Your favourite part of Smogon (A holy fuck I post way too much thread)

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So it turns out that three and a half years down the road from joining this site about competitive Pokemon I find myself with entirely too many posts and a laundry list of Smogon memories. Thinking back on my time here it seems there's always been one constant that's kept me invested in Smogon as the perfect time waster. IRC is my favourite part of Smogon. I've made so many friends through irc, pulling off of so many different interests. There's been good times (DRUNK channel things with Jelli, ranting about the latest bullshit, watching some masterful trolls), and bad times (overheated RU suspect discussions, full out bitchfights, #is), but the people on irc keep me coming back day after day.

IRC has left me with some terrific memories too. I remember a user by the name of MoltenKyurem showing up a year and a half ago and being impressed by his boundless enthusiasm for Pokemon. I got a major kick out of his antics and interactions with people, as a kid who just wanted to have fun. Most people know his regression after that to pariah for being annoying on irc and a general troll, but its been a great thing to have been able to watch him grow and mature over irc into the single greatest contributor to the Rarelyused community today.

Then there have been the infamous arguments and debates that occur weekly at the least. RU has certainly had its share, between clashes among QC members arguing over sets and personal drama. Anyone who frequents the channel knows how frequent and heated the Nidoqueen arguments got during its suspect discussion. Tensions rose to unprecedented levels over a single suspect. Even in #is when a controversial topic arose, there would be people on both sides of the issue willing to fight to the bitter end. And yet, these arguments are as much a part of Smogon as anything else. One of the unique things baout it is the fact that nowhere else can you have intense, well thought out arguments over whether Nidoqueen is broken or not because of its Speed stat. And when the arguments are all said and done people can find common ground among the fact that they all care for the health and well being of the part of the site they love the most.

At any rate, IRC has been my single favourite part of Smogon and I want to know what YOUR favourite part has been? It can be something where you had your favourite memory of the site, or simply the place you enjoy yourself the most.

You know who you are.

Special Shoutouts:
Molk - Its been a pleasure man. I've seen you at every step of the way on your Smogon journey and nothing makes me prouder of the direction you're heading and the youth you've matured into. You are the future my friend.
#rarelyused - Smogon wouldn't be the same without you. I've gotten into full out bitchfights with each and every one of you at some point or another but we all love this tier and that's an unbreakable bond. SilentVerse, blarajan, Oglemi, august and the rest of you guys, no matter which way the tier goes we'll be along for the ride.
#capasb - Who would have thought that a random excursion into a new area of the site in June '11 would have lasted this long. You guys are great and I've had arguments and discussions here to rival any. Truth be told ASB is one of the big reasons I keep coming back, the strategy element is a huge draw.
#grammar - Everyone left :( Even so the old-gaurd, you guys were true friends. I hope you come back to the site every once in a while.
#frogs - I never thought myself much of a tournament player. You guys have been a huge part of the reason SPL has been some of the most fun I've ever had on Smogon. FROG$LYFE! We'll come back next year with batter luck and kick some ass!

I'd give forum wide shoutouts but chances are I talk to you daily on irc, you all know who you are. You, the users, my friends, are the heart of Smogon.

Call-outs:
Kokoloko wanted me to call out people I dislike but I don't carry grudges so I can't think of people I hate :s. I'll see what happens I guess.

windsong - We've hashed out our differences I think. I respect you and your ability, but I don't respect the attitude towards things that comes with it.
Captain Kirby - You're a weirdly intelligent guy and believe it or not I like talking to you. I also like listening to you bitch when you decide that your standpoint is morally self-righteous when my claim is that your premise is flawed.
Haters - nyahhh i'm (probably) doing better in SPL than you!!!111!!!!11!
!

Seriously though there's so many people I would love to shout-out / call out but there's no way I could remember you all.

SMOGON PORRA <3

gdi I should have done another Challenge Cup warstory like my 2k

My favorite part of smogon is #smogon on Sunday nights at 9 P.M with Macle. <3

This forum is my second favorite of Smogon, But only when it doesn't have triple posts by az, threads about controversial issues found on the front page of CNN, and 50 "Official x" threads on the front page.

the only thing that happens there nowadays is you or layell posting spambots....

but man texas, holy shit 5k, grats et cetera.

i'd have to agree btw, IRC is really fun and i don't think i'd still be here without it (or many other people for that matter). clear winner for sure!

