CAP 4 CAP 4 - Ability Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
so, dane, what would you suggest i do? the ability isnt constant... being 40% would help, maybe? since it isnt a constant like brightpowder and sandveil, i don't think it would get as much complaints.

Vital Spirit seems silly. This thing is boinky, not, like … vital. Vital, is, like, vital. C'mon. It's, like, indomitable. Since when does something with eight hands and a big smile take anything seriously?

Vital Spirit goes against the non-badassery-but-still-awesomeness of this Pokémon.

Also, Dane, you forgot Technician, which makes a lot of flavorful sense.

I'm all for the secondary ability to be Hustle, or Klutz, or Quick Feet, even … something that will allow for some off-kilter set, a la Togekiss's Hustle.

Hmmm, I wonder, would simple increase the boost from tailwind on ALL teammates, or just this guy?

Though he's not very simple .-.

People complain about Sand Veil : 20%
People complain about Bright Powder : 10%

So basically, anything at or more than 10% will get complaints due to luck. Honestly, luck based moves and abilities aren't things that most see as competitively viable.

Unaware doesn't affect speed.
Whoops, thats what I get for not looking at the fine print. Though if it can survie the speed pokemon, Trick Room is still evil.

Fickle Fingers

Whenever this Pokemon directly attacks an opponent, it has a 20% chance of stealing its item.

Extremely flavorful. Interesting. Not broken because you have to give up using an item of your own. 20% could be 30% and it would still be okay.

Needs some opinion on a few ability ideas that been floating in my mind. Not suggesting any, just wondering if any if at all are broken and how so. Some might fit our current creature.

1) An auto version of Knock-Off. It would involve it using a contact move to activate the effect.

2) An ability that allow multi-hitting similar to 2x-Cut/4x-Cut. Attack power could be cut in halve or PP consumption increased but it would allow a Pokemon to strike more than once a turn.

There are a lot of good abilities that can fit, but I'd be really happy if it ended up having Insomnia/Vital Spirit and Persistent. Both would complement really well, I think, and would be really useful without being broken.

Vital Spirit seems silly. This thing is boinky, not, like … vital. Vital, is, like, vital. C'mon. It's, like, indomitable. Since when does something with eight hands and a big smile take anything seriously?

2.having remarkable energy, liveliness, or force of personality

It's vital. If you're going to nitpick. At least do it correctly.

LonelyNess

Makin' PK Love
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Persistent doesn't sound like what it actually does!?!?

Must I bring the dictionary out AGAIN!?

As defined by Merriam Webster

Persistent- Lasting for an unusually long time or continuous....

HOW DOES THIS NOT FIT PERFECTLY!?!?!?

We were talking about this in the CAP server last night, and it's already going to be difficult putting as many competetive moves as we want in its movepool... I don't think we want to add to the trouble by putting Switcheroo and Trick on the to-do list as well...

Let's leave Klutz Tricking to Lopunny, shall we?

@Gothic

I like the sound of that first ability, I would make it so that any contact move had the added affect of Knock Off. Something like this would be the description.

Contact moves used by this Pokemon remove the items of Pokemon without the abilities Sticky Hold/Multitype (I think that gets sticky hold properties).

Knock Off I would definately consider to be Utility.

Your second ability doesn't seem to be all that broken, but it doesn't seem to have much feel for utility... which kind of defeats the point.

I'm really loving Persistent and Vital Spirit for this pokemon.

Also, to the nay-sayers for Vital Spirit, allow me to direct you to this definition of Vital, as provided once again by Merriam Webster

Vital- 4 a: fundamentally concerned with or affecting life or living beings

Such as... a "Vital" member of the team, which a UTILITY pokemon is.

Vital doesn't just mean energetic, we CAN use other definitions.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Anyway, if Persistant is there, why not Unaware. It doesn't technically get rid of status changes, but it does prevent you from switching this in on DDMence only to be slaughtered before you can Haze. No other ability will afford this that luxury, and in the meantime, any of its non-screen stat-boosts become pointless.
I mentioned that on the first post on the first page but it was deleted because of large pictures trying to explain it. It fits because of the whole "See no evil, Hear no evil, Speak no evil" thing. In the same vein, Soundproof could work.

Vital Spirit's Japanese name was "Willingness", so I think its flavour is supposed to be similar to Hustle's ( which helps explain why Delibird gets it ). I think a lot of these "that makes no sense" exceptions are larely due to translation problems.

Earlier in the thread there was an idea going that Early Bird would be a more "moderate" form of Vital Spirit so it can still have that "mediocre ability" some people want.
I'm not so sure it's that mediocre anymore due to the ShedRest strategy, and also because an auto-heal move takes up a moveslot on a Pokemon that will be starved for them as it is, but I just wanted to bring it up again and see what battlers more experienced than myself would think about it, as I believe it is being overlooked.

