Resource SV OU Indigo Disk Viability Ranking Thread

Unless you're Steel/Dragon (RIP Archaludon) or Fairy/Dragon (RIP Mega Altaria) you're always weak to Dragon LOL. That's like saying Dragapult is weak to Dragon so it shouldn't rise
That's massively different my man. I'm pointing out how dragon/ grass isn't an inherently good defensive typing, and it being weak to dragon is just a piece of why I don't think it is worthy of OU. This meta is full of dragons every, and being a slow dragon type defensively is right away a negative if you can't outspeed them. A pokemon weak to dragon could def still be OU if it has other great traits, but Hydrapple Grass typing holds it back in that department and its speeds mean it will never win the 1v1 against another dragon type. Pult is great because it outspeeds most of the metagame meaning it being weak to the dragon isn't a problem since you will KO the opponent first, Pult and Hydrapple aren't comparable.

:Corviknight: --> A- : This is my general "hot take" but Corviknight defensive typing still feels great in this metagame. It is one of the few mons that handle the combinations of :Weavile: , :Meowscarada: , and :Great Tusk: stabs move and can still handle key threats like :Dragonite: (lacking encore) and :Zamazenta: . Its typing is still much appreciated on balance and is the glue to handle many key threats in this meta. I do recognize its weaknesses being walled by many common walls such as :Gholdengo: , :Slowking-Galar: , :Alomomola: , and more but no other Pokemon can do what it can with its longevity, and the problem of it being walled is fixed by pivoting with u-turn, which is the main reason I nominate it over Skarmory.

:Primarina: --> A+: I've loved this pokemon and not even for what it's known for the most, offensive calm mind. I've been using a more bulky set on balances with either boot or AV and being able to check threats like :Gouging Fire: , :Walking Wake:, and :Volcarona: all in one slot. It's great role compression with pivoting and encore for disruption is busted as per usual, and overall, Primarina is just so solid right now with its typing being great in a metagame with dragons everywhere and holds many balance and HO teams together.

:Great Tusk: --> S-: I don't think this mon is any worse honestly, spinning still fells great in this metagame, but with meta adapting, spinning doesn't feel as necessary as. Boots spam teams have been on the rise and continute to be great while offensive teams opt of out of spinning at all or use faster threats like Cinderace instead for hazard control instead. Great Tusk will always have a place and be deserving of S tier just from how much spin opens up breakers and other items like rocky helmet on Alomomola instead of boots, but people are adapting and spin isn't always needed now.

Last edited:
I agree on most of these but the Hydrapple is a tad confusing. I do think it is a decent mon and has its good qualities, but it typing is still bad in this metagame. Being weak to all the dragons, walled by common defensive mon (glowking, Corviknight, Gholdengo), and being quite slow just make it have to many negatives in my opinion in the meta. I think something more realistic would be for it to rise to B+ instead. Regen and the ability to scare of Ogerpon and Garg are honestly great niches for me to rise to there instead.
That's actually a great point, however thanks to my favorite matchup flip, Tera Steel, it can take Dragon, Ice, and Fairy attacks way better and get rid of the Grass/Dragon typing. Burning Tera isn't recommended but Hydrapple being a Steel type can be a game changer against certain offenses like Tera Steeling on Specs Kyurem's Ice Beam and killing it with Fickle Beam or Tera Steeling to resist a chipped Roaring Moon's Acro and also killing it with Fickle Beam. From what I've seen, Hydrapple is by no means an easy mon to use, it def requires solid team support and complete knowledge of all its potentially unfavorable matchups, which is probs why it doesn't see much usage.

:hydrapple: from B --> A-

I've already sung my praises for this mon in metagame discussion, but I refuse to believe that Hydrapple should be ranked lower than Iron Fraud Boulder. I'll just give a quick recap of what I said previously: Hydrapple is a physically defensive Regen wall who is able to take on top metagame threats like Waterpon, Tusk, Rilla, Gouging, Garg, and maybe Kingambit if you really position yourself correctly. Physdef has been the best set by far, pairing extremely well with Glowking on balance to form a nice Regen core. Vest is cool on sand as a way to patch up sand's weaknesses to Water and Grass types, and can fit over Amoonguss and Chesnaught in that slot due to it being a better way to take special attacks and it has a stronger offensive presence than both of them. The Sticky Hold set is good on stall, but has no uses outside of that.

