CAP 3 CAP 3 - Part 9 (Main Ability Discussion)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, maybe Chlorophyll and Rock Head don't need to be renamed, but if some people are going to consider not voting for them just because the name of the ability doesnt fit the pokemon then that's gonna cause a bias in the voting.

To avoid bias for and against names of abilities the poll should be organised so that we are voting for the description of the ability not the name of it:
That could be a great idea there. Too many people bitch and moan over some abilities because the damn name doesn't fit the Pokemon appearance so well. It has nothing to do with their effect, they love the effect of abilities like Rock Head, but it's the fact it have the word "Rock" in it is what driving some people mad. Like...can't you just suck it up and deal with it? Is giving a Pokemon "Rock Head" when he has a wooden helmet that horrible that you won't use it?

IMO Heatproof is a bad idea for our poke since Heatran and all other Fire pokes would lose viability as threats.
Then don't vote on it then. Heatproof fit this guy nicely and it be on the poll. It's not like we're forcing you to vote on =P

...Heatran and basically every non-Charizard, non-Moltres Fire Pokemon say "Hi".
*headpalm* Is it wrong to say "tough luck" to all those fire types not named Moltres and Charizard. Really now...is allowing a few not widely used fire type Pokemon survive against this thing worth stripping it of any or all Ground/Rock moves?

Then don't vote on it then. Heatproof fit this guy nicely and it be on the poll. It's not like we're forcing you to vote on =P
Drought could theoretically work on it too, but it's too good to put on him. Same applies to Heatproof.

*headpalm* Is it wrong to say "tough luck" to all those fire types not named Moltres and Charizard. Really now...is allowing a few not widely used fire type Pokemon survive against this thing worth stripping it of any or all Ground/Rock moves?
Considering we want to diversify the metagame, yes. Yes it is. It will already have Hidden Power, why give it more? With every ability that pumps damage dealt or dropping damage taken, as well as moves that increase it's SE hit range, the list of counters drops in droves.

I thought the entire point was to increase lower used Pokemon, not force only the highest used to be viable? If you remove non-flying Fire Pokemon, you're left with only Charizard, Moltres, and non-Garchomp Dragons that resist both STABs.

heatproof doesn't really affect the fire counter's that much. Moltres is almost always going to be throwing air slash around, the only charizards really seen use air slash or will just set up on you if you keep woodman in. Heatran will eventually just stall this thing out, if woodman is carrying hp ground heatran isn't a counter with or without heatproof.

At the end of the day i seriously doubt moltres or charizard will increase in usage just because of Woodman. First the stealth rock weakness that is even harder to spin away thanks to Revenankh.

Togekiss and Tentacruel are nearly as good at countering this thing and also help do a better job at countering the other two CAP projects. Both of which are much easier to build into a team as well and cover a much larger range of other OU threats.

If anything the creation of this thing will see Togekiss use continue to rise and possibly see more Staraptor get a bit more use.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
What is this pokemon going to add to the metagame? Obviously, it's a new typing that has never been seen before. That's a given on CAP pokemon, so that doesn't count as an answer. What is this pokemon's "mission statement"?

For Syclant, we had two recurring themes in all the creation polls. "A better Infernape than Infernape" and "Garchomp counter". You can argue whether we did either of those successfully, that's not the point. Throughout the creation process we seemed to hear those two "themes" mentioned a lot.

On Revenankh, the theme was almost set in stone right at the beginning and it rarely wavered -- "A legitimate Bulk Up user". It's pretty obvious we delivered on that one, maybe over-delivered.

For both of those pokemon, we were trying to introduce something to the metagame that was lacking or was missing entirely. We wanted to add something distinctive, beyond the obligatory cool typing.

What is this Fire/Grass pokemon going to add to the metagame, that is not already there?

"A good sub-seeder?"
I wouldn't say this is lacking. And I haven't seen many comments that indicate many people consider that this pokemon's "signature".

"A legitimate reason for Sunny Day?" (formerly "Kingdra of the Sun?")
Every ability or move that seems geared for sun is being shot down as making this thing "broken". Chlorophyll, Solar Power, Auto-Sun -- all seem to be meeting heavy resistance, with very compelling arguments behind them.

"A really good wall/tank?"
This is the closest thing to a common theme that is running through this thread. I hope we do better than this. Adding yet another sturdy poke to the game is hardly "groundbreaking". It won't change the metagame very much at all. Yes, it might give a slightly better counter here or there. But, the CAP project should have much higher aspirations than this. Why spend all this time on a creating a new poke, just to end up with a middle-of-the-road defensive poke with interesting typing. If all we get is cool typing and interesting art, then we've wasted a lot of time.

