CAP 8 CAP 8 - Part 12a - Attacking Moves Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
except that luster purge can actually help with either sweeping or forcing switches. this is still completely ignoring the fact that both Luster Purge and Mist Ball are exclusive. why do people always want exclusive moves...

same goes for spacial rend and how it is semi-exclusive...

edit-dragon has precedent for having both flamethrower and surf (dragonite and garchomp) and fire blast and hydro pump (salamence), but there is no precedent on the electric for it.
How the exclusiveness or the precedent arguments can be of any matter? The Attacking move discussion should be based only on competitive arguments. If we feel the need to give CAP8 Judgement, we will give it even if it is Arceus exclusive move. The fact that move X is the signature move of a legendary Pokémon is completely pointless when it comes to movepool discussion

I feel that these moves should be on it(For Flavour reasons):

Tri Attack: Because it has Three Heads, obviously. Dugtrio, Dodrio, and Magneton all get it, so why not CAP8?

Gunk Shot: It's Japanese name is "Dust Shoot". Seeing how it has Shield Dust as one of its abilities, I think this move would be appropriate.

I agree with Hydro Pump, Surf, Outrage, Flamethrower, and Fire Blast. Many Dragons get these moves.
I disagree with Explosion and Selfdestruct. SD/Explosion doesn't really make much sense on it, IMO.

I feel that these moves should be on it:

Tri Attack: Because it has Three Heads, obviously. Dugtrio, Dodrio, and Magneton all get it, so why not CAP8?

Gunk Shot: It's Japanese name is "Dust Shoot". Seeing how it has Shield Dust as one of its abilities, I think this move would be appropriate.

I agree with Hydro Pump, Surf, Flamethrower, and Fire Blast.
I disagree with Explosion, Selfdestruct, Luster Purge, and Mist Ball.
The official art hasnt been chosen yet, besides, wanting Tri Attack for that reason is a bit,I dont know, fool, I mean, PorygonZ also has access to it. I dont see much utility with Gunk Shot, but, on everything else, I agree, specially in leaving out Luster Purge and Mist Ball

except that luster purge can actually help with either sweeping or forcing switches. this is still completely ignoring the fact that both Luster Purge and Mist Ball are exclusive. why do people always want exclusive moves...
Ok then, let's completely ignore the fact that we're ignoring the fact that they are exclusive. Just steer away for a bit...

Using a full slot for them is crazy, they may get one thinkin about a switch, but using a whole slot won't help especially when better choices may be checked in.

It's a good thing you pointed that out...

Ok, everyone. I admit I have my flavor ideas as well, but please let's wait until the final pools are being discussed. The post is getting to swamped flavor choices. And the final art piece has not even been decided yet!

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion

I agree with Hydro Pump, Surf, Outrage, Flamethrower, and Fire Blast. Many Dragons get these moves.
I disagree with Explosion and Selfdestruct. SD/Explosion doesn't really make much sense on it, IMO.
Ok hopefully this will be the last time that someone has to repeat this in this thread. Do not base movepool additions in this thread on flavor. These move suggestions are based on competitive viability. Not whether or not something "makes sense" on the Pokemon.

Ok hopefully this will be the last time that someone has to repeat this in this thread. Do not base movepool additions in this thread on flavor. These move suggestions are based on competitive viability. Not whether or not something "makes sense" on the Pokemon.
I thought that what the whole "Necessary" selection was about. Like Crunch because it has teeth and so on. Not because they are worth a damn competitively

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
No. Appearance means nothing on this. We could give a giant floating pair of lips Focus Punch of we really wanted to.

Everything suggested in this thread should be "worth a damn competitively".

I'm still hoping to move Focus Punch back up into the Controversial or Allowed list. Fact of the matter is that it's still not a very good option. At best you have Sub/Focus Punch/ Dragon Move/ Electric Move. Bronzong could wall this, and if you get of one of his STABs to put in a fire move other pokemon could come in. Get rid of Dragon, Latias comes in. Get rid of T-Bolt, Suicune/ Gyarado come in. Not to mention the total lack of a healing move.

I'm still hoping to move Focus Punch back up into the Controversial or Allowed list. Fact of the matter is that it's still not a very good option. At best you have Sub/Focus Punch/ Dragon Move/ Electric Move. Bronzong could wall this, and if you get of one of his STABs to put in a fire move other pokemon could come in. Get rid of Dragon, Latias comes in. Get rid of T-Bolt, Suicune/ Gyarado come in. Not to mention the total lack of a healing move.
Err... I don't think Bronzong will like taking Focus Punches and Thunderbolts - especially since, if it leaves home without Earthquake, good luck breaking subs with Gyro Ball. I can see a SubPunch set like the Tyraniboah model work effectively, albeit 60 base Atk is not the 95 Sp atk of Tyranitar, and the 112 Sp atk of CAP8 does not match that gigantic 134 Atk. Tyraniboah would still be better at such a job

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
Yes, focus punch based movesets can be countered by Ice punch dusknoir, revenakh, cresselia, and maybe rhyperior (barring surf).

