CAP 3 CAP 3 - Part 9 (Main Ability Discussion)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Code:
Type: Fire/Grass
Stat Spread:  120 HP / 70 Atk / 105 Def / 95 SpA / 90 SpD / 60 Speed
BST: 540
Pokemon Appearance: [URL="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b358/KnightOfLodis/woodman.png"]Woodman+BurnerMan+Lizardman bastard child[/URL]
If you're no stranger to the CAP project then I guess I don't have to explain what this thread is for, but if you're new then here's a summary. This thread is designed to help funnel discussions on it's main and/or secondary ability this creature might get. This thread is also here to discuss on if this monster is worthy of gaining a custom ability or not. Now for those whom don't know every pokemon ability that exist, here's a good place to look them up: Bulbapedia's list of abilites or Smogon's list of abilities. Both places are good for your ability resourcing needs. Please note that they are a few abilities that make sense on him but would make too powerful or make it too hard to counter. Remember, we're trying to balance it out so it won't be sent to Ubers for whatever reason. Please remember that.

As with all discussion there are going to be a few people that disagree with another suggestions and/or opinion and may reaction to it harshly. You disagree with anyone's suggestions/opinions made by your fellow forum members, please response to them in a civilized manner. There isn't any need for flame or violent, depending on how close you're next the poster you're fighting with.

Battle Armor: This Pokemon is encased in wood in order to protect it from attacks. You might call it his "Battle Armor". This ability prevents him from being dealt critical hits. Everyone knows tanks hate controlling the battle, only to have a random critical hit completely remove the control they had attained. The ability to remove luck in any form is always a boon to battlers.

Sniper: This Pokemon is sporting cannons on each hand. In addition, the weight of his armor grants him stability, and in combination with his low speed grants him time to aim for precision shots. The chance to turn a lucky shot into a killing blow is a great assistance for anyone who wants to rip through walls.

If given Sniper, we would likely want to create a custom move for it with a high critical hit ratio (like Night Slash, Blaze Kick, and Leaf Blade). Either fire or grass works, probably best to decide after seeing it's available moveset (I'd lean towards Grass due to fire having so many options as is).

I really want Rock Head. The Physical side will be all for naught if it can't get a hold of those awesome STAB 120 BPs.

I've also thought about Battle Armor, so I guess those would be my two picks.

I think Battle Armour is pretty much a given at this point. That's why I want to make a case for Anger Point. Where Battle Armour makes CH's impossible, which increases his defensive abilities, Anger Point raises his attack when hit with a CH. In a way, it's an opposite of Battle Armour and increases his attacking abilities. It also makes a mixed attacker set somewhat more viable. Not only that, but being some sort of warrior, I think Anger Point fits him. I could easily see him go berserk, when hurt badly in a fight, blasting his canons all over the place and spewing out fire from the back. The other three pokemon with Anger Point are Mankey, Primeape and Tauros and being the beast warrior, that he is, he fits in with them. So yeah, Anger Point seems like a pretty fine option to me. Not overpowering, but still useful on an attacking set.

If given Sniper, we would likely want to create a custom move for it with a high critical hit ratio (like Night Slash, Blaze Kick, and Leaf Blade). Either fire or grass works, probably best to decide after seeing it's available moveset (I'd lean towards Grass due to fire having so many options as is).
I'm not sure why people don't want to give it Leaf Blade. It could be an egg move from Sceptile and it would use the leaves on his tail.

Sunday

God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Battle Armour is pretty much given lol. Reckless would be cool, but perhaps not the best fit (I still think it fits enough to sugest it).

Frosty

=_=
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I am all for Battle Armor. Since I really doubt this pokemon will get defensive stat-ups, it should be more than enough to make it reliable and sturdy without breaking it, not to mention that it goes well with the sprite.