I bring this up because the ability of a pokemon can be a very big determinant in how it works and is used. I think Battle Armor makes a lot of sense with the design. But it really only supports a pokemon with a defensive theme. Yawn..... The same goes for a lot of the other "safe" abilities that are being advocated here. I agree some of the more daring ability descriptions are possibly broken. But, please do not use that as an excuse to advocate an ability that is boring-but-not-broken.

I think the heart of the dilemma is that no one has a really good idea what this pokemon can add to the game. There's no bold direction for this thing. There's no burning desire to make this thing fill a void. It's a Fire/Grass poke with cool wood cannons. Hoop-de-fucking-do...

Personally, I'd like to see this thing make Sunny Day a legitimate weather strategy. It's never been done before and the typing on this thing is perfect for it. However, if any of you think this will make Sunny Day usable just by virtue of it's stats and typing -- I completely disagree. Yes, this pokemon will make Sunny Day MORE appealing than it is right now. But, will this pokemon actually inspire people to run a Sunny day set? I doubt it.

It's gonna need some daring ability that gives it so much oomph in the sun that you base an entire team around it. If we give it oomph, it will likely push the limits of brokeness. Guess what? That's exactly what it takes to make a dent in the metagame.

cookie

my wish like everyone else is to be seen
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
OK, people need to stop trying to advocate traits that increase the number of resistances this thing has. It is weak to Flying, Rock and Poison. Poison is seen nowhere because of its garbage type coverage. Flying isn't even that common. That leaves it with one common weakness, mostly hitting its best defense stat. What's more, Woodman can fight back at anything with STAB behind Rock moves with STAB Grass moves.

heatproof doesn't really affect the fire counter's that much. Moltres is almost always going to be throwing air slash around, the only charizards really seen use air slash or will just set up on you if you keep woodman in. Heatran will eventually just stall this thing out, if woodman is carrying hp ground heatran isn't a counter with or without heatproof.
So because two fire Pokemon can throw Air Slash, we don't need to worry about the rest? Fire Blast would be just as powerful as Air Slash against this, so why neuter every other Fire Type? As for Heatran, who says you'll run HP Ground? HP Rock hits so many other things harder, and covers it's SE holes better.

At the end of the day i seriously doubt moltres or charizard will increase in usage just because of Woodman. First the stealth rock weakness that is even harder to spin away thanks to Revenankh.
Umm, this is why it shouldn't get heatproof? So that other fire types have a chance too?

Togekiss and Tentacruel are nearly as good at countering this thing and also help do a better job at countering the other two CAP projects. Both of which are much easier to build into a team as well and cover a much larger range of other OU threats.
Right. Let's make it so only two of the already highly used Pokemon can counter this! That seems logical, and doesn't stagnate anything.

If anything the creation of this thing will see Togekiss use continue to rise and possibly see more Staraptor get a bit more use.
More like Togekiss will be on nearly every team. Or if not Togekiss, some other absurdness like Tyranitar.

Drought could theoretically work on it too, but it's too good to put on him. Same applies to Heatproof.
Drought will be on the poll just for that :P. On a serious note, Drought is one of those abilities where you can slap it on any type of Pokemon and with enough "justification" via Pokedex or whatnot, no one would question it's why a certain thing like a Fish have it.

well as moves that increase it's SE hit range
What moves other than Fire, Grass, and Hidden Power does this thing going to have that increase it's range of SE hits? If you take out Earthquake, Earth Power, Stone Edge, Power Gem, Charge Beam, Zap Cannon (Maybe), Ice Beam, Hydro Pump, and a few other moves people are "against" then what do we have left?

I thought the entire point was to increase lower used Pokemon, not force only the highest used to be viable?
It is, I just forgot it. Maybe it was my fear that we're going to pull a damn Regigigas on it either with it's ability or it's movepool. Maybe I should just do the damn ability poll then.

the idea of this being a good sunny day user or the "kingdra of sun" went out of the window when for whatever the same people who wanted that idea went and voted to make this pokemon as bulky as possible.

If you want to diversify the metagame you try your best to make pokemon thats best counters lie in BL not currently OU, this things best counters are OU already.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
the idea of this being a good sunny day user or the "kingdra of sun" went out of the window when for whatever the same people who wanted that idea went and voted to make this pokemon as bulky as possible.

If you want to diversify the metagame you try your best to make pokemon thats best counters lie in BL not currently OU, this things best counters are OU already.
I agree that my conventional ideas about making Sunny Day viable were derailed with the bulkiness of this pokemon. But, I'm not ready to give up on Sunny Day entirely. If we don't make this a Sunny Day abuser, then what is this pokemon's "signature"?

