CAP 3 CAP 3 - Part 6.5 (BST Spillover)

Status
Not open for further replies.
LARGE EDIT:

This set has been revised yet again. Here it is, the new one: 110HP/73ATK/99DEF/104SAT/99SDF/60SPD. And below is the explanation to that spread.

60SPD:

This is Swampert's Speed, and we all know how well he can tank. I'd rather have a powerful and bulky Pokemon than a fast one, so this set's speed is not exceeding 60 regardless of whether or not this guy gets Chlorophyll. Besides, he needs a more unique ability anyway.

99DEF+SDF:

Simple equation for defences: Get Swampert's and Heatran's base defences, add them together, divide the result by 2 and then add 1 to THAT result. This is what you get: 99. More HP will be invested than what I had to make this simple equation actually effective.

104SAT:

I was originally going for 117SAT, but after releasing that it was broken indeed, I slashed it down to 104, which also helped cause I needed the overspent stats for HP. I could also still keep my simple attack formula while having the result fall between the suggested 70-75 by doing this...

73ATK:

That same simple approach to working out Attack as with the previous spread: Just take 70% of the Special Attack. Seeing that it was 104, this works out to be 73 (acutally it's 72.8, but you can't get .8 of a stat, so it gets rounded up). That leaves an extra 22HP.

110HP:

That's right, 110. Nice and juicy (I just had to say that). I just hope that's enough. Anyway, now it can SubSeed and perform 101 subs at the same time (yes it does have enough HP to do so now). This still leaves the base total at 545, and should hopefully be improved.

Well, since everyone's gone for 536-545, I've revised my spread a bit. Here it is: 88HP/82ATK/99DEF/117SAT/99SDF/60SPD. Since Gothic Togekiss accidently submitted the BST Selection Thread, I thought I'd better explain why I chose my set. I hope I'm not too late.

60SPD:

This is Swampert's Speed, and we all know how well he can tank. I'd rather have a powerful and bulky Pokemon than a fast one, so this set's speed is not exceeding 60 regardless of whether or not this guy gets Chlorophyll. Besides, he needs a more unique ability anyway.

Good.

99DEF+SDF:

Simple equation for defences: Get Swampert's and Heatran's base defences, add them together, divide the result by 2 and then add 1 to THAT result. This is what you get: 99. This is assuming that Swampert has 90 DEF+SDF and Heatran has 106.

Bad, frankly. <100 defences should be backed up with a fat hp.

117SAT:

I was going for 112SAT, which is miniscully(spelling?) more powerful than Swampert's 110ATK, but since everyone wanted to have 536-545, I invested 5 more base special attack. Hopefully this set isn't too broken now *ducks and covers*

Yes, it is broken. 117 SpA makes it a fucking beast. BROKEDED.

82ATK:

Another simple approach to working out Attack: Just take 70% of the Special Attack. Seeing that it was 117, this works out to be 82 (acutally it's 81.9, but you can't get .9 of a stat, so it gets rounded up). The rest of the allowed base stats are invested into HP.

Frankly, to much. Take some out, ranging around 70-75, and invest them into defences ;)

88HP:

That's right, 88. 457+88=545, as you'll most likely know. This is relatively high, but not so high that it absolutely sucks at SubSeeding. Then again you can't get 101 subs with this set, but IMO: SubSeed > 101 Subs. This leaves the base total at 545.
haha what? Since when did high HP make shit suck at subseeding? Either way it wants and craves more hp to go with those defences.

Aki, that spread is ALWAYS 1HKOed by max attack (neutral natured) T-Tar's stone edge. Does it really need it's SpA lowered? Grass knot actually has a chance of not 1HKOing Boah when it's using +Nature, max SpA choice specs, I believe. It doesn't HAVE to be bulky, and it doesn't HAVE to have a SpA less than Yanmega's (who has 1 less than that spread). The specs set dies to blissey anyway (just like yanmega does). It actually reminds me of glaceon in a way (but glaceon has an ASS movepool).

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Alright, I feel like I have to make a comprehensive post as to why I chose each specific number. Also note, I have changed my spread quite a bit (for Gothic Togekiss, mostly) The reason I changed my spread was because I decided to look at the two spreads I thought had the most initial objective reasoning behind them, Mekkah's and my own, and decided to see if I could some how fine tune both of them in order to achieve a more balanced Pokemon. By balanced I mean it does what it is supposed to do more efficiently, but it remains "checkable."

118 HP / 71 Atk / 106 Def / 90 SpA / 91 SpD / 60 Spe, 536 total.

First, maximum stats, +nature:

440 HP / 265 Atk / 342 Def / 306 SpA / 309 SpD / 240 Spe

Alright, I went through various calculations, but before I get to the specific reasoning for each number, the basic "X-Act Analysis" number for this spread is: 520.

-----------------------------------------------------
Everything below this line is simply my thoughts on the 520 number...if you want to see the reasoning for my specific numbers, just move past the next line.

You see, whether or not you agree with the algorithm used by X-Act is irrelevant, because I am using its results to compare Pokemon, not vice versa. Allow me to explain. The algorithm has nicely tiered five Pokemon in its "Very Good" tier...Togekiss, Infernape, Kingdra, Mamoswine and Flygon. I am using "Very Good" because this is the tier that our Pokemon seems to fall under for most spreads.