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
PP issue is a huge concern for a wall like this, and besides all, it only have 10 more BP than Dragon Pulse (a 11% boost). Prove me this boost is somehow broken, otherwise I do not see the reason to declare it Unallowed this swiftly.
11% is a huge power difference. It goes from 135 after STAB to 150, and the high CH rate is just icing on the cake. 12.5% of the time Spacial Rend is going to outpower Draco Meteor, with none of DM's drawbacks (Spacial Rend even has more acc than DM).

Only Blissey is safe from a Spacial Rend Critical Hit. Anything Thunderbolt would 3HKO is taken down by Spacial Rend CH + Spacial Rend. This is compounded even further by Specs sets who basically get a free KO 12.5% of the time.

If Spacial Rend were just the Heat Wave to DP's "Flamethrower" I could maybe see it, but the High CH Rate makes it too much.

Spacial Rend has Base 100 power, while Dragon Pulse has 90. Spacial Rend has 95% Accuracy as well as high CH ratio, whereas Dragon Pulse has perfect accuracy. Draco Meteor has 90% accuracy but base 140 power and the stat drop. Competetively, Spacial Rend looks like a mid-party alternative between the two extremes to me. I also find that the "legendary signature move" part is a borderline flavour argument. I support that it stay allowed.

I also support Mist Ball as being allowed. People wouldn't be using it for the power, but for the chance of crippling CAP 8's special counters. It does score SE hits on Rev and Fidgit, as well as Arghonaut, but the latter is still hit harder by STAB T-bolt. So it doesn't add much coverage-wise as well as taking up a moveslot. It becomes a matter of choice for the user.

Selfdestruct and Explosion for Unallowed. They are too versatile in terms of countering counters.

I think that Focus Punch and Superpower should be moved to Controversial. One move is a TM and the other a Tutor move, so it won't hurt the movepool too much, and their viability is already subject to debate. I personally see their potential usefulness, and would like to see a vote take place.
True, Spacial Rend isn't much more powerful, but with 15 extra BP(with STAB included), it could potentially change the game, but moreso, what's the point? Do you just want to make CAP8 more powerful in useless ways or actually add useful moves to the movepool. The movepool is limited, and as a legendary-exclusive move I don't see why we need to put it on this CAP. Also, same with Mist Ball, but not for the power reasons. Why do people keep wanting to add exclusive moves. They should just make a ban on exclusive moves, they're exclusive for a reason and certain Pokemon should be allowed to keep their special moves. What if one day something like Blissey, Vappy or Swampert got Water Spout or Eruption? They would all get a large boost in power, and the fact is they already have enough. If you want, make Psychic allowed since it's a very common special move, but no exclusives, please.

Focus Punch should be controversial, but Superpower unallowed, as it will likely OHKO(I haven't ran the calcs) TTar, one of it's major counters and there isn't a reason why CAP8 should have it.

Stop with the flavor and art arguments. It has never mattered for any CAP, and will never matter now, just get over it. It doesn't matter if CAP8 is a gigantic three headed cloud or a tiny worm. It'll still get the same moves, stats, everything.

All Fire/Water moves should be allowed. Fire only hits steels, and they will wall CAP8's annoyingly if CAP8 doesn't get them, besides Scizor/Foretress/Metagross/Lucario, nothing really worthwhile is KO'd, and it gives CAP8 a better chance vs. Celebi. Water hits the pesky Grounds that will otherwise bash CAP8 all over the place, and isn't going to be an OHKO move on all but the most fragile of grounds(Dugtrio maybe) and gives CAP8 good coverage.

Really, it comes to this. Do you want a ridiculously easy to wall CAP8 who relies solely on it's STAB moves, or do you want a versatile CAP8 who has options with it's 1-2 coverage moves which can fight back to it's counters. Unless CAP8 gets Focus Blast/Aura Sphere, which is extremely unlikely and it shouldn't get Superpower, then things like TTar, Blissey and Snorlax will easily be a hard counter to CAP8 regardless, and there a lot of checks and revenge killers against CAP8, so i don't think we need to make CAP8 any weaker by giving it only one coverage move option. If CAP8 gets Calm Mind or another stat up move, a lot of sets will use it apart from the Choice sets and limit the coverage moves to only one, which will usually be a choice between Fire, Water or maybe Focus Punch, and will make people think twice before switching to any ground or steel type they have in their team. Giving CAP8 a reasonable amount of options rather then just limiting it to Surf or Fire Blast is unreasonable and will eventually make CAP8 a weak threat.

ok, worst case scenario in terms of counters. If this guy has dragon, fire, water, electric, and fighting moves, whats going to stop him?

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
ok, worst case scenario in terms of counters. If this guy has dragon, fire, water, electric, and fighting moves, whats going to stop him?
fighting moves are pretty much banned. At that cresselia, revenakh, tyrantar, blissey and snorlax do well.

fighting moves are pretty much banned. At that cresselia, revenakh, tyrantar, blissey and snorlax do well.
Ok so even then, the only thing that could ever in theory stop this guy is another wall. CAP8 could switch in on nearly every sweeper safely and have the potential to hit hard. What is wrong with this picture...