:slowking-galar: from A+ --> S
This mon has become irreplaceable on balance thanks to Regen, its unique typing making it a Toxic immune and a Psychic who isn't weak to U-turn, access to Future Sight, Chilly Reception to pivot, insane coverage, status moves like Toxic and Thunder Wave, and overall great special bulk. There is 0 reason to not use this on balance it compresses way too much utility in one slot, would actually go as far as to say it's better than Great Tusk rn, who is not mandatory on these teamstyles unlike Glowking. Not much else to say, everyone knows how important Glowking is at this point.

:scizor: from B --> B+ or A-
I feel like Scizor's flown under the radar, but playing HO made me really appreciate how devastating it can be. SD sets with Life Orb, Boots, or pinch berries like Sitrus or Liechi can wipe weakened teams. Life Orb is able to ohko offensive Gholdengo without any boosts, Boots avoids chip from hazards, Sitrus is able to recover some damage it sustained from Pokemon like Kyurem and Landorus, and Liechi is able to give Scizor an additional +1 Attack boost if it gets critically low, which gives you stronger Bullet Punches. Knock Off is typically the best option to hit Gholdengo, however I've seen Thief used to steal items such as Helmet from Lando and the steel birds and Lefties from Ironpress Zama if it decides to switch in. Overall solid and underrated mon, obviously hates Volcarona dominating rn but I still feel it's deserving of a rise.
I don't really know about hydrapple or sciz, although A-seems quite high for both of them, but as much as I love gking there's no way it fits in S. It is an amazing glue mon, and I think top of A+/bottom of S- is probably its most accurate placement, but it feels like as much as it finds its way onto teams its also suffers from major 4mss; you want psyshock+toxic for volc, fsight for breaking, sludge bomb for fairies, flamethrower for steels, ice beam for scor, grass knot for garg, twave for offense, slack off for recovery, etc. Gking is a fantastic mon and its great glue, but it often feels moreso necessitated on teams rather then on teams because of its own merits. If Kyurem and volcarona weren't in the meta, Gking would probably see less play. On the other hand, stuff like Tusk and Kingambit aren't slotted on because of other mons, they're slotted on teams because of their own merits. Gking is great and very splashable, but really I think S- is the most reflective of its placement; S is too high.

658Greninja

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
IMG_4476.jpeg

Now that I got everyone’s attention. I’d like to make a quick nom.

IMG_4434.png
B- > B
Imo a Molt rise is long overdue. The Volc ban frees up options like U-Turn allowing Molt to remain relevant in the Balance matchup. Molt’s ability to spread burns and check physical attackers like Gambit and Knock-less Tusk is valuable and more reliable than Volc was at it due to the avian’s higher physical bulk. Its made appearances in a handful of successful builds, including Vert’s Ting/Tinka team. Though it is incredibly vulnerable to Knock, support from Knock absorbers and strong hazard removal can mitigate that weakness.

IMG_8677.png
Also I agree with the GummyRowlet’s Corv rise nom. The best set is SpD Corviknight which is a solid blanket check to Deo-S, AV Glowking, Darkrai, Rilla, Enam, CM Val, SD Gliscor, and Fire Punch-less Dnite as it clicks U-Turn to bring in the offensive mons that threaten them. U-Turn in particular makes it favorable over Skarmid since you avoid being overly passive and as mentioned earlier, it gives entry for strong offensive threats which is highly valuable in this bulkier metagame. Don’t downplay this as a Defogger either. Against Gholdless builds, it can find entry points to click Defog and remove progress. Even against Ghold teams, you’re gonna be pairing it with something that punishes Ghold switch-ins anyways like Darkrai. Just click U-Turn.

heyooo, id like to nominate 2(potientially 3) Pokemon due to Volc being banned

:scizor: B > A- (if not, at least B+)
probably one of the biggest winners of Volc being banned, Scizor was already quite good before but Volc being banned helps it out immensely now. Scizor's excellent typing as well as its signature Bullet Punch makes it extremely good vs offense as it checks many Pokemon from Iron Valiant to Rillaboom as well as being able to check Kyurem and Roaring Moon, among others. Choice Band is great but I personally love Swords Dance sets the most as they're game enders late game especially once its checks are eliminated(ill say this again but shoutout to Sitrus variants of sd scizor as well). It does have issues with GFire, Moltres, and weather as well as not being too good vs Stall, but I think Scizor is one of the biggest winners of Volc being banned and its excellent traits vs most of the offensive metagame lends me to nominate it.