What do all of the above have in common? STABs that they all use (though Togekiss a little less, even though Tri Attack is still common). You see, whether or not you agree with the algorithm is insignificant because I am simply using it as a comparison tool...Togekiss gets 537, and Flygon gets 500.

Regardless of the algorithm, Togekiss is the ceiling, and Flygon is the floor. I think even if you disagree with the algorithm, this would be acceptable.

That's why I find it anathema to go past Togekiss's limit, and I find it pointless to go below Flygon's number. I won't use the term "Stat efficiency" like I have been using, because if you don't agree with the algorithm, then it isn't efficient. Instead, I'll say "stat result."

Milotic, another Pokemon very similar to the one we are making (it's usually eved defensively to take on Gyarados, meaning it is bulky on both sides and it has passable Special Attack), has a "Stat result" number of 530.

Regardless of the algorithm, there is a definite "trend" among these Pokemon. Milotic, Togekiss, Infernape, Kingdra, Mamoswine and Flygon all are limited for a reason.

Because I feel that this thing's offensive move pool will be comparable if not parallel to Kingdra, and that it will have a better support move pool than this, I really want to keep that "Stat result" number lower than Kingdra's, if possible. That's why I'm seriously hesitating to even consider anything with a "stat result" higher than 530.
---------------------------------------------
Alright, now the specific reasons for each number.

--------------------------------------------------

Everything below is for Speed.

As I outlined in this post:

http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1127737&postcount=219

I really do not believe this thing has too many bonafide, true to the true definition of counter, counters. Still, "uncounterable" Pokemon such Infernape (and now Syclant) are prevented from being "broken" by having various "checks" as I have defined against them. Note that a "check" isn't simply a revenge killer; while that might be interpreted as the first half of my definition, I also include Pokemon that take more damage on the switch in than a normal counter. For example, something that is 3HKOed by our Pokemon would still be a "check" against it if it was faster and could pose enough of a threat to have it think twice about hitting attack again.

That said, there are about 7 "checks" (some are weak, admittedly, but if they can 2HKO and not be 1HKOed...then they do their purpose as long as they are faster) in the 61-69 Speed range. Ignoring for a moment that upping this thing's Speed would cause it's "stat result" number to skyrocket to above Togekiss's, I really do not feel comfortable with removing these 7 as checks. All of them really need to be faster than this in order to remain "checks."

Of the fast Pokemon, I only see Aerodactyl, Crobat, Staraptor, Tentacruel, Yanmega, Gyarados, Togekiss, Gallade, and Blaziken as somewhat viable "checks." I'd put Togekiss, Aerodactyl, Crobat and Tentacruel in the counters category, with the others as very flimsy checks since damn, they take a shit load from the appropriate attack or Hidden Power.

That's why if I have to choose between 60 and 70 Speed, I am going to with 60...to make Tyranitar a much more reliable "check" against it, and allow various other Pokemon to be able to "check" however well they can.
------------------------------------------

Everything below is for Defenses.

118 HP / 106 Def / 91 SpD

440 HP max, 342 Def max, 309 SpD max

The beauty of this spread is how it switches into common attacks and has the ability to survive them in practical situations. Take the two most common Pokemon on the official server's Ladder, Garchomp and Gengar. My experience tells me that the most common Outrage on a Garchomp is ScarfChomp's, and the most common Shadow Ball is Life Orb Gengar's.

If you run a mixed spread of 252 HP / 140 Def / 116 SpD, Bold, you'll reach 440 HP / 311 Def / 247 SpD.

This spread is NOT 2HKOed on average by either Adamant ScarfChomp's Outrage OR Life Gengar's Shadow Ball AFTER switching into Stealth Rock, assuming Leftovers and no Sand / Hail.

That Stealth Rock weakness some users have been lamenting about? Not a big deal, as on average it will be able to switch into Stealth Rock and take the STAB Attacks from the two most common Pokemon.

That's the "line" I used to determine my defenses...the minimum required on both ends to survive the STAB Attacks of the two most common Pokemon on average after a Stealth Rock. Anything that is bulkier on average than this minimum is in my honest opinion too bulky to also merit a high Special Attack.

You can use this data to extrapolate exactly how well it takes attacks on both sides of the spectrum.

---------------------------------------------------

Everything below is for Offenses.

Ok, so now we're at the attacking portion of this Pokemon. I am assuming that it will have access to Fire Blast, a 120 BP move, and Grass Knot, a 120 BP move for most of the common threats (possible 100 BP for some). Also, here is where I impose some more "checks" against this Pokemon, to try and ensure it is not broken.

I have 71 Atk / 90 SpA

This allows for a maximum of 265 Attack and 306 Special Attack.

I'll go with Special Attack first:

I'll talk about its potential counters first:

Crobat- would need 252 HP / 176 Atk / 80 SpD Adamant to 2HKO 252 HP / 252 Def Bold (pokemon) on average and not get 2HKOed by a 252 SpA Modest (pokemon). Higher special attack on this Pokemon would NOT allow Crobat to be an effective counter.

