CAP 3 CAP 3 - Part 10 (Movepool Discussion)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't really see this thing learning Will-o-Wisp as a level up move. Doesn't make a difference either way, though.

I really couldn't care less if it got a recovery move, but I don't see how Synthesis (or Morning Sun/Moonlight, same difference) could be overpowering with Sandstorm and Hail in pretty much every battle. It also allows it to synergize a bit more with Sunny Day teams.

On the topic of stat-up moves, we seem to be going a bit crazy with the physical side, but ignoring the special (which is what it was voted to focus on). Howl and Growth seem like they could serve a purpose but not make this thing either impenetrable or unoutspeedable. (that's a mouthful...)

FWIW, I love the idea of this thing learning Flash Cannon and Zap Cannon, though the odds of me using them are approximately zero. (I'm pretty sure Steel is 100% redundant in the face of Fire/Grass STAB.)

On the off chance that restricting the physical movepool becomes an issue, Wood Hammer and Flare Blitz should probably become incompatible Egg Moves. Also, Curse/DD/SD (if it gets them) should probably force it to pick one or the other--no SD/FB/WH/filler. But we should wait to see if this ever becomes an issue, then build the egg moves and what egg group(s) it's in around that.

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I think another move that we should vote on is Stun Spore. Some people post it, while others don't, and I've seen people complain about it.

I say nay to Stun Spore. For one, its odd from flavor standpoint, and giving this guy any reliable way of outspeeding pretty much anything is a bad call I believe. As Aldaron has stressed (multiple times), Woodman's soft counters mostly rely on their ability to outspeed him, rather than be able to totally wall or right out demolish him. Lots of those "checks" are very close battles that just favor the checker over checkee due to speed.

On this note, I retract Glare from my set.

I think another move that we should vote on is Stun Spore. Some people post it, while others don't, and I've seen people complain about it.
I see what you mean. There's also that question should it be able to have both Wood Hammer and Flare Blitz together in one set. Is there anything else that needs to be voted on?

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yes, Curse. If it does not get Sword Dance Curse would be a viable alternative, same with Bulk Up.

And agreeing that WH+FB needs to be voted on.

Main disagreements seem to be:

Physical movepool and boosters

Bulk Up
Curse
Swords Dance
Dragon Dance
- Brick Break
- Rock Slide
Wood Hammer and/or Flare Blitz

Utility

Stun Spore
Reflect/Light Screen
Synthesis

Special Attacks

Zap Cannon
Charge Beam
Ancientpower
Leaf Storm

eric the espeon

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Swords Dance, Dragon Dance, Wood Hammer and/or Flare Blitz, Stun Spore, screens, Zap Cannon, Charge Beam and Synthesis seem to cause the most disagreements.
I would add Ancientpower, Rock Slide, Brick Break, and Bulk Up/Curse to that list.

Edit:

Reposting this with a few edits based on peoples opinions.

Bold Needs a vote.

Code:
TM 05-Roar
TM 06-Toxic
TM 08-[B]Bulk Up[/B]
TM 09-Bullet Seed
TM 10-Hidden Power
TM 11-Sunny Day
TM 15-Hyper Beam
TM 17-Protect
TM 19-Giga Drain
TM 21-Frustration
TM 23-Iron Tail
TM 27-Return
TM 28-Dig
TM 30-Shadow Ball
TM 31-[B]Brick Break: only 75 base power, lets it do something to Blissey. 
It also lets it take on Heatran if you invest a lot in attack.[/B]
TM 32-Double Team
TM 34-Shock Wave could stop flying Pokemon.
TM 35-Flamethrower
TM 36-Sludge Bomb
TM 38-Fire Blast
TM 39-Rock Tomb
TM 40-Aerial Ace
TM 42-Façade
TM 43-Secret Power
TM 44-Rest
TM 45-Attract
TM 50-Overheat
TM 53-Energy Ball
TM 56-Fling
TM 57-[B]Charge Beam[/B]
TM 58-Endure
TM 61-Will-o-Wisp TM 66-Payback
TM 68-Giga Impact
TM 75-[B]Sword Dance hmm with a decent movepool SD could work well, maybe too well, 
 however with such a low base attack it may not be truly broken.[/B]
TM 76-Stealth Rock
TM 80-[B]Rock Slide[/B]
TM 82-Sleep Talk
TM 83-Natural Gift
TM 86-Grass Knot
TM 87-Swagger
TM 89-U-Turn
TM 90-Substitute
TM 91-Flash Cannon

HM 04-Strength
HM 06-Rock Smash
HM 08-Rock Climb

Why are you guys leaving out Dragon Dance. More people like Dragon Dance than they don't like it. You would rather add Bulk Up over Dragon Dance, which i think is outrageously crazy. See me argument for Curse versus Dragon Dance if you wonder why i disagree on Bulk Up.

eric the espeon

Why are you guys leaving out Dragon Dance. More people like Dragon Dance than they don't like it. You would rather add Bulk Up over Dragon Dance, which i think is outrageously crazy. See me argument for Curse versus Dragon Dance if you wonder why i disagree on Bulk Up.
urm... my list was just TM/HMs, Mekkah did have DD on his list.

