CAP 4 CAP 4 - Ability Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
What the hell...this project has already gone down the pooper, so give it a godly ability, doesn't make that much of a difference anymore. We all know Cartoons is going to win, and we'll be stuck with some weird daddy long legs thing that can barely stand up.

Hell...since we wont an ability that is useful, why don't you give it Wonderguard? Yah...thats a good ability. -_-

Seriously people! It doesn't need an uber ability!!! Frisk is beneficial but not broken.

If you don't have anything to contribute that hasn't been said, just stay out of the discussion.

If cartoons! wins, it's because it is the most popular design, meaning other people like it EVEN IF YOU DON'T. Maybe they don't have bad taste, maybe you do. Everything so far has been voted on by members, meaning whatever won did so because it was popular. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, in a way.

Persistent is NOT a broken ability, I think that this is more or less understood by most people. However, some people don't like the flavor of the ability, or what it stands for or means.
This pokemon on the whole has good resistances, but glaring weaknesses, so the only true controversial thing is the high BST but even that means nothing if you look at a pokemon like arcanine.

I don't believe that persistant is a good name for the ability that lonelyness wants to implement, and I cannot feasibly find a way that this pokemon would be able to create better barriers than other things, such as mr. mime. My opinion is mainly flavor based, because this would be a nice ability if it had an actual explanation for why it was so much better than every other pokemon.

So anyways, if you don't like how the create-a-pokemon project is going, you have two options.

1. Contribute actual discussion to how to "fix" the pokemon, maybe give us a good idea for an ability or something instead of just bitching.
2. Get out.

If you don't have anything to contribute that hasn't been said, just stay out of the discussion.

If cartoons! wins, it's because it is the most popular design, meaning other people like it EVEN IF YOU DON'T. Maybe they don't have bad taste, maybe you do. Everything so far has been voted on by members, meaning whatever won did so because it was popular. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, in a way.

Persistent is NOT a broken ability, I think that this is more or less understood by most people. However, some people don't like the flavor of the ability, or what it stands for or means.
This pokemon on the whole has good resistances, but glaring weaknesses, so the only true controversial thing is the high BST but even that means nothing if you look at a pokemon like arcanine.

I don't believe that persistant is a good name for the ability that lonelyness wants to implement, and I cannot feasibly find a way that this pokemon would be able to create better barriers than other things, such as mr. mime. My opinion is mainly flavor based, because this would be a nice ability if it had an actual explanation for why it was so much better than every other pokemon.

So anyways, if you don't like how the create-a-pokemon project is going, you have two options.

1. Contribute actual discussion to how to "fix" the pokemon, maybe give us a good idea for an ability or something instead of just bitching.
2. Get out.
Sorry...That was a little rude of me.

Then hows this:

The pokemon doesn't need an ultimate ability. I personally think that Persistance is a good ability, but something like Vital Spirit doesn't make sense and make its immune to basically every good status (except Burn).

I like Frisk. I don't see how its useless. I mean, seeing your opponents move is pretty good, but not awesome. Alot of pokemon you can scout and get out (hehe ryme)

Anyways, sorry thunderpup if I offended you and am sorry for insulting you cartoons!

Oh, and I see how cartoons! is likable, but it really doesn't look like a pokemon. It looks like it came out of One Piece.

I like the thought of Synchronize. It being a utility, opposing enemies are going to want to use Toxic or w/e to try and wear it down, so statusing them back with it would either end up destroying the other pokemon, or simply causing the opponent to not use Toxic, technically removing the problem.

Others I like have already been stated, the generic poison themed abilities should definately be in consideration.

Also, why not another Magic Guard pokemon? I can see that Smog from the Imp as an effective barrier to residual damage etc.