Togekiss- A non boosted Togekiss never has the ability to 2HKO this Pokemon, so it has to ensure that it is capable of taking 3 hits while also 3HKOing. 252 HP / 96 SpA / 160 SpD is never 3HKOed by this Pokemon's Fire Blast and has a 92.31% chance of 3HKOing the Max HP / Max SpD Calm equivalent. Keeping the Special Attack limited helps Togekiss more effectively counter it.

Aerodactyl- Grass Knot is 80 BP against it. Would have to run 252 HP / 84 Atk / 172 SpD Adamant to never be 3HKOed by Grass Knot, and always 3HKO with Stone Edge.

Tentacruel- Grass Knot is 80 BP against it as well. In my opinion, along with Togekiss, it is the most reliable counter. I have purposely avoided Hidden Power calculations for a reason, but just for argument's sake, HP Ground from 252 SpA on 252 HP / 164 SpA / 60 SpD / 32 Spe Modest Tentacruel never 3HKOs, and that same Tentacruel always 3HKOs 252 HP / 252 SpD Calm with Sludge Bomb.

As you can see, the Special Attack kind of needs to be limited in order to ensure that the proper "counters" can indeed be counters.

As for Attack, 71 is admittedly slightly arbitrary...64 is the minimum required to guarantee a 2HKO on 252 HP / 0 Def Tentacruel with Wood Hammer assuming you yourself are 252 Atk Adamant. However, placing the other 6 anywhere else would increase this Pokemon's efficiency beyond what I would feel comfortable with...so 71 it is. However, some people enjoy running 252 HP / 216 / 40 (for Def) sets for defensive Pokemon, and in the case that Tentacruel is running 40 Def EVs, you would need a minimum of 69 Base Special Attack in order to guarantee the 2HKO, so I would be comfortable with at least 69 in the Special Attack.

Since it looks like Elagune's art is probably going to win, and since we have decided to severely limit this thing's special move pool, specifically only to its STAB attacks, I think there might be arguments to give it a possibly varied physical move pool. If it got Stone Edge (how appropriate is a humanoid Reptile thingy getting a move called "Stone Edge"), it would have a tiny chance of 2HKOing a 252 HP / 0 Def Togekiss with Leftovers, another slightly interesting advantage of having 71 Atk.

(Btw, I am completely against it getting Swords Dance...though Howl might be acceptable)

--------------------------------------------------------

Basic summary? I've combined my original spread with Mekkah's spread (which was actually based off my original spread, at least in theory), and come up with a Pokemon that I earnestly believe has the perfect "bulk" for its typing and just the right amount of Special Attack to be an effective attacker, yet certainly not a sweeper as well.

The lack of Speed allows a higher set of justifiable "checks," and therefore is necessary, as that same set is not too inclusive a group without the Pokemon in between 61 and 70.

Essentially, this Pokemon is able to take hits so efficiently from both sides that it can switch into Stealth Rock and not be 2HKOed by the common Outrage from Garchomp or the common Shadow Ball from Gengar. It also has a respectable 90 SpA, 216 minimum, which would allow it to hit frailer Pokemon quite hard as it is.

The checks in place are essentially the lower Special Attack and 60 Base Speed. Tyranitar remains possibly the most interesting check, important because some very common Pokemon (face it, Togekiss is not as rampant as some may believe, and since December, Tentacruel usage has declined) should be able to pose a threat.

Again, final spread submission:

118 HP / 71 Atk / 106 Def / 90 SpA / 91 SpD / 60 Spe

Also, if you are going to bother to respond to this, please read it all, and don't give me some arbitrary jibe (you know who you are).

Another set similar to half the sets submitted. Honestly guys.
Even though it's similar I like it more that most of them i've seen here, its defensive while not going over the top with offense, it doesn't even break base 100 there. and how are the sets going to be "that" different when people are mostly aiming for the same thing.

A quick question i have for the community though, we said we wanted this pokemon to be balanced but what exactly is balanced? Alot of people seem to agree on around 70 to approximately 90 as mid-ranged or "balanced" with regards to speed so can we assume the same for its Hp, defenses and offenses?

I'm going to post this spread as an example (something different just for adamant Aldaron :P)

hp 90: 321-384
def 85: 206-295
sdef 85: 206-295
atk 80: 196- 284
spatk 105: 236 - 339
Speed 90: 216-306

What would we define this as? Is this balanced or would we consider this offensive? I think if we defined this more clearly it would make it a lot easier on peole developing spreads as it gives them more guidelines to work with.

I do think that we need to better define what our intentions should be with our Pokemon. Currently, there's quite a bit of liberty in terms of Speed and HP. For example, Aldaron doesn't want this Pokemon to outrun Tyranitar while I want it to outrun Gyarados! Also, we have proposed spreads with HP below 90 (to prevent 101 subs, I guess) whereas Iggybot's spread has 120 HP!

Should the spreads be more focused or do you think they would become too focused?

Alright, I feel like I have to make a comprehensive post as to why I chose each specific number. Also note, I have changed my spread quite a bit (for Gothic Togekiss, mostly) The reason I changed my spread was because I decided to look at the two spreads I thought had the most initial objective reasoning behind them, Mekkah's and my own, and decided to see if I could some how fine tune both of them in order to achieve a more balanced Pokemon. By balanced I mean it does what it is supposed to do more efficiently, but it remains "checkable."