Edit: Mekkah Synthesis is a utility move not a Special attack.

Your mom is utility. :O fixed

Lil Ant, what's your point? Dragon Dance will indeed probably be one of those moves that requires voting.

Bulk Up NO
Curse NO
Swords Dance NO
Dragon Dance Maybe

- Brick Break No
- Rock Slide Maybe
Wood Hammer and/or Flare Blitz Or

I would say no dragon dance if it gets brick break.Dragon Dance,Flare Blitz,Brick Break,and Hp Ice beats just about everything important to it.

Utility

Stun Spore NO
Reflect/Light Screen Yes

I can't see stun spore being anything more annoying,I guess stun spore cripples it counters enough for woodman to have chance.I am trusting others on this one.NO

Special Attacks

Zap Cannon Maybe
Charge Beam No
Synthesis Yes
Ancientpower No
Leaf Storm Maybe

Leaf Storm makes no sense flavor wise imo but it does not throw the balance out of wack,I would be fine if people wanted it.I would rather no electric or rock moves but if you had a gun to my head i would choose RockSlide and Zap cannon

Dragon Dance will only need voting if you guys give it Brick Break or Rock Slide. Base the pool of Dragon Dance from my movepool and you will see it isn't over powering thanks to the physical options i suggested with it.

eric the espeon

Dragon Dance will only need voting if you guys give it Brick Break or Rock Slide. Base the pool of Dragon Dance from my movepool and you will see it isn't over powering thanks to the physical options i suggested with it.
LA we are voting on them too, your spread is not necessarily the one we are basing it off.

I don't think we are voting in this thread, but oh well here I go.

Bulk Up yes
Curse yes
Swords Dance yes
Dragon Dance no
- Brick Break yes
- Rock Slide yes
Wood Hammer and/or Flare Blitz both

Utility

Stun Spore no
Reflect/Light Screen no
Synthesis no

Special Attacks

Zap Cannon yes
Charge Beam maybe
Ancientpower maybe
Leaf Storm yes
Really do you see ANY Pokemon sweeping with 70 base attack? Sure its bulky but look at its stats max with a + Nature (severely decreasing its survivability) only reaches 262 Attack I mean really is that SO threatening that we cant give it any boosts?

Its defensive enough without healing and the screens, Stun Spore would be kinda ok but it cripples the fast counters.

Zap Cannon is inaccurate and Leaf Storm is just bad compared to Grass Knot so they are both fine.

Charge Beam gives it a way to boost its halfway decent Sp. attack (317 max) without sacrificing a moveslot for Growth, its electric type is not too much of a problem.

Ancientpower..... Hmmm I just can't decide... it would be a gimmick but if activated it would make this thing near unstoppable....

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
LA we are voting on them too, your spread is not necessarily the one we are basing it off.

I don't think we are voting in this thread, but oh well here I go.

Really do you see ANY Pokemon sweeping with 70 base attack? Sure its bulky but look at its stats max with a + Nature (severely decreasing its survivability) only reaches 262 Attack I mean really is that SO threatening that we cant give it any boosts?

Its defensive enough without healing and the screens, Stun Spore would be kinda ok but it cripples the fast counters.

Zap Cannon is inaccurate and Leaf Storm is just bad compared to Grass Knot so they are both fine.

Charge Beam gives it a way to boost its halfway decent Sp. attack (317 max) without sacrificing a moveslot for Growth, its electric type is not too much of a problem.

Ancientpower..... Hmmm I just can't decide... it would be a gimmick but if activated it would make this thing near unstoppable....

Beloom Seed Bomb: 394 ATK * 80 BP = 31520
This Wood Hammer: 262 ATK * 120 BP = 31440

Same EV's and Nature and Breloom Seed Bomb beats this out by less than 1%. To be sure Focus Punch does a lot more damage, but Sky Uppercut doesn't, and unlike Breloom this doesn't have a nasty 4x weak. After a Swords Dance this soundly defeats many physical sweepers in pure power.

No Zap Cannon. Zap Cannon may be a bad Thunder but it can randomly OHKO any of this pokemon's checks, and even if it can't it can cripple them with paralysis and put them in Flamethrower KO range.

