CAP 2 Smogon "Create a Pokemon" Part Deux: Discussion 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I don't like having also the elemental punches on this guy, as I said in the pm, but I guess they can stay if people like them.

I'm neutral on Hypnosis; I don't mind whether it stays there or not. However, if it's removed (and its associated moves), they could be replaced by another move. Preferably a move that it already learns via TM or breeding, like Bulk Up or Ominous Wind.

I really think Bulk Up would be very broken. It would create something along the lines of Mismagius but with stabs on the unresisted combo, as well as a no Pursuit weakness. Nerf Bulk Up.

Sunday

God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Bulk up was pretty much the only reason we wanted this type combo and stat spread. Personally, I think the elemental punches could go either way, and I would like to se power whip but no Grass Knot and no Hypnosis.

X-Act

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I'd compare this thing's typing and stats more to Gallade's than to Mismagius'. This Ghost/Fighting thing's 90/90/110 defenses are much better than Gallade's 68/65/115. Poliwrath has 90/95/90 defenses, but its part-Water typing gives it more weaknesses, and its attack stat is only 85. Not to mention that it gets access to Moonlight.

So yes, Bulk Up on this thing does hover a bit on the broken side, especially if you decide to also give it all (or any of) the elemental punches as well, which idea, I reiterate, am against.

You're right, why does this thing need the elemental punches? Thank goodness Mummy doesn't get Stone Edge, but Rock Slide should be sufficient for dealing with Flyers.

Then again, the forearms and fists of this thing are pretty large in relation to the rest of its body. I feel that the movepool should reflect its natural ability to punch. Fire Punch brings up a flammability issue, but I have no problem with this having the other elemental punches. If Mummy does run one of them, you're not giving up Shadow Punch, right? You're not going to lose the Fighting STAB (which from my impression of the thread--not a personal count--looks to be Hammer Arm), right? You're probably going to give up Bulk Up or your form of recovery. That's what I would do, anyway.

As for Hypnosis, that's probably pushing it a bit IMO. Lose Hypnosis, Nightmare, and Dream Eater. We all know how much I want Force Palm to be an egg move here, so I would replace those three with Curse at Level 52. That way Curse doesn't have to be an egg move and room is made for Force Palm. Besides, there seem to be more Indeterminate egg moves than Humanshape egg moves. Those are the two egg groups that Mummy is going in, right?

What should the main Fighting STAB move be??
-
Close Combat (Let's rely on HP to help me tank, hayyy.)
-Cross Chop (KUNG-FU MUMMY)
-Dynamic Punch (ohnoez)
-Hammer Arm (Its main job isn't to outrun things, so why not.)
-Super Power (Hay guys, let's hope Gallade doesn't find out I'm lowering my defense.)
-Force Palm

Which, if any, of the Elemental Punches does this get??
-Fire Punch
-Ice Punch
-ThunderPunch (It's not like anyone is going to use them, unless you're scared of Xatu/Lugia, and I don't think you are.)

Does this get Recovery outside of Rest??
-Yes, move is Moonlight (fits better with a vengeful mummy than Morning Sun)
(I only voted this, because a lot of my favorite pokemon have Moonlight.)
-No

Does this get Will-o-Wisp??
-Yes (Let's throw Gallade out of the job, yay.)
-No

*NEW*
Does this get Hypnosis and associated moves?
-Yes
(Maybe if you didn't make it Hypnosis. Make it, like, Sing. IT COULD BE THE BRITNEY FRIGGEN SPEARS OF MUMMIES, or maybe it has a life-long ambition to sing. So, yeah. Plus, you have Hyper Voice and Roar there, why not Sing?)
-No

Yay~

-Hammer Arm

-Fire Punch

-Yes, move is Moonlight (fits better with a vengeful mummy than Morning Sun)

-Yes

-No

Bulk up was pretty much the only reason we wanted this type combo and stat spread. Personally, I think the elemental punches could go either way, and I would like to see power whip but not Grass Knot and no Hypnosis.
Pretty much what I was thinking.

You're right, why does this thing need the elemental punches? Thank goodness Mummy doesn't get Stone Edge, but Rock Slide should be sufficient for dealing with Flyers.
I think it's the Fighting typing that give people the belief it needs the elemental. Personally I can swing either way on the punches being on or off his movepool.

Fire Punch brings up a flammability issue
He isn't flammable since he's not made out of anything flammable to begin with...well begin on the fact he wasn't a person before it dead.

If Mummy does run one of them, you're not giving up Shadow Punch, right? You're not going to lose the Fighting STAB (which from my impression of the thread--not a personal count--looks to be Hammer Arm), right? You're probably going to give up Bulk Up or your form of recovery. That's what I would do, anyway.
That's pretty much what I would do too.

