What makes Smogon fun for you?

Mafeking

channels his inner Wolverine
is a Contributor Alumnus
posting Josh Hutcherson gifs to Oglesworth's wall is pretty fun

But back when I was super active last year, I'm gonna have to echo Nix. The written components of Smogon are definitely the most interesting and fun.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Let's C

-Contributing to C&C is a ton of fun. The magic still hasn't worn off

-IRC is a big one, this community is too awesome

-Drama. It's a guilty pleasure of mine, but Smogon drama is fun to watch

-Playing on our simulators. Not as fun as when I first started, but I still enjoy it (especially UU)

Congrats Oglemi, I'm glad you've enjoyed your time here. For me, the key things are-

Team Tournaments: Getting together with good / new friends and helping each other get better nonstop is a lot of fun.

Team Rating / Tutoring: These places I get to see creativity of other users and help them maximize it. Team Rating IMO is as good as it gets reward vs work when you find the hidden gems.

Daily Competition: This is more of a thing I wish I could enjoy- it's honestly really hard to arse anyone to play any meta with you all day unless its BW2 OU, which is... not quite as good in any way as most other metas. Even a ladder of new guys with a loose idea of what they're doing would make me much happier than whatever abomanations are currently occupying PS!

Community: The personality of Smogon has always been much more interesting to me than any other web community- it was incredibly refreshing to see the only rule on the battle simulator as "Don't be an idiot" fresh off of exploring the internet ghettos. History wise Smogon may just be the most appealing community on the web.

It's also easy to make lasting connections here. I am annoyed by the common culture of forming complete opinions on users based on stories / name / group before meeting and the paranoia that seems to make people take everything as an insult, but the pros are very far ahead of the cons.

Grats ogles <3
I love how Smogon is so varied, with so many facets to contribute and have fun in, from Smeargle's studio (<3) to a forum to rmt to everything.

Also the people her make the time so much better. Meeting and greeting lovely people on the forums and irc is so much fun and makes the time so enjoyable :)

michael

m as in mancy
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Meeting and greeting lovely people on the forums and irc is so much fun and makes the time so enjoyable :)
Ritter on my profile said:
helo sorry im a new user but is this the right place to post?? I just want 2 know how ps is going, coz I rlly need it than you so if u cud work faster for me im pretty bored thanks mokkle
i call shenanigans, starting VM spam smh

but yeah, that kind of thing i love about smogon. one little joke in a staff irc chan snowballed into general hilarity and it was just a good laugh all round.

yeah, i've made mistakes on here, some bigger than others, but it's a great place to spend (too much) time.

I'm new here because I rediscovered Pokemon recently (I played 1st and 2nd gen as a child, forget about it for years thinking it was dead and found out like a year ago that Pokemon still exists and there's a strong community for competitive battling).

I like how it's called "University". I work at a University and it's quite similar to smogon : there is this studying and experimenting in smogon. I'm not a competitive person, I don't plan on going to the tops of ladders and tournament, I just like to try original pokemon and strats.

Hi everyone :3

Smogon's community is also particularly mature, which is not something you'd expect from a site dedicated to Pokemon, of all things. I've always been so insecure about my love for the game, but here I've met so many awesome people on this site that are all so similar to me. I feel welcomed and belonging to a community of people in an aspect of my life that I wouldn't normally get to have. I mean, I have a lot of friends irl, but none of them would ever be able to have a conversation about why Nidoqueen may or may not be broken in RU...
This has been a good surprise for me. Pokemon is known as a kid's game but people I met in the forum or in Showdown seems very mature compared to other games. I used to play Runescape a lot (random MMORPG if anyone knows) and the community is horrible : people keep complaining, are obsessed by money and levels, most cheat, many elitist arrogants, etc. I'm glad the smogon community is not like that :).

I love Smogon because of the variety of topics and the insights of many people make the posts fun to follow.

I'm not one of those people...I made an account a long time ago but didn't really start exploring until just recently.

Basically, I'm a "lurker" right now, but that will change as I learn. :)

v

protected by a silver spoon
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
oglemi i just want to thank you for increasing my postcount by one so someday i can make a #k which includes you, thereby flinging you one post forward to your next...the circle of xk threads...

also hope you have like 7k more because you're cool or something

xenu

Banned deucer.
when i first joined i would browse greatest hits to learn all about Smogon.com/forums/ Culture, but i soon found that 'a forum' was nothing like the smogon of yore. now im just biding my time until another golden age comes by. it's fun only sometimes

Reading the opinions of people on various topics. I rarely participate in discussion myself, but it's cool to see how some convos fold out.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
I'm just here out of habit. All my online friends have been a part of the pokemon community, I've just played for a long time and am really good at it, etc. Sad to say that the community's penchant for banning everything remotely good has dissuaded me from seriously playing the newer generations, so all I'm left with is oldgens. :( But the strategy of the game is still very interesting to me and SPL has me a bit more active around here lately. I mostly just post in the LoL thread and sit on IRC.

The main reason that I enjoy smogon is due to the fact that the community is amazing and I rarely have any intelligent discussions from anywhere outside of IRC, the forums, and the PS! chat

Trinitrotoluene

young ☆nd foolish
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
For some reason talking about Naruto with friends from a Pokemon community is more fun than talking about Naruto with Naruto-nerds in a Naruto forum.

There's something to be said about being comfortable with a community you know.
This part of Chou's response really resonates with me, but in addition to this, alongside being able to discuss Bleach freely with fellow Pokemon fans, I love the RMT sub-forum, since it shows what people can bring about when they are willing to share. In addition, RMT has helped me learn how to pinpoint errors in teams and help correct them. While I won't be rating any Pokemon teams IRL any time soon, this has helped me in my analytic ability, pinpointing fallacies in the logic of others. In the case of people, I've had the pleasure of meeting some great people in RMT (Delko, Novaray, Jirachi, and Superpowerdude among others) who have helped me integrate myself more into the community. The C&C OU sub-forum is fun for me to go through as well, since it exercises my ability to write effectively, something which has helped me immensely in my English classes. The OU sub-forum is fun to read through every once in a while as well.

69th reply what

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)