Leaf Storm is LOADS better than Grass Knot. Leaf Storm is guarenteed to be 140 BP. Grass Knot can be anywhere between 60 and 120 on most OU pokemon. Whereas Grass Knot might fail to KO things like Starmie and Miltoic, Leaf Storm can defeat them.

THe Problem is that if it uses a novelty set with Seed Bomb, Bulk Up/Curse, and Battle Armor, It's Defense is impenitrable, as Battle Armor prevents Critical Hits, which would normally make attacks bypass the Defense Boost. Swords Dance will make it broken, too. That's why I think if it does have an Attack booster, it should be Howl.

Bulk Up [ No ]
Bulk Up will be such a broken and monsterous thing on this Pokemon. It raises his offense which isn't that bad, but at the same time it makes this thing able to tank better than every single Curser there is. His main form of weakness if from the physical side. Aerial Ace, Brave Bird, Rock Slide and Stone Edge. He already gets the chance to hit Rock type Pokemon with STAB Wood Hammer after a Bulk Up. The boon this Pokemon has gaining defense is to much a of wager to try and live with. Maybe if it didn't have such offensive typing to hit back the Pokemon trying to go up against it, it would be alright. But the fact that it has two great STAB to onrush the opposing Pokemon with, raising it's defense would make it near unbeatable.
Curse [ No ]
See Bulk Up
Swords Dance [ No ]
Swords Dance for this Pokemon is very staggering. The bulk this Pokemon has ruins the chance for it to raise its attack +2 stages. His physical movepool may leave you in incertitude about this decision i made for banning Swords Dance, but here is my reasoning. Adding +2 stages to his mere 70 Base Attack isn't because he will rip and run through everything in it's way, it is because he will with stand the damage of everything that stands in its way. Once he Swords Dances, there will be either
  1. A Hazer
  2. A Roar
  3. A revenge killer
Since he is so damn bulky and defensive he will leave a big amout of damage on the phazer trying to do its job. I'm sure you're asking, why doesn't the phazer attack him directly? The phazer is thinking in its mind, this Pokemon can withstand a lot my moves probably won't even leave a dent. Lastly, most revenge killers are situational, so they have come once a Pokemon dies or the most predict perfectly and pray not to eat one of it's 120 Base Power moves.
Dragon Dance [ Yes ]
Dragon Dance seems like a the perfect offensive option for a myriad amount of reasons. Dragon Dance's notorious legacy in the Pokemon world for being on some of the most popular Pokemon such as Dragonite, Salamence, Kingdra, Gyarados and more. Leonin wouldn't mind be added to that category. Also, the speed boost of Dragon Dance leaves the trainer in profound consideration of chosing the move. Which in conclusion, makes a physical set worth using. Lets be honest, who one earth would use Howl? While the speed boost is something to think about, it doesn't make the Pokemon overpowering, in fact it makes it less of a hassle to attack back against. A Dragon Dance set would be mostly focused on Attack and Speed ev wise, basically it would be focused on offense and not defense. I'm sure you get where i am going with this, it would leave the Pokemon vulnerable to more moves, which in turns makes it easier to defend against.
- Brick Break [ No ]
Brick Break lets it defeat Heatran and Tyranitar with ease. Grass Knot helps against Tyranitar but Brick Break just makes it instant kill.
- Rock Slide [ No ]
All Fire types lose to this now, except Heatran, but a big chunk of checks are out the window. Gyarados and Salamence will still win most likely, thanks to Intimidate but they won't live forever. Also it makes a Dragon Dance set less valuable.
Wood Hammer and/or Flare Blitz [Yes]
Flare Blitz and Wood Hammer on the same set is fine. It makes a Choice Band set worth using. But only one of them should be allowed when using Draon Dance not to overpower the metagame.

Utility

Stun Spore [ No ]
Stun Spore isn't entirely a problem to be honest. I just remember someone pointing out ( excuse me for forgetting your name ) that Leech Seed plus Stun Spore and 101 Subs would be very annoying and difficult to beat. All you you need is 1 full paralysis on your hands and you could be at a big advantage when stalling.
Reflect/Light Screen [ No ]
The Screens just make this Pokemon even more bulky and hard to take down. I think it is a bad idea.
Synthesis [ No ]
Even though it is only 8 PP, 50 percent healing is no joke on something like this. Having to use Rest at least gives you the chance to have free turns to attack. Even with Sandstorm and Hail everywhere, Synthesis can promote a Sunny Day rant everywhere, which isn't a bad thing. But then the 66 percent healing makes this thing even more harder to defend against.

