Resource VGC 16: Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the best in game way to make sure my pokemon are vgc legal? Aside from Google searching.
Do you mean to check if they are hacked? If so, then honestly the best way to make sure your Pokemon are legal is to just get them by yourself. Breeding is stupdily easy in gen 6, and with some patience you can also get good legendary Pokemon as well through soft resetting. People on Smogon also occasionally post giveaway of legendaries here.

Do you mean to check if they are hacked? If so, then honestly the best way to make sure your Pokemon are legal is to just get them by yourself. Breeding is stupdily easy in gen 6, and with some patience you can also get good legendary Pokemon as well through soft resetting. People on Smogon also occasionally post giveaway of legendaries here.
I'm very familiar with breeding and soft resetting. Getting in game Pokez is simple, however I have obtained some event legendaries from Korea that have special move sets. I just wanted to make sure they are good to go for a tournament. Is throwing them on GTS a good way to see? Or is there a particular battle spot(with certain rules) I could use? I know there isn't one for vgc16 but what would the closest battle spot option be for vgc16 rules?

I'm very familiar with breeding and soft resetting. Getting in game Pokez is simple, however I have obtained some event legendaries from Korea that have special move sets. I just wanted to make sure they are good to go for a tournament. Is throwing them on GTS a good way to see? Or is there a particular battle spot(with certain rules) I could use? I know there isn't one for vgc16 but what would the closest battle spot option be for vgc16 rules?
Could you tell us the Pokemon and their movesets? That would help for us if we were to tell you whether they are legal or not. You can also post in this thread, which is dedicated to checking if Pokemon are hacks.

Could you tell us the Pokemon and their movesets? That would help for us if we were to tell you whether they are legal or not. You can also post in this thread, which is dedicated to checking if Pokemon are hacks.
It's a Dialga with its hidden ability telepathy.

What's the best in game way to make sure my pokemon are vgc legal? Aside from Google searching.
1. Make sure there's nothing ridiculous in the stat sheet (ex. -10000 exp to next level).

2. Make sure the stats are all legal (check on showdown) as well as all the moves.

3. If its shiny, make sure the pokemon isn't shiny locked.

4. Make sure the pokeball is legal for the given pokemon.

5. Look for obvious tells (like a suspicious OT name or an ID of 00000).

6. Look for anything illegal (hatch/encounter locations, old tutor moves with new egg moves, etc).

If it passes all of these, it'll easily pass a hack check, regardless of whether or not its actually legal.

1. Make sure there's nothing ridiculous in the stat sheet (ex. -10000 exp to next level).

2. Make sure the stats are all legal (check on showdown) as well as all the moves.

3. If its shiny, make sure the pokemon isn't shiny locked.

4. Make sure the pokeball is legal for the given pokemon.

5. Look for obvious tells (like a suspicious OT name or an ID of 00000).

6. Look for anything illegal (hatch/encounter locations, old tutor moves with new egg moves, etc).

If it passes all of these, it'll easily pass a hack check, regardless of whether or not its actually legal.
Thanks everyone for their help. I also uploaded the team to pokebank, used them in battlespot, and put them on the GTS. Just to be sure. Not the best checking method but still viable.

Random question for the sake of setting up to win a game on time. Is there a list of time durations for the attack animations? I know celebration is crazy long. Or does anyone know attacks off hand that are particularly long animations?

Random question for the sake of setting up to win a game on time. Is there a list of time durations for the attack animations? I know celebration is crazy long. Or does anyone know attacks off hand that are particularly long animations?
There isn't such a list I am afraid. I don't really remember a lot of animations but iirc Dragon Ascent is pretty long.

Any defensive/offensive benchmarks I should try to reach when EV'ing Primal Groudon? I'm currently running an Adamant one, mixed with Precipice Blades / Overheat / Rock Slide / Protect on Showdown, but i'm using a basic 252 HP / 252 Attack spread and it feels pretty inefficient.

Demantoid

APMS Founder
is a Top Tiering Contributor
Any defensive/offensive benchmarks I should try to reach when EV'ing Primal Groudon? I'm currently running an Adamant one, mixed with Precipice Blades / Overheat / Rock Slide / Protect on Showdown, but i'm using a basic 252 HP / 252 Attack spread and it feels pretty inefficient.
The only benchmark I've seen people run is 252 hp / 156 SpD to avoid a ko from modest Pdon's Earth Power.

