Programming Showdex - An Auto-Updating Damage Calculator Built into Showdown!

If a battle finishes (irl, thisll happen earlier if a battle ends while you arent caught up) while you're using Calcdex as a battle overlay, the "Close Calcdex" button next to "Download Replay" will turn into "Open Calcdex" despite Calcdex staying open when you finish the battle. If you press either the "Open Calcdex" or the "Close Calcdex" (at the bottom of Calcdex) button, it won't do anything except make the "Open Calcdex" button say "Close Calcdex". They work normally after that.

View attachment 550353
Interesting, that's a neat edge case. We'll look into a fix, thanks for letting us know!

We're close to finishing the next patch, which will fix all these issues and more :) we've been having fun with Ditto and Zoroark, but we're hoping to release it in the next couple days!
Also we plan to allow you to edit the # of hits for multi-hit moves with the following patch :totodiLUL:
Nice!

The pokemons too, it's good to check the sets. I believe this can happen in others too, but Volcarona, for example, has 2 sets and only one appeared on the showdex.

(Although the 2 sets have things in common, not everything is the same. Just one example, in one of the sets Volcarona may have Tera Grass, which it would not currently show on the showdex).

Hello! Sorry if I'm late to the party and if I missed something within the 18 pages, but I have a question:

If I understand correctly, you are importing most sets from https://calc.pokemonshowdown.com/?

Would it be possible to add another similar source? I am thinking about https://nerd-of-now.github.io/NCP-VGC-Damage-Calculator/, which is the most up-to-date calculator for VGC players.
Cool suggestion!
We import sets from pre's API, but they're the same as the calc. I agree with you, it would be really awesome to give VGC players access to more relevant and up-to-date sets. We definitely plan to support loading sets from non-Smogon sources in a future update. As for that source specifically, I couldn't really find a file containing the sets on the Github, so I'm not sure on that front just yet. An alternative idea could be to scrape this Google Sheet and import the teams that way, but we'd have to set up a way of automatically updating on a frequent basis. Def doable, but would take some time :) we'll look into this further, there could be easier ways to do it potentially

Smudge

NatDex Doubles TL
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
I've noticed frequently that in at least National Dex formats (Doubles anyways, not sure if this is present in singles), that forms, particularly Mega Evolutions, don't auto update.
As you can see here, my Salamence is Mega'd, but the form didn't change upon evolution and even if you manually select it, it doesn't change the ability to Aerilate.

Not sure if it's a problem with my settings, but I don't think it is.

I think I've also seen this with Ogerpon simply not updating at all in VGC/DOU as well, maybe something to look into at a deeper level.
1697109153292.png

I've noticed frequently that in at least National Dex formats (Doubles anyways, not sure if this is present in singles), that forms, particularly Mega Evolutions, don't auto update.
As you can see here, my Salamence is Mega'd, but the form didn't change upon evolution and even if you manually select it, it doesn't change the ability to Aerilate.

Not sure if it's a problem with my settings, but I don't think it is.

I think I've also seen this with Ogerpon simply not updating at all in VGC/DOU as well, maybe something to look into at a deeper level.
View attachment 560859
Thanks for letting us know! We'll have both those bugs fixed in the upcoming patch :) we also realized that we should update the weather/terrain upon switching formes (manually), as that can affect the damages (i.e. Mega Zard Y Drought), so we'll try to fit that in as well. We plan to release the patch on Sunday. Sorry for the long wait, we wanted to include as many fixes as we can while making sure we don't break anything else in the process lol

Sorry if this is already known
The open team sheet auto importing opponent's sets to the calc doesn't work for me in Bo3 mode (only tried on the bo3 ladder), while being fine normally
On latest Firefox, if that's relevant

Sorry if this is already known
The open team sheet auto importing opponent's sets to the calc doesn't work for me in Bo3 mode (only tried on the bo3 ladder), while being fine normally
On latest Firefox, if that's relevant
Ivy Cudgel isn't updating in terms of damage when Ogerpon teras (Not giving additional boost when it should)
Both of these are fixed in the latest patch (1.1.7) which we released yesterday :) thanks for letting us know!
Make sure to update the extension if it doesn't automatically do it, especially on Firefox!

View attachment 562758

I always get this error as soon as battle starts, I've tried reinstalling the app and Firefox but nothing has worked.
Wow that's frustrating, hopefully I can help!
First thing, try the updated version of the extension (1.1.7), just in case that helps.

I have a few questions to try to narrow down the issue:
  1. What device are you using Showdex on? (PC, Mac, Chromebook, Android, iPhone)
  2. Does the "Hellodex" tab load? Are you able to access the settings?
  3. It crashes every time correct? But it used to work before? If so, when did you notice it stopped working?
  4. Do you have any other extensions installed that modify or interact with Showdown? (we've seen this be an issue a few times)