A good defensive poke with interesting typing is not "balancing the metagame". If it makes a few BL or UU pokes more usable, that's a nice side effect -- but is that the single defining characteristic of this pokemon? I hope not. That would be sad if it is.

This pokemon is really begging for a purpose, and we don't have a good answer.

its purpose was to be a sunny day abuser, not yet another fucking bulky pokemon that could hit hard with great type coverage. That went out the window with the criteria that was required for the spreads.

I would like to see a concept thought out a bit more at earlier stages, the best CAP project was Revenanhk and thats because we all agreed on a new concept early and we stuck with it. With this we have been through about 3 different concepts and haven't really stuck with any of them. Now we are ending up with something that can't really pull off any of them and is turning into a clusterfuck of all different ideas without really being good at any of them.

Drought will be on the poll just for that :P.
You bastards, you blew it all up!
{/end 'Planet of the Apes'}

What moves other than Fire, Grass, and Hidden Power does this thing going to have that increase it's range of SE hits? If you take out Earthquake, Earth Power, Stone Edge, Power Gem, Charge Beam, Zap Cannon (Maybe), Ice Beam, Hydro Pump, and a few other moves people are "against" then what do we have left?
With just Fire and Grass alone, only the following Pokemon types both resist it and are in OU:
Dragon/Flying
Fire
Fire/Fighting
Fire/Flying
Fire/Dark
Fire/Steel

If you use HP Ground, the only things that will resist are:
Dragon/Flying
Fire/Flying

If you use HP Ice, the only things that will resist are:
Fire
Fire/Fighting
Fire/Dark
Fire/Steel

If you use HP Rock, the only things that will resist are:
None

With just those three moves, nothing will be able to resist it. Hell, it's STAB moves alone hit damned near everything as is. As for STAB SE:
Bug
Grass
Ice
Steel
Ground
Rock
Water

Add in HP Ground, and you add Electric, Fire, and Poison (plus double up on Steel and Rock). If you add in HP Ice, you add Dragon, Flying, and double up on Grass and Ground. If you add in HP Rock, you add Fire, Flying, and double up on Bug and Ice.

It is, I just forgot it. Maybe it was my fear that we're going to pull a damn Regigigas on it either with it's ability or it's movepool. Maybe I should just do the damn ability poll then.
Worst case scenerio is it gets over-balanced for a while and then we fix it after testing.

Well, it's one thing if it has no counters in BL, and only ones in OU. But it has many in BL, so why take that away just because you can? Ie: Just say no to Heatproof/FlashFire.

the problem with that is unless this gets a trait which only lets moltres/charizard be good against it, then we have been given no reason to use them over togekiss etc. The benefits of using togekiss/heatran as a counter for this far outweigh using charizard/moltres.

Except for the fact that Charizard/Moltres/every Fire Pokemon not affiliated with Rock or Ground resists both this Pokemon's STABs, whereas Togekiss is hit Neutrally with it's main STAB and Tyranitar is hit SE with it's secondary, right?

As for Heatran, what the hell is it doing to do to this guy if it gets Heatproof/FlashFire? Sit there looking like an aborted toad?

"A really good wall/tank?"
This is the closest thing to a common theme that is running through this thread. I hope we do better than this. Adding yet another sturdy poke to the game is hardly "groundbreaking". It won't change the metagame very much at all. Yes, it might give a slightly better counter here or there. But, the CAP project should have much higher aspirations than this. Why spend all this time on a creating a new poke, just to end up with a middle-of-the-road defensive poke with interesting typing. If all we get is cool typing and interesting art, then we've wasted a lot of time.
The idea I had in mind when making the base spread was a tank that beats other tanks. Simple but so effective that it could turn things upside down. It does this with his typing alone.

So, here's an idea to bring that further. How about we make this more of an anti-staller and give it...Rapid Spin? I know it doesn't make much sense looking at the art, but we have ways around that (either the "Fly Dodrio" way, the "Pokedex" way or the "let's give it a new name" way). People have been clamoring for a good Rapid Spinner for ages. Here we have a Pokemon that lasts forever, forces pretty much every Stealth Rocker and Spiker out (Toxic Spikes not so much, I'll admit) and has actual offense to take on Ghosts.

y/n

EDIT: Scrappy :D

Sounds good to me. It could spin on it's tail, it's cannons, or that weird chest protrusion it has.