118 HP / 71 Atk / 106 Def / 90 SpA / 91 SpD / 60 Spe, 536 total.

Holy damn, aldaron pulled a spread outta his ass that i almost 100% agree with (Could use more SpA, but this IS your final edit)

First, maximum stats, +nature:

440 HP / 265 Atk / 342 Def / 306 SpA / 309 SpD / 240 Spe

Daim.

Alright, I went through various calculations, but before I get to the specific reasoning for each number, the basic "X-Act Analysis" number for this spread is: 520.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Everything below this line is simply my thoughts on the 520 number...if you want to see the reasoning for my specific numbers, just move past the next line.

You see, whether or not you agree with the algorithm used by X-Act is irrelevant, because I am using its results to compare Pokemon, not vice versa. Allow me to explain. The algorithm has nicely tiered five Pokemon in its "Very Good" tier...Togekiss, Infernape, Kingdra, Mamoswine and Flygon. I am using "Very Good" because this is the tier that our Pokemon seems to fall under for most spreads.

What do all of the above have in common? STABs that they all use (though Togekiss a little less, even though Tri Attack is still common). You see, whether or not you agree with the algorithm is insignificant because I am simply using it as a comparison tool...Togekiss gets 537, and Flygon gets 500.

Regardless of the algorithm, Togekiss is the ceiling, and Flygon is the floor. I think even if you disagree with the algorithm, this would be acceptable.

That's why I find it anathema to go past Togekiss's limit, and I find it pointless to go below Flygon's number. I won't use the term "Stat efficiency" like I have been using, because if you don't agree with the algorithm, then it isn't efficient. Instead, I'll say "stat result."

Milotic, another Pokemon very similar to the one we are making (it's usually eved defensively to take on Gyarados, meaning it is bulky on both sides and it has passable Special Attack), has a "Stat result" number of 530.

Regardless of the algorithm, there is a definite "trend" among these Pokemon. Milotic, Togekiss, Infernape, Kingdra, Mamoswine and Flygon all are limited for a reason.

Because I feel that this thing's offensive move pool will be comparable if not parallel to Kingdra, and that it will have a better support move pool than this, I really want to keep that "Stat result" number lower than Kingdra's, if possible. That's why I'm seriously hesitating to even consider anything with a "stat result" higher than 530.

I just ignored this all because i have strong disagreements with X-Act's thingy.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alright, now the specific reasons for each number.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everything below is for Speed.

As I outlined in this post:

http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1127737&postcount=219

I really do not believe this thing has too many bonafide, true to the true definition of counter, counters. Still, "uncounterable" Pokemon such Infernape (and now Syclant) are prevented from being "broken" by having various "checks" as I have defined against them. Note that a "check" isn't simply a revenge killer; while that might be interpreted as the first half of my definition, I also include Pokemon that take more damage on the switch in than a normal counter. For example, something that is 3HKOed by our Pokemon would still be a "check" against it if it was faster and could pose enough of a threat to have it think twice about hitting attack again.

That said, there are about 7 "checks" (some are weak, admittedly, but if they can 2HKO and not be 1HKOed...then they do their purpose as long as they are faster) in the 61-69 Speed range. Ignoring for a moment that upping this thing's Speed would cause it's "stat result" number to skyrocket to above Togekiss's, I really do not feel comfortable with removing these 7 as checks. All of them really need to be faster than this in order to remain "checks."

Of the fast Pokemon, I only see Aerodactyl, Crobat, Staraptor, Tentacruel, Yanmega, Gyarados, Togekiss, Gallade, and Blaziken as somewhat viable "checks." I'd put Togekiss, Aerodactyl, Crobat and Tentacruel in the counters category, with the others as very flimsy checks since damn, they take a shit load from the appropriate attack or Hidden Power.

That's why if I have to choose between 60 and 70 Speed, I am going to with 60...to make Tyranitar a much more reliable "check" against it, and allow various other Pokemon to be able to "check" however well they can.

Agreed.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everything below is for Defenses.

118 HP / 106 Def / 91 SpD

440 HP max, 342 Def max, 309 SpD max

The beauty of this spread is how it switches into common attacks and has the ability to survive them in practical situations. Take the two most common Pokemon on the official server's Ladder, Garchomp and Gengar. My experience tells me that the most common Outrage on a Garchomp is ScarfChomp's, and the most common Shadow Ball is Life Orb Gengar's.

If you run a mixed spread of 252 HP / 140 Def / 116 SpD, Bold, you'll reach 440 HP / 311 Def / 247 SpD.

This spread is NOT 2HKOed on average by either Adamant ScarfChomp's Outrage OR Life Gengar's Shadow Ball AFTER switching into Stealth Rock, assuming Leftovers and no Sand / Hail.

That Stealth Rock weakness some users have been lamenting about? Not a big deal, as on average it will be able to switch into Stealth Rock and take the STAB Attacks from the two most common Pokemon.

That's the "line" I used to determine my defenses...the minimum required on both ends to survive the STAB Attacks of the two most common Pokemon on average after a Stealth Rock. Anything that is bulkier on average than this minimum is in my honest opinion too bulky to also merit a high Special Attack.

