just not enough space to fit the hand on the left side without it seeming off. I tried to fix the awkward hand though which I should have done a long time ago. ;p

Thanks guys. Without your feedback I would have entered something like this.

Wyverii, that's so much better then before. I love the pose and I love the colours you used for the shiny sprite. Excellent job!

I didn't mess with the backsprite. There's just not enough space to fit the hand on the left side without it seeming off. I tried to fix the awkward hand though which I should have done a long time ago. ;p

Thanks guys. Without your feedback I would have entered something like this.
Honestly, I like your front sprite better than dougs, but the backsprite IMO is just I dunno... Awkward. It just doesnt seem very threatening. I dunno, I'm just trying to offer advice, yet failing miserably. I say you give the backsprite another shot with a new pose

you would have my vote if it was switched up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)