Walrus Myzozoa's Walrus Redux: Humbug Ball (Won by Shubaka)

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Martin

Schindler’s list ost

Admitting to not having any other ideas for this cat, Martin chose an ost to try to get me to cry. The composition consists of a wailing violin line backed by ponderous horns. This is strong mood music but around 3 minutes there is some note in the melody I dislike, too major or consonant to fit with the rest 7.7/10

Myzozoa

Mynameisnothing

Giles corey-no one is ever going to want me

Interesting affect to start, but not much going on for me, it does make me feel very anxious fsr. it moves on a bit from moody music at around 5 mins and I like it a lot after that, but I probably wouldn’t listen to it again, the strings are a little too high pitched for an extended duration for me. I really like this composition, but wouldn’t listen to it again. 7.7

Myzozoa

4th

Knights

Chemical brothers-the pills wont help you now

The award for “Hot Take Title” for the entire walrus can safely be awarded to this track, well lets see whats going on...well theres easily the saddest lyrics so far. I appreciate the guitar’s affect, surprisingly thats probably the saddest part of the song, even with the lyrics. The variation on the track for the last half is really too upbeat, almost bittersweet and the sad affect from the beginning is lost. 7.9/10

Last edited:

Myzozoa

3rd

sun kil moon-carissa

A song abt a 15 yr old girl that gets pregnant and it gets sadder and sadder. fitting affect. Especially on the wind down. 8/10

Myzozoa

oh i forgot to reveal for soul fly and lord gaius
Lord g

I guess the beat is a little too boring for me, but the raps or even ‘spoken word’ portion (since it really isnt rapping) and the singing are strong. The last section of verse is the strongest, but overall this song’s messages are a little forgettable. 7.1/10

Soul fly

Damien rice-delicate

Ew, 5/10. I hate this song, have heard it many times on sound tracks.

Myzozoa

2nd Shub

Told you so-paramour

this is almost my fav song title for a sad song cat, like ‘oh im was so sad, that I was so right and you were so wrong’ lol. 8.2/10 this is a banger and I’d listen to it again

Myzozoa

in 1st

Alfons

Liso Germano-cancer of everything

Very PJ Harvey to start off, here we have a string quartet (??) and some really bad singing. Lyrics are v relatable to me and around the middle the bad singing starts to work. Lyrics are a good representation of a certain experience of depression, and in my reading the narrator or persona is in a context where, although they’re doing well enough that their life isn’t going to fall apart, in some sense they are too exhausted by their life to change it.

9/10 mostly for the lyrics, this was a difficult one to grade because I could see this as a 10 because it is an excellent composition that is very thoughtful and outstanding in defying conceptions of genre (i.e, is the vocalist always singing? Or does it go from singing to ‘spoken word’ if you will and back? and sometimes the song wanders the space in between singing and speaking like M.I.A … the string quartet + rock band are actually repeating a ‘looped beat’ from the middle until the end). On the other hand I think the ideas and aesthetics of this song make it more interesting than it is enjoyable or entertaining.

Myzozoa

in last w 6 big ones

Alfons

Annie-me plus one

A lot of bounce in this beat, too much for me. The vocals stay in such a high register and then go into speech or chanting at times, it just doesn’t do it for me. 6/10.

Myzozoa

next is snype

Snype

Candy-mandy moore

Bit obnoxious to begin. Pretty straight forward, but v sappy imo. Slightly creepy too, 6.8/10, def not a 6.9, ew.

Myzozoa

next tied on 7.3

martin
Martin

CUTIE HONEY FULL .swf

The vocals are fine, but the backgrounds a bit obnoxious for me and jarring to me when they sing in english for a second… 7.3/10

and

lectrys

Heart-barracuda

Ive def never heard this one before, good intro. She actually isnt a very good singer tho, and ive heard her live. It’s just too slow and plodding outside of the intro and choruses and lots of random synth that is just unnecessary. 7.3/10

Myzozoa

now on to 7.4 pts

Llamas

Grimes-rosa

Rosa - Grimes

Not much of an intro, but it’s nice once it gets going. Lyrics are hard to catch, but I like what I do hear. Bass never really goes anywhere, but it is strong enough. 7.4/10

Myzozoa

Dle-

Elephant gym

A song that is all about the ending 7.6/10 it almost cat fails for not having vocals

Elephant Gym - 春雨

Myzozoa

next 2 ppl tied on 8

Asek

Screaming Females - Empty Head
Killer intro, but kind of boring once the vocals start. The strength of the guitars really carries it, all the way through 8/10

and

Rodan

Fiona Apple - Sleep to Dream
A great submit for this host. 8/10. lyrics start really strong, but dont go anywhere. Instrumentals are good, there is one weak part after the intro.

Myzozoa

and another tie on 8.5 pts

Eren

Starts with the hot violin fire, this could be my bad romance?? And the lyrics just skip to asking ‘are you human’ right at the start. The rhythms and backings aren’t doing everything for me, neither are the vocals which veer repetitive. Finally we get something new hot lyrics. 10/10 for the new lyrics, which are fire… not a lot here tho is there? Hard to score this one, 8.5/10, it has all the parts, but doesnt make me want to listen to it a million times.

Goldfrapp-human

Myzozoa

and also on 8.5

Shubaka

paramore-i told you so

8.5 oops this was their r4 sub not r3/

MONDO GROSSO / ラビリンス
This would have gotten an 8.6 last round. So still would have come in 2nd still. Well composed and a pleasure to hear.

Myzozoa

Walrein

Metric-combat baby

Great lyrics to start out, but the singer sounds like she has a cold, something off w her, I usually approve of her singing. So we got a singer with a cold and some great lyrics, strong guitar lines too. 8.8/10

Myzozoa

next tied on 9 pts

Aladyyn

Blues pills- high classwoman

A challenger approaches, love the lyrics 9/10

and

lg

Pretend We're Dead by L7

Strong intro good melody. perfect lyrics and vocals, reminds of the breeders/pixies. Not quite a 10, but a 9/10,a bit repetitive, but this is correct.

Myzozoa

now the top 4

in 4th

Pdc

Janelle monae-cold war

This one’s got it all, the vocals and the beat, the guitar is really out of place when it shows up, and i dont need it. 9.1/10

Myzozoa

now a tie for 2nd

Tcr

Maybe-janis joplin

Ooh janis joplin. Idk how anyone is supposed to compete w this one, since no one can do wat she does with her voice. The outro isnt that gripping for me tho. 9.5

and

Soul fly

Hiatus Kaiyote - Nakamarra

Aye, all of this reminds me of amy winehouse, a perfect submit not quite gem as llamas r1 submit. 9.5/10

Myzozoa

in 1st

Mynameisnothing

St vincent-los ageless

A literal approach to this cat w st vincent being a ‘femme’ (i.e lesbian). a 10/10 exactly what i asked for per the la roux

until next time

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)