You can use this data to extrapolate exactly how well it takes attacks on both sides of the spectrum.

Methinks this lacks on Tar Stone edge, but 118/106 is still good, but not as good as 130/102 or 110/120 IMO.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everything below is for Offenses.

Ok, so now we're at the attacking portion of this Pokemon. I am assuming that it will have access to Fire Blast, a 120 BP move, and Grass Knot, a 120 BP move for most of the common threats (possible 100 BP for some). Also, here is where I impose some more "checks" against this Pokemon, to try and ensure it is not broken.

I have 71 Atk / 90 SpA

This allows for a maximum of 265 Attack and 306 Special Attack.

I'll go with Special Attack first:

I'll talk about its potential counters first:

Crobat- would need 252 HP / 176 Atk / 80 SpD Adamant to 2HKO 252 HP / 252 Def Bold (pokemon) on average and not get 2HKOed by a 252 SpA Modest (pokemon). Higher special attack on this Pokemon would NOT allow Crobat to be an effective counter.

Togekiss- A non boosted Togekiss never has the ability to 2HKO this Pokemon, so it has to ensure that it is capable of taking 3 hits while also 3HKOing. 252 HP / 96 SpA / 160 SpD is never 3HKOed by this Pokemon's Fire Blast and has a 92.31% chance of 3HKOing the Max HP / Max SpD Calm equivalent. Keeping the Special Attack limited helps Togekiss more effectively counter it.

Aerodactyl- Grass Knot is 80 BP against it. Would have to run 252 HP / 84 Atk / 172 SpD Adamant to never be 3HKOed by Grass Knot, and always 3HKO with Stone Edge.

Tentacruel- Grass Knot is 80 BP against it as well. In my opinion, along with Togekiss, it is the most reliable counter. I have purposely avoided Hidden Power calculations for a reason, but just for argument's sake, HP Ground from 252 SpA on 252 HP / 164 SpA / 60 SpD / 32 Spe Modest Tentacruel never 3HKOs, and that same Tentacruel always 3HKOs 252 HP / 252 SpD Calm with Sludge Bomb.

As you can see, the Special Attack kind of needs to be limited in order to ensure that the proper "counters" can indeed be counters.

As for Attack, 71 is admittedly slightly arbitrary...64 is the minimum required to guarantee a 2HKO on 252 HP / 0 Def Tentacruel with Wood Hammer assuming you yourself are 252 Atk Adamant. However, placing the other 6 anywhere else would increase this Pokemon's efficiency beyond what I would feel comfortable with...so 71 it is. However, some people enjoy running 252 HP / 216 / 40 (for Def) sets for defensive Pokemon, and in the case that Tentacruel is running 40 Def EVs, you would need a minimum of 69 Base Special Attack in order to guarantee the 2HKO, so I would be comfortable with at least 69 in the Special Attack.

Since it looks like Elagune's art is probably going to win, and since we have decided to severely limit this thing's special move pool, specifically only to its STAB attacks, I think there might be arguments to give it a possibly varied physical move pool. If it got Stone Edge (how appropriate is a humanoid Reptile thingy getting a move called "Stone Edge"), it would have a tiny chance of 2HKOing a 252 HP / 0 Def Togekiss with Leftovers, another slightly interesting advantage of having 71 Atk.

(Btw, I am completely against it getting Swords Dance...though Howl might be acceptable)

It needs swords dance for the gimmick set to work full stop.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Basic summary? I've combined my original spread with Mekkah's spread (which was actually based off my original spread, at least in theory), and come up with a Pokemon that I earnestly believe has the perfect "bulk" for its typing and just the right amount of Special Attack to be an effective attacker, yet certainly not a sweeper as well.

The lack of Speed allows a higher set of justifiable "checks," and therefore is necessary, as that same set is not too inclusive a group without the Pokemon in between 61 and 70.

Essentially, this Pokemon is able to take hits so efficiently from both sides that it can switch into Stealth Rock and not be 2HKOed by the common Outrage from Garchomp or the common Shadow Ball from Gengar. It also has a respectable 90 SpA, 216 minimum, which would allow it to hit frailer Pokemon quite hard as it is.

The checks in place are essentially the lower Special Attack and 60 Base Speed. Tyranitar remains possibly the most interesting check, important because some very common Pokemon (face it, Togekiss is not as rampant as some may believe, and since December, Tentacruel usage has declined) should be able to pose a threat.

Again, final spread submission:

118 HP / 71 Atk / 106 Def / 90 SpA / 91 SpD / 60 Spe

Also, if you are going to bother to respond to this, please read it all, and don't give me some arbitrary jibe (you know who you are).

I do indeed know who i am, thanks aldaron.

First and formost problem: This carries 71/90. I am very much so tempted to just take your spread, add 9 SpA to it and Re-submit it. How does this fare against Bulky Waters/Grounds/Steels such as Suicune, Hippowdon and Bronzong? Those are the pokemon this was designed to counter, and 90 SpA just only barely cuts in for that.

I do think that we need to better define what our intentions should be with our Pokemon. Currently, there's quite a bit of liberty in terms of Speed and HP. For example, Aldaron doesn't want this Pokemon to outrun Tyranitar while I want it to outrun Gyarados! Also, we have proposed spreads with HP below 90 (to prevent 101 subs, I guess) whereas Iggybot's spread has 120 HP!

