CAP 4 CAP 4 - Sprite Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I finally found a good color for the shinies. And I finished my backsprites. Woo hoo. Here is the entire set:

I think they turned out pretty good. The backsprites were so much easier to make since I didn't need to worry about all those freaking arms. :D I'll probably still keep working on perfecting them(shading, pixel errors, etc., especially for the front set), but for the most part they're done. Again, any and all comments, criticizm, etc. is very much appreciated ( especially since these sprites haven't gotten much attention at all <:'( ), it all helps.

Wow, Wyverii. You're sprite looks so nice and clean, if you know what I mean (omg, it got rhymes). My only imput is to make the two legs in the back slightly more viewable in that empty space in between the front two legs so that it looks less like Handymon's balancing only on those two arms.

EDIT: EM, I love your sprite as well. Although, I'd change the design of that small peice of ground to something more similiar to the ground under Digglet and Dugtrio, just so that it'll look even more official IMO.

Now I think I like Elevator Music's sprites more, although the difference is minimal. I think the decisive point in his favor is the more dynamic pose. Wyverii's is more static.

But I'm really torn between the two. I think this is the first time in the CAP project I like two sprites so much and so evenly.

Ok, I finally found a good color for the shinies. And I finished my backsprites. Woo hoo. Here is the entire set:

I think they turned out pretty good. The backsprites were so much easier to make since I didn't need to worry about all those freaking arms. :D I'll probably still keep working on perfecting them(shading, pixel errors, etc., especially for the front set), but for the most part they're done. Again, any and all comments, criticizm, etc. is very much appreciated ( especially since these sprites haven't gotten much attention at all <:'( ), it all helps.
I know how it feels man, so I'll tell you exactly what I think about your sprite.

First of all, I really REALLY like your back sprite. The head and the arm, that's everything you need for this guy -- all bases covered as far as I'm concerned. If there was anything you needed to fix, I'd say it is the thumb -- oh, and maybe the shadows on the finger segmentation should be simplified? Moving on...

The front has a few things I like, and don't like. First of all, I think the left side and the two feet in the ground (my left) are way too mechanical. There are too many perfectly straight/diagonal limbs that it feels a bit off when you compare it to the right. I do like the work you did on his other side though, it needs more of that. Try to take into account WHERE the limbs are coming from on his body, I see a few that would have to be longer than the others to be where they are (for example, look at the higher diagonal limb, it would actually have to start lower and be a bit shorter to be consistant with the body).

I think the colors should be less harsh, on the non-shiny version the face has some powerful shadows. Perhaps you can cut back on the saturation too a bit?

It's pretty cool though, just a few things to fix :)

I know how it feels man, so I'll tell you exactly what I think about your sprite.

First of all, I really REALLY like your back sprite. The head and the arm, that's everything you need for this guy -- all bases covered as far as I'm concerned. If there was anything you needed to fix, I'd say it is the thumb -- oh, and maybe the shadows on the finger segmentation should be simplified? Moving on...

The front has a few things I like, and don't like. First of all, I think the left side and the two feet in the ground (my left) are way too mechanical. There are too many perfectly straight/diagonal limbs that it feels a bit off when you compare it to the right. I do like the work you did on his other side though, it needs more of that. Try to take into account WHERE the limbs are coming from on his body, I see a few that would have to be longer than the others to be where they are (for example, look at the higher diagonal limb, it would actually have to start lower and be a bit shorter to be consistant with the body).

I think the colors should be less harsh, on the non-shiny version the face has some powerful shadows. Perhaps you can cut back on the saturation too a bit?

It's pretty cool though, just a few things to fix :)
Thanks, It's good to get some feedback. I noticed the mechanical thing too, I've been trying to fix that. It's partly because I have been trying to fit the legs in the picture(which is why the front leg is on the ground in a fist, not a flat hand). I'm going to take your suggestions and put them to work. Will try to have everything perfected and post it tomorrow. Thanks. :D

Wyverii, that's an awesome submission. Great work!

I've been pondering the Daddy Long Legs (DLL from here on out) since it became apparent that he'd be the design. I don't know if a post like this is illegal or not for this thread, but if it is, feel free to delete it.

So here's some things to think about when you're spriting.

DLL's a hands guy. That's easily apparent. That's really what people voted on here, the hands. That's what made him look like a "utility" Pokemon, whatever utility Pokemon are supposed to look like.

The funny thing about hands is that they're highly expressive. They're very human, and the way they're positioned expresses a lot. Hell, we have an entire hand-language. We understand hands. A fist shows aggression, an open hand the opposite. The way in which you position him and his hands is going to change the way he's going to come across.

Look at the original picture:

His hands are in fists and coming towards you. It's aggressive, and physically so. The same goes for the stance. He looks like he's going to jump at you. That's why a lot of people were complaining about the high Special Attack, compared to the lower Attack. It's all in the positioning.

Compare that to something like this:

Suddenly the very same design becomes far less aggressive, far more mystical, and the Special Attack fits better. I didn't change a single aspect of the Pokemon, I just changed the body language. Another plus to something like this is that the image becomes a lot more square, and thus easier to fit in the sprite restrictions. The little gem thing on his forehead kinda fits with the whole Hindu god thing going on here too.

By shrinking the arms just a little, the body becomes a lot larger in relation. That was also an issue with the original picture; it looked too frail. By sucking in the arms a bit, the body becomes larger and sturdier in comparison. The super long arms and itty bitty body just look waaay too breakable, and don't fit the defenses.