:moltres: B- > B
I agree with Greninja's Molt rise nom, it can now run U-turn freely without dedicating that slot to running something silly like Brave Bird to deal with Volc now that's its been banned. Molt's good defensive typing also still gives SV a good way at checking Pokemon such as Kingambit, Zamazenta lacking Stone Edge, and Great Tusk as well as Iron Valiant while also spreading burn. Not to mention that due to Volc being banned, this is basically the only good Pokemon with access to Flame Body in OU(apart from Heatran, but this isn't SwSh lmfao).

honorable nom(since this is a mon that also appreciates the volc ban)

:latias: potential B > B+
she appreciates the fact that the demonic bug is no longer in the tier to make her cry and to scare her, normally Latias beats Volc without BB but since most Volc ran BB(especially if they just ran Tera Grass with Giga Drain over Tera Blast on the same set) this was kinda irrelevant. Apart from that, she still can be a dangerous sweeper in the right position thanks to her speed and great bulk, sometimes she can also even run Recover and Substitute over Agility if desired(mainly good on webs and non veil teams which she can fit just as fine on such teams), ofc she still struggles with pokemon such as Kingambit and Gholdengo as well as sometimes being a Tera drainer. But Latias's good speed, great natural bulk, and decent damage output as well as being arguably the most viable and dangerous SP sweeper in the metagame lends me to nominate her.

Alright been wanting to nom this for a while now but was busy with other stuff, and with Volc banned this only gets better.

:Lokix: Unranked --> C+/B- (I think it's better than all the C+ mons but I would get why someone wouldn't want it to be B-)

It honestly came to me as a surprise this mon wasn't ranked on the VR, Tinted Lens STAB First Impression always has a niche imo, coupled with great STAB options that appreciate the ability greatly like Knock Off, U-Turn, Sucker Punch, Leech Life etc. I see some people use Choice Band or Swords Dance, I don't think those are good sets. Boots 4 attacks is the way to go imo.
Looking at the VR rn, down to the B+ rank Lokix revenge kills or threatens out all of Ogerpon-Wellspring, Roaring Moon, Slowking-Galar, Darkrai, Rillaboom, Samurott-Hisui, Weavile, Deoxys-Speed, Meowscarada (Drop this btw), Iron Boulder, Ogerpon-Teal, Ogerpon-Cornerstone after even 1 HP of chip and Serperior, with this list expanding even more with some spikes and rocks chip. And of course, this is only looking until B+ also without factoring tera types into account, which actually opens up revenging options even more, like a Tera'd Iron Valiant. Rocks and Spikes are almost essential for this thing to work, but if provided Lokix can offer incredible utility to a team. Besides the aforementioned mons, First Impression can still threaten out or revenge a chipped Kingambit looking to sweep with Sucker, a chipped Dragapult looking to clean a game up (especially if running Sucker Punch), a chipped Raging Bolt, Gouging Fire, Primarina, Walking Wake, you get the picture. That aside, it also provides great utility with STAB Knock Off and U-Turn, notably chunking common Knock resists which don't like losing their item like Zamazenta and Great Tusk while threatening out something like Gholdengo. Knock also straight up OHKOs Enamorus after rocks. Lokix's best matchup is vs Offense where it can repeatedly come in and threaten with First Impression. Where Lokix falters is against bulkier builds where its quite mediocre 102 base attack really falls short of picking up KOs, basically being hard walled by Gliscor, Alomomola, Corviknight, Skarmory and to an extent Clefable, hence why I am not ranking it any higher. It also struggles into Iron Valiant on offense, but since Val is often their only switchin to Lokix, burning their Booster is often quite good. Even after First Impression, Lokix threatens faster mons with Sucker Punch so it's not just a sitting duck afterward. It also has options like Axe Kick if the Kingambit matchup is bad, although First Impression alongside chip from Spikes or Helmet Lando is usually enough.