Patch 1.1.7 is out now!
We're back with a huge batch of bug fixes and full support for the new DLC (like Ogerpon's Ivy Cudgel). Open teamsheets now properly updates the opponent's set in Calcdex (along with support for Bo3). We also added a few QoL features like coloring the Tera toggles to indicate if tera's been used or not. You can read the full patch notes here. Thanks for being patient with us, we originally wanted to add more QoL features in this patch, but decided it was more important to squish all the bugs first. Hope ya'll enjoy <3
  • Hazard damage is now properly accounted for in the KO %
  • Updated Ivy Cudgel's move typing depending on the Ogerpon's forme
  • Added setting to automatically accept open team sheets in VGC formats (at the bottom of Settings)
  • HP properly resets when viewing a battle replay with Calcdex (before the mon remained fainted until they got sent out again)
    • To view a replay with Calcdex, find the replay URL and copy everything after ".com/" like below
      https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9freeforallrandombattle-1970993006-dhio1msfxkyyrj02j5whlm4jnffz45lpw
      Then enter this URL and paste what you copied at the end:
      https://play.pokemonshowdown.com/battle-gen9freeforallrandombattle-1970993006-dhio1msfxkyyrj02j5whlm4jnffz45lpw
    • This will load the replay in Showdown with the Calcdex syncing with the battle. If it doesn't work, make sure you're logged into Showdown.
  • Fixed Last Respects and Supreme Overlord (fallen count doesn't update after it's sent out)
    • Added a "Fallen" counter to manually set the fallen count (with Move edit enabled)
  • Ditto should sync properly with the right moves, level, and item
  • We now properly support Behemoth Blade (manually transforming), Acrobatics (with no item), Unburden (activates when item is used), Stakeout (activates when viewing a non-active mon), and Fur Coat (increases def)
  • Transformation syncing now works properly with megas and stuff like Ash-Greninja and Aegislash
  • In Randoms, EVs are now set to 85 instead of 84.
  • Flash Fire immunity correctly shows "immune" damage
  • Fixed issues with missing sets for Pokemon on your side
  • Fixed issue with Urshifu and open teamsheets
There's a lot I left out, so be sure to read the full patch notes if you're interested.

Wow that's frustrating, hopefully I can help!
First thing, try the updated version of the extension (1.1.7), just in case that helps.

I have a few questions to try to narrow down the issue:
  1. What device are you using Showdex on? (PC, Mac, Chromebook, Android, iPhone)
  2. Does the "Hellodex" tab load? Are you able to access the settings?
  3. It crashes every time correct? But it used to work before? If so, when did you notice it stopped working?
  4. Do you have any other extensions installed that modify or interact with Showdown? (we've seen this be an issue a few times)
Tried updating but it's not working :(

1. PC, Windows 10, Firefox
2. Yes, Hellodex and settings do load but I battles crash (give me the report I sent earleir) and I can't Import or Export (I can change other settings).
3. Yes, About a week ago, but I've not changed anything as far as I know.
4. I have "Pokémon Showdown Randbats Tooltip", but I've been using it for a while with Showdex and I've had no problems before.

Works on Chrome so I'll be using it to play showdown but it is quite strange how it stopped working nevertheless.

Last edited:

Ehmcee

A Spoopy Ghost
is a Pre-Contributor
I'm not quite sure why, but Showdex seems to stop using my Pokemon's Movesets and seems to assume their movesets based on the samples List.

Is this tied to a setting? I've tried checking the "Include Teambuilder" box under sets, without success.

If it helps, this issue started before the update so I believe it's unrelated

• To view a replay with Calcdex, find the replay URL and copy everything after ".com/" like below
    https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9freeforallrandombattle-1970993006-dhio1msfxkyyrj02j5whlm4jnffz45lpw
    Then enter this URL and paste what you copied at the end:
    https://play.pokemonshowdown.com/battle-gen9freeforallrandombattle-1970993006-dhio1msfxkyyrj02j5whlm4jnffz45lpw
  • This will load the replay in Showdown with the Calcdex syncing with the battle. If it doesn't work, make sure you're logged into Showdown.
There's a lot I left out, so be sure to read the full patch notes if you're interested.
Suggestion: When reviewing matches that have already ended, there could be an option for the Pokémon on your opponent's team to remain hidden, as if it were the first time you were watching the replay. This is how replays normally work, and having this option could help maintain the surprise for anyone who is recording content about the match and wants to let the Pokémon be revealed as the match develops. Of course, leaving it as an optional button to reveal or not reveal the six Pokémon from the first turn of the game, anyone would be free to choose to leave them revealed (as it currently works) or not revealed (my suggestion).

I suggested it as a double option (reveal or not reveal) because I think it would be better to have both options instead of just one.

So, if you revisit a battle that's already over, there could be somewhere for you to choose the option you want at the time (not necessarily in the corner I suggested below). It could be another way too. The idea is to have both options.

Last edited:
Suggestion: Make the showdex work properly in the [Gen 9] Random Battle Mayhem format (where it has the rules Camomons Mod, Inverse Mod, Scalemons Mod and Shared Power). It may be challenging to do this, but it would be a cool implementation to help with calculations. Furthermore, it is worth mentioning that this format is present in the ladder.

Camomons Mod: Pokémon have their types set to match their first two moves.

Inverse Mod: The mod for Inverse Battle which inverts the type effectiveness chart; weaknesses become resistances, while resistances and immunities become weaknesses.

Scalemons Mod: Every Pokémon's stats, barring HP, are scaled to give them a BST as close to 600 as possible (If you type /scale pikachu, instead of /dt pikachu, in some pokemon showdown chat, for example, you will see the difference).

Shared Power: Once a Pokémon switches in, its ability is shared with the rest of the team.

Last edited:
In RBY, my opponent seems to have a stat debuff in every game, every turn. Does not appear to affect SV OU. Chansey normally has 703/108/108/308/198. These stats are equal to lvl 100 Chansey with maxed out DVs however 0 EVs in every stat. This affects all of my opponent's Pokemon

Pop!_OS / Firefox

View attachment 563773
i am also now getting a new calc bug in RBY that's probably just this

Is there anyway to use showdex with the showdown windows client? I tried it once on browser and don't think I can go back, but would still prefer to use the desktop client over browser

Ehmcee

A Spoopy Ghost
is a Pre-Contributor
I'm not quite sure why, but Showdex seems to stop using my Pokemon's Movesets and seems to assume their movesets based on the samples List.

Is this tied to a setting? I've tried checking the "Include Teambuilder" box under sets, without success.

If it helps, this issue started before the update so I believe it's unrelated
Wanted to double check on this as it's still going on, tried uninstalling and installing again and it didn't seem to work

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 4)