Hello everyone,

I am posting this message out of desperation. Here is the situation...
I am 27 now, but back in 5th grade, when the original Blue/Red games came out, they changed my life. I got away from the game (and all games, for that matter) until just a couple of months ago. I'm back into Pokémon now, and this time, I want to compete. I own Y and Omega Ruby now, and I'm really into it.
It is my goal to attend the May 28th VGC event in Massachusetts, but I have two big problems.
The first problem is that I don't know anyone else who plays Pokémon. I have no Pokémon-playing friends, whatsoever, and I don't really want to go to the event and be alone the whole time. The second problem is that I need some help building a good team. I do have a decent understanding of the new typings, moves, and rules, but still, I'm probably a little old school in my mentality. (Back in the day, psychics owned all and had no weaknesses, so it's obviously quite different now).
If you can talk to me and maybe be my friend, that would be cool.
And, even better, if you or someone you know plans on going to the May 28th VGC regional in Massachusetts, please let me know.

Thank you,
Rob

Hello everyone,

I am posting this message out of desperation. Here is the situation...
I am 27 now, but back in 5th grade, when the original Blue/Red games came out, they changed my life. I got away from the game (and all games, for that matter) until just a couple of months ago. I'm back into Pokémon now, and this time, I want to compete. I own Y and Omega Ruby now, and I'm really into it.
It is my goal to attend the May 28th VGC event in Massachusetts, but I have two big problems.
The first problem is that I don't know anyone else who plays Pokémon. I have no Pokémon-playing friends, whatsoever, and I don't really want to go to the event and be alone the whole time. The second problem is that I need some help building a good team. I do have a decent understanding of the new typings, moves, and rules, but still, I'm probably a little old school in my mentality. (Back in the day, psychics owned all and had no weaknesses, so it's obviously quite different now).
If you can talk to me and maybe be my friend, that would be cool.
And, even better, if you or someone you know plans on going to the May 28th VGC regional in Massachusetts, please let me know
Thank you,
Rob
Ok, i can help you getting into VGC'16 and everything, but because i don't live in the USA i can't attend Massachusetts. However, i have a good feeling of who might attend, so i'll be contacting that person in case you meet up on the regionals and what not...

I have a Cresselia that has 31/x/31/0-1/31/0-1 with a sassy nature that I just want to use as a tanky trick room setup in vgc. Is this good enough?

Last edited:
I have a Cresselia that has 31/x/31/0-1/31/0-1 with a sassy nature that I just want to use as a tanky trick room setup in vgc. Is this good enough?
eh, depends. If you're running mental herb and no attacking moves, then sure. If you're running any attacks, then maybe consider trying to get a better one. The only attack you might be able to get away with is Icy Wind, but that doesn't make much sense with Trick Room.

eh, depends. If you're running mental herb and no attacking moves, then sure. If you're running any attacks, then maybe consider trying to get a better one. The only attack you might be able to get away with is Icy Wind, but that doesn't make much sense with Trick Room.
Alright. I was planning to run trick room and helping hand onto it. The other two are toss up. I was thinking like moonlight and maybe one move like ice beam to get some pokemon frozen

Ok, i can help you getting into VGC'16 and everything, but because i don't live in the USA i can't attend Massachusetts. However, i have a good feeling of who might attend, so i'll be contacting that person in case you meet up on the regionals and what not...
Thank you, Steven! That's very cool of you. I do have a personal e-mail, if you want to give it to anyone in the USA. It is elitefouryo@yahoo.com.
Now, since I have Y and Omega, I have the easiest access to Primal Groudon; but lately, I've noticed that Kyogre and Rayquaza make a good team.
Kyogre gets thunderbolt, which can kill other Kyogres, and Rayquaza can cancel the desolate land on any Primal Groudon.
I see lots of Kangaskhans doing fake outs, but mine almost never goes first when I try it--despite the highest possible speed stats--so I've almost given up.
I was using a team whose main purpose was to take out the most common legendaries and megas. For example, I had a Steelix holding an Iron Ball whose Gyro Ball could OHKO any Xerneas. It was working, when I got the hits.
I also like Lucario's typing and his Inner Focus ability to kill Kangaskhans.
I want to try a Lucario with Close Combat, Bullet Punch (priority and can hurt Xerneas), Extreme Speed (priority again), and Bulk Up (why not). I know that Protects are important to have, but I was basically thinking that Lucario would be my first pokemon to go out each match - hence all of the priority moves and Inner Focus. He'd be good at dealing with Fake Outs, right? I'm not sure if I would use my Mega slot on him, though.
Anyways, what do you think of that idea???? And did I make bad calls getting Y and Omega Ruby?
I'm sort of liking Kyogre now that I've tried one on Pokémon Showdown with a Thunderbolt that destroys other Kyogres easily (and unexpectedly).
And if I went with Kyogre and Rayquaza, I could cancel out Primal Groudon's desolate land and kill Primal Groudons and Kyogres, I think.
But I really like Mewtwo a lot, too. He is probably my favorite pokemon.

