CAP 3 CAP 3 Sprite Submission Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello any and all spriters out there, we need your help on creating sprites for this Pokemon below. This thread should receive a good week before the selection poll comes so we're in no true rush. Thank Elagune for supplying a back view picture of his design. It will really help you with your back sprite designs.

Rules for sprite submissions are as followed:
-----------------------------------------

1) All sprites (front and back) can have a maximum size of 80x80.
2) All sprites (front and back) must have a complete, unbroken, distinguishable outline. It does not need to be a black outline, but it must be clearly distinguishable from the adjacent interior colors of the sprite. Look at the ingame sprites for examples.
3) Sprites must be in PNG format
4) Use 8-bit truecolor (aka 8-bit RGB) or less. This does NOT mean 256 color mode.
5) Use transparent backgrounds
6) Fusions of other sprites are not allowed. All sprites must be scratch sprites.
7) Do not alter, fuse, recolor or otherwise modify another spriter's submission – unless the original artist explicitly gives permission.

Failure to follow these guidelines will result in the submission being disqualified and the post will be deleted.

Additional Information

There are 8 possible sprites:
Front Normal Male
Front Normal Female
Front Shiny Male
Front Shiny Female
Back Normal Male
Back Normal Female
Back Shiny Male
Back Shiny Female

In most cases, spriters submit a Front Normal sprite first. Once feedback comes in and the poll nears, they make the other sprites.

You do not have to make different Male and Female sprites, but it helps. Since there are only minute differences between most ingame male and female sprites, it’s not very hard to tweak the sprite for a different gender. Some spriters have made noticeable changes between genders, and that’s fine too.

Shinies are just recolors, so that’s not too tough. There’s lots of people that can’t scratch, that are willing to recolor your shiny, if you really don’t want to do it yourself. Just ask in the submission thread and you’ll get plenty of offers to help.

Please look at your transparent sprites against different colored backgrounds, not just white. In Shoddy, the sprite will be displayed on multiple background colors in the Team Builder and in battle.

Front view of Wooden Komodo Dragon

Back view of Wooden Komodo Dragon.

waiting for KoA to sweep this again.

you guys might stand a chance, but so far the community loves KoA's spriting style.

Honestly, I'm very excited about this. Having no spriting skills of my own, it's awesome to see what other people can do with my design. Best of luck to all of you!

I'm looking forwards to seeing the entries, CAP 3 has gotten multitudes of amazing work so far, I hope the trend continues.

Well, my goal is to make one that more matches the art style of Pokemon. Not to detract from KoA's sprites, but they seem out of place to me.

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
Working on sprite pose sketches now.

Actual sprites might not be done for several days yet.

Ok, I give up :D I cont scratch a sprite. Can someone teach me how so I can attempt one during the next CAP? I have Paint.Net with layers and stuff.

I MIGHT be able to make sprites, but I highly doubt it. I was only able to make the last one because it was my spring break. I have a lot of work, but we'll see....

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Spriting Guide

GT, please add this guide to the OP. I've also added it to the "How we Create-A-Pokemon" thread. Most of these are requirements so the sprites can be implemented properly on the server. We have not had standards in the past, and that meant that I had to do it after the fact. We didn’t know the “rules” before. Now we do, so let’s make sure they are followed from the beginning.
--------------------------------------

Spriting Guide

EDIT: Spriting Guide deleted from this post, since it is in the OP now.

owow. Good luck to everyone, and remember that the winning sprite has the honour of being made into a really bad fusion by me.

Damnit. I am going to have to drop out, I just got news today about what kind of work my future holds, and I cannot even hope to get one done. Maybe by the next one I'll have a scanner so I won't have to free hand on paint.

Hardly LilAnt. Also why do you keep calling it Leonin? It looks and sounds too much like Leonine - like a lion - whereas this poke is lizard-like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)