CAP 4 CAP 4 - Ability Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I'm going to show you why you SHOULD vote frisk.

Alright, I'm ending this here and now... This post will single handidly destroy the Frisk opposition.

Frisk only works if you switch INTO the opponent... So let's look at what on the OU list our pokemon will feasibly switch into. Bolded Pokemon are the ones it would be perfectly fine switching into.

Azelf- Not switching into for fear of STAB Psychic
Blissey - Encore bait, and can't do anything
Breloom- (So long as it has slept something already)
Bronzong- See: every other wall -So you wouldn't like to know if it has Wet Rock or Leftovers?
Celebi- See: Every other wall
Cresselia- See: Every other wall
Dragonite- I would never switch into this for fear of a DD Earthquake coming the turn after
Dugtrio- STAB EQ? No thank you...
Dusknoir- I don't see Dusknoir doing anything really to our pokemon, save burning it.
Electivire - Our pokemon is faster and immune to its STAB move
Forretress- See: Every other wall
Gallede- I wouldn't risk switching into a possible CB Psycho Cut... or taking a hit from a SD one either
Garchomp- Are you freaking kidding me? I might switch in on this ONCE... but after that my opponent can predict just as well as I can, and I don't like the idea of an EQ in my face.
Gengar- Sleep/HP Ice and no real way for me to do anything back to it? I won't be switching in.
Gliscor- STAB EQ hurts, but encoring SR is sweet...
Gyrados- DD Waterfalls... enough said
Heatran- Not OHKO'd by any of the moves, fast enough to outspeed and kill with STAB EQ.
Heracross- Not threatened by ANYTHING on Heracross' arsenal... save the rare CB Earthquake
Hippowdon- See: Gliscor
Infernape- Coming in on a Close Combat would be nice, but we're slower and it'll 2HKO us with Fire Blast
Jirachi- Encore bait, can't do anything to us. Psychic Jirachi is a very handy Revenankh counter, and I'm not the only one who uses it.
Jolteon- I don't know how much Specs HP Ice does... but I wouldn't risk it.
Lucario- See: Heracross
Machamp- See: Lucario & Heracross
Magnezone- HP Ice isn't an OHKO... outspeed and kill w/EQ
Mamoswine- Do I even have to explain?
Milotic- STAB Surf... no thanks
Roserade- Sleep, Specs Leaf Storm... too much to risk to switch in.
Salamence- HAHAHAHAHAHA I would NEVER switch this thing into 'mence
Scizor- Depending on movepool... I don't see either it doing anything to us, and vice versa...
Skarmory- See: Every other wall
Snorlax- See: Every other wall
Spiritomb- See: Every other wall
Starmie- STAB surf...
Suicune- Encore bait kind of if it Calm Minds on your switch... but I wouldn't risk the Surf I would come in on it.
Swampert- Hydro Pump/Surf will do a number... and you can't really do much back.
Tentacruel- Surf will never OHKO... but you do with EQ.
Togekiss- Immune to T-wave... faster for Encoring plots. etc...
Tyranitar- might be Band EQ... or Specs Ice Beams etc...
Vaporeon- bulkier than us, and STAB Surf
Weavile- Faster than us, with STAB Ice Punch
Yanmega- I honestly don't know, I might switch in.. depends on how much Air Slash does You can come in.
Zapdos- Sure, immune to its STAB attack, but what are we going to do to it as it HP Ices us to death and Roosts off the damage? You can come in and threaten with a faster encore.
Syclant- Haha I'll give you this.However, early game you could come in on a predicted Focus Blast.It's really nice to know what it's holding early game, and you could always lead with it and switch.
Revenankh-Fresh meat. You can always come in on this, encore, and set up. Perfect bait.
Pyroak -Again, bait. What's it going to do? Seed you? Sub up? Hit you with Lava Plume/Grass Knot? Sorry, set up bait.

This thing has good switch-ins to 22/45 pokemon of OU...

Sounds great, but if you look. 16/22 of them are almost GUARANTEED to be packing Leftovers.

The remaining 6 are

Scizor
Heracross
Machamp
Lucario
Heatran
Electivire
Snorlax
Zapdos
Yanmega
Syclant
Revenankh
Pyroak

So these are the pokemon you get to know what item they're packing... let's see how usefull that information really is.

