CAP 3 CAP 3 - Part 9 (Main Ability Discussion)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thing just seems like it's going to be freakishly powerful no matter what we give it. X-act really has a point -- I'm not really sure what people want out of him anymore.

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Moltres and Charizard are probably the best 100 percent counters.
Which is why I suggested HP Rock. HP Rock also deals with Salamence and Dragonite who also resist Fire/Grass and Ground.

The only Pokemon I can think of that's a good counter to this thing is Tyranitar, especially if it gets Solar Power.

Solar Power is over looked, not to mention the HP deduction penalty every turn. Imagine Life Orb+Solar Power recoil, just switch to Heatran, Tentacruel etc and eventually Woodman will start to wear out. With 60 Base Spd I can see a lot of Pokemon outrunning this thing

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
HP Rock, Fire Blast, Grass Knot, Flare Blitz/Wood Hammer. Will probably be the standard sets.
I disagree the 4th move will normally be a recovery move (rest) or Sunny Day if it gets Solar Power or Bask/Cold Blooded.

I do not think this will be broken with Solar Power, the HP loss from it LO if you want any decent power, and SR would often be too much to endure for more then a few turns (22.25% a turn + 25% from SR + damage from the turn you need to set up Sunny Day and the attack you switch in on does not leave much), not to mention Tyranitar could switch in on a predicted fire move (Maybe even the odd Grass Knot with the Sp. Def boost and Solar Powers boost removed), deal 16.25% passive damage (SS+LO) and undo a turn of setup.
Even if all this passive damage does not KO the Pokemon it will destroy its bulkiness.

And as I have said before this thing is NOT balanced even though thats what we voted for as I have stated before using X-acts stat ratings I found it has the similar Defensive to Offensive rating to Skarmory, Mantine, Deoxys-D, Hippowdon, Bronzong, Magcargo, Giratina, Lugia, Tangrowth among others, is that really balanced?

Even with Solar Power in effect it is STILL biased toward Defense.

Which is why I suggested HP Rock. HP Rock also deals with Salamence and Dragonite who also resist Fire/Grass and Ground.

The only Pokemon I can think of that's a good counter to this thing is Tyranitar, especially if it gets Solar Power.
Heatran would probably make the best counter to this thing. Probably one of the biggest reasons it shouldn't get Earth Power too.

I know I'll be using Leech Seed/Grass Knot/Flamethrower/Rest as long as it doesn't get an overpowered sweeping ability.

I disagree the 4th move will normally be a recovery move (rest) or Sunny Day if it gets Solar Power or Bask/Cold Blooded.

I do not think this will be broken with Solar Power, the HP loss from it LO if you want any decent power, and SR would often be too much to endure for more then a few turns (22.25% a turn + 25% from SR + damage from the turn you need to set up Sunny Day and the attack you switch in on does not leave much), not to mention Tyranitar could switch in on a predicted fire move (Maybe even the odd Grass Knot with the Sp. Def boost and Solar Powers boost removed), deal 16.25% passive damage (SS+LO) and undo a turn of setup.

And as I have said before this thing is NOT balenced even though thats what we voted for as I have stated before using X-acts stat ratings I found it has the similar Defensive to Offensive rating to Skarmory, Mantine, Deoxys-D, Hippowdon, Bronzong, Magcargo, Giratina, Lugia, Tangrowth among others, is that really balanced?

Even with Solar Power in effect it is STILL biased toward Defense.

Ok, im fed up with it, i really am. I have watched all you Solar Power fans makes the most convient arguments ever. Who the fuck would ever use a Life Orb on a Pokemon already being recoiled from it's ability. That is the most dumbest thing i have ever heard. You guys are being situational and i'm tired of it. If you're going to try and justify your ability at least make a realistic argument. You act like Solar Power isn't broken on a bulky Pokemon, why? The only Pokemon to get it is Tropius and Sunflora >_>

Come on now, Tropius is already weak to Stealth Rock at that, just like Fire Grass, making him lose health from Solar Power, and even more from Life Orb? C'mon now. People will at least use Expert Belt or Grass Plate or something, not damn Life Orb. If anything most good battlers would use Leftovers to help from the recovery drop. You guys basically give this guy a free Growth, while being burned. Who really cares about 6.25 per turn when your knocking everything out left and right.

Also who would run rest on a 3 attack set. I understand he is a bulky sweeper, but shit, so is Garchomp and when do you ever see Garchomp use fucking Rest?