As for the secondary ability, I am not sure. I am 100% against sniper, since, IMO, it doesn't work well with the theme this pokemon has. I don't know...when I think on this fire/grass dude, I think on a reliable pokemon and sniper enhances the less predictable mechanic this game has. Even if you use scope lens, a crit-enhancer move and whatever else, you still won't get criticals often enough to rely on it to win your matches. I think Rock Head is a more fitting offensive ability. Even with its not-that-good attack stat, it can deal some serious damage with STABed 120BP moves with (and this is something very important) 100% accuracy, without taking the recoil damage that will surely lower its support capacities. Without Rock Head, I seriously doubt that this pokemon will ever see a non-gimmicky physical moveset, unless we go crazy and give it swords dance or some powerful ability like Huge Power or Flower Gift.

So yeah, Battle Armor and Rock Head are good options, IMO.

Offensive Ability:
Rock Head: Does not receive recoil damage from recoil-causing damage
The reason why i feel Rock Head is the most usable ability, that also goes along with appearance as well, is because it allows the usage of Power Whip and Flare Blitz on a Special Oriented set, to hit back Special Walls. Such as Flare Blitzing a Blissey and not losing a shit load of HP investment. The same goes for Power Whip versus a Snorlax. It makes the user of Leonin (Fire/Grass) have the option of making use of Leonin as a Mix-Sweeper. Making it a dual threat to follow up with such great STAB.

Honorable mentions:
Solor Power:
When Sunny Day is in effect, HP decreases but Special Attack increases
Limber:
Prevents paralysis.
Sand Viel:
Ups evasion in a sandstorm.

Defensive Ability:
Intimidate:
Lowers the foe's Attack.
This ability allows it to switch into some of the physical pokes it may have a chance to beat in a 1 on 1 situation. Skarmory, it makes Brave Bird not that big of a problem. Also helps vs Garchomp lacking Stone Edge, and Leonin maybe having Hidden Power [ Ice ] Same goes vs Dragonite. Leonin appearance looks very intimidating. He has a "i'm the king of the jungle" sort of look, and he doesn't mind letting the rest of the kingdom know.

Honorable mentions:

Flame Body: Burns the foe on contact.
Battle Armor: Blocks critical hits.

I'm not sure why people don't want to give it Leaf Blade. It could be an egg move from Sceptile and it would use the leaves on his tail.
You mean the one, flimsy leaf that looks about as blade-like as a napkin?

As for the secondary ability, I am not sure. I am 100% against sniper, since, IMO, it doesn't work well with the theme this pokemon has.
How is Sniper against the theme of a Pokemon with Cannons on his hands?

Lil Ant, Power Whip doesn't have recoil on it. It's Wood Hammer.

Huge Power is a big, big boost. With a +nature and max investment, we're giving our Pokemon 524 attack. That's higher than any other Pokemon in existence right now, including Deoxys-A, Rampardos, Groudon, etc.
Yes I know and that's frightening to say the least, but with a limited offensive movepool, it's not going to be a fucking huge threat. I'm having a hunch it wouldn't have Earthquake, Head Smash, Stone Edge, and other useful physical move to use Huge Power much. Despite suiciding against alot of stuff with two recoil moves isn't cool.

BTW, Huge Power Japanese's name when translated was "Power Charge". That sounds somewhat cannon relating.

Flash Fire, Drought, Battle Armor, Rock Head, Steadfast, qucik feet, Clorophyl, Solar Power are all options. (Drought would be broken though and might put this guy in Ubers...)

Everyone who's just listing abilities, you really should provide reasons for your choices. This is a discussion thread, not a list thread.

Bass

Brother in arms
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnus
Well, Battle Armor is obviously the most sensible choice since he is mainly a defensive tank. Rock Head is also the logical offensive choice, but I think a few abilities worth mentioning would be...

Chlorophyll is probably the most interesting offensive choice however since the speed boost adds a little viability to Wood Komodo Dragon's prospect of sweeping.

Heatproof is interesting as it prevents Heatran from completely countering him, though I personally think we should'nt use this ability because allowing Heatran to viably counter makes him a bit more balanced.

You mean the one, flimsy leaf that looks about as blade-like as a napkin?
Ah yes, because Grovyle, Leafeon, and Tropius have the sharpest leaves in the world. /sarcasm.

Seriously, if people are talking Leaf Storm, Vine Whip, and Aromatherapy, I don't think Leaf Blade is beyond the realm of possibility.