If any of these pokemon are life orbed, than Frisk is useless... because you're likely to take damage on the switch in.

Band/Scarf COULD be usefull to know, but you could just as easily guestimate whether or not the pokemon did a sufficient enough damage... I know a LOT of people who run damage calcs in the middle of battles... and i personally play enough to where I can roughly guess whether or not a pokemon is Banded/Scarfed...

So in essence... Frisk is USELESS!!!! The Pokemon that you might want it against, are going to beat you 1 on 1, and any intelligent battler would never switch in on it, and the pokemon that you have free switches in on either have leftovers... or predictable items.

I hope this has helped you all realize how bad Frisk would be on our pokemon...

DON'T GO WITH FRISK I BEG OF YOU!!!!!!!!!!
You forgot to mention the MANY BL's that this would help with. So it's not as "useless" as you say it is. Also, you can always lead with it. That helps a lot when you know right off the bat what their lead's going to do.

So in conclusion, Frisk is NOT useless, and is VERY useful.

LonelyNess

Makin' PK Love
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Are you... Are you serious? That didn't prove anything.

Jirachi 9/10 times holds leftovers, you don't need Frisk to tell you that. The other 1 time that it's not, you will know as soon as you switch into an attack, as it's either CB and will do an unusual amount of damage, or it's Life Orb and they'll take damage on the switch-in

Knowing that Bronzong has Damp Rock does absolutely NOTHING for you. You either have a counter for the rain or you don't... it's not like you're ever going to say "Man, I COULD have beaten that team, if I had known the rain wasn't going to last an extra 3 turns"... That's the dumbest thing I ever heard, your team was either prepared for rain and switched in its rain counter right away, or it wasn't... and you would have been swept regardless.

Now to debunk the Pokemon you added to my list...

Snorlax: It's either running CB or Leftovers... does it heal the SR damage when it switches in? If not, CB... if so, Leftovers... You don't need Frisk.
Zapdos: IF you're playing against anyone competetive, it has Leftovers.
Yanmega: Either Specs/Life Orb/Wide Lense... If it's the first two, you'll know it on the switch-in... The last one isn't exactly "vital" information to know

IF YOU ARE AT ALL GOOD AT THE GAME... YOU WILL NEVER SWITCH IN ON SYCLANT... Enough said

Revenankh: It's either got Leftovers... or it's the shitty CB set. You don't need Frisk
Pyroak: I'll give you this one, as it can run a variety of sets and run under the guise of other sets.

So the only thing you've done is show that I forgot to mention CAP pokemon in the OU list.

Also, rather than saying "MANY BL'S" why don't you mention a few that it would be nice to know the item of, rather than being incredibly vague.

I've put into GREAT detail how Frisk is a terrible ability, the least you could do is put SOME effort into defending it if you're going to try at all. (Which you shouldn't because it's a crap ability)

tennisace

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Calm down there. Ill edit in BLs soon, but i dont have TIME to fully explain my argument. As for Syclant, I said it's used as a lead a lot. Wouldn't you like to know what the opponent's lead is holding? I would.
edit: @ness

LonelyNess

Makin' PK Love
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So you're saying... that we should base our ENTIRE ability... on the off chance that our opponent is leading with Syclant, so that we can know it off the bat?

I don't even think that I need to argue with this.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
How is giving an amazing ability to something which has slowbro's physical def, 105 speed, a decent typing, and a probable insane movepool which includes a 1 turn recovery not going overboard.
The way we have made it makes it almost certain to be a good OU competitive pokemon, why do we always have to go over the top and make every project a contest to see how close to broken we can make a pokemon.

Persistant is basically as convenient as having a concept called Garchomp counter and creating a new ability where it takes half damage from dragon moves.
I never said I wanted to give this an "amazing ability". Those are your words, not mine. I said I don't want to give this a worthless ability. There's a big difference between "amazing" and "not worthless". I also did not advocate making this overpowered. I said I think we should make this pokemon as effective as possible, without going overboard.

The purpose of the project is to work hard on every aspect of the pokemon. To intentionally give this thing a worthless ability is antithetical to the project goals.