Special Attacks

Zap Cannon [ No ]
50 percent accuracy is bad, but the bulk of the Pokemon and the benefit he recieves from using the move is to much of a hazard. The paralysis chance also makes it more difficult to defend against, just see me argument against Stun Spore.
Charge Beam [ No ]
Basically gives it a Growth and a chance to hit the Fire/Flying and Gyarados all with 1 Stone so to speak.
Ancientpower [ No ]
Nothing is seriously wrong with Ancient Power, but it opens the door for other Hidden Powers aside from Rock. Fire Blast, Grass Knot, Ancientpower, Hidden Power Ice/Ground, but if Ancientpower wasn't an option, the trainer would have to contrast the Ice /Ground Hidden Power with Rock in it.
Leaf Storm[ Iffy]
i really don't mind Leafstorm, but then it eliminates Kingdra from being a decent switch in to Leonin. Aside from Kingdra, i think Leafstorm is fine, it doesn't seem broken at all. Kingdra is a very important check, it can even Haze the Dragon Dance set. Leonin needs all the checks he can get, which is why i'm so iffy about Leaf Storm.

Bulk Up No
Curse No
Swords Dance No
Dragon Dance No
- Brick Break No
- Rock Slide No
Wood Hammer and/or Flare Blitz And

Utility

Stun Spore No
Reflect/Light Screen No
Synthesis Maybe

Special Attacks

Zap Cannon No
Charge Beam Maybe
Ancientpower No
Leaf Storm No

Pound
Growl
Ember
7. Bullet Seed
13. Headbutt
17. Growth
21. Leech Seed
23. Seed Bomb
28. WOW
33. Energy Ball
39. Sunny Day
45. Synthesis/Morning Sun - Dislike these.. Maybe Hyper Beam instead?
51. Lava Plume
57. Solar beam
63. Eruption
I like the current moveset, 'cept the changes I made :]

Originally Posted by Fat Mekkah

Bulk Up [ No ]
Bulk Up will be such a broken and monsterous thing on this Pokemon. It raises his offense which isn't that bad, but at the same time it makes this thing able to tank better than every single Curser there is. His main form of weakness if from the physical side. Aerial Ace, Brave Bird, Rock Slide and Stone Edge. He already gets the chance to hit Rock type Pokemon with STAB Wood Hammer after a Bulk Up. The boon this Pokemon has gaining defense is to much a of wager to try and live with. Maybe if it didn't have such offensive typing to hit back the Pokemon trying to go up against it, it would be alright. But the fact that it has two great STAB to onrush the opposing Pokemon with, raising it's defense would make it near unbeatable.
Curse [ No ]
See Bulk Up
Swords Dance [ No ]
Swords Dance for this Pokemon is very staggering. The bulk this Pokemon has ruins the chance for it to raise its attack +2 stages. His physical movepool may leave you in incertitude about this decision i made for banning Swords Dance, but here is my reasoning. Adding +2 stages to his mere 70 Base Attack isn't because he will rip and run through everything in it's way, it is because he will with stand the damage of everything that stands in its way. Once he Swords Dances, there will be either
  1. A Hazer
  2. A Roar
  3. A revenge killer
Since he is so damn bulky and defensive he will leave a big amout of damage on the phazer trying to do its job. I'm sure you're asking, why doesn't the phazer attack him directly? The phazer is thinking in its mind, this Pokemon can withstand a lot my moves probably won't even leave a dent. Lastly, most revenge killers are situational, so they have come once a Pokemon dies or the most predict perfectly and pray not to eat one of it's 120 Base Power moves.
Dragon Dance [ Yes ]
Dragon Dance seems like a the perfect offensive option for a myriad amount of reasons. Dragon Dance's notorious legacy in the Pokemon world for being on some of the most popular Pokemon such as Dragonite, Salamence, Kingdra, Gyarados and more. Leonin wouldn't mind be added to that category. Also, the speed boost of Dragon Dance leaves the trainer in profound consideration of chosing the move. Which in conclusion, makes a physical set worth using. Lets be honest, who one earth would use Howl? While the speed boost is something to think about, it doesn't make the Pokemon overpowering, in fact it makes it less of a hassle to attack back against. A Dragon Dance set would be mostly focused on Attack and Speed ev wise, basically it would be focused on offense and not defense. I'm sure you get where i am going with this, it would leave the Pokemon vulnerable to more moves, which in turns makes it easier to defend against.

Wow! You really must love to debate, you always muster some sort of lengthy post for every thing you believe in. But, i can see you really like Dragon Dance and you're making me a believer with this post. I think Dragon Dance makes sense for every reason you named. I was leaning on voting for Swords Dance, but you brought that counters not thinking to attack directly to the light. I never was a fan of Bulk Up / Curse though, i thought that was a horrible idea.

