CAP 4 CAP 4 - Ability Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still, it's questionable whether this will get Tailwind or not and that's the only reason I can see for giving anything a turn boost. Trick Room works on its own, i've seen people use it successfully. Gravity doesn't need to last too long to make sure things such as Skarmory get raped. Hmm, does it actually need a boost apart from Tailwind?

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Short Answer: No.
Long Answer: Tailwind was originally part of the concept, and was to be an integral part of the pokemon. The point wasn't to boost ITS speed, but the TEAM'S speed. See the difference?

Two tourns of setup. Two turns where you are TELEGRAPHING what you'll do. Just switch to a pokémon that can KO Marowak (not exactly difficult) on turn 2, then use a SE attack on turn 3. The opponent setting up now has the option of letting Marowak die or switch into another pokémon, wasting setup turns. And since CAP4 is weak to the same types as Marowak, staying isn't a desirable option, either.

Also:
Why do people keep wanting to change the name of Persistent!?

It says exactly what it does... It couldn't be a more perfect name.

Stop trying to change it!!!
I'd rather change the name to one more people liked than see Persistent lose in the polls just because people can't see past an "unfitting" name, ignoring the effects of the ability.

Short Answer: No.
Long Answer: Tailwind was originally part of the concept, and was to be an integral part of the pokemon. The point wasn't to boost ITS speed, but the TEAM'S speed. See the difference?
I think Wyverii was referring to Marowak rather than DLL.

As a side note, Thick Club EQ > CB EQ due to Thick Club having the same effect of doubling Attack, minus the move locking.

I like the sound of that first ability, I would make it so that any contact move had the added affect of Knock Off. Something like this would be the description:

Disarm~Contact moves used by this Pokemon remove the items of Pokemon without the abilities Sticky Hold/Multitype (I think that gets sticky hold properties(?)).
Do you mind give Sticky Hold a purpose in life? Anyway, I like how you describe it, hope you don't mind if I gave it a name fitting the description?

Your second ability doesn't seem to be all that broken, but it doesn't seem to have much feel for utility... which kind of defeats the point.
That probably because you're inclined to think it's a more offensive ability, which may be true. I had that ability in my mind for a long time and just decided to post it to see if it's super broken or not.

tennisace

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Why does the name matter?

Shakespeare said:
"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet."
EDIT: Forgot TC was an item >.>

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
1st Turn: Sends out Ninjask. Use Protect/Swords Dance.
2nd Turn: Protect/Swords Dance.
3rd Turn: Baton Pass to Marowak.
4th Turn: Rapey

Ya i don't see how that example proves that Persistent is broken. If anything it is inferior to the regular Baton Passing with Ninjask. Regardless both will meet up with a counter/phaser on turn 2 anyways nullifying the entire strategy.
Phazing is far less effective against a Tailwind/Trick Room/Gravity setup. Phazing might get rid of the sweeper, but the "boosts" still remain in effect. When you phaze a BP chain, you destroy the entire setup. I think that makes Tailwind/Trick Room/Gravity much more effective than BP from Ninjask.

Overtime is a much better name than Persistent. Persistent sounds so Psychic-type (mentally) or Fighting-type (physically) to me. It's like, it's talking more about the Pokémon than it is about the freaking screens, and it's got no flavor. Why do the screens last longer? What about the Pokémon makes them so persistent?

Overtime makes it clear. It's going into Overtime! Not too hard with all those hands. Plus it just sounds so much better. I'm a little surprised that anybody would be pushing for Persistent as its actual name, when to me it was always clear that it was just a placeholder name.

LonelyNess

Makin' PK Love
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Also, I see the Bulky Water being a huge counter to this Pokemon.

Using Gravity on the first turn doesn't phase Vaporeon/Suicune/Milotic/Slowbro one bit, and then you're facing the barrel of a STAB Surf, and you can't switch to Marowak because it's going to be OHKO'd by any of them.

That strategy, while good... is not fool proof.

Daddy Long Leg:
Anger Point Raises Atk to +6 if struck by a critical hit.
~ It seems like a very unstable poke. Let's see what happens when he snaps.
Anticipation Alerts the Pokémon of certain dangerous moves.
~ Appears to be very ancy(?).
Frisk Shows the foe's item.
~ already been said
Hustle Physical moves do 50% more damage at the cost of 20% Accuracy. Increases wild encounter rate with higher level Pokémon.
~This one seems to fit along with tangled feet
Skill Link Multi-hit move will always hit for the maximum amount.
~ Lots of hands. Lots of hits.
Soundproof Unaffected by sound moves.
~ Lots of hands. Lots of ear plugs.
Suction Cups Cannot be forced to switch. Increases chance of encountering Pokémon while fishing.
~ ... Lots of hands. Moar suction(?).
Tangled Feet Evasion increases when confused.
~ Lots of erm... FeetHands.. Faeds.
Unaware Ignores stat boosts on all Pokémon.
~ he certianlly looks to busy to care.
Unburden Speed increases when an item is used or lost.
~ Well, this one really makes sense. Not so much for the support aspect but when he drops his apple thats 1 less hand to worry about. amiright?

