CAP 3 CAP 3 - Part 1 (Main type)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My vote is for the Flying type mainly because I feel that we should have either a mono-Flying type or a Flying/Fighting type pokemon.

I might be biased, but i still like the idea of 110/90/110/90/110/40. It can do Mixed wall, AND counter Swampy. I don't like the idea of the lower defences because it dosen't share Swampert's Resistances. I'd be interested in what you came up for with a movepool for that spread.
Don't really feel like working on a movepool until we're sure whether or not the Panda will win. Hard crafting a precisely themed movepool, and I don't like half assing things like that.

Also, Swampert's resistances aren't that great.
x2 Fire, x2 Poison, x2 Rock, x2 Steel
vs
x4 Grass, x2 Electric, x2 Steel

The only one work really noting is the Rock resistance. Also, your spread is 550 BST vs Swampert's 535, so it's naturally going to be tougher. I really think any Fire type is going to need at least 60 speed, in order to keep up with Swampert, Tyranitar, etc.

No true Breloom counter is weak to Rock AND neutral to Fighting >_>

I don't like the panda idea too much tbh, Grass type Pokemon tend to be actual plants or part plant themselves (Ludicolo, Venusaur, etc) and a Panda doesn't seem like it would fit into that mold well. Not to mention that combining Fire with that seems like putting too many things onto the same Pokemon. If we do go fire/grass, I'm still pulling for a sunflower Pokemon. It could be a Sunflora that absorbed enough heat that it's petals caught fire (flash fire?), or something along those lines. Or a pepper, if we can make that work.

It could be a Sunflora that absorbed enough heat that it's petals caught fire
Sunflora: Aww.....what a wonderful day. The sun, the sunlight. Life is grand =D
*few minutes later and her petal suddenly went ablaze*
Sunflora: HOLY SHIT!!!!!, my head is on fire D: *running around screaming*

^lol moment right there. Also I support my Flaming Porcupine idea D:

Sounds like something from the anime.

Trainer: "Blaziken, use Fire Blast!"
froom!
Sunflora evolved!
Trainer: "...wtf, my attack evolved it?"

Don't really feel like working on a movepool until we're sure whether or not the Panda will win. Hard crafting a precisely themed movepool, and I don't like half assing things like that.

Also, Swampert's resistances aren't that great.
x2 Fire, x2 Poison, x2 Rock, x2 Steel
vs
x4 Grass, x2 Electric, x2 Steel

The only one work really noting is the Rock resistance. Also, your spread is 550 BST vs Swampert's 535, so it's naturally going to be tougher. I really think any Fire type is going to need at least 60 speed, in order to keep up with Swampert, Tyranitar, etc.
Which is the disadvantage with my Spread.

Fishin said:
No true Breloom counter is weak to Rock AND neutral to Fighting >_>

I don't like the panda idea too much tbh, Grass type Pokemon tend to be actual plants or part plant themselves (Ludicolo, Venusaur, etc) and a Panda doesn't seem like it would fit into that mold well. Not to mention that combining Fire with that seems like putting too many things onto the same Pokemon. If we do go fire/grass, I'm still pulling for a sunflower Pokemon. It could be a Sunflora that absorbed enough heat that it's petals caught fire (flash fire?), or something along those lines. Or a pepper, if we can make that work.
Sunflower pokemon are GAY. And you can't really state anything as there is no 100% breloom counter atm cause nothing likes the combo of Spore, Seed Bomb, sub and FP. And there are more random things than pandas.

I still propose a giant moving Chili Pepper Plant. One giant pepper in the middle and then any number of vines leading out to smaller chili peppers/flowers. Something like a flaming spider chili pepper vine. Flame wheel go!

Again; the art is only Supplementary. SOunds awesome BTW Hyra. I'm really pushing for a bulky spread, because we need it SO bad.

I think we are really getting ahead of ourselves here. Even assuming grass wins the next poll, we have two polls ahead of us that could blow these base stats out of the water. Making suggestions and all that seems fine, but hard numbers are well beyond what we can say right now.

Either way, we have three great concepts (Chili Pepper, Panda, and Porcupine), and they could all easily obtain the same stat spread. So I say less internal struggling, since it can be built essentially the same either way, and just gauge which to be used based on which has the most usable art.

I say drop the Art and start the BST and Stat distribution discussions; we need that for now.

Also i'm only doing this because G_T's keeping this open for some reason =\

Art = movepool. Therefore, Art is not secondary.

And agreed, this thing is almost clearly in favor of fire (and those who aren't have fire as a second or third choice). Grass winning is less sure, but it almost beat out Ghost in the last thread just because of the awesomeness of Fire/Grass.

also, I like the fact that Doug can post on the main page.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Yea, I say art takes precedence over movepool, or at least the basic visual representation of the Pokemon, and BST because it really does indirectly affect both, even if it is to a smaller degree.

I'm really hoping that Fire / Grass wins out, but I am also hoping this Panda idea will be discouraged lol.