Not sure if I like the idea of a scrappy Rapid Spinner though. Would make things easier, but would also:
1) Remove all other Spinners from their jobs
2) Be so easy to remove hazards that they wouldn't be worth putting down.

I agree Dane, but that is also the side that makes it attractive in my opinion. It gives the whole metagame a...twist, if you will. Of course, if it proves broken, we can reflect upon it and take away Scrappy, or stat points, etc.

I vote for Scrappy/Battle Armour as abilities, with Rapid Spin. Partly because I agree with Mekkah. Throwing the whole of OU into chaos would be fun.

This would make a very poor rapid spinner since it is actually weak to stealth rock, taking 25% every switch in.

Y not just make it king of the sun and give it Chlorophyll? seriously, it would not be broken.

Shall I add Scrappy into the list of abilities on the poll? Also I like to say that they're won't be any name change towards abilities. I think that we're all man enough to suck it up and accept it.

Edit: BTW If I remember correctly they were enough talk about Intimidate/Flash Fire in a few threads before this. Going to add them as option too since they got a good deal of attention.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
rapid spin... that would certainly give it a purpose. we can't give it a healing move if we do that because think about it: this thing is forretress and togekiss combined! we need a way to neuter this besides super effective moves. if we do this, drought/greenhouse won't seem AS broken. oh and thats another thing, greenhouse should be a drought/solar power combo. think of it: unlimited sun at the cost of 12.5% per turn. flavor-wise, this thing would be using up so much energy to keep the sun out that it would eventually die from it.

Sounds good to me. It could spin on it's tail, it's cannons, or that weird chest protrusion it has.

Not sure if I like the idea of a scrappy Rapid Spinner though. Would make things easier, but would also:
1) Remove all other Spinners from their jobs
2) Be so easy to remove hazards that they wouldn't be worth putting down.
I dont really see the problem with number 1 as those other Spinners are clearly not capable of doing their job... would it really be a shame to outclass our already sub-par spinners?

The only commonly used entry hazard is SR which is by far one of the most broken moves in the game. Making an easy way to remove them is the only way to balance it out. It takes two turns to remove the SR in most cases, and only one to set it up.

RS also makes Life Orb/Choice items almost non-viable (there goes our monsters LO unless you want to waste 10% spinning once), so that could help balance our creature out as it won't be a super powerful sweeper without a boosting item/move.

This would make a very poor rapid spinner since it is actually weak to stealth rock, taking 25% every switch in.

Y not just make it king of the sun and give it Chlorophyll? seriously, it would not be broken.
It would be broken if you actually read the other fucking posts and looked at the base stats... our thing is bulkier than Forretress, and has the same Sp.def bulkiness of Togekiss.... making it a deadly sweeper and that Bulky is really broken. Kingdra can't take a hit that well, this thing can. That is why we cant make it king of the sun.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Lol, first of all, a Scrappy Rapid Spinner would NOT throw anything into disarray. Since when was Stall the top strategy in OU?

Second of all, I don't agree that it would put all Rapid Spinners out of business. Even though this is Scrappy Rapid Spinning, it would still be 2* weak to Stealth Rock, and have normal issues with Toxic Spikes / Spikes. Forretress, Starmie and Tentacruel all keep their niche even with this. (as in, all aren't affected by Toxic Spikes)

You said yourself Dane, that the CaP server was cluttered with entry hazards...adding an ideal Rapid Spinner would help this cause, since adding Revenankh's ability for "perfect spin blocking" definitely spiked entry hazard usage.

Also, this post of latinoheat's just made me chuckle a bit:

ts purpose was to be a sunny day abuser, not yet another fucking bulky pokemon that could hit hard with great type coverage. That went out the window with the criteria that was required for the spreads.

I would like to see a concept thought out a bit more at earlier stages, the best CAP project was Revenanhk and thats because we all agreed on a new concept early and we stuck with it. With this we have been through about 3 different concepts and haven't really stuck with any of them. Now we are ending up with something that can't really pull off any of them and is turning into a clusterfuck of all different ideas without really being good at any of them.
Uhh, it's called the creative process, buddy?

Note that Rapid Spin does not make monster sweeper sets bad or anything. It just means you miss out on a Rapid Spinner, but then again using Rapid Spinner makes you miss out on a good sweeper. It's your choice, really.

You can switch it into Stealth Rockers. Jirachi, Celebi, Skarmory, Swampert, Hippowdon, they all run from it. Mespirit and Uxie might stay.

Taking 25% damage from Stealth Rock is also not an unforgivable sin. In fact, it helps balancing it all, because as noted a thousand times before, this thing is super durable at 100%.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)