Another thing you might want to play with is those wrist band thingies. Change that part of the color scheme to something like gold or whatever, and they turn in shackles, like the ones worn by Disney's Genie, which again pulls in more mystical attributes.

I also really like the idea that the DLL can retract his arms. One reason I've already stated; it allows the size relation between body and arms to change, making the Pokemon look less frail. Here's another one:

By retracting its arms all of the way, its hands and spikes can completely protect it, rationalizing those awesome defenses we gave it. Meanwhile it could still, at any moment, pop out those massive arms and slap around an opponent.

All I'm getting at it play around with the concept. You guys get creative license with it.

Good luck everyone!

Absolution, you're exactly right.
I love that pose you've made.
I would have replied to this earlier in the thread, but I haven't been able to get on in a while.

Actually, the "badass" look mostly comes from the facial features influencing how you're interpreting the signs. The hand with fingers curled slightly can be both a positive or negative gesture depending on how you interpret it. It can mean, "come over here" or it can be a gesture of giving. The face influences it towards the former because of the smirk. Still i'm fond of how I did the face so i'm not going to change it unless there are more complaints.

I didn't consider it that way at first glance but now I see what you mean, so I understand why you made it that way. You could turn the smirk into a full smile to tip things in the favour of the positive gesture but I understand why you wouldn't do it if you decide not to. Don't get me wrong though, I really like this sprite.

Another thing ( and this is likely the last thing I have to nitpick about ), I like the colours you used for your shinies, and think they're the most well-coordinated and "normal" looking so far ( clever of you to borrow it from Nidoqueen/the Bats ). But I was thinking it would look better if you switched the greens with the lilacs, as it looks a little "backwards" at the moment. I tried doing so myself ( just to see how it would look, I won't post them because I don't have your permission ) in Paint and I think it looked better with the colours reversed.

With your permission, I could post it to demonstrate/so you don't have to go to the trouble of doing it yourself, but if you're firm on the positioning of the colours I'll stfu about it. Again, really like the sprite, and I'll be rooting for you when the polls come around.

P.S., does anyone remember when KoA said he'd be back from his trip? I hate to think he'll be missing all this.

Oh, to Elevator Music:
I'm not sure if tennis was trying to tell you this earlier, or I'm bringing it up for the first time, but I think your sprite would look better with a lighter color for the main "body" part. Where the head is located.
It looks to dark for my taste.

Oddly enough, I never even thought about it being similar to Nidoqueen/bats. I just followed my line of thought on poisonous colours (acid green, blue to complement, etc). If you'd prefer it the other way round no biggie, they're just shiny colours but i've made adjustments to the sprites so the version you've made isn't up to date. ;p

Anyway, back legs lowered again. I've not added any hand(s) yet to the back pose since i'm still brainstorming but i've got the basic body down. Did some dithering to make it look more Pokemon-ish. I'm willing for people to throw different hand positions at me since i've not got anything set in stone yet.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Looks great, the one nitpick I have is that the "gun" hand should be the other way, with the Thumb at the top.

Wyverii, I really like the back sprite, but I think you should try to just squeeze one hand in since I want a bit more emphasis on the hands, it'll look cool too if you don't over-size it. (Please don't :P)

tennis: Aww heck. I knew I got one of them the wrong way round. I'll fix it after the back sprite's finished. Many thanks.

Assassin: If you read my above post you'd know that I'm going to. It's just rather difficult to get anything in there without it being awkward so i'm just getting feedback before I do much more.

Wiverii > all in spriting... but i think it should have a few more arms... 6 isnt much.. maybe 1 more pair. Come on girl, its an arm pokemon

Thank you both but *facepalms* Pombo, they're all there. You might not have noticed the two at the back. I can't shift them much further without making it look off balance and trust me that isn't easy to do with eight hands. Can't be perfect eh?

Awesome work, Wyverii, as usual.

One little thing, though. Shouldn't he be looking to the left, not the right? Pretty sure all front Pokemon sprites look to the left, because they're facing the player.

Legacy Raider

sharpening his claws, slowly
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Can someone please let me know what the deadline for the sprite submissions is? I've started on a design that i think has quite a bit of potential, but i am a slow worker and it would take a long time to do.
Thanks.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Awesome work, Wyverii, as usual.

One little thing, though. Shouldn't he be looking to the left, not the right? Pretty sure all front Pokemon sprites look to the left, because they're facing the player.
It's facing left and looking straight, which is fine.

Can someone please let me know what the deadline for the sprite submissions is? I've started on a design that i think has quite a bit of potential, but i am a slow worker and it would take a long time to do.
Thanks.
The deadline isn't for a couple weeks, you have plenty of time.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I like a lot of the sprites (Wyverii is my current fave), but I don't really like the hands on any of the sprites I've seen so far. I decided to make my own sprite to see if the hands could be done the way I envisioned it. I'm happy with how the hands turned out, but the rest is kinda meh. I spent enough time on this that I wanted to post it, but I don't think I will take the time to make this a full-fledged submission. Anyway, here's my take on how the hands on this thing should be done.

Huge WIP

I'll explain some things:
Its being held up by one hand's finger.
It's giving itself a high five.
It's holding two hands together.
It's holding a fist. (which I need to fix up a bit)
It's saying "stop!"
And it has a casual hand.

I'll give you an outline and some shading tomorrow.

Finally figured out my back sprite. I'm outlining it right now.

Hmm.... Doug, the biggest thing that bugs me about you sprite is the eyes and how the two hands are basically opposite in shading. Though I guess that's jsut because the one hand looks a tad too bright while the other looks a tad too dark. Maybe make the color range a bit smaller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)