The Smog needs your help!

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
My exams are finished, and I've tried to improve my design as much as possible.

New font (purple to match Koffing as well as Alakazam), more 'psychic power' on the spoons (and yes, I got my inspiration from AB's design), improved (probably) shading detail on the head and body, altered light sources, and I'm planning to add something on the back, like a smog cloud or a simple oval, to cancel out the annoying gaps in the slogan (which look out of place next to Alakazam). However, the method with which I uploaded the design was buggy and so this picture is just slightly blurred/altered from the one on my PC.

Hope you like it.

Also, is there a set of dimensions we can get, so as to see how our designs looks when scaled down?

Zari

What impossible odds?
is a Contributor Alumnus
I'm not going to be able to finish it, too much stuff to do right now...
Good luck to everyone else!

My exams are finished, and I've tried to improve my design as much as possible.

New font (purple to match Koffing as well as Alakazam), more 'psychic power' on the spoons (and yes, I got my inspiration from AB's design), improved (probably) shading detail on the head and body, altered light sources, and I'm planning to add something on the back, like a smog cloud or a simple oval, to cancel out the annoying gaps in the slogan (which look out of place next to Alakazam). However, the method with which I uploaded the design was buggy and so this picture is just slightly blurred/altered from the one on my PC.

Hope you like it.

Also, is there a set of dimensions we can get, so as to see how our designs looks when scaled down?
His left foot looks way to big compared to his other foot. o.O

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Okay, I think it's the day before I have to submit my design, so I guess I'd better post my finalised (hopefully) design here for you to critique, and possibly edit out minor flaws. And yes, I know I'm not going to win anyway, but this has been a fun project, and I want to make this look as good as possible.

Aside from the orange smoke and my going back to my old (and, I have to say, far 'funkier') font, I enlarged Alakazam's right foot a tad as well as enlarging, improving the shading and adding some claws on his hands. I don't know why dots keep appearing on his shoulder, but I'll try to make it go away before my final submission.

Prototype, I decided to use the most used pokemon for each letter, except O, in which both pokemon are UU, and Gengar, because I don't know how I'd make gengar into a G =/
This is awesome except for the Scizor. Try using Arbok or Seviper or Rayquaza lol

Rocket Grunt

✁ - - - - - - - - - -
is a Top Artist Alumnus
I love this one, dude. It looks great, and it's very versatile. I mean, the magazine IS names after Koffing's signature(?) attack, but like this you can put any Pokemon behind it. I think it's really succinct and well designed. You could even switch up the colors for each issue, depending on how you wanted the title to contrast/compliment the cover image.

I love this one, dude. It looks great, and it's very versatile. I mean, the magazine IS names after Koffing's signature(?) attack, but like this you can put any Pokemon behind it. I think it's really succinct and well designed. You could even switch up the colors for each issue, depending on how you wanted the title to contrast/compliment the cover image.

I guess the fact I didn't incorporate any 'mons into it dosen't really make it stand out as a Pokemon mag logo though :)

Ok, this is my last try for this. I decided to stop with the Koffings and pokemon styled logos and started doing something more simple. So, I have 2 ideas. The first is the original, the second is a different version of the original.

This is just a simple, professional-looking logo. It gets straight to the point, nothing huge, but yet it is still effective.

I kinda liked how this turned out. The sort of wispy/smoggy look added a little "spice" to the letters.

So, I don't know if anyone likes any of these. The original is just a plain, simple logo, while the other version is more eye-catching and creative. If anyone has suggestions to make it better, I'm always ready for 'em.

That's an awesome idea. The fourth pokeball (purple & black) looks the best to me. But I'm not sure if people will be able to tell that it says The Smog, because we already know that the name is The Smog so we know what it says. Maybe you could try making the letters more visible? Like an outline or darker colouring?

The problem here is that the G should be capitalised. Otherwise it looks like you're trying to spell smo9.

cool concept though

latinoheat- I must agree that the design is cool, but in my opinion it belongs more on a t-shirt than a webzine cover for two reasons:

1.) It makes a picture. A fairly complex and creative design such as this would be considered more as 'art' than 'title/banner' material. It is my belief that the best logos have text that is horizontally aligned, easy to read, and whose personality is carried in the font and layout. (Perfect example- Rolling Stone magazine)

2.) Since the pokeball design is centrally focused, off-centered placements would be distracting. I have never seen a magazine place their title/logo on the center of the page.

bugmaniacbob- cute concept, but if you really wanted to pull it off, you should have spent more time and attention while drawing that Alakazam. If you don't feel like redrawing + coloring it, then all I can say is choose a font that looks less comical and fill it with something that isn't a grainy metallic gradient.

GenghisTron- if I didn't have a submission here, I would definitely vote yours. You understand the concept of magazine titles and have produced one with great originality and personality.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)