CAP 2 Smogon "Create a Pokemon" Part Deux: Art Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lorak

*leekspin*
is an Artist Alumnus
Well, I was trying to go with the intrinsic strength of a sandbag (granted, a leaky one, but still), and have defensive strength without muscular. The Fighting take was the "classic" boxing glove-in-the-box on a spring. (Random sucker punch, anyone?)

But yeah. I lack the talent to pull it off well artistically. Tons of ideas, but no way to make them nifty.

I tend to see-saw between thinking that that design will win, and that it doesn't have a chance unless it's made to look like a Pokemon. It's an awesome design, with an elaborate backstory. I keep wanting to do fanart of it so that I can make it fit with the game.
I'm going with the latter. Great design, but not for a Pokemon. AT ALL.

this might be a really late idea, but i was in ta'i chi today and i randomly thought...what about a ta'i chi inspired poke? it makes sense with the speed, since ta'i chi is much more about flow rather than swiftness...and the importance of chi and free flow of energy makes sense with the ghost typing...and it's a martial art, so that makes sense...

i dont know, anybody with art skills that could draw something up think it's a good idea?

I tried doing a ghost/fighting pokémon and here is how my sketch turned out:

I tried doing it with a little "Ninja"-style to it ^^;; Hope it turned out good enough =)

I don't know if anyone has tried a Banette evo draft as a possible candidate for our Ghost/Fight poke, but here's my rough 5-minute sketch anyhow.

I tried to stick to several citeria. First, that it may look like an actual poke. Secondly, that it may convey the feeling of a bulky Ghost/Fight type. Last, that it may resemble the poke from which it evolved from.

The very first sketch is at the bottom left, with which I'm very satisfied with. It's a full body side view. The proportions seem to be just about right to that of Banette's.

I added two extra legs to give it that extra bulky look. Arms have also been modified to make it look like battle-ready with the addition of claws and knuckles.

The tail, though it seems random, was inspired from Banette's club-like thing on its back.

The spikes on its back are pure filler, but add a more menacing look.

It may not be noticeable, but I moved Banette's zipper from its mouth to its belly, which I think is creepy, but cool.

The head was meant to look a bit demonic, but then I forgot Banette's ponytail-like thing she has. I redid the head just above, but it does not look right for some reason. So I just added the ponytail to attempt #1 on attempt #3, the front face view. Also note that I replaced Banette's zipper with threads, scarecrow style.

Lastly, there's a failed close-up at its fist. Would've redone it if I hadn't drawn this with a pen.

There are no colors, but I guess the color palette would be pretty much the same as Bannette's: pure black with golden accessories.

And... that's it. Hope y'all like it.

[EDIT] So I just noticed several Banette evos have been drafted too (I like KoA's). I'll still stick with mine's though. =]
[EDIT2] Woah! I just noted I'm totally late to submit anything. Crud! Should've payed more attention. Ah! disregard everything then.

This whole thing has been really poorly coordinated. Several people have totally ignored the first 'New Pokemon' poll and decided it will be an evo (and then pushed their art forward as a pseudo evo instead). And well over half the entrants and voters have completely ignored the stat spreads. It's a little off-putting, really.

Just curious: Will the new mummy pokemon's hands be drawn as fists of substance like Machamp's or fists of shadow like Dusknoir?

For me, Dusknoir's blockish hand feels somewhat artificial, which is perfect for a ghost that is not really living and is a spiritual force that manifesting into some form with a dubious coherence to its structure.
In addition, I would personally find it strange if the new pokemon had something like boxing gloves for hands.

Ummm i just saw this topic and wondered,why are you trying to evolve a ghost pokemon while you can evolve a fighting pokemon?
I had a crazy idea!
We will get defensive,offensive and balanced ghost/fight type pokemons from it!

Hitmonchan,you know him rite?Let him evolve and be a ghost/fight,he will be defensive.

Hitmonlee,you also know him!Let him evolve and be ghost/fight,he will be offensive!

And hitmontop is gonna be balanced,i just liked the idea,and had to say it!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)