Ok so even then, the only thing that could ever in theory stop this guy is another wall. CAP8 could switch in on nearly every sweeper safely and have the potential to hit hard. What is wrong with this picture...
Swampert can switch on nearly every sweeper and it hits pretty hard. The best way to beat it IS to Toxi-stall it, or Breloom/Celebi. Swampert is far from overpowering.

In other news-
Mist Ball is rather pointless. It has terrible coverage, low BP and a passable effect. Seeing as it is rather useless, and extremely exclusive, I would support it to be moved to Unallowed. If you wanted a third attacking move, use something better.
Tri-Attack-Its cool, decent, move, but would serve little purpose unless we stuck this guy with Magnezone's movepool. I don't see any reason why this shouldnt be allowed.
Selfdestruct and Explosion-Don't give these to CAP8. People love using them, just because they're there. Unallowed, please.

Hydrolphin, just because something is bad doesn't mean its unallowed, it just means it won't be used. This isn't a flavour argument just a point: If Cyzir's design wins, Tri-Attack would make sense, and people would include it, but wouldn't use it. Theres no reason to say "Hey, you can't put that on this Pokemon!!!" just because it's "bad." Same goes for Mist Ball. We are saying we CAN use it, not that we WILL use it. No need to hinder movepool-makers decisions.

If you're playing non-competitive arguments for allowing Mist Ball/Luster Purge and Tri Attack, then stop. Tri Attack makes no sense for the Pokemon and is also useless competitively, and Mist Ball/Luster Purge are also useless and exclusive moves, meaning that they shouldn't be handed out like commonplace moves. Same goes for Spacial Rend, but Spacial Rend is also too cheap for CAP8 since Dragon Pulse is already there, why give it an OP STAB move just to hand out useful moves.

If this gets Fire/Water moves and Focus Punch, it's still pretty easy to counter. Any ground type can switch in on a TBolt and OHKO, same goes for things like ScarfTran. TTar will destroy CAP8 unless it's using Focus Punch, which a lot of people will likely not use. If CAP8 gets stat-boosting move, it will be widely used, meaning that CAP8 would have to restricted to one coverage move. As long as you know which coverage moves it's using, it's pretty easy to counter.

Hydrolphin, just because something is bad doesn't mean its unallowed, it just means it won't be used. This isn't a flavour argument just a point: If Cyzir's design wins, Tri-Attack would make sense, and people would include it, but wouldn't use it. Theres no reason to say "Hey, you can't put that on this Pokemon!!!" just because it's "bad." Same goes for Mist Ball. We are saying we CAN use it, not that we WILL use it. No need to hinder movepool-makers decisions.
But there's no need to make everthing that pops into someone's mind allowed. That just makes for a confusining mess of choices. There is no reason to put a move on a pokemon, just because someone mentions it in this thread. It is useless on this pokemon because:
1. It offers no new coverage.
2. It is outclassed by Psychic.
3. It has lame BP+no STAB.

It is obviously non-competetive, therefore it is purely flavorful. If we put it on allowed, someone WILL put it on their movepool, and then they won't have room for something more useful. It just is extreneous, and if no one is goin to use it... WHY BOTHER!

Is Tri Attack on this thing even Competitive? Well if it isn't it would make a nice 'flavor' addition to the movepool when it comes time to make the movepool.

And I am still hoping that Focus Punch can at least edge its way up to controversial!

Is Tri Attack on this thing even Competitive? Well if it isn't it would make a nice 'flavor' addition to the movepool when it comes time to make the movepool.

And I am still hoping that Focus Punch can at least edge its way up to controversial!
Tri-Attack is only competitive when STABbed and Adaptability boosted, like on PorygonZ

I was thinking that was the case(though I wasn't 100% sure). As such I was kinda confused as to why it keeps getting brought up. If it isn't competitive it can used as movepool filler regardless, yes?

Also I am for moving Spacial Rend to Unallowed or at least Controversial as in accordance with Deck Knight's reasoning(perhaps I should have just said I agree with DK on Spacial rend).

Bug Buzz could be useful to stop Tyranitar, Cresselia or Celebi from switching in safely, but would likely only be used as filler on a Specs set. A Bug Buzz coming from Cartoons!'s art would be ridiculous, but then again flavor doesn't matter. I also support Focus Punch for Controversial status.

Focus Punch should be controversial, but Superpower unallowed, as it will likely OHKO(I haven't ran the calcs) TTar, one of it's major counters and there isn't a reason why CAP8 should have it.
If Superpower actually does OHKO TTar, then sure as hell Focus Punch will.

I'm not sure about Mist Ball, Luster Purge and Spacial Rend as they seem too legendary specific. Then again Smeargle gets all three of them through Sketch, so idk.

Really, it's all up in the air as far as offense goes. I'd rather wait till the defensive move discussion comes up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)