CAP 3 CAP 3 - Part 9.5 (Main/Secondary Ability Poll)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the point is that people want some chance to rest an auto-sun inducer for OU... me included

Nerfing the ability would come if it seemed that infinite sun was too much, but limited sun was not.

Those are just suggestions for nerfs, though we might nor nerf the ability at all.

Rock Head: I like the Flare Blitz/Wood Hammer combo.
Leaf Guard: A defensive ability, too.

EDIT: Changed my vote away from greenhouse.
I like DJD's suggestion on the Red Team - Blue Team Weather CAP.

I know a lot of people want auto-sun, but I think, like Karrot said, we should wait until another CAP project to work on these. I think we should have both an auto-Rain Dance and auto-Sunny Day tested (even if it's for 5 turns) at the same time, with a Pokemon designed specifically for this.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Main Ability: Battle Armor

Secondary Ability: Leaf Guard

Defensive abilities for a defensive pokemon!

I sincerely hope Drought Jr. doesn't win.

Karrot

plant
is a Past WCoP Champion
With an ability like “Greenhouse,” why are people even bothering with a secondary ability other than Scrappy? I think it’s obvious that if Greenhouse is chosen to be an ability, the second ability will become literally pointless with a powerful ability overshadowing it. =\

Also, why are people proposing Greenhouse, then proposing that the later CAPs can make up for it? I think that is a clear sign that it is too powerful. The CAP project was started so we can enhance and diversify the metagame, and while Greenhouse may diversify it, it is not merely “enhancing” our metagame. It is changing it into a completely different metagame.

The CAP project was the only string holding me from even touching competitive Pokemon. Now, why should I even bother? I guess it’s up to me to be ignorant or not, but I think it’s safe to say this is the last project I am participating in if Greenhouse wins. The idea of Greenhouse is much too game-breaking. The least we could have done was save it for a Pokemon who is actually fit for it, but people are too quick to judge, and they bandwagon on any idea that seems remotely “cool.”

Sorry if I was being rude, but whatever.

I'm still dying to know why you people are all voting greenhouse.

Let's have a look at all the pokemon with a Sun boosting ability, or that significantly benefit from the sun:

Chlorophyll:
Bellossom
Exeggutor
Jumpluff
Shiftry
Sunflora
Tangrowth
Tropius
Victreebel
Vileplume

Leaf Guard:
Jumpluff
Leafeon
Tangrowth

Solar Power:
Sunflora
Tropius

Honourable Mention:
Heatran
Woodman
Typlosion
(Generic fire type sweeper)

Crap.
Jumpluff under sun has enough speed to outspeed Neutral 252 SCARFED DEOXYS-E and 1 SPEED BOOST JOLLY NINJASK.

Shit.

Tangrowth says fuck you shits because he either recieves a doubled speed or gets a semi-hydration.

Not to mention that Specs Heatran now has a 591 SpA and a 270 power fire blast to work with. That's more then Explosion ffs.

Woodman itself has a 226 (no ev's, neutral nature) SpA, and it also has a 270 power fire blast, as well as a 180 power turbo charged SolarBeam.

Need anymore proof?

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
After having a LONG discussion with an undisclosed individual, I HAVE to say that yes, Greenhouse would be entirely too powerful for this thing.

I am changing my vote from Greenhouse to Pressure.

Greenhouse's 1.5* boost to this thing's Fire moves is just too much. I had a temporary lapse in judgment when I even considered this...Greenhouse completely removes all the checks I had in place for this Pokemon!!

No way, Greenhouse can in no way be put on this Pokemon.

Pressure and Scrappy are my two abilities.

Let me repeat...I know my spread better than anyone here, and I assure you, Solar Power and Greenhouse (both of which I supported for about 5 minutes lol, brain farts etc. etc.) would be EXCESSIVELY overpowered on this thing.

Please, PLEASE change your votes. The last thing I wanted was this third CaP project to be the result of another fanboyish type desire...We had our "Super cool mixed sweeper" and our "best offensive STAB can't be taken down spin blocker" Pokemon already...let's not screw up here guys...

Pressure and Scrappy would both assuredly not be broken, and would help him in separate but interesting ways.

Greenhouse and Solar Power are just overpowered.

I direct you ALL back to Karrot's brilliant post on the second page of this topic...he explains why nearly all the other abilities are essentially useless (I'm not sure what he says about Scrappy).

Please, reconsider your votes. I know my spread nearly as well as I know my girl friend...and I'm telling you, this thing would absolutely be broken with Greenhouse.

For all those Pokemon... you realize they'll only have 3 turns in the sun, right? One of the five is taken on switch in, and another switching to the other Pokemon.