I'm also a little numb to the cries of "It's Broken!". I'm afraid that statement is "crying wolf" at this point. I don't think there is a single poll that someone doesn't proclaim that we have "broken" the pokemon. However, as playtesting has revealed, it is almost never the case. Are there things I would like changed on existing pokemon? Yes. Are the pokemon broken? No. Are they as broken in as many ways as the naysayers claimed they would be during the creation process? Absolutely not.

I think we've been having a pretty good discussion on the topic of ability. Some of the recent posts by LonelyNess and the_arctic_one have been very good in their analysis of the impact of certain abilities in the current competitive metagame. That is the sort of discussion we should be having in a CAP ability thread. Not a bunch of silly fanboy discussions about "flavor" and insubstantiated claims of brokenness.

Ok i just want to know why does everyone seem to fear or have a problem with making something around Heracross/Mamoswine/Yanmega level OU as opposed to trying to achieve something close to Gengar level.

I have no doubt we could give this thing any ability but wonder guard and it still wouldn't be considered broken, but i don't see why you have to push it.

To me at this point the projects just seem like experiments to see how far we can push the competitive aspects of a pokemon, without it being considered broken.

The whole there isn't a flavor aspect bullshit goes out the window as soon as the art threads are made, every single thing about them is based around flavor and not the competitive side. You could sprite a dot and say it has 600 bst and is dragon/steel typed its still as competitive. The minute discussions begin about how we should vote on a certain art because it looks like its stat spread or it looks like it could use this move or the typing we have chosen, the project has a huge "flavor" aspect to it. The fact that the art threads are home to the most discussion, shows that flavor is very important to this project or at least the community voting on it. Therefore i don't see why you can ignore it one minute and then throw the flavor aspect out of the window when it doesn't suit. Flavor is important to the project and if someone says its not why are we bothering holding 8 day art discussions, pokedex discussions and height discussions when they have nothing to do with the competitive aspect, when you can focus more on the competitive side and also churn out more of these projects in a shorter space of time

tennisace

So you're saying... that we should base our ENTIRE ability... on the off chance that our opponent is leading with Syclant, so that we can know it off the bat?

I don't even think that I need to argue with this.
No. That's absolutely NOT what I'm saying. I'm saying that this pokemon would make a great lead, and with Frisk, you can automatically find out the opposing lead's item. Don't you think thats useful?

Onto the pokemon you can "switch in on" I'll also mention the lead possibilities. Looks like you missed a few. Leads in Underline, Switchins in Bold