My fav top 3:

Frisk
Hustle
Tangled Feet

Hustle and Tangled Feet are great, actually, because they're another duo: Hustle decreases your accuracy, while Tangled Feet increases your evasion! :D

LonelyNess

Makin' PK Love
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
But they do absolutely nothing for Utility...

Why do we want an ability that increases ATTACK for something that his main purpose is supposed to be SUPPORT.... not sweeping.

Do you guys honestly even read what you post? Or is it all just spewed out into type before your brain gets in on the whole deal?

You could be a bit less aggressive, LonelyNess.

Anyway, yeah, Hustle does pretty much nothing good to it (it's a special attacker, to begin with), and considering confusion is so rare, Tangled feet is pretty much useless, too.

Abilities I think could be benefitial, fitting to the theme (not the design, the theme), and not broken:

- Persistent (or however you want to name it!).
- Insomnia/Vital Spirit
- Unaware
- Anticipation
- Forewarn
- Poison Point
- Scrappy
- Suction Cups

But they do absolutely nothing for Utility...

Why do we want an ability that increases ATTACK for something that his main purpose is supposed to be SUPPORT.... not sweeping.

Do you guys honestly even read what you post? Or is it all just spewed out into type before your brain gets in on the whole deal?
I think they're just working off of the "shitty ability" idea, and I don't think there's anything wrong with that as this should be able to pull off Utility more than well enough already.
I don't support Hustle or other offense-boosting abilities, but I wouldn't go biting anyone's head off or anything, as we're not even at the polls yet. Please calm down. :/

P.S., @Tennis' Shakespear reference: I LOL'd. Literally.

LonelyNess

Makin' PK Love
I'm sorry, I'm just getting a little bit annoyed at all of the useless abilities being suggested... I mean come on, Hustle? Soundproof?

Atleast put some thought into what ability you are suggesting before you suggest it.

Do this little test...

A. What is the original concept of the pokemon? Does the ability I'm about to suggest go along with that concept?

B. Is the ability that I'm suggesting broken on the pokemon I'm suggesting it for?

C. Is it completely useless?

If the answer to A is no, or B and C yes, then you've got an ability that doesn't need suggesting, regardless of how "flavorfull" it is.

(Also, Anticipation is completely outclassed by Forewarn in my opinion... just saying)

Persistent fits the description of the ability like a glove, but if people really hate it, you could call it Overtime, Long Haul, Extra Time, or something else. Personally I don't think Persistent is a bad name for something that's extending the period of time TR/Gravity/etc last.

BTW, technically Doug suggested the name Persistent, I just turned it into a simple description which in turn LN turned it into an awesome ability.

Not every Pokémon has to have a good ability, especially in order to be viable. Latinohunk brought this up early in the thread and a lot of people agree with him, which is why they are suggesting "useless" abilities.

I disagree with your opinion of the "correct" answer to C.

I'm supporting Unaware as long as it's decided that we're giving it usable/good abilities. If we give it blah abilities, I support Forewarn. Spider-sense for the semi-win!

The fact that a good ability is not necessary doesn't mean we should avoid giving it a good one, let alone looking for crappy ones.

LonelyNess

Makin' PK Love
The purpose of the project is to work hard on every aspect of the pokemon. To intentionally give this thing a worthless ability is antithetical to the project goals.
Sorry to quote you, Doug, but this says everything I need to say.

Presumptuous... the ability of a pokemon makes up just as much how competetive a pokemon is as its stats/movepool/typing. As doug also said a previous post, KNOWINGLY giving it a worthless ability is like giving it shit stats, or the worst typing in the game, or no viable movepool to speak of.

There's a difference between amazingly good... and not shit.

tennisace

How is Unaware a "Shit ability"? With it, you could viably use Swagger to spread status. It also helps with CMers and other stat-uppers (Read: Not Garchomp/Gyarados/Salamence/Dragonite). Its a good ability.

LonelyNess

Makin' PK Love
I never said that Unaware is a crap ability...

The ones I was specifically referring to were

Tangled Feet
Anticipation
Anger Point
Hustle
Soundproof

Those ones I find to be incredibly useless not just on this Pokemon, but on pokemon in general.

Don't misquote me into saying that I think that all abilities that aren't Persistent are shit. That's not what I'm saying... In fact, I have expressed a liking in Vital Spirit/Disarm both of which further the main purpose of this Pokemon, UTILITY.

The other abilities I said weren't in going with the theme "utility", which they aren't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)