Mine has 130!

Should the spreads be more focused or do you think they would become too focused?
Owellhelo lets give this thing >110 spa and enough speed to outrun gyarados while keeping reasonable bulky and have revenankh all over again! [sarcastic laugh]

EDIT:
Offensive. Specially orentated.

T-Tar 2HKOs with Stone edge and max attack (not nature) on those defenses, but since it's only got 90 SpA, grass kot isn't nearly as dangerous.
Considering that revenankh had much better defensive typing, much less speed than gyra, I doubt we'll give it calm mind (neither the deer or wood man look like they're in the mood to sit down for a nice little think) and the fact we most probably aren't giving this thing a trick as broken as shed-rest most probably will stop it from not being another revenankh. It'd probably be more like Yanmega with more SpD, but without Speed boost, less speed, better typing (in some cases) and without hypnosis (since I'm pretty sure we ain't giving it sleep powder).

Owellhelo lets give this thing >110 spa and enough speed to outrun gyarados while keeping reasonable bulky and have revenankh all over again! [sarcastic laugh]
It's nice to know you're taking me seriously. (What's wrong with knocking Gyarados down a peg? He's been at least near the top 5 in usage every month since statistics started being compiled!)

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Well, perhaps I shouldn't have said final submission lol. I should have said...final "for now" haha

It was purposely left at 536, just in case you guys could convince me that 9 points should go somewhere else for a specific purposes, without "breaking" it.

Those 9 points in Special attack let it fufill it's job: Taking out Bulky Waters/Steels/Grounds. The defences are fine for an Aldaron (tm) Spread.

It's nice to know you're taking me seriously. (What's wrong with knocking Gyarados down a peg? He's been at least near the top 5 in usage every month since statistics started being compiled!)
If you cannot find a way on your team of stopping gyarados, then you lead a sad life, my friend. (Notables include Starmie, Vappy, Gengar and Dusknoir).

I don't think he's commenting on gyrados, I think he's referring to the fact that out speeding gyra whilst keeping bulky stats and pretty good SpA is broken. But then let's consider all those pokemon who do similar things (although it depends on what you define as bulky);
Salamence (95/80/80)
Garchomp
Staraptor (only on physical side)
Slaking (\/\/007, and then Aki's prob going to reply with something about Slaking sucking due to it's ability, it doesn't suck, it's just not uberly great)
Heracross
Pinsir
Moltres
Magmortar
Raikou
Entei
Arcanine
And probably more

I don't think he's commenting on gyrados, I think he's referring to the fact that out speeding gyra whilst keeping bulky stats and pretty good SpA is broken. But then let's consider all those pokemon who do similar things (although it depends on what you define as bulky);
Salamence (95/80/80)
Garchomp
Staraptor (only on physical side)
Slaking (\/\/007, and then Aki's prob going to reply with something about Slaking sucking due to it's ability, it doesn't suck, it's just not uberly great)
Heracross
Pinsir
Moltres
Magmortar
Raikou
Entei
Arcanine
And probably more
I just totally lost you here; CotH wants this thing to outspeed Gyara. Bulky in my book is 100/High 90+/high 90+ with good typing, or 100/100/100. Clarify then i'll comment.

EDIT:

Offensive. Specially orentated.
Just saying its offensive is pointless, at least give a reason as to why you think so. I could compare this to Swampert who is considered "Balanced"
and definitely see a fair amount of similarities especially where defenses are concerned. So why can't i just say this spread is "Balanced".

Like i said in my previous post there needs to be a definition for "Defensive/Balanced/Offensive" so we can know what exactly we are working with.

Just saying its offensive is pointless, at least give a reason as to why you think so. I could compare this to Swampert who is considered "Balanced"
and definitely see a fair amount of similarities especially where defenses are concerned. So why can't i just say this spread is "Balanced".

Like i said in my previous post there needs to be a definition for "Defensive/Balanced/Offensive" so we can know what exactly we are working with.

Right. When you've got a Spike like that, it becomes offensive. The spread you've suggested looks like this:

Which is 90/80/85/105/85/90.
Graphed, it looks somewhat like this: ___^__. There's a big spike of SpA. At least Swampert has that fat HP and bulkier defences to "Balance" it out.

Strictly speaking, Balanced would look somthing like 110/90/110/90/110/90 at the very most. Offensive would be 100/120/90/120/90/100+, and defensive would be 100+/90/120/90/120/90. These are only guidelines, and i'm too lazy to work out percents.

If you cannot find a way on your team of stopping gyarados, then you lead a sad life, my friend. (Notables include Starmie, Vappy, Gengar and Dusknoir).
I always make sure I deal with Gyarados. My last team had Azelf and Metagross try to deal with it.

If you're looking for bulk, Gyarados is 95/79/100. Vaporeon is 130/60/95. EVs allow you to not need 100/100/100 to be able to be bulky.
Besides, you commented on my bulky spread which happens to be 100/79/94; that's not 100/100/100. (Of course, Fire/Grass isn't terrible typing, either.)

