VGC 2015: Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer

Status
Not open for further replies.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
This is the simple question, simple answer thread. He asked a simple question. You gave a simple answer. If you don't want to give people answers, then don't post here.

I read on bulbapedia that Hurricane, Thunder, and other not important moves deal double damage to pokemon in the air. I tried testing it out and it didn't, was this changed in gen 6 or is it a bug or something or was bulbapedia wrong?

No, I tested on AlphaSapphire, so I assume it no longer deals double damage or was it supposed to?
Don't know but it's really a non-issue as you don't see moves like fly, bounce, or sky drop outside cheesy teams. And thunder isn't the best move to use outside rain.

Don't know but it's really a non-issue as you don't see moves like fly, bounce, or sky drop outside cheesy teams. And thunder isn't the best move to use outside rain.
I tried making a skydrop hurricane team, and I noticed I wasn't hitting things as hard as it should have on online battles, so testing it further revealed that it didn't deal double damage. I guess knowing if this was removed, is a bug, or bulbapedia was wrong about it doesn't change the fact I can't use this team anymore, but I was mostly curious.

how do i look up premier challenges in my area, and is there any way I can see a list of premier challenges that took place in the past year?

how do i look up premier challenges in my area, and is there any way I can see a list of premier challenges that took place in the past year?
I don't know about the list of Premier Challenges that took place this year, but I can redirect you to the Event Locator for your first question. You probably won't find too much there atm, because the season is over and we wait to hear when and where tournaments and Premier Challenges will happen the next season.

I'd suggest trying to see if there is a facebook page for your local state/country pokemon players and see if they post schedules for that sort of stuff. There is a group that does it for where I live but it might not be the same else where. Like Ksh said though, your best bet is using the event locator

I'd suggest trying to see if there is a facebook page for your local state/country pokemon players and see if they post schedules for that sort of stuff. There is a group that does it for where I live but it might not be the same else where. Like Ksh said though, your best bet is using the event locator
In the competitive smash community, there is a decent sort of directory for facebook groups by region. Does such a thing exist for vgc? I've searched facebook for "north carolina pokemon" (I'm currently living in NC) with no luck.

In the competitive smash community, there is a decent sort of directory for facebook groups by region. Does such a thing exist for vgc? I've searched facebook for "north carolina pokemon" (I'm currently living in NC) with no luck.
No idea, if there is then it's well hidden. If there isn't then there should be.

Got a quick question, after a bunch of tries I have breed a HP ice Mareep IVs: 31/31/31/31/31/8, since I'm using this for trick room these are pretty good IVS however cause I'm so smart I forgot to breed quiet onto it so it's a modest, I've done some calcs and my amphy will hit 53 in speed after lv with 50 no Spe investment, is there anything I'm not underspeeding that I could be with a better nature or can I go with this?

So, I kinda want to put together my first VGC team for next year to try and compete, but I feel very...restricted in my team choices. It seems like, in order to be competitive, I have to use some combination of Landorus-T, Heatran, Thundurus, and Mega Kangaskhan (and possibly Cresselia, too). I love Mega Kangaskhan to bits, but I kinda want to switch things up a little and use Mega Gardevoir, Mega Gengar, or Mega Salamence, along with maybe some other team members. Is there any advice on how to do this and remain competitively viable? Side note: I have no way to sav pokémon. Any potential legendaries (like Heatran, Lando, Terrakion, etc.) will have to be SRed.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Got a quick question, after a bunch of tries I have breed a HP ice Mareep IVs: 31/31/31/31/31/8, since I'm using this for trick room these are pretty good IVS however cause I'm so smart I forgot to breed quiet onto it so it's a modest, I've done some calcs and my amphy will hit 53 in speed after lv with 50 no Spe investment, is there anything I'm not underspeeding that I could be with a better nature or can I go with this?
If you want to get those IVs and you have another quiet 'mon with 5 IVs (missing speed) that is in its egg group, I suggest breeding it with said Pokémon, giving the Mareep a Power Anklet and the partner Pokémon the Destiny Knot. This way, you have a reasonably high chance of gaining identical IVs to your current Mareep. I'm not a TR player, so I don't experiment with underspeeding things on my offensive 'mons outside of when using Aegislash, so I can't answer your question sadly.

However, I don't really see what your aim is with running HP Ice on Amphy, as STAB Dragon Pulse KOs all of the dragons while also dealing more than enough damage to Ground-types if it absolutely needs to hit them (not that you should be taking them on directly anyway, with Protect or switching usually being a better option in this situation), and I feel that Ampharos would benefit much more from something like Focus Blast and Protect as opposed to HP Ice and Protect.

If you want to get those IVs and you have another quiet 'mon with 5 IVs (missing speed) that is in its egg group, I suggest breeding it with said Pokémon, giving the Mareep a Power Anklet and the partner Pokémon the Destiny Knot. This way, you have a reasonably high chance of gaining identical IVs to your current Mareep. I'm not a TR player, so I don't experiment with underspeeding things on my offensive 'mons outside of when using Aegislash, so I can't answer your question sadly.