Abomasnow - Lead. This could be Lefties, Scarf, Band, Specs, but it is mostly lefties. Nice to know for sure though.
Aerodactyl - Faster with Taunt + EQ is a no-go for a switchin, but as a lead this is quite versitile.
Alakazam - Haha no. Yeah STAB Psychic+Trick+Faster is a no.
Ambipom - Really, what can it do to you? Fake Out? U-Turn? You can come in and set up.
Arcanine - Dicey really, Pepper has HP Ground as a staple.
Articuno - Not like you see this anywhere anymore, but don't bother coming in.
Azelf - As a lead, you could check the item and switch to an apropriate counter.
Azumarill- Dont bother.
Blaziken - Bother. Even though you don't see it really, its not threatening enough, and you could come in on the fighting move/ Agility.
Blissey - Set up bait. Come in, Taunt/Encore, make mischief.
Breloom - Watch out for spore on the switch in, else come right on in! Even as a lead, this is way faster and can taunt the spore. None of Breloom's moves are threatening, and It's good to know if this is Band, LO, or TO.
Bronzong - Although you kinda know what item he's going to have, its nice to screw with it.
Celebi- On fear of psychic, I'd be a bit leery.
Charizard - Iffy matchup. However, it's good to know the item.
Cresselia - No.
Crobat - Though its faster, you can find out the item and get the hell out.
Donphan - Ehhhhhh I don't think EQ will do enough, but unless you have HP Ice you can't do much except Encore Rapid Spin or Stealth Rock. Don't come in.
Dragonite - No.
Dugtrio - No.
Dusknoir - Can't do much.
Electivire - Be wary of EQ/IP. Other than that, come in on TP and rape. Its also great to know its item.
Empoleon- Hmm tie.
Entei - Lol Entei loses.
Espeon - No.
Exeggutor - No.
Feraligatr - No.
Floatzel - No.
Flygon - Come on in! It's great to know what it's carrying.
Forretress - You can come in and fuck with it, but you know what item it's holding.
Gallade - I don't see many Psycho Cut Gallades, so come in on a move NOT called Ice Punch.
Garchomp - No. If this was Poison/Dragon you could have =(
Gardevoir - No.
Gengar - It can kill you.
Gliscor - Catching it on Knock Off or SR is your best bet.
Gyarados - No.
Hariyama - Yes. It's either Band or Lefties. Come on in! Same goes for Hitmontop btw.
Heatran - If you come in on a fire move or Dragon Pulse you're good. Then figure out it's item.
Heracross - This is an AMAZING Hera counter. Come in and find out its item.
Hippowdon - No.
Honchkrow - Sure, why not. It could be running one of many sets.
Houndoom - Specs may hurt, but you can Encore the Nasty Plot.
Infernape - Just be wary of the random EQs and you should be fine.
Jirachi - Be wary of Psychic. Other than that, you can screw with it.
Jolteon - No. However, Petaya vs Specs vs Lefties vs Salac is huge.
Kingdra - No. No. No.
Lickilicky - Lickilicky is an invitation to come fuck with the opponent's team.
Lucario - Great Lucario counter. See Hera.
Ludicolo - No.
Machamp - If you're sure it doesn't have Ice Punch.
Magmortar - It can't do much to you, so come in.
Magnezone - Again, HP Ice won't do much. EP will.
Mamoswine - I really can't think of a worse matchup, unless you can come in on a Curse.
Marowak - Almost as bad as Mammo.
Medicham - See Gallade.
Mesprit - No.
Metagross - No.
Milotic - No.
Miltank - Mini Blissey, see Blissey.
Mismagius - Ehhhhhh risky but you can do it if it's Sub CM.
Moltres - Yeah you can come in on it.
Ninjask - It can't do anything to you, you can't do anything to it.
Pinsir - Heracross v0.5
Porygon-Z - Come in on the Nasty Plot or anything not named Ice Beam.
Porygon2 - Really can't do much except Ice Beam, if you're facing it get out because it'll Ice Beam you.
Pyroak - Bait.
Raikou - Risky. I'm the only one on the server who really uses it anyway, and its way faster and will HP Ice you.
Rampardos - No.
Regice - No.
Regigigas - Lulz. Come on in and set up!
Regirock - Come in on anything thats NOT EQ.
Registeel - Yeah you can do it.
Revenankh - Free set up turn ftw.
Rhyperior - No.
Roserade - You outspeed it's attempts to status or set up, and it can't do much besides a Neutral Leaf Storm from Specs, which you would see anyways.
Salamence - I agree, no.
Sceptile - Uhdur. Come in and set up.
Scizor - Can't do much to you really, and vice versa.
Shaymin - See Sceptile
Shedinja - Lol suprisingly it counters this.
Skarmory - Come in on it's phazing party, Encore/Taunt it and do...nothing to it.
Slaking - Watch out. But still lol.
Slowbro - No.
Slowking - No.
Smeargle - Faster Taunt.
Snorlax - I wouldn't.
Spiritomb - You could, but then what?
Staraptor - Come in on CC.
Starmie - No!
Suicune - You could come in on CM, outspeed, and Encore...but it's risky.
Swampert - I wouldn't.
Syclant - As a lead you could check the item and GTFO.
Tangrowth - Taunt/Encore the setup.
Tauros - No.
Tentacruel - No.
Togekiss - Faster encore.
Torterra - I wouldn't bother.
Typhlosion - Nice to know what it's holding, as I've been swept by a scarfed one.
Tyranitar - Haha no.
Umbreon - Bait. See Blissey.
Ursaring - No.
Uxie -No.
Vaporeon - No.
Venusaur - Yes. While uncommon, it's versitile, so knowing the item helps.
Weavile - No.
Weezing - Yeah. You know what it's holding already though.
Yanmega - Iffy.
Zangoose - No.
Zapdos- Yes, and I've seen Scarfed ones before as leads, as well as normal ones.