Now, a couple replays:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-2109910816
A couple chokes at first, but Lokix's value is noticeable here with it scaring off Ogerpon at +1 Speed and Darkrai. It also would've been able to revenge Crown after the chip Gholdengo dished out had it not just KO'd it itself.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-2109794231
Here, Lokix threatens out a Primarina at decent health with the threat of Tinted Lens Knock and U-turns on a Lando, letting Deo-S come in to revenge. Later in the game it Knocks and U-turns on a Zama which is enough chip for Deo-s to 2HKO with Psycho Boost after Zama Tera's into Fire. Lokix is then able to finish off the remaining Raging Bolt and Primarina.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-2109826967
Early game, Lokix forces out a +1 Speed Ogerpon and does 66% to the incoming Volcarona with First Impression, allowing it to be revenged by Ting Lu with ease. Later it revenge kills a Tera Ghost +2 Attack +1 Speed from Booster Shadow Sneak Iron Valiant with First Impression and proceeds to kill a 35% Dragonite with Knock Off and then kill a similarly chipped Dragapult with Sucker Punch event after burn before then U-turning out of Kingambit into Lando-T to finish the game from there.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-2106915220
In this game Lokix pivots into a Shadow Ball from Tera Ghost Iron Valiant, which forces it to use Destiny Bond fearing the threat of Sucker Punch or Tera First Impression. This allows me to freely go into my previously forced out because of -1 SpDef Ghold to kill the Valiant. Later Lokix forces out a +2 Iron Boulder with First Impression while the opponent forfeits with both his remaining mons being weak to Lokix.

And yeah that's it thanks for reading plz rank the goat

So imma rank some mons since the meta is definetely going to shift quite a bit now that the moth is gone.
:iron valiant: -> A/A+
I nominated this before for A+ rank, but now I think it is much deserved. With one of its better checks (volc checked valiant guys) gone, valiant is riding high. It now doesn't have to worry about volc setting up on it or checking special sets, while physical sets don't have to worry about cc proccing burn. This allows it to diversive more, as moonblast + fighting coverage covers most things (besides ghold), so it can experiment more instead of having to worry about hitting volc. For example, fire punch is a great move on sd sets due to it threatening ghold and other steel types in the meta, which volc would wall decently well. It also is one of, if not the single, best speed control options in the game. Getting above valiant's speed tier is a large reason why scarfrai and moon are so good, they can outspeed the most common speed control option. Combine this with the variety of options it has, and valiant to me is an easy A+ rank mon.
:zapdos: -> B/B+
Zapdos can fill a similarish role in spreading status onto physical attackers and loves that grass types are going to be more popular. It also beats two fairy types in primarina and valiant that will most likely rise. Zapdos in general I feel is underrated, with it still being a really great mon that despite some troubles, can put in the work. It hits quite hard but a set I am interested in is tera water blast. You can counter waterpon a lot easier, since power whip makes contact and getting a paralysis is a good trade, while dealing with the pesky ground types that might wall zap such as Sp.Defense Gliscor and clodsire. But even besides that thought, zapdos looks pretty good into the meta with it helping against waterpon, sd valiant, primarina, rillaboom and zama (which will most likely drop stone edge, making it one of the best counters if it does). We can also expand this list to cinderace, dragapult, dragonite, kingambit, meowscarada, roaring moon and hamurott if we include static. This is an impressive list to help against, and I think zapdos deserves to rise.
:heatran: -> B+/A-
Hardy har har, the heatran guy is nominating for heatran to rise, what an unexpected twist. But for real, Heatran is better than ever as it no longer has to attempt and then fail at checking volc since most ran tera ground to beat it. Heatran is a monster both offensively and defensively, with it straight up denying multiple mons that could overwhelm teams while still putting out offensive pressure. Honestly, lots of mons it destroys best hope to deal with it is to hope that magma storm misses. Nothing in the tier besides gouging likes taking magma storm as the high damage and chip damage cripples most things in the tier. Two sets that I have been loving are AV and tera blast fairy. AV can take basically any special hit even with only max HP investment, even always living an enamorus earth power, which is just insane, and can fire back with a multitude of attacks that can deal super effective damage to most things. Tera blast fairy traps the poison and steel types of the tier and then tera fairys and decimates everything due to its good bulk with not many super effective hits against it and ability to have super effective coverage against a lot of the tier.
But speaking of things it helps against (up to B+ rank), that is:
Kingambit
Gholdengo
Standard gliscor set if its running air balloon
Raging bolt
Glowking
Darkrai
Hatterene
Rillaboom
Weavile
Enamorus (just scout for e-power)
Tera groundless Iron Moth
Skeledirge
Cinderace
Corviknight
Iron Crown
Ogerpon (normal variant)
Serperior
Skarmory
That is an absolute massive list of mons it helps against, and I think its time to wake up sheeple, Heatran is goated. #Goatran
:alomomola: A/A-
Hot take, alolomola ain't an A rank mon, it's a A- rank mon. Firstly, it lets waterpon in for free and has to make big consensions just to not be the freest (that's a word) set up opportunity for it. Since waterpon is a mon you absolutely DO NOT want to give setup to, this is already a big detractor. It also has to be very standard in its moveset as any alterations, while they can be made, reduce its effectivness. It needs wish and scald, but then mainly chooses protect and flip turn into its moveset, but wants mirror coat, acrobatics, whirlpool and chilling water. If it drops protect or flip turn for another move in order to be less passive, then it is giving up on something vital. Lastly, it is passive AF, honestly too passive. Again, lets in waterpon, but many special attackers can switch in on the wish turn and set up, as they are not too threatened by it. Compare that to something like clodsire, who also is passive, who at the very least can get hazards up or toxic something. Now, the massive wishes, ability to soft check a lot of things and scald burns do make it good, but those downsides are big and don't make it an A rank mon.

