CAP 3 CAP 3 Sprite Submission Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eh, that's all i'm going to do. I might mess with the animation a bit once I get better at it but i'm tired of working on this.

Note: I changed it back to the old thickness, even though people said it was better i'm becoming very ill and i'm finding it more and more difficult to keep track of all the changes, especially after I carefully checked through the old sprites to make them 16 colours.

beej

everybody walk the dinosaur
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I think it's REALLY great, Wyverii. That sprite is incredibly well done, and it looks like something I'd see in the game. I love the way you interpreted Elagune's art.

Eh, that's all i'm going to do. I might mess with the animation a bit once I get better at it but i'm tired of working on this.

Note: I changed it back to the old thickness, even though people said it was better i'm becoming very ill and i'm finding it more and more difficult to keep track of all the changes, especially after I carefully checked through the old sprites to make them 16 colours.
I think it would be better if the flames came out at the back instead of the front.

When is the voting going to start? I know who i am voting for :toast:. Get better soon wyverii.

KoA don't give up! Also, the flame looks too complex, just change it to a simple one like Moltres', etc.

The only thing that bugs me about Wyverii's sprite is the arms. It's not about thickness, it's just that they seem so... inflexible. The arm out front looks like it can't move at all. KoA's, however, looks very good in that respect, but looses to Wyverii's awesome head. IMO.

I must say this is exactly what I imagined when I created the concept art, and there's really nothing that could be better in my opinion. Exceptional work, and this extends to many of the other sprites in here as well.

Oh yes. If my pre-evolutions are considered and added, will people make sprites for them as well? Or perhaps it's not that much of a concern as most will probably just use the final evolution instead.

This has been an amazing thread for art. I had no clue that there was so much ability waiting for a chance to show itself. I just really hope that all these talents continue to contribute to the project for future pokemon...

You can imagine a new user coming to the CAP forums, and browsing through the galleries and being awed by the level of effort and talent that has gone into the art...they would gain respect for the project...

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
Wyverii, I believe we've had a slight misunderstanding. That parrot comment was not directed to the head at all. Saying something like that would only leave me looking hypocritical (as I chose a rather avian inspired look for my head shape as well).

In fact, I was just referring to the neck positioning, as It reminded me of the weird little neck movements parrots and cockatoos make when staring at you. However, changing it too much will probably ruin the backsprite altogether as I believe that's the only making the backsprite looking the way it is. The body suggests a full sideways body placement a la Gardevoir style, so making the head face forward the way you did wasn't such a bad idea really.

Anywho, I've sketched up my own backsprite and trust me, it put me through hell. So much so in fact that I had to break it down in pieces. Now, this might look like a dishevelled mess at first glance, because it mostly is, but realize that it will all come together quite nicely in the finished result. If you notice something missing, that's because it will be added manually in paint.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a110/kingofanime/Art/Fairly%20Recent%20to%20New%20Art/backsketch.png

Obvious flaws present will not be present in final product either.

KoA i believe in you. I will say that wyverii's sprite looks much more "in-game" than syclant, but it's about on par with revenankh.

but. your sprites are just so dynamic and incredible, and since this is a quasi 5th gen, i don't mind at all.

so KoA, keep it coming, and may the best artist win!

KoA

is an Artist
Well, to tide you guys over (hopefully) until I finish my backsprite, I finished adding last minute detials to the front poses and added gender differences, although they aren't significant.

Females have a split in their tail leaves and a bit of a change in hairdo.

Expect backsprite progress to be posted this time tomorrow if not a little sooner.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Elaguine said:
Oh yes. If my pre-evolutions are considered and added, will people make sprites for them as well? Or perhaps it's not that much of a concern as most will probably just use the final evolution instead.
mmm... good question, we will have to vote on if it has pre-evos first but if it does I would very much like to see them spirited, I would be surprised if no-one volunteered to do a sprite considering the amount of sprites posted here. Also KoA has told me he will finish off the Syclar sprite after this poll is over.

oh and for comments on the sprites.... they are AMAZEING but I would like to warn you spriters off something: only a few sprites will get any votes at all, its not that the other sprites are crap its just that people will vote for those they think will win.
GT would it be possible to do a bold text vote with people picking their favourite 3-5? This would help to reduce that affect.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Please no bold voting for this. Art polls are traditionally a straight click poll. If GT wants to have a multi-choice click poll first to narrow down to a set of finalists, then he could do it that way.

Well, to tide you guys over (hopefully) until I finish my backsprite, I finished adding last minute detials to the front poses and added gender differences, although they aren't significant.

Females have a split in their tail leaves and a bit of a change in hairdo.

Expect backsprite progress to be posted this time tomorrow if not a little sooner.
Go KoA :D

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Please no bold voting for this. Art polls are traditionally a straight click poll. If GT wants to have a multi-choice click poll first to narrow down to a set of finalists, then he could do it that way.
mm that could work, i was just thinking that with >5 excellent sprites it would be a shame if only 2-3 got any votes. Having a multi choice poll to narrow the choices down to 3 or so would help this.
Is there even enough room to fit all the sprites into a normal poll?

I've tryed to adjust the sprite, and I also made a male sprite since the first one looked more like a female. Now I only have to make the shinys and maybe change few things, like the right cannon, which looks a little short and out of place.
I don't normally post at smogon (actually, I don't post at all), but I've been keeping track with this thread and the project, and I'm awed at the great talent all of you possess. So awed that I just had to say it. Like, I really wanna beat the crap out of other pokemon with this thing.

Out of all the entries however, this sprite completely won me over . I love its pose, especially the long-haired one; it just looks so badass. --T.I.B.M--, you did a GREAT job on this one. The toes don't look right though. They look a little squarish and robotic IMO. And I agree with you on the right cannon. Still, it looks badass as it is now. Nice job. :)

Can't wait for the next CAP guys. The art in these projects seems to get better and better with each new CAP.

I really like KoA's sprite, but I'm going to have to say Wyverii gets my vote, not just because I like the sprite more, but also, We've used KoA's sprites for the last two, so it's nice to have a little bit of a change of style.

evan

I did my best -- I have no regrets
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Regarding Wyverii's back pose: Your front pose is great, but I have some trouble with the back. That is, it doesn't seem to be a back pose at all, but merely a side view with the head turned. I feel like at least an isometric rear view should be taken to show more of the detail on the back like in Nopie's/KoA's that have been/are being created. It's a fantastic sprite, but the positioning shows us nothing new and when you really look at it seems kinda awkward.

I'm also not a big fan of the flames in the animation but that's pretty minor as it is, as mentioned earlier, overkill.

KoA

is an Artist
Finally finished my backsprites. Whew, that's a load off my shoulders. Here's the whole gang:

I dunno, I might make a miniparty sprite tomorrow if I'm up to it ;x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)