I think I prefer the giant Pepper with vines around it to the flaming Panda haha

The Sunflora idea actually formed in my head as more of a peaceful absorbtion of sunlight, and then flame suddenly sprouting, but heads catching fire are fine too.

And you can't really state anything as there is no 100% breloom counter atm cause nothing likes the combo of Spore, Seed Bomb, sub and FP. And there are more random things than pandas.
True, but type and ability-wise our Pokemon will be basically on the same level of Breloom counter as Noctowl. It's hard to call anything a counter to Breloom when it risks taking a 225 bp attack from 130 base attack neutrally unless it's very, very bulky. Most things that people use as counters to Breloom (Celebi, Weezing, Cress) are resistant to fighting and neutral to rock.

Also i'm only doing this because G_T's keeping this open for some reason =\
Alright, since you're so eager I might as well get those poll ASAP, but first the secondary type poll because we have to stick with the guildline.

Final Tally since it's clear no one else is voting.

Bug: 0
Dark: 3 (2.8%)
Dragon: 0
Electric: 22 (20.75%)
Fighting: 0
Fire: 49 (46.22%)
Flying: 1 (0.94%)
Ghost: 0
Grass: 7 (6.6%)
Ground: 0
Ice: 1 (0. 94%)
Normal: 3 (2.8%)
Poison: 18 (16.9%)
Psychic: 0
Rock: 1 (0.94%)
Steel: 0
Water: 1 (0.94%)

I'll get the secondary type poll done ASAP.

Edit: Added percentage.

This is exactly what I was afraid would happen. The concept I had in mind has been completely discounted before I thought was the right time to debate about it.

Name: [Lion Pokemon]
Type: Fire/Grass
Stats: Balanced
Attack: Physical
Defense: Special

BS: 104/115/73/73/115/50
BST 530

Ability: (male) Intimidate, (female) Chlorophyll
I played up the idea of a male's flaming mane as a fearsome sight. The low speed draws form a lion's reputation for lethargy, but I gave the females an opportunity for a boost since real lionesses do the majority of the hunting.

HP/Def/SDef: Females are like Hippowdon only inverted to favor SDef, and slightly weaker overall. Males are more like Gyrados with less Atk.

Atk/SAtk: It's not doing anything with that SAtk, but its Atk is plenty high enough for hard hits (better than Infernape).

Speed: Standard wall speed unless you go for the female. On a sun team, she makes it up to 100Spd and has the movepool to take out Hippowdon, Tyranitar, Abomasnow, and incoming Rain Dancers.

Same base stats allow for both SpecWall and Sweeping capabilities.
Its not even overpoweringly unpredictable since the males and females would look different.

There are indeed limitless possibilities for a fire type, for that matter, any type. I just cannot see what role this new fire type will be fufilling until at least the secondary type. What i can see happening is a totally new role if people put their heads together; Breaking outside the mold of Sweeper/Wall/Annoyer would be good. What i'm trying to imply is that within the Sweeper/Wall/Annoyer mold I cannot see what role this fire type will be fufilling That will Actually work and has not already been filled.
Fire has two big enemies water and ground. Water is the most common type in the game. Earthquake is probably the most common physical attack in the game. What role can a new fire type fill it can fill role of the only fire type that doesn't get raped water or ground(yes I am ignoring moltres and charizard).Also I think they have been two attempts on defensive fire type I think Heatran and Torkoal. Torkoal failed miserably at being a defensive type and Heatran success comes more from attacking and versatility than being a defensive build.

Syclant is an attacker, Rev is balance type, and we have a great chance to make a defense based fire type that works which is very unique. If we do it right it will be like nothing else in game. I see three types that help fire escape the trap of failure.

Fire/Water-gives a buffer against ground

Fire/Grass-gives an offensive advantage against rock, water and ground which is highly appealing

Fire/Dragon- gives a buffer against water

You add the right trait probably something new and you have something unlike any other pokemon.

Finally you guys are looking so rigidly at the process. You are looking like "hmm what animal could be fire or what plant could stand being on fire”. Sometimes you have to think out of the box Ludicolo is Mexican pineapple duck thing, a fire grass could be a Mexican pepper gopher looking thing. This is not the real world step your imagination up.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
@chronostrike, lol, your idea hasn't been discounted at all...we are merely in the inital poll

@luck, I have idea what you are going on about (in your last paragraph). We merely first choosing to use real world applications; nothing has been said about not using arbitrary applications.

Grass, since it is the type laughed at with its Jumpluffs and Vileplumes and none of the grass starters really give it much hope.

I am really liking the thought of what a Sunflora evo could look like. To people who say sunflowers are gay, that doesn't mean the evo can't be badass--just look at what happened to Yanma! A flaming plant poke just sounds really cool. It would have an attitude to--like Tangrowth's sprite just looks like its saying "bring it on!" Sunflora's evo could look pissed off for being previously worthless, and ready to burn those that once mocked it >:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)