CAP 3 CAP 3 Sprite Submission Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

beej

everybody walk the dinosaur
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I think that the amount of talent shown in this thread is ridiculously high. In the end, though, I think I'm going for Wyverii.

I don't know if I'm allowed to do this or not, but here's KoA shiny colors on Wyverii's sprite.

<--- IMAGE DELETED BY DougJustDoug -->

I'm not taking credit. I'm just showing how it would look like >.>

<--- IMAGE DELETED BY DougJustDoug -->

Here, this is KoA's colors and Wyverii's Spirte! Just here to show what it would look like. I resized it so you could see it better.

sikh, that isnt plagiarism.
he is just showing us what it would look like, and im sure neither wyverii, nor koa care if he shows us.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I'm not taking credit. I'm just showing how it would look like >.>

<-- DELETED -->

Here, this is KoA's colors and Wyverii's Spirte! Just here to show what it would look like. I resized it so you could see it better.
unceunce, if you had bothered to read the OP -- you would see this is specifically disallowed.

7) Do not alter, fuse, recolor or otherwise modify another spriter's submission – unless the original artist explicitly gives permission.
I am editing your posts to remove the recolors.

The only thing that bothers me about Wyvreii's are the Arm's of the front pose. Where exactly are the joints? Judging from that first wooden arm section, it almost looks like the arms have to curve to get to the elbow, unless the cannons are part of the hands rather than the whole forearm.

Regardless, Wyvreii and KoA have the two best sprites, but I personally like KoA's more as it brings out the bulky side of Woodman.

I think the black parts are too dark. Like, you can't even see the shading. I can identify, maybe, three separate shades (versus four that show up clearly from a regular distance away) - and that requires me to lean up close and strain my eyes. I also think the tail's outline is choppy and the way the right calf (his left) is positioned relative to the foot is horridly awkward. Orange and teal don't make the most attractive mix, either. I am liking the pose (in the upper body, at least), and the backsprite's nice as well (although the upper arms could stand to look woodier).

I apologize for being critical without suggesting much in terms of how to improve. I was never any good at fixing flaws, only finding them. You're a pretty decent artist, so I'm sure you'll figure something out (should you decide to act on my criticisms). Frankly, though, I'm surprised how little feedback has been offered to you, so I hope you don't mind my being judgmental.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I like Wyverii's front sprite. It seems like it would be perfect if it was just a liiiiittleee bit smaller. The pokemon looks much bigger in these sprites than I imagine it to be. I guess that can be taken care of later though. But the back pose makes it look like the pokemon is turning to look at the camera, which is a little odd.

KoA's back pose is better, but overall I think his sprites for this dude look too cartoony, even for pokemon. They just dont seem to blend well with what i see in other sprites...if that makes any sense.

Everyone here has done such a great job with their spriting that it's really tough to criticize you guys. Even the spriters that don't get chosen in the end shouldn't let it affect them too much, there isnt a bad sprite in this entire thread.

The only thing I don't like about Wyverii's front sprite is how its left arm cannon covers up part of its tail leaf. In fact, much of the tail is hidden from view. Other than that, the pose and sprite are great.

KoA's sprite just doesn't look lizard-like to me. Maybe it's the head, maybe it's that its mouth isn't open, I don't know. Still, the back sprite is awesome, and so are the shiny colors.

It'll be a tough choice.

beej

everybody walk the dinosaur
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I like Wyverii's front sprite. It seems like it would be perfect if it was just a liiiiittleee bit smaller. The pokemon looks much bigger in these sprites than I imagine it to be. I guess that can be taken care of later though. But the back pose makes it look like the pokemon is turning to look at the camera, which is a little odd.

KoA's back pose is better, but overall I think his sprites for this dude look too cartoony, even for pokemon. They just dont seem to blend well with what i see in other sprites...if that makes any sense.

Everyone here has done such a great job with their spriting that it's really tough to criticize you guys. Even the spriters that don't get chosen in the end shouldn't let it affect them too much, there isnt a bad sprite in this entire thread.
This really sums up how I feel as well.

Perhaps Wyverii though to give his sprite two 'elbows' on a single arm instead of the usual one. For a pokemon this is perfectly possible since Pokemon are not necessarily human or even anthropomorphic. True Wyverii? If not then why DO the arms looks like that?

Ugh, what are people going on about? I followed the design and if you look you'll realise that there is no possible way that the arms are in any normal configuration. There would be a ball and socket joint for the shoulders as usual, a hinge joint at the upper arm and another hinge joint at the gap between wooden parts. This will probably go for every other sprite in this thread.

Sorry if I sound aggressive but I really shouldn't be pulled up for following an artist's design, and a very good artist at that.

Oh by the way, i'm not recolouring my sprite in KoA's colours. It's too dark for the style and there are so many different people with different tastes and wants, I can't really tend to them all.

One last thing, how come nobody's pointed out the fact that KoA's sprite is backlit? I got pulled up for it by someone here and a few of my fellow artists outside of here and had to change it to be lit from the front.

Pulled up is an expression common used where I come from. When I say pulled up it can be replaced with being singled out though it's slightly more complex than that. >>;

Ugh, what are people going on about? I followed the design and if you look you'll realise that there is no possible way that the arms are in any normal configuration. There would be a ball and socket joint for the shoulders as usual, a hinge joint at the upper arm and another hinge joint at the gap between wooden parts. This will probably go for every other sprite in this thread.
Wyverii is right. Woodman's arms are not like the arms of a ordinary creature, if you look at it closely. He does not have a full range of movement within his arms. However, in my designs for both front and back I actually accidentally modified him a bit, giving him elbows in the backview picture.

But honestly, I don't mind how you guys want to take it. I think Wyverii's sprite is truer to the frontview picture while KoA's is closer to the backview picture. As for which one I like better, I enjoy Wyverii's for its powerful personality, but I think both are honestly very good.

KoA's shiny picture does seem a little too dark though. Most of the black sprites in Pokemon have at least a medium-dark shade of gray in there somewhere.

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
I really didn't notice anything wrong with the blackish hues on this sprite. ._.

I mean, I kept it lighter than Rev's shiny colors at least.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I really didn't notice anything wrong with the blackish hues on this sprite. ._.

I mean, I kept it lighter than Rev's shiny colors at least.
I think your monitor must have a different brightness/contrast than most people's. I noticed it on Rev's shiny and this latest shiny -- they are REALLY dark. I don't think you would intentionally make them this dark, if you could see it. Perhaps you can go to some public computer with internet access and look at your shiny sprites. They are so dark, they almost look pitch black. Rev's shiny IS pitch black on one of my monitors.

I use three different monitors, and colors look different on all three. When finalizing my artwork colors, I try to pick colors that look OK on all three monitors. It still doesn't guarantee how it will look on other people's hardware, but it's a start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)