Also, I think Rock Head is our best choice for the secondary ability. It justifies a physical set without being on a kamikaze mission.

My top five(I like purty colors)
1.Solar Power-I wanted chlorophyll but is on a lot poke already.Solar power is probably a better fit plus less overpower than pyhll
2.Reckless-Would be gift to people who want it be a physical poke
3.Battle Armor-it fits the armor theme
4.Magma Armor-it fits the fire and armor theme
5.Sniper-It fits the Cannon on hands theme

Bonus
6.Blaze-It fits and means something else if it wins
7.Anger point

Not on this pokemon choices
Flash Fire-the trait on most fire pokemon
Drought-Three pokemon or Four pokemon will have to built to allow drought in normal metagame
Sand Veil-WTF
Chlorophyll-most common trait on grass pokemon

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I like the idea of Rock Head, because this doesn't have that high of an attack to begin with, and the only recoil moves are physical. This means that it would only get use on a BOAH set. The other trait should be Battle Armor, because of reasons already posted i.e. hax breaking a stall.

Yes I know and that's frightening to say the least, but with a limited offensive movepool, it's not going to be a fucking huge threat. I'm having a hunch it wouldn't have Earthquake, Head Smash, Stone Edge, and other useful physical move to use Huge Power much. Despite suiciding against alot of stuff with two recoil moves isn't cool.
ANY pokemon with 524 attack is a threat. Even with only the basic moves given to every pokemon, it'll still pack a punch with Return/Frustration, and Giga Impact may finally have a reason to exist.

I'm not really feeling Sniper on this guy, particularly because the "cannons" on the arms haven't been designated as cannons to my knowledge. When I look at the picture, I do see the possibility of cannons, but they could just as easily be some kind of covering over the fists, like boxing gloves made of wood. It's ambiguous, and Sniper seems pointless if there's nothing gun-like on the new pokemon.

A possibility I'd like to bring to the table is Dry Skin. I mean, come on: it's a lizard, not to mention a lizard that is part fire. Now, I know this wouldn't do wonders for the Woodman's defenses, but I figure that with the bulky stats, it wouldn't be a problem. Also Dry Skin would be a very flavorful ability, matching the flavorosity of Battle Armor.

Also Shed Skin, but two CaP pokemon with that ability in a row seems like too much.

A possibility I'd like to bring to the table is Dry Skin. I mean, come on: it's a lizard, not to mention a lizard that is part fire. Now, I know this wouldn't do wonders for the Woodman's defenses, but I figure that with the bulky stats, it wouldn't be a problem. Also Dry Skin would be a very flavorful ability, matching the flavorosity of Battle Armor.

I like Dry skin but it brings weird stuff.A fire type that is hurt by fire but immune to water.Weird but cool

I'm liking this, and hadn't thought of it before. Definitely helps fire Pokemon counter it too.

As for cannons, I thought that was established that they were, in fact, cannons? Hence the glow around them.

Btw Bass, love the Gin avatar.

Frosty

=_=
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
How is Sniper against the theme of a Pokemon with Cannons on his hands?
I don't know you, but I don't see snipers carrying around bazookas.

In a more serious approach, when I say "theme", I mean "sturdy pokemon whose biggest purpose is to give reliable support with the big movepool a fire/grass combination gives you", not "Lizard with cannons". We need to look for abilities that go well with the pokemon's purpose first and after that we may analyse the graphical aspects. In my humble and uninformed opinion, Sniper does not fit a support pokemon as much as you would want to and that is all I care about.

But that is me.

Everyone who's just listing abilities, you really should provide reasons for your choices. This is a discussion thread, not a list thread.
True that.

Battle Armor: Logical choice, I love this idea. He has armor and he battles.

Steadfast: Hmm, honestly I might actually go with inner focus considering this guys speed.
Annoying shit that you don't expect that might cost you the match #1 CH
#2 Flinch

Heatproof: He better partly be considering he's shooting fire out of wood.

Technician: He strikes me as a pokemon who would get something like this. Might open a few interesting options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)