Demantoid

APMS Founder
is a Top Tiering Contributor
Thank you, Steven! That's very cool of you. I do have a personal e-mail, if you want to give it to anyone in the USA. It is elitefouryo@yahoo.com.
Now, since I have Y and Omega, I have the easiest access to Primal Groudon; but lately, I've noticed that Kyogre and Rayquaza make a good team.
Kyogre gets thunderbolt, which can kill other Kyogres, and Rayquaza can cancel the desolate land on any Primal Groudon.
I see lots of Kangaskhans doing fake outs, but mine almost never goes first when I try it--despite the highest possible speed stats--so I've almost given up.
I was using a team whose main purpose was to take out the most common legendaries and megas. For example, I had a Steelix holding an Iron Ball whose Gyro Ball could OHKO any Xerneas. It was working, when I got the hits.
I also like Lucario's typing and his Inner Focus ability to kill Kangaskhans.
I want to try a Lucario with Close Combat, Bullet Punch (priority and can hurt Xerneas), Extreme Speed (priority again), and Bulk Up (why not). I know that Protects are important to have, but I was basically thinking that Lucario would be my first pokemon to go out each match - hence all of the priority moves and Inner Focus. He'd be good at dealing with Fake Outs, right? I'm not sure if I would use my Mega slot on him, though.
Anyways, what do you think of that idea???? And did I make bad calls getting Y and Omega Ruby?
I'm sort of liking Kyogre now that I've tried one on Pokémon Showdown with a Thunderbolt that destroys other Kyogres easily (and unexpectedly).
And if I went with Kyogre and Rayquaza, I could cancel out Primal Groudon's desolate land and kill Primal Groudons and Kyogres, I think.
But I really like Mewtwo a lot, too. He is probably my favorite pokemon.
If you're not against cloning there's a giveaway going on that can help you get a lot more of the restricted legendaries.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
I have no Pokémon-playing friends, whatsoever, and I don't really want to go to the event and be alone the whole time.
I've been to a VGC event before by myself and it really isn't difficult to make friends. Everyone there likes pokemon and chances are they like a lot of other things that you like as well, so it's easy to get conversations going and make friends. Everything is very relaxed and there's usually lots of people specifically going around chatting with everyone.

Serapis

Losing my way to Victory
IfTheLightTakesUs, I'm a US player and there's a chance I'll be at Mass in the Spring. If not, I know for certain that one of my friends (Ashton Cox) will be going. As for learning more about VGC, I'm more than willing to help. You can either find me on Pokemon Showdown in the Competitive Tutoring Room (I might be on an alt, just mention VGC and I'll see it) or you can always PM me here on Smogon.

Alright. I was planning to run trick room and helping hand onto it. The other two are toss up. I was thinking like moonlight and maybe one move like ice beam to get some pokemon frozen
IMO if you're running any attacking move, you should go get a better Cresselia. That special attack IV will absolutely lose you matches, and there's no reason to use it when you can find better ones really easily. I think theorymon might be giving one away in the giveaway sub.

IMO if you're running any attacking move, you should go get a better Cresselia. That special attack IV will absolutely lose you matches, and there's no reason to use it when you can find better ones really easily. I think theorymon might be giving one away in the giveaway sub.
Most has the Cresselia giveaway going on right now, not sure if it is still going or not though.

I've been to a VGC event before by myself and it really isn't difficult to make friends. Everyone there likes pokemon and chances are they like a lot of other things that you like as well, so it's easy to get conversations going and make friends. Everything is very relaxed and there's usually lots of people specifically going around chatting with everyone.
Thanks for the comfort. I'm a bit of an oddball, though, in that I'm not a gamer in the general sense. My other interest is weight lifting, but I am recovering from a shoulder surgery - which is why I started to play Pokémon again. I'm hooked on Pokémon now. It has nostalgic value to me, and it's fun to compete in something that involves battling and chess-like strategic thinking. I also have some social anxiety, so I feel like I would only go if I had been talking to some people beforehand and I felt comfortable meeting up with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)