So imma rank some mons since the meta is definetely going to shift quite a bit now that the moth is gone.
I nominated this before for A+ rank, but now I think it is much deserved. With one of its better checks (volc checked valiant guys) gone, valiant is riding high. It now doesn't have to worry about volc setting up on it or checking special sets, while physical sets don't have to worry about cc proccing burn. This allows it to diversive more, as moonblast + fighting coverage covers most things (besides ghold), so it can experiment more instead of having to worry about hitting volc. For example, fire punch is a great move on sd sets due to it threatening ghold and other steel types in the meta, which volc would wall decently well. It also is one of, if not the single, best speed control options in the game. Getting above valiant's speed tier is a large reason why scarfrai and moon are so good, they can outspeed the most common speed control option. Combine this with the variety of options it has, and valiant to me is an easy A+ rank mon.
Zapdos can fill a similarish role in spreading status onto physical attackers and loves that grass types are going to be more popular. It also beats two fairy types in primarina and valiant that will most likely rise. Zapdos in general I feel is underrated, with it still being a really great mon that despite some troubles, can put in the work. It hits quite hard but a set I am interested in is tera water blast. You can counter waterpon a lot easier, since power whip makes contact and getting a paralysis is a good trade, while dealing with the pesky ground types that might wall zap such as Sp.Defense Gliscor and clodsire. But even besides that thought, zapdos looks pretty good into the meta with it helping against waterpon, sd valiant, primarina, rillaboom and zama (which will most likely drop stone edge, making it one of the best counters if it does). We can also expand this list to cinderace, dragapult, dragonite, kingambit, meowscarada, roaring moon and hamurott if we include static. This is an impressive list to help against, and I think zapdos deserves to rise.
Hardy har har, the heatran guy is nominating for heatran to rise, what an unexpected twist. But for real, Heatran is better than ever as it no longer has to attempt and then fail at checking volc since most ran tera ground to beat it. Heatran is a monster both offensively and defensively, with it straight up denying multiple mons that could overwhelm teams while still putting out offensive pressure. Honestly, lots of mons it destroys best hope to deal with it is to hope that magma storm misses. Nothing in the tier besides gouging likes taking magma storm as the high damage and chip damage cripples most things in the tier. Two sets that I have been loving are AV and tera blast fairy. AV can take basically any special hit even with only max HP investment, even always living an enamorus earth power, which is just insane, and can fire back with a multitude of attacks that can deal super effective damage to most things. Tera blast fairy traps the poison and steel types of the tier and then tera fairys and decimates everything due to its good bulk with not many super effective hits against it and ability to have super effective coverage against a lot of the tier.
Kingambit
Gholdengo
Raging bolt
Glowking
Darkrai
Hatterene
Rillaboom
Weavile
Skeledirge
Cinderace
Corviknight
Iron Crown
Ogerpon (normal variant)
Serperior
Skarmory
That is an absolute massive list of mons it helps against, and I think its time to wake up sheeple, Heatran is goated. #Goatran
Hot take, alolomola ain't an A rank mon, it's a A- rank mon. Firstly, it lets waterpon in for free and has to make big consensions just to not be the freest (that's a word) set up opportunity for it. Since waterpon is a mon you absolutely DO NOT want to give setup to, this is already a big detractor. It also has to be very standard in its moveset as any alterations, while they can be made, reduce its effectivness. It needs wish and scald, but then mainly chooses protect and flip turn into its moveset, but wants mirror coat, acrobatics, whirlpool and chilling water. If it drops protect or flip turn for another move in order to be less passive, then it is giving up on something vital. Lastly, it is passive AF, honestly too passive. Again, lets in waterpon, but many special attackers can switch in on the wish turn and set up, as they are not too threatened by it. Compare that to something like clodsire, who also is passive, who at the very least can get hazards up or toxic something. Now, the massive wishes, ability to soft check a lot of things and scald burns do make it good, but those downsides are big and don't make it an A rank mon.
I do agree with alo being A- or even B+ at worst. I still think Alo ability to form an annoying regen core with slowking is still very enticing and still has success in this meta, but being stonewalled by ogerpon dam sucks. You are always forced to run a gimmicky move on alo just to deal with ogerpon with people using body slam, icy wind, and even dam tickle. At least other water types actually scare it like Moonblast from prim, draco from wake, or samurott with dark stab. Also, alo passive nature means that threats like moon, gouging, and even tusk it's supposed to aid against often destroy alo quite with enough boost if you don't get a scald burn. I just find myself using corviknight, lando, or gliscor almost all the time when I need a wall/ pivot. They just offer more offensive pressure and can actually do something if a bad match switched in (u turn).

