VGC 2015: Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've not seen anything, they might be floating around. I wouldn't be surprised if the Japanese players don't want to share the spreads they used though
Yeah, that wouldn't be surprising, seeing how they dominated. I think we should at least expect Shoma to share his team, as the champion.

If anyone here knows japanese, feel free to do a google search ;)

Hi everyone!
In the Doubles OU metagame I know that Mega Metagross and Keldeo form a fantastic core due to removing their counters each other.But,in VGC,who can "replace" Keldeo in his work?
Thank You!

On my team, I want to replace my Mega Kangaskhan with a new mega, but I can't come up with one. So far, I have Thundurus, Talonflame, Breloom, Aegislash, and Milotic.

I was thinking maybe Mega Salamence, or Mega Lopunny, but the former gives my team an extreme rock weakness, and the latter seems a little redundant because I already have Breloom on my team. I've also considered Mega Gardevoir to complete a TailRoom team, but I feel she's a little too frail.

So... any suggestions?

Thanks for any help!

On my team, I want to replace my Mega Kangaskhan with a new mega, but I can't come up with one. So far, I have Thundurus, Talonflame, Breloom, Aegislash, and Milotic.

I was thinking maybe Mega Salamence, or Mega Lopunny, but the former gives my team an extreme rock weakness, and the latter seems a little redundant because I already have Breloom on my team. I've also considered Mega Gardevoir to complete a TailRoom team, but I feel she's a little too frail.

So... any suggestions?

Thanks for any help!
For that team, you could just go with a standard Kangaskhan. Because your Kangaskhan has that excessive bulk investment, you can't really do much, but a more standard Kangaskhan would fit the team better and also fit your own playstyle.

For that team, you could just go with a standard Kangaskhan. Because your Kangaskhan has that excessive bulk investment, you can't really do much, but a more standard Kangaskhan would fit the team better and also fit your own playstyle.
Ah okay. Thanks for the help :) So would you recommend a Jolly or Adamant Kangaskhan?

Edit: My other question: Is it still wise to give Aegislash 0 Speed IVS to be slowest on the field, or is speed investment a good idea for him now?

Last edited:
Hey guys! Man, I haven't been on here forever, but ORAS really got me back into Pokemon, and I've kind of fallen into love with everything off VGC, so I figured I'd make a team for it.

I've watched a lot of the videos and I'm seeing Landorus-T, Thunderus, Heatran, Cresselia and these kinda mons soooo much. With normal Pokemon, I get it. I bred a couple of 'good' pokemon. But hey do they get all these perfectly IV'd and nature legendaries? I always thought VGC had those hack checks, and cheating isn't even possible on 3DS anymore, or is it? It just seems super hard to get them all, and it's a teenie bit discouraging to start up a build.

Mishimono

mish mish
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion
DPL Champion
Hey guys! Man, I haven't been on here forever, but ORAS really got me back into Pokemon, and I've kind of fallen into love with everything off VGC, so I figured I'd make a team for it.

I've watched a lot of the videos and I'm seeing Landorus-T, Thunderus, Heatran, Cresselia and these kinda mons soooo much. With normal Pokemon, I get it. I bred a couple of 'good' pokemon. But hey do they get all these perfectly IV'd and nature legendaries? I always thought VGC had those hack checks, and cheating isn't even possible on 3DS anymore, or is it? It just seems super hard to get them all, and it's a teenie bit discouraging to start up a build.
nah alot of them are hacked. but people here would be willing to clone and trade

It is possible to hack the just about anything on a Pokemon with the use of a Powersaves, so sadly a lot of legendaries on Battle Spot are hacked. If you want to get your own legitimate competitive legends check out the Soft Reset Guide. Also as Mishimono said, a lot of guys in the Wi-Fi forum have managed to soft reset perfect legendaries and will trade them if given the proper deal. Along with that there is also the Giveaway Sub Forum where legendaries occasionally pop up.

nah alot of them are hacked. but people here would be willing to clone and trade
Unless you have proof of said hacking, don't state your opinion as fact. Hacked pokemon are not allowed to be traded on smogon by the way.

It is not impossible to SR for a 'perfect' stationary legendary. I've done it with my Yveltal on Y, got 31/1/31/30/31/31 and the correct nature and have not purchased a powersave thingy.

Mishimono

mish mish
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion
DPL Champion
Unless you have proof of said hacking, don't state your opinion as fact. Hacked pokemon are not allowed to be traded on smogon by the way.

It is not impossible to SR for a 'perfect' stationary legendary. I've done it with my Yveltal on Y, got 31/1/31/30/31/31 and the correct nature and have not purchased a powersave thingy.
no i mean not on smogon but alot of people elsewhere will use them. but i am not promoting them nor do i use them.

Speaking of SRing for legendaries, just how good should I aim for in order to have a competitive Pokémon? Please don't say flawless, as I've SR'd for days and it just doesn't happen for me (nor is it at all likely to... if my math is right, the chance of a quad-flawless legendary spread, with the "don't care" stat being in the right area - Attack or Sp. Atk, is 1/32 x 1/32 x 1/6 = 1/6144). I think something like 25+/31/25+/x/25+/31 (physical) eor 25+/x/25+/31/25+/31 (special) is more reasonable. What do you all think?

Last edited:
flawless is the best but you can go with 5 IVs if physical no SpA if you are special no Att mixed then if you dont want speed then no Spe. :D hope i helped.