The Vital Spirit/Insomnia option is also great, free up space that would previously be used for Resttalk, if such a set were to be made on the pokemon. Other options I believe should be included for possible use are:

• Aftermath ~Imp
  • Compoundeyes - (Increasing Hypnosis/Will-o-Wisp accuracy etc) ~Spider
  • Immunity ~Either
  • Klutz ~Either
  • Oblivious - (Especially the Imp, it seems a bit...dopey) ~Imp
  • Poison Heal - (Hasn't been seen on walls before) ~Either
  • Shield Dust ~Either
  • Simple - (Can be a 'bad' ability, and allow opponents to set up, just a thought) ~Either
  • Tangled Feet - (Seriously, 8 legs...) ~Spider
  • Unaware - (The opposite of simple, this could make it a serious contender) ~Either

This pokémon is already immune to Toxic, being Poison type. Besides, it is immune to the most common for of paralysis in Thunder Wave. With those two out, the only status it can reflect is Burn. Not very useful, huh?

Also, Thunderpup, Persistent (or however you want to name it), as it is proposed now DOESN'T increase the barriers duration. It only increases Tailwind, Gravity, Trick Room, Heal Block and Safeguard by 2 turns, but NOT the screens or any other move.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I agree with Persistent not increasing the Screens, as if it increased them to +2 I still think Light Clay would be obsolete (yes I know Light Clay is +3).

I like the idea a lot, and I hope the community starts liking it more. Increasing Tailwind, Trick Room, Gravity, Heal Block and Safeguard is awesome. Considering how dangerous Trick Room can be, potentially metagame altering :D

Also, Time Mage hinted at this...but I really like the idea of a utility guy being inherently defensive against status. He is already immune to Poison and the most common form of Paralysis, Thunder Wave. The typing is great here.

I want to increase this immunity to status by bringing forward Insomnia / Vital Spirit again.

Both are capable of dramatically increasing this thing's purpose: Utility.

I can also see any of the current four art designs getting one of the two, so either can work "flavor wise" as well.

I'm going to be pushing for Persistent and Insomnia / Vital Spirit whenever the ability voting becomes official :D

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I agree with Persistent not increasing the Screens, as if it increased them to +2 I still think Light Clay would be obsolete (yes I know Light Clay is +3).

I like the idea a lot, and I hope the community starts liking it more. Increasing Tailwind, Trick Room, Gravity, Heal Block and Safeguard is awesome. Considering how dangerous Trick Room can be, potentially metagame altering :D

Also, Time Mage hinted at this...but I really like the idea of a utility guy being inherently defensive against status. He is already immune to Poison and the most common form of Paralysis, Thunder Wave. The typing is great here.

I want to increase this immunity to status by bringing forward Insomnia / Vital Spirit again.

Both are capable of dramatically increasing this thing's purpose: Utility.

I can also see any of the current four art designs getting one of the two, so either can work "flavor wise" as well.

I'm going to be pushing for Persistent and Insomnia / Vital Spirit whenever the ability voting becomes official :D
The more I think about this, the more I agree. I too will be supporting these abilities in the coming poll.

Mhm, I agree with all that above^
Gravity, Trick Room, Tailwind, and possibly Safeguard would be more useful if they got a boost.
So I think I'll support these abilities:
Vital Spirit/ Insomnia
(Well Defined) Persistent
Frisk
Forewarn
But I doubt there would be a four-vote poll.
So I'm gonna have to choose.

But Persistent + Light Clay equal 10 turns of damage-lowering screen-ness. That would kick so much ass if that was possible. I do have some questions that been nagging me about Persistent:

• Is Tailwind going to match TR/Gravity in turns if this Pokemon get's Persistent?
  • Would it have a similar effect to Sandstream/Snow Warning? (I.e every times in come back in after setting TR/Gravity/etc, it adds an addiation 2 turns onto it)

I see Cartoons design having Iron Fist and Persistent. The abilities are useful, make sense and don't over power the pokemon.

The new ability is great, but I'm not getting hooked by the name. To me, being persistant would be something like not giving up on something. It'd be sort of a guaranteed second life kind thing (way to broken)

Expanding the effect of something isn't exactly persistant.

It reminds me abit of an over-achiever. Doesn't settle for good, but has to go above and beyond. It is similiar to being persistant, but not the same. I can't think of a sort word that means over-achiever.