Right. When you've got a Spike like that, it becomes offensive. The spread you've suggested looks like this:

Which is 90/80/85/105/85/90.
Graphed, it looks somewhat like this: ___^__. There's a big spike of SpA. At least Swampert has that fat HP and bulkier defences to "Balance" it out.

Strictly speaking, Balanced would look somthing like 110/90/110/90/110/90 at the very most. Offensive would be 100/120/90/120/90/100+, and defensive would be 100+/90/120/90/120/90. These are only guidelines, and i'm too lazy to work out percents.
Swampert however still has a base 110 atk to work with while i'm only going up to 105, I could also say your "Balanced" spread of 110/90/110/90/110/90 is more defensive than anything.

Comparing the base stats like that is not what i'm getting at though. What i'd like to be worked out is what qualifies as a balanced number for the base stat. is 80 balanced, is 100 balanced do we go as far as to say 110 is "Balanced".

People has talked about Base 70-90 as medium/average/balanced with regards to the Speed stat, can I apply that to the rest of the stats as well? If so I look at Aldaron's spread as a more defensive pokemon rather than "balanced"

I like your new spread, Aldaron, but would

118 HP / 73 Atk / 106 Def / 95 SpA / 91 SpD / 62 Spe

be acceptable? The extra SpA puts it close enough to "Special Oriented" that I don't think anyone will care (your current spread might be rejected because of 71/90), the extra attack will allow a guaranteed OHKO (might be a point off, I'm not calcing because I'm in a hurry out the door) on TTar with a Wood Hammer/Power Whip, and the extra speed will allow it to compete with TTar without outspeeding the other "checks".

The fact that my spread turned out a lot like aldaron's old one is no coincidence, but not me being a rip-off either (this is not me defending myself, just clarifying!). It seems the most logical thing to do with all the limitations given.

I would have loved to make one of this thing's defenses more penetrable, but with the Mixed Wall limit, they couldn't be far apart. I would have loved a lower stat total, but it wasn't meant to be. This could be solved by doing the opposite of what Aki did (making Atk lower as to make other stats higher): as in, putting points in Atk to make SpA higher, but this thing needed a 30% boundary between Atk and SpAtk, SpAtk being the higher one, so that wasn't meant to be. The only way to do it was to make Special Attack higher, but Special Attack is the prime stat I was afraid of pumping points into, considering that it is guaranteed to have access to a Hidden Power that compliments its already near perfect STAB.

FYI:

Mekkah_: 120 / 65 / 106 / 90 / 95 / 60
aldaron: 118 / 71 / 106 / 90 / 91 / 60
(aldaron's new spread, _ added to show the synchronisation)

Come to think of it:
Iggybot: 120 / 60 / 95 / 90 / 110 / 65

Iggybot's is basically a slightly faster version that focuses on SpDef rather than Def.

aldaron...I noticed I made an error in the Atk requirement. I had Excel use 75% of SpA rather than 70% as its cap for Atk. The cap originally was 67, which you are already over, but it really is 63 with the correct calculation. I can't believe it either, but fact is, it needs even more stat points elsewhere.

So, until I come up with a better idea, I rambled about a lot with my spread to create something new.

135 / 66 / 100 / 95 / 89 / 60 - Total 536, 9 left
Boundaries with current settings:
Def: 76-106
SpDef: 80-120
Atk cap: 66

I'll fiddle about a bit more later, as well as post new explanations. Please someone tell me my Excel is broken and that I can use more Atk.

Actually, since our Pokemon is Special Oriented, 71/90 would be rejected.
(90 * (1 - .30) = 63)
73/95 would also be rejected. (95 * (1 - .30) = 66.5)

I do like Aldaron's spread for its intentions, though, so I suggest to you, Aldaron, change it to either 66/95 (adjust both by equal amounts) or 70/100 so that it will be Special Oriented. Well, you could lower Attack to 63 and raise Speed to--

*shot

EDIT: Ninja'd by Mekkah on Aldaron's spread. And no, your Excel isn't broken. :(

Actually, since our Pokemon is Special Oriented, 71/90 would be rejected.
(90 * (1 - .30) = 63)
73/95 would also be rejected. (95 * (1 - .30) = 66.5)

I do like Aldaron's spread for its intentions, though, so I suggest to you, Aldaron, change it to either 66/95 (adjust both by equal amounts) or 70/100 so that it will be Special Oriented. Well, you could lower Attack to 63 and raise Speed to--

*shot
The 30% limitation was lowered to 25% or so to allow a little more leeway.

Ah, I wish I had looked for that beforehand. Mekkah's "error" wasn't an error, then?