Speaking of SRing for legendaries, just how good should I aim for in order to have a competitive Pokémon? Please don't say flawless, as I've SR'd for days and it just doesn't happen for me (nor is it at all likely to... if my math is right, the chance of a quad-flawless legendary spread, with the "don't care" stat being in the right area - Attack or Sp. Atk, is 1/32 x 1/32 x 1/6 = 1/6144). I think something like 25+/31/25+/x/25+/31 (physical) eor 25+/x/25+/31/25+/31 (special) is more reasonable. What do you all think?
I would say aim for 27+ or 29+ in those stats, depending on your patience. and aim for 31 HP as well, since you have 3 guaranteed flawless, and HP matters for both defenses. Obviously you can also keep a 29/31/31/x/31/31, but yeah HP should imo be at least 29, preferably 31. This post was kinda all over the place, but I hope you understood it :)

It could be a decent gimmick but it falls apart if you predict badly when using it. The main flaw is that the partner is still open to attack you. Opposing Fake Outs also mess up the strategy a lot. I believe Follow Me and Rage Powder also redirect it. It could work in a bo1 but it would likely not work well in bo3 (you could add other strategies though since it doesn't take up Kang's moveslot). Also I'm not sure that's the best replay because it looked like your opponent though Thundurus' ability was Levitate.

For Thundurus though I think Nasty Plot is a better option since it gives more power. Don't use it with Role Play though Parental Bond Nasty Plot
I mean, charge beam could also work the same way with power up punch with a 70% chance to raise special attack by 1. I see where you're getting at though. I'll just have to play around with it.

Oh, and you are more likely to get crits with parental bond. Hehe.

I mean, charge beam could also work the same way with power up punch with a 70% chance to raise special attack by 1. I see where you're getting at though. I'll just have to play around with it.

Oh, and you are more likely to get crits with parental bond. Hehe.
This whole idea sounds horrible to me.

Nasty Plot gives you a reliable +2 boost, only demands one moveslot and allows you to start sweeping with +2 Special Attack from turn 2. Thunderbolt is also a lot stronger than Charge Beam and more reliable.

Role Play + Charge Beam gives you an unreliable +2, demands two of your moveslots and costs you (at least) two turns to set up.
It also forces you to have Kangaskhan next to Thundurus and overwrites Prankster (no Prankster TWave for emergencies).

EDIT: Charge Beam can miss. lol

EDIT2: Lightning Rod. rofl

Last edited:
This whole idea sounds horrible to me.

Nasty Plot gives you a reliable +2 boost, only demands one moveslot and allows you to start sweeping with +2 Special Attack from turn 2. Thunderbolt is also a lot stronger than Charge Beam and more reliable.

Role Play + Charge Beam gives you an unreliable +2, demands two of your moveslots and costs you (at least) two turns to set up.
It also forces you to have Kangaskhan next to Thundurus and overwrites Prankster (no Prankster TWave for emergencies).

EDIT: Charge Beam can miss. lol

EDIT2: Lightning Rod. rofl
The only way it would really sound good is if you use this on a bunch of people that have no idea how competitive battling works. After that its just too gimmicky to work that often or that good.

Honestly, hy waste 2 turns to set up with roleplay+charge beam, when you could set up in one turn and attack on turn two

Is Aurorus viable in VGC Trick Room? Should it use Snow Warning or Refri?
58 base Speed, so tied with Scrafty. Yeah, that's something you can work with in TR (Or Tailwind, if you're nuts).
Refridgerate fuckspellingitok Hyper Voice has more power than Blizzard and gives no fucks about weather wars; it also peirces Subs on things like MegaMence.

It has really good SE coverage, so imo if you run Hyper Voice / Earth Power / Ancientpower / Protect with Quiet and Life Orb, it should do fairly nicely. Amoonguss shares no weaknesses and resists Fighting/Water/Grass so that can redirect and allow Aurorus to function outside TR when needed.

Plus, no Hail = no breaking your own Sashes and shit.

Viability, I can't really answer, but considering a large number of weaknesses and dependance on TR, I'd be careful testing it.

Does Belly Drum Azumarill ever carry Sap Sipper? I saw Perish Trap Azu absorb my Sleep Powder and I've been afraid to put them to sleep ever since...

The standard azumarill has huge power, always. In persish trap teams, they run sap sipper to avoid spores as azumarill should not deal damage, it should trap the opp with whirlpool and its own perish song.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
It's been a while since I've played much serious VGC (I've played a little, but mostly just friendlies with friends). What about the VGC environment, when compared to the dubs environment, makes Tyranitar (and, by extension, sand offense) jump from the realms of inviability (smogdubs) to high viability (VGC)?
The standard azumarill has huge power, always. In persish trap teams, they run sap sipper to avoid spores as azumarill should not deal damage, it should trap the opp with whirlpool and its own perish song.
Sap Sipper is illegal alongside Whirlpool as Whirlpool is a gen 4 HM while Sap Sipper was given to it in gen 5 through the dream world.

It's been a while since I've played much serious VGC (I've played a little, but mostly just friendlies with friends). What about the VGC environment, when compared to the dubs environment, makes Tyranitar (and, by extension, sand offense) jump from the realms of inviability (smogdubs) to high viability (VGC)?
Salamencite.

Tyranitar is most commonly used alongside Excadrill and Mega Salamence in VGC as a "Japan Sand"-core.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)