CAP 4 CAP 4 - Art Submission Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It has spikes on it's back, they're just hidden behind the arm shield, I'll take the fangs and such into consideration though, thanks ;)

I had originally planned to make it some big bulky beast, but then I heard people wanting speed and cuteness, so I had something in mind, then I remembered the bulkyness, and added the arm shields, then I remembered toxic spikes and added the spikes, and it ended up completely different then I'd planned ._.

Heh, it's pretty cute xP
I do agree with Tennis, though, that it looks like a prevo.
Maybe make it more lean and raptor like for an evolution?

My conceptual idea: Base it on an EQ2 Basilisk. Here's a reference shot:

It's a crappy picture, but basically it fits either ground (being low to the ground) or dragon (being reptilian) as well as poison, as it is spiky. The dark areas on the face are basically purplish bruise discoloration around the eyes, which makes for a somewhat sinister look. It could easily get a useful support ability such as Intimidate, or even thick fat to cover up the inevitable ice weak.

That would be cool, but a spider wouldn't have the defenses we need for a utility pokemon.
Actually, given any base concept we can probably justify any kind of stats however we like. Drapion is a reasonably bulky pokemon, and it's a scorpion. Metagross is a Spider, and its defenses are pretty nice.

Also, with a spider, we still have access to the elemental punches as well as the fangs if we deny it Flamethrower etc.

Took your suggestion and drew a somewhat bulkraptor, can't scan it yet though... I'll probably end up taking features from both to make something, as I liked the one I already submitted more, but this one probably fits the criteria better =/

UberMunch, pretty damn good art skills, very nice concept. Atyroki, the concept is amazing. I like it if dragon wins. though i hope it doesn't.

btw my sig has a lazy concept i sketched up for poison ground, did it even before the current poll and didn't put much work into it, but its something.

Oshit, I remembered, we want this thing to have Spin don't we? Making it a raptor might make that... really wierd, with the thing I have ATM it could clamp it's shell and then spin, but a raptor...

Yeah I really like the spiked shield idea. I actually was gonna do that myself, but then i realized, crap, if i draw that, it's gonna look like doodoo. So good job :D

I'll be posting some preliminary sketches as soon as I can get my scanner to work... that should be either in a few hours or tomorrow.

Good job Atyroki on your shield raptor guy. It would be really good if Dragon won although, like others, I reallyreally hope it doesn't.

Tip to other artists: if you're struggling with concepts and ideas of animals/creatures that have ties to Poison and Ground don't help, it doesn't HAVE to be tied to something that normally is connected to either type in reality.
My concept is based on two things that would normally have nothing to do with Poison OR Ground but I added things and changed colours to make it work. (:

EDIT: Have we talked very much about our "Gallery" for art submissions? We've already got lots of nice designs here, and due to typing, only about half could possibly win. Hopefully we can get this started this CAP so we can keep them?

I've got a few concepts, but I'm going to post them later (when I can get around to drawing them). Pretty good stuff so far though.

It works!
I scanned this recently.
I posted this same Pokemon standing up earlier in the thread.
I have to edit this picture to make it more presentable.
And finish it of course.
I realize now that texturing it wasn't the best idea, as Nintendo's art usually adds little "spikies" if they want to show fur's texture or something.
I also posted a description of this thing earlier.
What do you think?

If anyone would like to edit mine to improve it, then by all means do so.
I'm bad at editing on the computer, and I have to recolor and such.
Remember those shield things have a rocky texture.

I think my biggest qualm with all the spider, worm, and scorpion ideas is that they all strike me as more poison/bug than poison/not-bug. :\

Assuming ground wins over dragon, I've got an idea in my head so... ~crosses fingers~ >_>

Atlas

I'm the Mary!
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
i whipped this idea up. this can be for either ground or dragon.

i probably didnt draw them well enough, but those are small wings on his tail. i also wasnt inspired by color so his body is pretty plain.

Atyroki's drawing is rather adorable and cute.

However, I think I'd have to go with the person who mentioned the Mongolian DeathWorm if it turns out to be Poison/Ground. A Sandworm that's dripping with poisonous goo would just look totally awesome. Not to mention it would be believable for it to be fast and deadly, and possibly well armoured if it had plates...

But that's just my thoughts on it.

OK, here's that sketch I was talking about before. I know the quality and everything is terrible, I'll fix that later ( crash learning how to use complex image-editing programs will be lots of fun ). It'll look way better coloured, especially the so-called "poisonous mist" it has on its head.

I think this guy just screams "I want to screw with your team".

Based on the Oho Jees from Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga with a little bit of a Japanese Oni that slipped in somehow by accident.
It can definately spin ( here's a Youtube vid depicting a battle with an Oho Jee, which spins for a second right at the beginning ), and you'd know if you ever attacked one that they start spinning like crazy at you.

So then I added maniacal qualities to give it the "oddball" feel that would correspond with a ridiculous support movepool. He's chubby if anyone wants Thick Fat. And he can be fast, too!

So, what do you guys think?

P.S. I can make its head spiky if people really want Spikes/TS.

This is my first concept art for the Poison/Dragon. I actually started making this during the beginning of the second poll and was actually going to wait until an actual winner was decided between Ground and Dragon before posting it but since the Art thread was already posted i decided, why not post the pic to see what everyone thinks of it thus far.

I pretty much based the design off of a snake with the bright purples along with the green in the mouth to show it's poisonous attributes while the pale colour brings about a somewhat mystic feeling to it in my opnion as you don't really see much poison pokemon with such a coulour and i thought it could help stand amongst them and that monotonous purple base colour that all of them seem to have.

My only problem is that I think it may look too offensive for a (full)utility pokemon but then again pokemon like Salamence, Metagross and Drapion can function pretty well in terms of utility and they don't exactly have a passive or overbearing defensive look to them =/.

Anyway comments would be greatly appreciated and i hope you guys like it.

IggyBot

!battle
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
As I told you 5 or 6 times on MSN Maniac, that concept is too badass for a "pure utility" pokemon in my opinion. Would've been great for that Electric/Dragon offensive pokemon I've been fantasizing about, but oh well. I really do need to get involved here.

Blue Kirby

Never back down.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
I'm blown away by that, Maniac. Everything right down to the pose is striking.

When you look at Pokemon like Palkia setting up Trick Room, or Drapion using Toxic Spikes, I really wouldn't find a utility Pokemon that looked like that so unbelievable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)