Last edited:
I do agree with alo being A- or even B+ at worst. I still think Alo ability to form an annoying regen core with slowking is still very enticing and still has success in this meta, but being stonewalled by ogerpon dam sucks. You are always forced to run a gimmicky move on alo just to deal with ogerpon with people using body slam, icy wind, and even dam tickle. At least other water types actually scare it like Moonblast from prim, draco from wake, or samurott with dark stab. Also, alo passive nature means that threats like moon, gouging, and even tusk it's supposed to aid against often destroy alo quite with enough boost if you don't get a scald burn. I just find myself using corviknight, lando, or gliscor almost all the time when I need a wall/ pivot. They just offer more offensive pressure and can actually do something if a bad match switched in (u turn).
Tickle is used for Gouging Fire, not Ogerpon. With Tickle, Gouging Fire loses the 1v1 and can't ever sweep unless it runs some dumb crap like Clear Amulet (which probably is viable).

Personally I think Mola is pretty busted lmao. Yes, inviting in Waterpon is bad, but passing such huge wishes is nice for so many Pokemon like Tusk, Ursaluna, lower viability mons like Goodra-Hisui, etc. IMO its firmly A-Rank. Also its one of the best mons against sun. A- at minimum imo. That being said, Corv is also pretty good, so it could be raised.