However, I don't really see what your aim is with running HP Ice on Amphy, as STAB Dragon Pulse KOs all of the dragons while also dealing more than enough damage to Ground-types if it absolutely needs to hit them (not that you should be taking them on directly anyway, with Protect or switching usually being a better option in this situation), and I feel that Ampharos would benefit much more from something like Focus Blast and Protect as opposed to HP Ice and Protect.
I know how breeding and whatnot works but the rest was pretty much what I was thinking but didn't wanna admit, I dunno my original reason for wanti hp ice but evrything u said made perfect sense, thanks dude :D

So, I kinda want to put together my first VGC team for next year to try and compete, but I feel very...restricted in my team choices. It seems like, in order to be competitive, I have to use some combination of Landorus-T, Heatran, Thundurus, and Mega Kangaskhan (and possibly Cresselia, too). I love Mega Kangaskhan to bits, but I kinda want to switch things up a little and use Mega Gardevoir, Mega Gengar, or Mega Salamence, along with maybe some other team members. Is there any advice on how to do this and remain competitively viable? Side note: I have no way to sav pokémon. Any potential legendaries (like Heatran, Lando, Terrakion, etc.) will have to be SRed.
You don't have to use Mega Kangaskhan in any way. The megas you listed there are all fair options if you want to build a really good team (mega gengar is not the best around though, but it is awesome for PerishTrap). To build a team around one of those megas, you don't really do things much differently than you do when you build around Kangaskhan, other than the fact that you will need to think a bit more about patching up the weaknesses (typing-wise) that the mega has, since they have more weaknesses than Kang, which only has Fighting.

Mega MixMence (Double Edge + Hyper Voice) combined with Lando-T is pretty potent, but you will obviously need something to handle bulky Waters and Ice moves (Rotom-W, Amoonguss, Virizion, and Raikou pop to mind), and you'll probably want Aegislash, Bisharp, or TTar to smash Cresselia (commonly runs Ice moves, gives minimal fucks about Mence/Lando-T/Electric or Grass types). Thundurus is helpful on pretty much any team, but running 3 Flying types is a liability.
If you can get a core of 2-4 pokemon the Teambuilding Workshop can help finish the rest.
Gardevoir, I never used the Mega, only ever used AssVest bulky support sets myself so I don't have much suggestion beyond "Mega Gardevoir + Heatran + Tailwind or TR".

You absolutely do NOT have to use a combination of those things. I mean, Kang and best friends of Kang are just well known for being consistent options that can take on a diverse set of team archetypes (just take a look at the teams that top cut at Worlds' 2015 with some combination of Kang and company; there's quite a bit of diversity between the sets depending on the players' playstyle and what they felt would be critical to deal with in a Worlds metagame even though a lot of the teams looked similar at face value). I honestly think those teams were the most successful this year at Worlds' because so many people brought weird stuff that wouldn't necessarily be consistent in a best of three setting, and I don't think the Western world felt they had to prepare for Kang as much this year as everybody last year had a way to take a giant shit on it by the time Worlds came, and they probably thought that Kang would suffer the same fate this year (a mistake that the Japanese players exploited; plus, there are a lot more options that can get rid of Kang's checks and counters that it was still very viable at Worlds). If the format stays the same in 2016, those teams may or may not be as viable as they might seem like they are now as people will have ways to deal with it. Just use what you want and what you're comfortable with (if you plan on going to tournaments, use things that you like or use to using that are viable or use something you think has a viable niche for your team).

There are a lot of sample teams online that you can use as inspiration for building around the megas that you want to use. The Team Building Workshop that ProjectTitan313 pointed out would be a great resource for you provided that you give the users there a core or mega for them to work with. From what I've seen on Battle Spot and other forums, Mega Salamence is quite popular in Sand (just look up Japanese sand teams as Japan pretty much popularized that team archetype), and Sand teams can generally deal with anything the metagame can throw at it if you play correctly. For Mega Gardevoir, I know a core of Garde + Amoonguss + Heatran + Scrafty is a fantastic Trick Room core that's often complemented by Landorus-T and some other filler (also, again, look at the Worlds teams that top cut as many of those teams used Mega Gardevoir, which can give you some inspiration). If you haven't made a VGC team before, Mega Gengar is a bit more difficult to build around as it's a mega where you really need to know what you're doing to make use of it. Often, Mega Gengar is found in Perish Trap teams or it can be part of a core that includes Whimsicott + Terrakion. Mega Gengar has options as being a primary or secondary mega, but it can be difficult to use if you're new to the format or if you're not used to playing a more disruptive playstyle.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
It's basically one pokemon skydrops and the other hurricanes the skydropped one for double damage, or at least was my plan until I found out it doesn't work.
Try having the Hurricane user be faster than the Sky Drop/Fly user. Maybe it only works on the turn that the move does damage on. Grasping for straws, but it is a possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)