Idea name for Persistent: Multitask??

LonelyNess

Makin' PK Love
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Why do people keep wanting to change the name of Persistent!?

It says exactly what it does... It couldn't be a more perfect name.

Stop trying to change it!!!

1) An auto version of Knock-Off. It would involve it using a contact move to activate the effect.

How about when it uses "slap" attacks (Doubleslap, Wake-up Slap, Smelling Salt...what else?) it can use the auto version of Knock-Off?

I like the "Sticky Fingers" idea. Klutz looks good too.

Klutz can almost play off of it has so many hands it forgot which one is holding it's item.

The only problem I see with Vital Spirit (and someone touched on this) is that it'll give it too many immunities to status effects. It is already immune to Poison/Toxic status...only Force Palm, Stun Spore, and Tri-Attack (am I forgetting any?) can Paralyze it. Do we really want it to be immune to Sleep/Yawn? I would support Vital Spirit if we knew this would have access to Skill Swap...though that makes it more of an Annoyer than Utility, but who knows?

Am I the only one who finds persistent broken? Those moves have limited durations for a reason. I'd prefer to not have this thing have an ability that would require extensive testing as to weather or not it breaks the game. Frisk, Poison Point, Klutz, Tangled Feat, and Technician seem good to me.

Am I the only one who finds persistent broken? Those moves have limited durations for a reason. I'd prefer to not have this thing have an ability that would require extensive testing as to weather or not it breaks the game. Frisk, Poison Point, Klutz, Tangled Feat, and Technician seem good to me.
I gotta agree with u... for me, Persistent is way too broken.. Tail Wind for 5 rounds.. wth.. Trick Room will last way too long.. I know this moves arent used often but thats not a reason to make them rigged ._.

I don't find the newly made up ability persistent as broken as some it seems. Remember this, it takes a turn to use the move then another to switch. The Pokemon that the move Tailwind was intended for will only have one turn left by the time it gets out there and our utility Poke won't have the stats to really take advantage of the speed boost. As for the five turn moves, they're rather difficult to use though not impossible and this ability will give plenty of time for slow Pokemon to do their jobs.

Remember, this Poke has some crippling weaknesses. So long as you're careful you can guard yourself against being set up on. Still we have no way to gauge how effective this actually is unless it's tested but come on guys, it's nothing like what you put on Scylant.

tennisace

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Now that I've been thinking about Persistant...

1st Turn: Gravity
2nd Turn: Tailwind, Gravity has 7 turns left.
3rd Turn: Send out Marowak T:5 G:6
4th Turn on: Proceed to rape.

Now that I've been thinking about Persistant...

1st Turn: Gravity
2nd Turn: Tailwind, Gravity has 7 turns left.
3rd Turn: Send out Marowak T:5 G:6
4th Turn on: Proceed to rape.
Wasn't it only a +2 boost for each move? It should look like this:

1st Turn: Gravity ( G:7 )
2nd Turn: Tailwind ( T:5 G:6 )
3rd Turn: Send out Marowak ( T:4 G:5 )
4th Turn on: Rapey ( T:3 G:4 )

Although Trick Room would probably work better with Marowak than Tail Wind. On second thought, I am now worried about how broken this may be...

tennisace

Does gravity start the turn you set up or the turn after? Still you have 3 full turns in which to kill a crapload of things.

Actually now that you mention it, I'm not so sure. I've used a TR team and I'm pretty sure the effects started on the turn the move was used, and I remember from Stadium that Perish Song's countdown starts on the same turn you use the move, also Tail Wind includes the usage turn into the countdown. So I'm pretty sure all other "field" moves ( Gravity included ) would work that way.

Trick Room over Tail Wind would bring those three turns of rapage up to four turns, though, so I'm really worried now. I hate to be a doomsayer but this could turn out to be like Auto-Rain all over again. Maybe we shouldn't give it TR OR Tail Wind...? Neither of them fit very well flavour-wise anyways.

Wasn't it only a +2 boost for each move? It should look like this:

1st Turn: Gravity ( G:7 )
2nd Turn: Tailwind ( T:5 G:6 )
3rd Turn: Send out Marowak ( T:4 G:5 )
4th Turn on: Rapey ( T:3 G:4 )

Although Trick Room would probably work better with Marowak than Tail Wind. On second thought, I am now worried about how broken this may be...

1st Turn: Sends out Ninjask. Use Protect/Swords Dance.
2nd Turn: Protect/Swords Dance.
3rd Turn: Baton Pass to Marowak.
4th Turn: Rapey

Ya i don't see how that example proves that Persistent is broken. If anything it is inferior to the regular Baton Passing with Ninjask. Regardless both will meet up with a counter/phaser on turn 2 anyways nullifying the entire strategy.

tennisace

Gravity+Tailwind is better because you can viably use CB Earthquake because it will hit everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)