I do think Maximus fits more than Leonin though! = P

Moveset # 1 @ Life Orb/ Leftovers
Dragon Dance
Flare Blitz
Seed Bomb
Double Edge / Iron Tail

Moveset # 2 @ Leftovers
Leech Seed
Lava Plume
Grass Knot / Chloray
U-Turn / Toxic

Moveset # 3 @ Choice Specs
Overheat / Fire Blast
Hidden Power Rock / Ground / Ice
Chloray
U-turn

Moveset # 4 @ Choice Band
U-turn
Flare Blitz
Wood Hammer
Iron Tail / Double Edge

Moveset # 5 @ Leftovers
Leech Seed
Lava Plume
Rest
Sleep Talk / Grass Knot/ Chloray

Frosty

=_=
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I guess it can't hurt to give some input.

Bulk Up.

No. I'd rather have Curse. At least with Curse everything will outrun Woodman.

Curse
Maybe...probably not. I find Curse a better option if compared to Bulk Up, but it is still quite dangerous. Finding a pokemon uncapable of stopping him from cursing isn't hard, and he wasn't supposed to outrun anything in order to be effective anyway.

Swords Dance

No. Being able to use 2 120BP attacks with no drawbacks is powerful enough. I am all for Howl, though.

Dragon Dance

No. Get what I've said above and add the ability to actually outrun possible threats. Sure, it will probably need a couple DDs before actually having a chance of sweeping a team, but, unlike Gyarados, he doesn't have 4x weakness, and only maybe a very strong Stone Edge can pose a threat to it. I don't have the exact numbers, so forgive me if I exagerated, but I find this option quite...uh...scary.

- Brick Break

It isn't all that necessary, IMO. Neutral STABed Wood Hammer/Flare Blitz deals more damage than a SE Brick Break, STABed Flare Blitz takes care of metal types except for Heatran and Wood Hammer takes care of Tyranitar. Unless you really feel the need to counter Heatran, I don't find this move necessary.

- Rock Slide

read above. Also, as some people have mentioned, it gives woodman a good move to use against fire pokes...maybe too good, and that isn't a good thing.

- Wood Hammer and/or Flare Blitz

Both. I don't get why people want to make this defensive poke even more defensive. The best thing about this typing are the STAB moves, and the ability to use both Flare Blitz and Wood Hammer is everything you will need to make a decent physical attacking move. It can lose it's stat up moves and I won't mind, but I really think it should keep both attacks and maintain it's nice type coverage.

Utility

Stun Spore

No. Leech Seed/Burn is annoyance enough, really. Also, a speed dropping move isn't a very good option, since it would remove one of Woodman's biggest weakness.

Reflect/Light Screen

Probably not. I don't know...Woodman is already bulky enough as is and the only reason I wouldn't mind giving it Light Screen/Reflect was to make it a better support poke. But I guess burn is close enough.

Synthesis

Giving this poke healing attacks is veeery tricky, IMO. On one side hail and sandstorm are so common that it will end up healing 1/3 more often than you may think....but also if you manage to get a sunny day going, you will get a pretty much unstoppable poke. In the end I would end up voting yes for it, but I am not really sure.

Special Attacks

Zap Cannon

No. Well, I absolutely hate luck-based moves..and nothing yells more that than a move with 50% chance of dealing insane damage AND paralysing.

Charge Beam

Why not? Considering how I am all for Growth, giving this a less reliable yet damaging version of it seems fine by me. Also, the 50 power will make sure it doesn't hit anything harder than flamethrower or energy ball would hit.

Ancientpower

I don't have problems with this move, TBH. If you feel like using Hidden Power, Ancientpower AND a STAB move at the same time and lose some precious slots for support moves, be my guest. Either way, I don't think it is powerful enough to deal insane damage with this move, so I really don't mind.

Leaf Storm

Yes. This thing will be already begging for move slots with the support moves, the possible rest and the offensive moves, so I don't mind giving it Leaf Storm to go with overheat, really. If you feel like using that type coverage fire/grass gives you and use up two slots just for that, be my guest.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I really don't want to create any new moves. This pokemon has plenty going for it, it does not need a signature move. I've seen several references to a new special grass move for this guy. I don't know if GT is seriously considering it, but I think it's a bad idea.

Grass Knot and Energy Ball are just fine. I love the risk-reward decision of choosing between those moves.

I still don't think I like Leaf Storm, but lots of grassers get it. If it comes down to it, I'd prefer to see it get Leaf Storm over a new grass move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)