Lastly, about this Tyranitar being a counter thing, what on earth are you guys talking about. I can run Sunny Day if i want to, but i'm never running Solar Beam. Most the bulky waters Solar Beam hits will 2hko anyway, i'm using Grass Knot all the way. Doesn't have to worry about Tyranitar ruining anything. Allows me to have a 120 Base Power move vs Snorlax without having sun up and is a lot less situational.

eric the espeon

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
IMO a decent counter to this thing would be Tyranitar, it has the SS Sp. Def boost to carry it through GK and will LOL at fire attacks it outspeeds this and could do some serious damage with STAB CB SE Stone Edge.

Heatran would probably make the best counter to this thing. Probably one of the biggest reasons it shouldn't get Earth Power too.
Most of the standard sets will be like this

Set # 1
HP Rock/ HP Ground / HP Ice
Grass Knot
Fire Blast
Flare Blitz / Wood Hammer

Set # 2
Leech Seed
Flamethrower / Flare Blitz
Grass Knot
Substitute / Protect / Rest / Stun Spore /Will-O-Wisp

Set # 3
Sunny Day
Synthesis
Solar Beam / Grass Knot
Fire Blast

No Earth Power, HP Ground should be it's only option.

IMO a decent counter to this thing would be Tyranitar, it has the SS Sp. Def boost to carry it through GK and will LOL at fire attacks it outspeeds this and could do some serious damage with STAB CB SE Stone Edge.
a counter shouldn't be able to be 2hko'd. Tyranitar isn't even a safe switch in. Could get Grass Knotted, Will-o-Wisp or Stun Spored.

eric the espeon

Ok, im fed up with it, i really am. I have watched all you Solar Power fans makes the most convient arguments ever. Who the fuck would ever use a Life Orb on a Pokemon already being recoiled from it's ability. That is the most dumbest thing i have ever heard. You guys are being situational and i'm tired of it. If you're going to try and justify your ability at least make a realistic argument. You act like Solar Power isn't broken on a bulky Pokemon, why? The only Pokemon to get it is Tropius and Sunflora >_>
I can not say it is not broken for sure on a bulky Pokemon, however Solar Power will stop it from being too bulky. As to you "people will just not use LO" argument well the LO boost is almost as big as a Solar Power boost and does not require setting up, Specs is a better option than Solar Power without LO as it has the same boost with no setup. t

Come on now, Tropius is already weak to Stealth Rock at that, just like Fire Grass, making him lose health from Solar Power, and even more from Life Orb? C'mon now. People will at least use Expert Belt or Grass Plate or something, not damn Life Orb. If anything most good battlers would use Leftovers to help from the recovery drop. You guys basically give this guy a free Growth, while being burned. Who really cares about 6.25 per turn when your knocking everything out left and right.
The other items you could use are no where near as useful as LO, Expert Belt is not much use as nothing will stay in on SE attacks from this, Grass Plate only boosts one attack and not by much, Charcoal MAY be used to 2KO Blissey but think about it:

Player2 switched in Blissey
Fire/Grass used sunny day

Fire/Grass used Fire Blast over 50% damage
Bliss used T-Wave

Bliss used Softboiled
wait 'till FB misses or Para takes effect and stall out Solar Power damage

Also who would run rest on a 3 attack set. I understand he is a bulky sweeper, but shit, so is Garchomp and when do you ever see Garchomp use fucking Rest?
That was for a tank set not bulky sweeper, and Mekkah's set is better.

Lastly, about this Tyranitar being a counter thing, what on earth are you guys talking about. I can run Sunny Day if i want to, but i'm never running Solar Beam. Most the bulky waters Solar Beam hits will 2hko anyway, i'm using Grass Knot all the way. Doesn't have to worry about Tyranitar ruining anything. Allows me to have a 120 Base Power move vs Snorlax without having sun up and is a lot less situational.
I NEVER said Solar Beam, I said GK and a Tar with some HP investment will take GK's with not too much trouble.

eric the espeon

Most of the standard sets will be like this

Set # 1
HP Rock/ HP Ground / HP Ice
Grass Knot
Fire Blast
Flare Blitz / Wood Hammer
No Recovery, you can have all 3 HP's so something will still beat you

Set # 2
Leech Seed
Flamethrower / Flare Blitz
Grass Knot
Substitute / Protect / Rest / Stun Spore /Will-O-Wisp
Dont overdo the last slot, and I dont think Will-O-Wisp will be on this Pokemon.