Then, depending on their switch in, you can either have a Flash Fire Pokemon switch in, or something that can resist and take fire or grass attacks (depending on which type they bring in).

There's also, *gasp* PROTECT. That can remove 2 of the 3 remaining turns. Protect effectively grants 1 turn of Sunny Day under Greenhouse.

I actually never realized that Aki...

Just went back to change my vote... I simply bumped off Ghouse, and moved up Scrappy.

So now we have Rock Head and Scrappy as my vote. With these two abilities you can either go for a more sweeper oriented role, or a more support oriented role.

Greenhouse
Leaf Guard

We already have auto ice and two auto sands, why not an auto sunny day? Leaf guard just adds to the bulkieness.
Simply because ice and SS do not boost a moves power (hail might IDK), nor do they increase a pokemon's speed to near unstoppable levels.

For all those Pokemon... you realize they'll only have 3 turns in the sun, right? One of the five is taken on switch in, and another switching to the other Pokemon.

Then, depending on their switch in, you can either have a Flash Fire Pokemon switch in, or something that can resist and take fire or grass attacks (depending on which type they bring in).

There's also, *gasp* PROTECT. That can remove 2 of the 3 remaining turns. Protect effectively grants 1 turn of Sunny Day under Greenhouse.
Do people not understand this? It's not exactly the broken powerful ability you're making it out to be.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
No, I don't mean Karrot Gothic_Togekiss, don't try to be clever with me.

Seriously guys, Greenhouse on this thing is the worst idea, especially with this thing's stats.

Let me reiterate why auto-Hail doesn't even compare to auto-Sun.

Hail- 6.25% damage to non Ice's, 100% Blizzard.

Sun- Solarbeam equivalent, and then it provides a type with a power boost and removes one of its weaknesses entirely...and then provides double speed or an auto safe guard for at least 15 Pokemon...

Sand has 6.25% and *1.5 Special Defense for Rocks...

Unless you are saying that 6.25% damage per turn and one extra effect somehow even compares to a power boost both offensively and defensively for an entire TYPE and all the Pokemon who immediately become THAT much more useful (with double speed and immunity to status)...yea no.

Auto Sun (even for only 3 practical turns...I only need 3 to take down 2 Pokemon with a super Speed Exeggutor) is so much more broken than Auto Hail and Auto Sand that it isn't even funny.

Please guys, I'm begging you, reconsider.

Even ignoring the MASSIVE team benefits Auto Sun would give...just look at how ridiculous this guy becomes. Togekiss, Crobat and various other non Fire resists that might have been checks or counters before now have absolutely no chance of doing so.

95 base SpA = 317 max special attack...

If you attack with a Fire move, you are getting a 317 SpA 270 BP move being used...Look at it this way. 317*1.5 = 475. 475 SpA and 180 BP...WITHOUT choice. This thing is impossible to take down AND it gets such a massive power boost....

Comon...

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
The CAP project was the only string holding me from even touching competitive Pokemon. Now, why should I even bother? I guess it’s up to me to be ignorant or not, but I think it’s safe to say this is the last project I am participating in if Greenhouse wins. The idea of Greenhouse is much too game-breaking. The least we could have done was save it for a Pokemon who is actually fit for it, but people are too quick to judge, and they bandwagon on any idea that seems remotely “cool.”

Sorry if I was being rude, but whatever.
Need anymore proof?
I must say your theorymon skills are beyond compare. Both of you quote this stuff like it is completely obvious. The only thing obvious to me is that you obviously have not done a CAP pokemon before. Because CAP history is littered with "predictions" like this that are stated as near-fact, that turn out to be completely false.

On Revenankh, most people thought Air Lock/Moonlight was the superior combo to ShedRest. What did real actual non-theorymon playtesting reveal? ShedRest beats it by a MILE. So much so, that it borders on broken. How could all the oh-so-superior theorymon druids possibly miss this? Because, in the end, it is pure conjecture until it is playtested.

You have no idea how auto-sun will play in OU. Why do I know this? Because auto-sun has never existed in OU! So please spare me all your look-down-your-nose-on-us-befuddled-peons statements of fact and proof. Feel free to voice your vote, but don't make it sound like everyone else is a total moron for having a different opinion.

unless you carry one of maybe 3 pokemon or multiple protect users heatran will take out 2-3 of your pokemon how is that not overcentralising. Also anyone with any sense could have seen shed+rest was just as good if not better.

The more we go into this the more these are becoming fanboy pokemon. First a ultra fast mixed attacker with every move in the game like infernape isn't good enough, then OMG Fighting/Ghost combination that was only really saved by a few more experienced players judgement. Now this double stab, auto sunny dayer. Its got to the point where i am expecting the next project to be either the levitating steel/dragon or the ultra fast/130 base special boltbeamer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)