As for Hypnosis, that's probably pushing it a bit IMO. Lose Hypnosis, Nightmare, and Dream Eater. We all know how much I want Force Palm to be an egg move here, so I would replace those three with Curse at Level 52. That way Curse doesn't have to be an egg move and room is made for Force Palm. Besides, there seem to be more Indeterminate egg moves than Humanshape egg moves. Those are the two egg groups that Mummy is going in, right?
Pretty much as it's the only way it can learn Mach Punch through breeding.

-Hammer Arm

-None

-Moonlight/B]

-No

-Yes

Hammer Arm or Cross Chop is probably the best choice for the main Fighting STAB. Dynamic Punch sucks without No Guard, and Close Combat doesn't fit with the tankish goal.

Of the Elemental Punches, I could see it getting Thunder and Ice. Thunder can be explained by static electricity in the dry tomb, and Ice because it's a cold body. Fire just doesn't work. The Punches should be Egg moves if anything, assuming this thing becomes a HumanShape Pokemon.

Moonlight seems like a good choice. It gives this thing a choice between two good recovery options. Shed Skin Rest or Air Lock Moonlight.

Will-O-Wisp does seem like a fitting move for this Pokemon to get, though the issue of it comepletely overpassing Dusknoir is a bother.

I would say no to this thing getting Hypnosis. Glare is a useful enough status.

I'd compare this thing's typing and stats more to Gallade's than to Mismagius'. This Ghost/Fighting thing's 90/90/110 defenses are much better than Gallade's 68/65/115. Poliwrath has 90/95/90 defenses, but its part-Water typing gives it more weaknesses, and its attack stat is only 85. Not to mention that it gets access to Moonlight.

So yes, Bulk Up on this thing does hover a bit on the broken side, especially if you decide to also give it all (or any of) the elemental punches as well, which idea, I reiterate, am against.
Exactly. That's why I'm also against any recovery move except Rest. With Rest only, you have to be smarter in your Bulk Up usage, not having an instant recovery move to rely on.

Cooper, I lol'd -- That was great!

I disagree with your point, but I accept that Power Whip seems to have a lot of support going for it. It's not a point worth arguing any more. As a sort of middle ground, can we at least get rid of Giga Drain and Grass Knot? After all, if we are justifying it learning Power Whip for the same type of reason that Lickilicky learns it (eg. it has some sort of appendage it can whip with), then it should not learn Grass Knot or Giga Drain, as Lickilicky does not learn those, and there is no similar justification for them.

While we are at it, what about Wring Out -- that is a move I can certainly see it learning.

I disagree with your point, but I accept that Power Whip seems to have a lot of support going for it. It's not a point worth arguing any more. As a sort of middle ground, can we at least get rid of Giga Drain and Grass Knot? After all, if we are justifying it learning Power Whip for the same type of reason that Lickilicky learns it (eg. it has some sort of appendage it can whip with), then it should not learn Grass Knot or Giga Drain, as Lickilicky does not learn those, and there is no similar justification for them.

While we are at it, what about Wring Out -- that is a move I can certainly see it learning.
This seems like a valid median.

X-Act

Yeah, Wring Out looks very plausible. It could maybe replace Hypnosis and co. if it's agreed that Hypnosis shouldn't be learned by this guy.

-Hammer Arm

-Fire Punch
-ThunderPunch

Fire Punch is kinda a must, I can understand thunderpunch, but not ice punch.

-Yes, move is Moonlight

Yes

-No

*NEW*

-Yes

However I think yawn is more aproperate, and then a sort of physical sleep attack (with out recovery), something akin to sleep walking puppetry

-Close Combat
-Hammer Arm
Close Combat would not break it because of its low speed. If it's scarfed, it would be the classic Ghost switch-in. If it's not, its low speed and lowered defenses would greatly hinder its effectiveness.

-None
Fire Punch would mean burning bandages. Ice Punch would be cheap (kills stuff that goes "cheep cheep" and kills Dragons). Thunderpunch would still kill its flying counters.

-No

-No

*NEW*
-No. Maybe another support move, though, such as Mean Look or something.

There's no Giga Drain, at least that I remember writing. And since Grass Knot was only on there because I thought Power Whip meant Grass Knot was part of the movepool, I'm axing Grass Knot now.

Wring Out actually sounds like a very good replacement for Hypnosis. It makes much more thematic sense, being an extension of Wrap.

And for all the arguments about flammability and such, just assume it goes either way. That part really won't be decided until we make Pokedex entries, so lay off the "logic".

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
NO Hypnosis.

Do we want this thing to put it's counter to sleep on the switch? Thought not.

Replacing Hypnosis with Wring Out is actually pretty fair. And yes, get rid of Grass Knot.

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
Ok, so I'm just drawing up random sketches of this guy in action and am trying to come up with the pose ideas for his two sprites.

I'm having a bit of artists block though with his poses. What type of animation should he get and what actions will he do?

I'm hoping some suggestions can help me out of my slump here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)