CAP 2 Smogon "Create a Pokemon" Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.
Completely new Pokemon
Evos, from experience get way out of hand and there are arguments in every topic. Take this one for example.

Ok. I am really pissed. Not that Warlax thing. You explained it and I understand. I can't find my freaking post. I want to change my vote, but I can't find it. So, I will say it here and then search to delete the other one.
Completly New Pokemon! After careful thinking I decided I'd rather help make a new onoe, then make an Evo consiering there isn't much freedom. I would feel a lot better in making something from scratch.

EDIT: Found the post. This is now my vote. TY.

My only advice would be that it is impossible to really choose what is "reasonable."

I mean, theoretically there could be a Fire/Water pokemon or a Fire/Ice Pokemon. They aren't quite realistic but might be pulled off with some innovative design.

My recommendation would be to start with a more exotic type like Fire, Ghost, Dark, Steel, or Dragon, and move from there. Every single type is essentially reasonable with something like Water or Flying.

In fact, I almost think it would be better to start with a Role poll (or even something broader like a concept discussion) before going into type.
Reasonable mostly applies to the evolution that looks like it isn't going to happen. It has to be something suggested by the movepool / concept. For example, I find it weird to give a Fighting type to a Pokemon without Fighting moves.

Ok what is this thread accomplishing right now, unless you still plan on tabulating all the votes throughout 13 pages yourself

imo make a new thread with a poll, and maybe arguments for and against each option in the OP. i feel like this thread is just getting bogged down and too long to read for people starting to post in it
I've already counted twelve of them. And there are like three votes on this page. A poll would defeat the purpose of this.

I say an Evolution of a Old poke, mabey something like Jynx, since the others in her group managed to get evo's then why not her

Not to bash the whole, "JYNX NEEDS EVO BADLY OMG"

I don't see her compared to Electabuzz and Magmar, really.

She's more of Mr. Mime's counterpart.

I changed my mind to new pokemon. What's the point of making new evolutions? Face it, sooner or later nintendo is gonna evolve every non legendary that doesn't already have 3 stages. So eventually all the evos we create will be useless once the real ones come out.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I changed my mind to new pokemon. What's the point of making new evolutions? Face it, sooner or later nintendo is gonna evolve every non legendary that doesn't already have 3 stages. So eventually all the evos we create will be useless once the real ones come out.
I really hope they don't evolve Skarmory/Heracross/Hippowdon.

No nintendo won't. Not everything needs an evolution.Just like wha MwL said, what if skarm got an evo, it would be uber. Unless they mad it steel/bug hehe lol. After 10 years they decided to evolve tangela and magmar/electibuzz. We would have to wait centeries to evolve all of them.

Not to bash the whole, "JYNX NEEDS EVO BADLY OMG"

I don't see her compared to Electabuzz and Magmar, really.

She's more of Mr. Mime's counterpart.
All 3 were together in the Kanto dex, with the same typings as the legendary birds, and they all got baby forms in the second generation.

...Mr. Mime? I don't really see the connection...

IggyBot

!battle
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'll vote New Pokemon but I really wouldn't mind seeing an evolution of Jynx, Farfetch'd, Sableye, Mawile, Pinsir, or especially a split off evolution of Dragonair. Water/Dragon ftw.

So I've been observing for awhile now, and here's how the two options appear to me. Most of this has been said already, but I'll reiterate.

New Evolution:

Pros:
  • Provides us with a framework for creating the new evolution. Gives a basis for sprite design, moves, and abilities (if we decide not to make new ones).
  • Lets us rescue our favorite old Pokemon from obscurity and give them a competitive edge.
  • Saves us the trouble of designing pre-evos.
Cons:
  • Limits our creativity as to what types can chosen, what moves make sense flavor-wise, and what designs that the sprite artist can come up with.
  • Many voters may drop out of voting if their favorite Pokemon is not chosen to evolve.
  • Also, if a voter's favorite Pokemon is chosen, he may disagree with choices that go against "his" pre-set design for that Pokemon, or try much too hard to pass his design off to others.
New Pokemon:

Pros:
  • Gives us full creativity over everything.
  • The end result feels more like the community's Pokemon, as no one person can claim ownership over the idea. Voters are more likely to continue voting in later threads.
  • More likely to get noticed by Nintendo/GameFreak for being an original design, and doesn't require a convoluted evolution method.
Cons:
  • I remember someone mentioning this in the Syclant thread. Having total freedom over the design can lead to the Pokemon seeming contrived, in a way. Being able to tweak a new Pokemon's stats to be just enough to OHKO or outspeed certain threats makes it too obvious that we're designing this solely with competitive battling in mind. Of course, this could also happen with a new evolution, but the current Pokemon's typing, abilities, or stats can serve to limit this.
  • Small need to design a pre-evolution. This wasn't that big of an issue in the last thread, but it still adds an extra poll. Of course, we could just design a single stage Pokemon, but that's rather boring.
Anyway, with all that said, my vote goes to completely new Pokemon. If we can avoid having the Pokemon designed solely to take out or stall very specific threats in OU, I think it could work. Maybe even make it a UU Pokemon like others have mentioned.

If we do end up going for the new Pokemon, I would hope that we eventually get around to making new evolutions. Maybe make one evolution for every three new Pokemon?

Psychic types, BTW was articuno a psychic type? Becuase over the 10 years of pokemon I thought it was an ice FLYING.

Mr.mime is a lonley old man. Jynx is an old lady hoar that no one likes.

All 3 were together in the Kanto dex, with the same typings as the legendary birds, and they all got baby forms in the second generation.

...Mr. Mime? I don't really see the connection...
Jynx is a girl Psychic Pokemon, and Mr. Mime was supposedly a male Psychic Pokemon in R/B/Y?

If Electabuzz, Magmar, and Jynx were together, she would've gotten an evolution.

If Electabuzz, Magmar, and Jynx were together, she would've gotten an evolution.
Yeah counterparts always get evos at the same time. Like Dusclops and Bane-OWAIT.

I don't really get that it limits our creativity. We are creating an entirely new Pokemon. We have many different roles and types to choose from. All that's different is that it evolves from something.

NEW POKE.

doing an evo of an old poke is not nearly as fun (or as challenging) as coming up with a poke from scratch.

He reminded him, presumably, because he wants everyones opinion to actually count. That or he, like me, just wants all the New Poke opinions to count...

I really don't get the big difference of creating a new pokemon or creating an evolution.

In fact, someone name a good idea for a completely new Pokemon.

Fuck you Cooper. ;p

Arcanine evo can be Fire/Dragon. He was begging for it since RBY.

It may not be the Chinese dragon you were thinking of, but from a competitive/flavor standpoint it works.

Well, I've been lurking the poles for the most part. I missed a few of them unfortunately. But, I'd like to be more active in the second one. Hopefully I can contribute something or other.

Anyways, I'm all for either option. But seeing as how I have to make a solid decision, I'm leaning a bit more towards a completely new Pokemon for the time being. I don't have much reason behind it, but it just seems to appeal to me more.

Oh, and to whoever said that making an evo doesn't limit creativity.

Let's say Smogon votes to make a Skarm evo. The next poll comes in that we want a Special Sweeper...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)