(90 * .75 = 67.5)
(95 * .75 = 71.25)

Aldaron's and Gloom's spreads would still be rejected, though. :(

And Mekkah, feel free to bump up that Atk from 66 to 71. :D

Aldaron

geriatric
Haha, I thought we agreed that these "lines" for what is "Special Attacking" were arbitrary :(

But anyway, here is the new and improved spread, taking into account what Aki, Lord Gloom, and Mekkah have all stated:

118 HP / 73 Atk / 106 Def / 97 SpA / 91 SpD / 60 Spe

(Btw Lord Gloom, a Pokemon would need 285 Atk to have a 2.56% chance of OHKOing 0 HP / 0 Def TTar with STAB Power Whip, meaning 81 minimum base Atk, not 71. However, an interesting fact to note is that at 73 base Atk, the minimum is 182 Atk, and after 1 Howl it reaches 273, the minimum required to OHKO min / min Tar on average with Stealth Rock in play. 73 is a VERY interesting number for its Atk. I also used 97 * .75 = 92.75 (rounded up to 93) as the "special attacking" formula. I believe it was lowered to 75%, and I just took the liberty to round up. Some Tars also run 404 HP / 281 Def in order to always survive a Jolly Dugtrio's Choice Band Earthquake after Stealth Rock, and a Swords Dance off of the minimum Atk for this Pokemon would also allow it to OHKO that Tar on average with Power Whip...very interesting number indeed.)

Again, I'd like to reiterate the beauty of the the 118 HP / 106 Def / 91 SpD defensive spread...

440 HP / 311 Def / 247 SpD -> Mixed Spread (252 HP / 140 Def / 116 SpD Bold)

It is the minimum that would allow this Pokemon to switch into Stealth Rock and not be 2HKOed on average by a non boosted Adamant Garchomp's Outrage and a Life Orb Gengar's Shadow Ball.

To be honest Mekkah, I don't like your new spread at all :/

135 HP / 100 Def / 89 SpD

A mixed spread of 252 HP / 104 Def / 152 SpD Bold would yield 474 HP / 288 Def / 252 SpD

This spread is a whole 10% more defensive on average than my spread, and I specifically geared my spread to be as defensive on average without "going too far."

My spread, while having the extraordinarily useful ability to switch into the common STABs of both Gengar and Garchomp, was checked by the fact that Adamant Choice Band Staraptor's Brave Bird OHKOed it 75% of the time (yours is just barely on average, I think the only potential OHKO in the OU game should be a little more than on average, at least), and that that same Life Orb Gengar could surprise you and Sludge Bomb you and have a chance to OHKO you after that Stealth Rock (whereas for yours a 359 Life Orb Sludge Bomb will never allow for a OHKO). Note I am not including Specs Gengar because honestly, that is not that common. The most powerful, and relatively common SE attacks for both sides of the spectrum are Adamant Staraptor's Choice Band Brave Bird and Timid Gengar's Life Orb Sludge Bomb, and I think both should have some sort of ability to OHKO this Pokemon, whether with Stealth Rock (Gengar) or without (Staraptor). In addition, my defensive spread allows for Tyranitar to have a small chance to OHKO with Adamant Choice Band Stone Edge, while yours removes this entirely once again :(

I seriously think that making this Pokemon's defense anymore defensive on average would be going too far. Like I said, I specifically made the defenses to be as defensive on average as possible, while still remaining within the vicinity of being able to be 1HKOed with or without Stealth Rock from both sides of the spectrum. My spread allows four Pokemon to do this: Tyranitar and Staraptor with Choice Band on the physical side without Stealth Rock, and Gengar and Roserade with Life Orb orb on the special side with Stealth Rock.

As for 97 Special Attack, this was just chosen to remain consistent with our decidedly arbitrary method of determining if something is Special Attacking or not, lol.

97 Special Attack still allows it to reach a respectable 322 Special Attack, Aki.

At the minimum of 230, it still 2HKOs Hippowdon and Suicune (252 HP / 0 SpD spreads for both, the most common ones) every time, and only needs 16 SpA EVs to 2HKO Bronzong (252 HP / 252 SpD Careful) on average with Fire Blast.

The maximum of 322 Special Attack will allow it to always OHKO that same Hippowdon, and it is an interesting check against Calm Mind Suicune. Leech Seed should be able to help you beat it anyway, but if you decide not to run Leech Seed, 322 Special Attack Grass Knot does 52% minimum to Suicune after 1 Calm Mind and 39% minimum to it after 2 Calm Minds, meaning you can actually switch our Pokemon in and simply Grass Knot Suicune to death.

Just a note is that with the increase from 71 to 73 Atk and from 91 to 97, this "stat result" number went from 520 to 540 :/.

I could keep it low (back to 520) if I lowered Atk to 69 and raised Special Attack to 93 on my original spread, (-2 Atk, +2 SpA), but I honestly feel that with the way I constructed the defenses, the fear of this Pokemon being broken should not necessarily exist.

Basically, I took Lord Gloom's opinion into account to allow our Pokemon to have a chance to OHKO Ttar with Howl / Swords Dance with a surprise physical set; I took Aki's opinion into account and increased the Special Attack, and I took Mekkah's statement into account and made the Atk 75% of SpA.

I really have to remain stubborn about the Speed bit though, Lord Gloom.

As I outlined in my previous post, Togekiss and Tentacruel are two strong counters, and Aerodactyl and Crobat are two slightly weaker counters. Tyranitar, however, is the best "check" (next to Gyarados perhaps), and I really think it should remain as such, and making this Pokemon have 60 base Speed would help solidify that.

Actually, a Life Orbed Power Whip/Wood Hammer off a Max+ 73 base would do 354-416 to a minimum Tyranitar running 356 HP. I'd ramp it up more if I could, but I guess we can't really move on this matter, so I'm satisfied.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)