For me I would say its smogon overall leniency and its laid back attitude. I laugh when I see people on other forums say that smogon is strict. If you spent anytime on the community, you know that isn't the case. This view of mine is generally looking at "eh forum" where it is one of the most relaxed and fun social part of any Pokemon site. If you take a look at other Pokemon forums (mostly bulbagarden) it's basically oppressive and the users there are unbelievably easy to offend. Most of us would be banned if we made the same post we do here some other place. Smogon overall is such a unique community.

Also bandwagonin' with saying that irc is awesome too. Met some great people and still am. Really makes assimilating into smogon faster and enjoyable.

Edit; also congrats Texas on the 5k. I only talked with you a couple times but you seem like an awesome RU player. I love how heated the Nidoqueen suspect got

Fishy

tits McGee (๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)
your signature is perfect for your post

congrats texas!!!!!!

edit: oh right um, my favorite part of smogon is and has always been the people. i've made great friends here etc and sometimes i wonder what my present day life might be like had i never visited this website. it would be astronomically different, that much is a fact, and that realization is sometimes as scary as it is mystifying

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
congrats Texas :>

I think it's obvious but C&C and RU are my favorite parts of Smogon :3

also any section with sandz or Jelli in it a.a

New World Order

Licks Toads
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
O.o Dude you had like 1.5k posts a year ago at this time. I'd also have to say Jellicent's #grammar antics, among others, was the best part. :)

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
I'm only still around for fantasy sports, sports threads and the #lifting lads. That's it.

Congratulations man! Any fellow Ravens supporter is cool in my book :-)

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Congrats Texas!

Recently, I've focused more of my attention on PS! and the awesome people there, and the awesome experiences I have interacting with people via battles / chat. I feel as if Smogon really wouldn't be as awesome as it is without its very own simulator!

The forums themselves are pretty great too. The people here are all cool and respectful- something you don't usually see in higher-ups irl. It's a nice place to chill, post your ideas about a topic, and contribute to the discussion.

I'm not really an irc person but the times I've gone on irc were pretty fun too. Many of my very first friends were made on irc.

Long live Smogon!

I personally like the laid back attitude on it, and how they get people to contribute and be a part of something big. It feels like you're actually doing something helpful and it feels good. The people here are really friendly and overall it's just a fun experience.

Personally I LOVE Smogcraft and its users. So much fun on that server.... And the potential cuby lawsuits that come out of that server...

Trinitrotoluene

young ☆nd foolish
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
For some reason talking about Naruto with friends from a Pokemon community is more fun than talking about Naruto with Naruto-nerds in a Naruto forum.

There's something to be said about being comfortable with a community you know.
This part of Chou's response really resonates with me, but in addition to this, alongside being able to discuss Bleach freely with fellow Pokemon fans, I love the RMT sub-forum, since it shows what people can bring about when they are willing to share. In addition, RMT has helped me learn how to pinpoint errors in teams and help correct them. While I won't be rating any Pokemon teams IRL any time soon, this has helped me in my analytic ability. In the case of people, I've had the pleasure of meeting some great people in RMT (Delko, Novaray, Jirachi, and Superpowerdude among others) who have helped me integrate myself more into the community. The C&C OU sub-forum is fun for me to go through as well, since it exercises my ability to write effectively, something which has helped me immensely in my English classes. The OU sub-forum is fun to read through every once in a while as well.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
^Yeah I was gonna say didn't we just have one of these topics? Incidentally, it was also a 5k post.

my favourite part of smogon is rodan
this indeed takes up much of smogon's overall surface area

my favorite part of smogon is little cup

else i wouldn't be here

also ps texas i hate ru

any tier led by silentverse is shit in my book

I'm going to be generic and say the users. This place is way different than it was a few years ago, and I think the users are the main reason.

Smeargle's Studio and irc. Old #grammar, #thesmog, #smeargle etc.
Congrats on the 5k Texas :) Your post count confirms asb as pc++ in its most pure form

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)