Set # 3
Sunny Day
Synthesis
Solar Beam / Grass Knot
Fire Blast
No instant recovery so no Synthesis
No Earth Power, HP Ground should be it's only option.
a counter shouldn't be able to be 2hko'd. Tyranitar isn't even a safe switch in. Could get Grass Knotted, Will-o-Wisp or Stun Spored.
aarrg I said grass knot in my post please read what I say, anyway Stun Spore is pretty much a waste of a much needed moveslot, W-o-W should not be on this Pokemon. And i think you VASTLY underestemate Tars Sp. Def in a sandstorm, takeing a SE move from 95 base sp. attack is no problem, hell my Mewtwo did not KO one with Aura Sphere (it took about 70% if I rember correctly).

I can not say it is not broken for sure on a bulky Pokemon, however Solar Power will stop it from being too bulky. As to you "people will just not use LO" argument well the LO boost is almost as big as a Solar Power boost and does not require setting up, Specs is a better option than Solar Power without LO as it has the same boost with no setup. t

The other items you could use are no where near as useful as LO, Expert Belt is not much use as nothing will stay in on SE attacks from this, Grass Plate only boosts one attack and not by much, Charcoal MAY be used to 2KO Blissey but think about it:

Player2 switched in Blissey
Fire/Grass used sunny day

Fire/Grass used Fire Blast over 50% damage
Bliss used T-Wave

Bliss used Softboiled
wait 'till FB misses or Para takes effect and stall out Solar Power damage

That was for a tank set not bulky sweeper, and Mekkah's set is better.

I NEVER said Solar Beam, I said GK and a Tar with some HP investment will take GK's with not too much trouble.
Grass Knot and Solar Beam have the same Base Power on Tyranitar man. Anyway, Mekkah's tank set and my set aren't even in the same category. I'm sure you're trying to say his was better to infuriate me ( haha ) but comparing two sets that have two totally different purposes is just very ignorant. Also, who said Blissey is running Thunder Wave, wait fuck that, who said Blissey wasn't a safe switch in? So what does Blissey have to do with this? Also the other items used are just as effective as Life Orb, Life Orb may give me more power, which in turns makes it worth considering by the slightest. While other items help you stay alive long, and you won't have the bigger risk of killing your self.

aarrg I said grass knot in my post please read what I say, anyway Stun Spore is pretty much a waste of a much needed moveslot, W-o-W should not be on this Pokemon. And i think you VASTLY underestemate Tars Sp. Def in a sandstorm, takeing a SE move from 95 base sp. attack is no problem, hell my Mewtwo did not KO one with Aura Sphere (it took about 70% if I rember correctly).
Solar Beam and Grass Knot are both 2hko's fool.

90 x 4 = 360
180 x 2 = 360

They both have the same Base Power, so either way, Tyranitar will be 2hko'd

Also, as for the sets you tried to downgrade. You feel anything without a recovery move on this Pokemon is a fail. Also i didn't overload any last spot. All of them are viable options for the last move on the set. 8 PP instant recovery is just fine on this Pokemon. With Sythesis, you'll be running Sunny Day, which only in turn gives him 2 attack, which makes him less of a threat and lets his check down list because even greater.

eric the espeon

Grass Knot and Solar Beam have the same Base Power on Tyranitar man. Wrong, Sand makes Solar Beam 60 base power and take 3 turns. Anyway, Mekkah's tank set and my set aren't even in the same category. I'm sure you're trying to say his was better to infuriate me ( haha ) but comparing two sets that are two totally different purposes was just very ignorant. You sald yours would be the "Standard set" I recon Mekkahs will be, I think thats fair enough. Also, who said Blissey is running Thunder Wave, wait fuck that, who said Blissey wasn't a safe switch in? So what does Blissey have to do with this? X-Act made a good point about Charcoal letting this 2KO blissey under the sun with fire blast and Solar Power. Also the other items used are just as effective as Life Orb, Life Orb may give me more power, which in turns makes it worth considering by the slightest. While other items help you stay alive long, and you won't have the bigger risk of killing your self.
The other Items do not give you the power to KO the things you need to. An offensive set is better of running specs or LO then Solar power without LO, due to the fact that LO gives nearly as big a power boost does not require setting up and gives less recoil

Solar Beam and Grass Knot are both 2hko's fool.

90 x 4 = 360
180 x 2 = 360

They both have the same Base Power, so either way, Tyranitar will be 2hko'd
LOL, what damage calc told you that solar beam would 2ko Tar in the sand?

Also, as for the sets you tried to downgrade. You feel anything without a recovery move on this Pokemon is a fail. Also i didn't overload any last spot. All of them are viable options for the last move on the set.
sorry about some of my comments, but DONT try tell me what I feel.
5 options is not overloading it? surely you can narrow it down a bit.