LonelyNess

Makin' PK Love
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Persistent, as defined by good 'ole Merriam-Webster, (This is copy pasted right from their website)

Main Entry: per·sis·tent Pronunciation: \-tənt\ Function: adjective Etymology: Latin persistent-, persistens, present participle of persistere Date: 1826

1: existing for a long or longer than usual time or continuously: as
a: retained beyond the usual period <a persistent leaf>
b: continuing without change in function or structure <persistent gills>
c: effective in the open for an appreciable time usually through slow volatilizing <mustard gas is persistent>
d: degraded only slowly by the environment <persistent pesticides>
e: remaining infective for a relatively long time in a vector after an initial period of incubation <persistent viruses>

The name couldn't BE more perfect. The first definition is that it EXISTS FOR A LONG OR LONGER THAN USUAL TIME OR CONTINUOUSLY. How is that not EXACTLY what this ability does?

Also, for the people who seem confused as to what Persistent does, I'll post it again for this page.

Persistent

When the Pokemon with this ability uses any of the following moves: Trick Room/Gravity/Tailwind/Heal Block/Safeguard, their duration is increased by 2 turns.

Basically, you still have to USE the move, this isn't auto set up... It doesn't stack. Trick Room/Gravity/Heal Block/Safeguard get bumped up to seven turns, and Tailwind gets bumped up to the standard 5.

I'm not for giving Tailwind anything more than the standard +2 boost, because I think Time Mage said it earlier, Tailwind is beneficial to EVERY pokemon in the game and seems like a splashable move on this thing. (Just throw it on the pokemon, and it'll help any team out) where as something like Gravity/Trick Room need dedicated teams.

Not that it really matters competitively (people don't really use it), but I think persistent should extend the move mist as well. Depending on who wins, this poke might not even get mist; I just really think that it is another pseudo-weather field move like the ones that are already effected.

If nothing else, it will just be a part of this ability that isn't used, but makes sense and completes it. (I would say "maybe for a different CAP" but I doubt we will give the same ability any time soon)

Persistent works for the name, but frankly I would like to see the name have something to do with its hands. I'm proposing the name of Adept. This pokemon, using its many hands is adept at performing a variety of moves better than the average pokemon.

LonelyNess

Makin' PK Love
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Really, I could give a crap less what the ability is called. (Although I suppose I have become accustomed to calling in Persistent, and I do like that as the ability name)

It's the effect I want, not the name.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
As a name, I like Adept. However, it's similar in definition to Technician, which is an ability possessed by Ambipom, who is the current reigning "Big Hands On Multiple Extra Limbs" pokemon. I think Handyman is already begging for comparisons to Ambipom, just by virtue of the design.

Maybe we could call it "Free Hands" or "Extra Hands". It just means that this pokemon can keep doing something, because he always has a free hand to do new stuff.

Theoretically, this ability could apply to other multi-limbed pokemon like Ambipom, Machamp, etc. So, it's not too specific to just this pokemon.

Personally, I think Persistent is perfect to describe the effect of the ability. If it doesn't fit perfectly with the design of Daddy Longlegs, that's less of a concern to me.

have we created a new ability yet?
i know it sounds stupid, but if we haven't, we should!
have we even made a move?
We already create one when Scylant (Mountaineer) was made. Persistent is gaining enough support to have a chance at the polls. As for new move, most people seem to dislike new move ideas.

You know, I'm actually a bit disappointed Tangled Feet for Cartoons' design hasn't gotten any support. Sure, it's a shit ability, but it's aesthetically perfect for him.

And is this Pokémon really going to need an excellent ability to do its job well? I think it'd be fine with Tangled Feet ... as long as its movepool is good, of course.

Whatever. I also like the idea of Vital Spirit, but I think it might make it a bit overpowered if it also receives an excellent movepool. Actually ... if this thing has Vital Spirit and it uses Rest ... what happens?

I like Frisk. I don't see how its useless. I mean, seeing your opponents move is pretty good, but not awesome.
Frisk Shows the foe's item.

So either you made a bad typo or you really don't know what frisk does, it's useless like LN has pointed out 100 times

I'm for Poison Point or Persistant

After hearing ppl talking about all the abilities we could get, I think Insomnia/Vital Spirit would be the best one ( imo ). But at least its not Persistent, its fine for me =o ( i kinda dun like it how Trick Room/Tail Wind lasts dat long ).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)