CAP 2 Smogon "Create a Pokemon" Part Deux: Art Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so mine looks too cute/lacking in power compared to the other ones.

... and it does look like Black Mage, doesn't it? XD

To be honest, I was actually going to make it look "scarier," but then it looked a bit too much like a Digimon. I'll do another drawing of it (with legs for kicking!) sometime soon.
It's more a combination of the two. Doug's looks strong without legs because of how large the upper body is. KoA's has a skinny body, but a built in weapon and legs, so it looks like it can do more. Your's does look more like a mage, which isn't really very Fighting type is. Legs would help us see how this would fight.

Atlas

I'm the Mary!
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
Ok, so mine looks too cute/lacking in power compared to the other ones.

... and it does look like Black Mage, doesn't it? XD

To be honest, I was actually going to make it look "scarier," but then it looked a bit too much like a Digimon. I'll do another drawing of it (with legs for kicking!) sometime soon.
it looks good but as much as pokemon likes to rehash ideas, i think cacturne should remain the only scarecrow pokemon

This is my design for the pokemon, was going with like a bare knuckle fighter theme hence the bandages on the hands, let me know what you guys think.

This is my design for the pokemon, was going with like a bare knuckle fighter theme hence the bandages on the hands, let me know what you guys think.
You know, I was thinking of doing something similar to this. I really like the design. Makes me think of a ghostly boxer who died from anorexia while trying to make weight.

Maniac, I like yours I would just try to make it more "pokemonesque". Maybe lose some detail on the hands (less bandages) and reshape the head. Did you take of picture of your art using a digital camera?

@Tyranitar, your centuar design is pretty interesting. The other not so much.

Maniac, I like yours I would just try to make it more "pokemonesque". Maybe lose some detail on the hands (less bandages) and reshape the head. Did you take of picture of your art using a digital camera?

@Tyranitar, your centuar design is pretty interesting. The other not so much.
In terms of reshape what do you mean exactly and yea its actually with my cell, i didnt get time to scan it.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

(Click for full picture)

I'm going to present the backstory for this pokemon design. It looks like there is some interest in it, so I'd like to fill out the background details and make visual changes, if necessary. My concept is not definitive. If someone else saw this design and thought about something completely different, I'd love to hear it. I intentionally tried to make this a design that could spark the imagination. I didn't want to do something so literal that you know the backstory just by looking at it. There's nothing wrong with literal designs, and there's always ways to put a new spin on a common idea. But, I want people to look at this and say, "Wow! I wonder what that could be...."

I started out wanting to do a ghost very different than anything presented so far. The mummy post got me thinking about other Egyptian visuals, not just a guy wrapped in cloth. The idea of a golden warrior like an Egyptian palace guard seemed to connote fighting. I was imagining visuals from the movies Scorpion King and Stargate. For some reason, when thinking about that, I was reminded of the movie Apocalypto (it was on TV recently, and it stuck in my head), with all the Aztec and Mayan imagery and all the tribal warriors depicted. I decided that I wanted something that looked clearly "tribal", but not specific to any single culture.

To bring the ghost part in, I naturally thought of a tribal warrior risen from the dead. There are a million interesting ways to spin that theme, but for some reason, I just didn't want this to be an undead zombie variation. I wanted a "Spirit", not a monster. I centered my thinking around concepts like "Fighting Spirit" or the "Spirit of Battle".

Because I had been considering imagery from Scorpion King and Stargate, I starting thinking about concepts of transporting through time, space, and other dimensions. That in turn, reminded me of Genies (or Djinnis, which I prefer), who are a magical tribe from Djinn, an alternate plane of existence, and they can be summoned into our world. Combined with the traditional golden tribal look of most genies, this became a major element of my design. For the ghost side of this pokemon, I decided to make this a "summoned spirit from somewhere else" -- whatever that means.

That's when things really started clicking. I quickly started drawing inspiration from other movies -- like Gladiator, Predator, Fight Club, and 300. Bear with me, I realize that's an eclectic list of movies there. But, I think it could be interesting if we flesh it out correctly. "Fighting Spirit" is what I've been calling this in my head, so I'll use it below. Obviously, this isn't a pokemon name and I'd love someone to suggest a good name.

Here's the story:

--------------------------------------------

The Fighting Spirit is a pokemon whose sole existence is battle. Fighting Spirits have no eyes, ears, nose, or mouth. They have a mystical Sixth Sense that gives them total awareness of their surroundings. They make little effort to communicate at all, preferring to simply fight as much as possible against formidable foes. They primarily use their large fists to directly attack their opponent. However, they also wield mystical energies capable of a variety of magical effects.

No one knows where Fighting Spirits come from, but they can magically appear almost anywhere. A Fighting Spirit is drawn to the opportunity for combat. However, it will only appear for combat against a worthy opponent. For this reason, only the most experienced trainers will ever randomly encounter a Fighting Spirit. Once caught, a Fighting Spirit will battle faithfully for its trainer. However, if not given the opportunity for challenging battle on a regular basis, it will leave its trainer, never to appear again. It seems to particularly relish the opportunity to face opposing Machamps, whose fighting prowess is legendary. If Fighting Spirits ever face off against each other, they perform a short mystical pre-fight ritual - whose meaning and significance is unknown.