8 PP instant recovery is just fine on this Pokemon. With Sythesis, you'll be running Sunny Day, which only in turn gives him 2 attack, which makes him less of a threat and lets his check down list because even greater.
Well if you want to argue for Synthesis on this poke you've gotta argue with X-Act and most of the rest of us.

The other Items do not give you the power to KO the things you need to. An offensive set is better of running specs or LO then Solar power without LO, due to the fact that LO gives nearly as big a power boost does not require setting up and gives less recoil
What?????

An offensive set is better of being able to last long, while still being effective. You're giving this thing Choice Specs, while being able to switch moves and lose 6.25 per turn. Get real man, if you're saying that, that isn't broken, you really must be in love with Solar Power that much.

Also back to the standard set. I still feel my offensive set will be the standard set being used. Of course Mekkah uses a defensive set, look at the BST he proposed and won with. If i were him, i would to. The Pokemon turned out EXACTLY how he wanted. A lot of people wanted an offensive set more than a defensive set in my eyes anyway. We will see whenever Leonin gets finished.

Anyone using Life Orb on a Solar Power set is just a moron. So you suggesting that either implies you're a moron, or you just thinking up anything so that the community can favor your broken ability for this Pokemon.

Rock Head
Battle Armour

Will probably be the chosen abilities anyway. So you can continue to make your bullshit justification if you please. My work here is done, all you're doing is repeating yourself.

eric the espeon

What?????

An offensive set is better of being able to last long, while still being effective. You're giving this thing Choice Specs, while being able to switch moves and lose 6.25 per turn. Get real man, if you're saying that, that isn't broken, you really must be in love with Solar Power that much.
NO I am suggesting giving this an ability that lets it have an equilivent of a +1 Sp. attack boost and lose 12.5% a turn after one turn of setup, there is a big difference.

Also back to the standard set. I still feel my offensive set will be the standard set being used. Of course Mekkah uses a defensive set, look at the BST he proposed and won with. If i were him, i would to. The Pokemon turned out EXACTLY how he wanted. A lot of people wanted an offensive set more than a defensive set in my eyes anyway. We will see whenever Leonin gets finished.
hmmm I dont see that there will be much use for Wood Hammer/Flare Blitz on something with 70 base attack.

Anyone using Life Orb on a Solar Power set is just a moron. So you suggesting that either implies you're a moron, or you just thinking up anything so that the community can favor your broken ability for this Pokemon.

Rock Head
Battle Armour

Will probably be the chosen abilities anyway. So you can continue to make your bullshit justification if you please. My work here is done, all you're doing is repeating yourself.
Dude cool it, ok?
I have given quite good reasons why I don't think Solar Power would be broken, you have insulted me to the point of flaming, ignored and misinterpreted my posts so please just cool it, you're not doing your reputation any good.

NO I am suggesting giving this an ability that lets it have an equilivent of a +1 Sp. attack boost and lose 12.5% a turn after one turn of setup, there is a big difference.

hmmm I dont see that there will be much use for Wood Hammer/Flare Blitz on something with 70 base attack.

Dude cool it, ok?
I have given quite good reasons why I don't think Solar Power would be broken, you have insulted me to the point of flaming, ignored and misinterpreted my posts so please just cool it, you're not doing your reputation any good.
Once you give a realistic justification, maybe i will cool it. Sure you made some points, your only good point was a convient argument about people using Life Orb on a Solar Power set. Also 120 Base Power moves can do some damage to something coming from 70 base attack, just ask Blissey, who will probably be 2hko'd.

woowowowow drama, chill out guys

Minimum SpA Woodman 3HKOs max HP Tyranitar with Grass Knot pretty much all the time.

eric the espeon

Once you give a realistic justification, maybe i will cool it. I think I have. Sure you made some points, your only good point was a convient argument about people using Life Orb on a Solar Power set. Have you read through my posts and understood why i would say that LO realy is the best option for Solar Power sets (aside from possibly Charcoal)?Also 120 Base Power moves can do some damage to something coming from 70 base attack, just ask Blissey, who will probably be 2hko'd.
but is it worth losing all healing? I think not.

woowowowow drama, chill out guys
lol, forgive our little flame war.

Minimum SpA Woodman 3HKOs max HP Tyranitar with Grass Knot pretty much all the time.
Hmmmm... it can switch in on fire attacks with ease but GK will do some damage, would it 2KO with max Sp. attack?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)