Some of the examples are a bit unneccisary, but you see my point. It may be situational, but so is Intimidate. What physical attackers aside from Lucario, Revvy, and Hera are you going to switch into? So while it may not look all that great, it's very handy sometimes, and shouldn't be cast aside as worthless. BTW, this wasn't proving that it was a GREAT ability, this was trying to prove it wasn't useless.

LonelyNess

Makin' PK Love
Alright, this is the last thing I'm going to say about Frisk, and then I'm going to let it be.

What you don't seem to get, tennis, is that Frisk is entirely NOT NECESSARY. I commend you for going through the entire list of BL's just to add to the viable switch-in list, but it's completely irrelevent. Of course adding about 50 more pokemon to the list is going to increase the number of viable switch-ins... no one's debating that. Also, I don't see how your switch-in list actually helps your case at all, seeing as how you didn't even mention what item is so GREAT to discover. I give the following as an example: "Magmortar: Come on in".... yeah alright, you can switch... how does this make Frisk good?

What I'm trying to say, is that there is NO reason to use Frisk...

The following items are what I would consider to be "splashable" items. (Defined as, throw them on a pokemon and they will just work)

Leftovers
Choice Band
Choice Specs
Choice Scarf
Life Orb
Focus Sash
Type Resisting Berries

I'm probably missing some, but it's not a big deal for my argument. Almost all other items are pokemon specific, so as soon as you see the Pokemon, you know the item. (Examples are Breloom/Swellow/Clefable with Toxic Orb... etc... etc... etc...)

Of these above items. Leftovers is extremely easy to deduce whether or not a pokemon has them without Frisk... it'll heal at the end of the turn... case closed, I know it has Leftovers.

Band/Scarf/Specs: If I switch into a resisted move and they don't switch to a SE move if they have the option to, and they switch out... I can be pretty sure that it's going to be one of these. After that, it's simple deduction... how much damage did that move do on the switch-in? Was it enough to be Banded? Or is it probably scarfed? I don't need Frisk to tell me this.

Life Orb, is just like Leftovers... you're going to know immediately upon the switch in that it's got them... no need for Frisk.

So that leaves Focus Sash and the Type Resisting Berries.

I will conceede that knowing whether or not they have one of these is useful information... But is there a whole lot I can do about it? If I find Garchomp is holding a Yache Berry... (not that I'd switch in to a Garchomp... but let's just use it as an example in an EXTREME HYPOTHETICAL) my options are as follows:

A. Hit it with an Ice attack and 2HKO it
B. Hit it with any other attack and 2HKO it.

So... how did me knowing Yache Berry help AT ALL!? Those scenarios were available to me even with OUT me knowing it had Yache Berry... Which means that me knowing that your Garchomp had Yache Berry was absolutely pointless... it didn't help me at all, and your Garchomp still avoided the OHKO.

And stop saying "It's nice to know the item" as basis for Frisk being viable. Any competant battler can 9 times out of 10 pick the correct item being used on any given Pokemon, and that 1 time fluke isn't enough to warrent using Frisk as an ability.

tennisace

I get that its not the best ability out there. I don't get your argument that there's NO reason to use frisk, when there are SOME reasons to use it. They may not be the best reasons to use it but, hey, reasons are reasons. Agreeing with the lets drop this and let the community decide.

Going back to the first post after the OP in this thread, what about Unaware?

I'd just like to add/support the fact that you can get swept by certain Pokemon if you mispredict what they're packing.
Lucario is one of these, and this Pokemon can switch into him quite well, and find out what he has with Frisk.

LonelyNess

Makin' PK Love
Ugh... omgthatkid... please, just STOP!

If I'm switching in to Lucario, I'm either taking an attack or it's setting up. Once I take an attack or see it set up I KNOW WHAT SET ITS USING AND THEREFORE ITS ITEM AS WELL........

Frisk is in no way necessary in that equation.

Gah!

Besides, Persistent: How is it broken? I'm really puzzled about that. Some people claim it's broken, but I can only see it as a viable way of making Tailwind barely usable, Heal Block and Safeguard worth considering, and Gravity and Trick Room appealing but not really overpowered.

What's so scary about it, really? It not only emphasizes the utility role (something I'd like to do after getting a spread with 90 SpA, which may lead to mistake it for some kind of bulky special attacker), but it already makes some very underused SUPPORT moves an option.