Scientists have speculated that the Fighting Spirit is not a spirit at all, but rather a being from another dimension. It's tatoos, ceremonial golden bands, and ritualistic ways indicate that it is actually part of a spirit tribe. A tribe who raises their young from birth, solely for combat. They say that Fighting Spirits appear in our world after the culmination of their training, possibly for sport. When Fighting Spirits are bred and hatched in this world, scientists suspect that their evolutionary process is different from other pokemon. When evolving, the young Spirits actually return to their home dimension for extensive training, and then fold both time and space in making an apparently instantaneous return in "evolved" form.

Should you ever come into contact with a Fighting Spirit, consider it both an honor and a challenge. And be prepared for a ferocious battle with this fearsome mystical pokemon.

Took me awhile to find this thread.

It took me awhile to think of what a ghost/fighting-type would be. Just about every other kind of "fighter" had been taken (boxer, wrestler, kung fu guy, etc.). Then I thought about death in battle, which then lead to Vikings and the concept of Valhalla and such (those who die honorably in battle feasting and fighting in the afterlife). I call him Valhollow. :D

StrangerDanger

RETURN TO COMPETITIVE POKEMON ISLAND
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Doug, maybe if you gave him a goofy/menacing toon face, or perhaps smaller biceps and larger forearms, to give him an all-around 'cartoon'-y feel, he'd be more like a pokemon.

Also, i'm not sure about the color scheme. He looks more like a Ground type, perhaps more use of the darker colors? I like the designs on the arm, those are cool

I call him Valhollow.
Somebody needs to cut down on the Bleach. That someone is me, because I actually understood your reference....

Seriously though, I like your design. It'd be nice to see it inked, because apparently that's how people like their art. What's also cool is that he could be given both fist and slicing techniques.

Somebody needs to cut down on the Bleach. That someone is me, because I actually understood your reference....

Seriously though, I like your design. It'd be nice to see it inked, because apparently that's how people like their art. What's also cool is that he could be given both fist and slicing techniques.
It's actually not a Bleach reference. Hollow as in "All Hollow's Eve/Day."

I'll ink it as soon as I get these issues I'm having with Photoshop worked out.

Took me awhile to find this thread.

It took me awhile to think of what a ghost/fighting-type would be. Just about every other kind of "fighter" had been taken (boxer, wrestler, kung fu guy, etc.). Then I thought about death in battle, which then lead to Vikings and the concept of Valhalla and such (those who die honorably in battle feasting and fighting in the afterlife). I call him Valhollow. :D
I like this one quite a bit. Its background story is very creative, and I agree on the part about every other kind of "fighter" being taken. It also looks very Pokemon-like. However, I think the one problem is the same one we've been having... weapons shouldn't be explicit when it comes to Pokemon.

I like this one quite a bit. Its background story is very creative, and I agree on the part about every other kind of "fighter" being taken. It also looks very Pokemon-like. However, I think the one problem is the same one we've been having... weapons shouldn't be explicit when it comes to Pokemon.
It's his other forearm he's using, actually. It'd be a bit less awkward-looking if he were animated.

It's his other forearm he's using, actually. It'd be a bit less awkward-looking if he were animated.
Yeah, I realized it was his other arm, since the other arm does look broken off. Perhaps you could make the blade of the axe look more "organic"? Kind of like how Scyther's scythes look like they could also be wings.

I like DougJustDoug's design especially, because, unlike the Marionette design, this one actually looks like it could be defensive due to its size.

DougJustDoug

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Didn't Lucario have a bat? I haven't seen it in a long time, but I have a recollection of seeing an image of Lucario holding a steel bat. Maybe it was a pre-release image or something. In fact, I thought that bat was the reason Luke learns moves like Bone Club. I did a quick internet search and couldn't find any bat-wielding Lucario. Am I just imagining it?

Didn't Lucario have a bat? I haven't seen it in a long time, but I have a recollection of seeing an image of Lucario holding a steel bat. Maybe it was a pre-release image or something. In fact, I thought that bat was the reason Luke learns moves like Bone Club. I did a quick internet search and couldn't find any bat-wielding Lucario. Am I just imagining it?
o_o I don't recall ever seeing Lucario with a bat, tbh. I'm not sure why it can learn bone moves like Marowak, then, but still... never seen it with a bat.

DougJustDoug

o_o I don't recall ever seeing Lucario with a bat, tbh. I'm not sure why it can learn bone moves like Marowak, then, but still... never seen it with a bat.
Here's a link to the original Smogon analysis for Lucario.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20477

It refers to a bat in two different movesets. The current online analysis makes no mention of it. What the heck happened to the bat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)