:Latios: -> B+
This mon is really good vs fat. Psuedo hazard immunity + packs strong Dracos to put on immediate pressure vs the likes of Ting-Lu. Its MU vs offensive builds is shakier, but it can use some mons like Tusk and Lando-T as entry points to fire off Dracos. Tera Steel CM Psychic Noise is my personal favorite set. Tera Steel + levitate gives it one of the best defensive profiles in this metagame, it packs good immediate power thanks to Soul Dew, it can prevent recovery attempts from switch-ins like Gholdengo and Corviknight, ensuring damage really sticks, and it can keep itself healthy with Recover. To put it another way, Soul Dew Latios is like Ogerpon-Wellspring with more initial power and a psuedo hazard immunity. The only reason I'm not nomming it higher is because of its MU being poor vs various offensive Pokemon, namely Kingambit, Darkrai, Roaring Moon, and Dragapult. It does have coverage to hit Kingambit hard, but the others are faster and will outspeed it before it has a chance to react, giving them a free turn to setup, which is absolutely something you don't want to see against Pokemon so fast.

Kingambit
Gholdengo
Raging bolt
Glowking
Darkrai
Hatterene
Rillaboom
Weavile
Skeledirge
Cinderace
Corviknight
Iron Crown
Ogerpon (normal variant)
Serperior
Skarmory
I agree with the Iron Valiant nomination for sure given how ubiquitous and impactful it is on HO, but I've used Heatran before and to be honest it always seems to struggle for me. People have made the joke that heatran is good 75% of the time (which is valid) but honestly it feels like it needs taunt to function as a trapper properly, leaving its niche as a steel that can viably set rocks, but then you give up other potential coverage options or protect to get more lefties recovery. This is even with AV usually being hard to fit on mons without recovery due to having to give up both boots or potential recovery in lefties, but then being forced to lose necessary status moves... I'm not sure I see the vision here. Whenever I fit tran onto a team it feels like I messed up tbh

:Latios: -> B+
This mon is really good vs fat. Psuedo hazard immunity + packs strong Dracos to put on immediate pressure vs the likes of Ting-Lu. Its MU vs offensive builds is shakier, but it can use some mons like Tusk and Lando-T as entry points to fire off Dracos. Tera Steel CM Psychic Noise is my personal favorite set. Tera Steel + levitate gives it one of the best defensive profiles in this metagame, it packs good immediate power thanks to Soul Dew, it can prevent recovery attempts from switch-ins like Gholdengo and Corviknight, ensuring damage really sticks, and it can keep itself healthy with Recover. To put it another way, Soul Dew Latios is like Ogerpon-Wellspring with more initial power and a psuedo hazard immunity. The only reason I'm not nomming it higher is because of its MU being poor vs various offensive Pokemon, namely Kingambit, Darkrai, Roaring Moon, and Dragapult. It does have coverage to hit Kingambit hard, but the others are faster and will outspeed it before it has a chance to react, giving them a free turn to setup, which is absolutely something you don't want to see against Pokemon so fast.
I think it worth noting that Soul Dew just boosts Latios's two STAB types, as opposed to Ogerpon masks boosting ALL its moves by 1.2x. This can come into play where Coverage is concerned, which will come up decently often because both of Latios's STABs falter into Steel types. Latios has more initial power if its STABs work, but it lacks that same power to hit switch-ins to those STABs compared to Ogerpon-W having a decent hit from Play Rough or the "not just damage"discouragement of Knock Off (Psychic Noise's heal block is more match-up specific for improving things). Calm Mind does give it some way to capitalize on gained turns but it doesn't have the same snowball pressure, especially since Draco runs counter to Boosting Sweeps.

The Defensive profile behind that output still helps for Balance and fatter teams that lean less on their match-ups than bulk, bringing a decent speed and resistance to at least some Priority like Grassy Glide, but I hung up on the Ogerpon-W comparison because I do think there is a notable gap in initial threat even if the starting power favors Latios. Latios could function for chunking fat mons who have little means to respond to the mentioned Defense, but it's more to wear out links or punch specific holes than Ogerpon or other Breakers like Roaring Moon, Kyurem, or even Zamazenta and Iron Moth which can runaway with the game after said Hole Punch (obviously this reflected by the rating differences).

Something I do think is underexplored is Luster Purge, which can create some defensive pressure if they opponent is relying on blanket/bulky checks to handle things, with the -1 inhibiting their ability to sit on a Special Attacker they might otherwise outlast or survive-to-cripple normally, synergizing pretty decently with Latios's access to Flip Turn for pivoting both on the predicted switch and on hitting a drop for an otherwise safe tank.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)