I'd really like to see an argument against Persistent that doesn't rely on flavor, or calling it "fanboyish", but rather gives reasons as to why it won't be useful or why it will be too good.

Ugh... omgthatkid... please, just STOP!

If I'm switching in to Lucario, I'm either taking an attack or it's setting up. Once I take an attack or see it set up I KNOW WHAT SET ITS USING AND THEREFORE ITS ITEM AS WELL........

Frisk is in no way necessary in that equation.

Gah!
If Lucario is Swords Dancing, you can encore.
If Lucario is a special attacker, you'll see if it has a Life Orb or Choice Specs.
Never once did I say Frisk was a necessity in order to play safely against Lucario.
What people like Tennis and myself are trying to do is prove you wrong that Frisk is a bad option.
We're in no way saying it's the best option, that's for the community to decide.
So don't be so rude and ignorant while trying to disprove a non-existent point.

Actually, I just ran a calculation, and Swords Danced Extremespeed won't 2HKO if this Pokemon is carrying leftovers. That's with a spread of: 212 Hp; 160 Def; 136 Spe @ a +Defense nature to outspeed Lucario.
So even if you do Encore that, either Lucario will switch out and lose the Swords Dance, or you can recover off the damage. Either way, you find out what Lucario has without much loss.

Holy crap, i just got an amazing ability idea, please tell me what you guys think of this.

Jagged ground- When this pokemon is in play, the opponet has a [insert percentage] chance to take [insert damage] while attacking.

details- the pokemon would stick its hands into the ground and burst jagged rocks out of the ground that the opposing pokemon could trip on when trying to attack. it wouldn't work against flying/levitate pokemon.

i think that cartoons! drawing would work great for this ability, since it is likely that his utility spider will win.

tennisace

Holy crap, i just got an amazing ability idea, please tell me what you guys think of this.

Jagged ground- When this pokemon is in play, the opponet has a [insert percentage] chance to take [insert damage] while attacking.

details- the pokemon would stick its hands into the ground and burst jagged rocks out of the ground that the opposing pokemon could trip on when trying to attack. it wouldn't work against flying/levitate pokemon.

i think that cartoons! drawing would work great for this ability, since it is likely that his utility spider will win.
seems a bit broken imo, we shouldnt be adding hax.

LonelyNess

Makin' PK Love
I wouldn't mind the ability if it wasn't luck oriented, as well as if it actually furthered the original purpose.

Doing damage when the opponent is attacking you isn't utility... it's more anti-wall breaking, like... a penalty for attacking a wall... which this Pokemon isn't meant to be.

We should be thinking of abilities that help further its main purpose. Things like moveset scouting, making setting up for its teammates easier/more effective, heck even item scouting (while useless) is atleast under the category of "utility". etc... etc.. etc.. THESE should be the things its ability does.

how about this for an ability:

Stifle -Decrease all increased levels by 1 level
Slow Switch- Switches out at the end of turn
Ignorance: Priorirty is solely determined by speed of both players.

hm, well, maybe it could be a 20-25% chance of paralyzing the opposing pokemon? that is definately helpful to the whole team, and it isnt too broken because it only happens when our pokemon is in play.

LonelyNess

Makin' PK Love
I think people are misunderstanding me...

I don't think that we should be making new abilities just for the sake of making new abilities.(which seems to be the case for the two posts before me) We should only make new abilities if the abilities help to serve the original intent of the CAP project, which in this case is Utility.

In fact, I'd be more than happy to back any existing ability if the utility of said ability could be proven, however that hasn't really been done so far.

The ones that were just posted, either seem outclassed, (why make an ability that decreases INCREASED stats by one level... when we could just use Unaware and completely ignore the stat boosts all together?) or useless on the pokemon (priority moves aren't going to be a problem against this guy... They're BP 40, and this thing is bulky as hell.)

I think if we're going to make new abilities we should have a specific task in mind. Such as: make TR/Gravity/Tailwind viable through the ability, result? Persistent.

(I just used the new ability I've been advocating as an example.)

I'm going to vote for Vital Spirit.

Seems kind of useless to have such a great utility pokemon be put to sleep. Even though I may be jumping the gun. After seeing the animation for Daddy Long Legs the thing sure does look like it has a vital sprit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)