Shaymin

I was running some calcs and noticed that hidden power ice its not that useful on him, specially due to having Dazzling Gleam to take out those threats;

212 SpA Shaymin Seed Flare vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Landorus-T: 189-223 (49.4 - 58.3%) -- 68.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
212 SpA Shaymin Seed Flare vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Gliscor: 201-237 (56.7 - 66.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal
212 SpA Life Orb Shaymin Dazzling Gleam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Dragonite: 185-218 (57 - 67.2%) After Stealth Rock
212 SpA Life Orb Shaymin Dazzling Gleam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Kyurem-B: 200-237 (51 - 60.4%) -- 89.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
212 SpA Life Orb Shaymin Dazzling Gleam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mandibuzz: 190-226 (44.8 - 53.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers
212 SpA Life Orb Shaymin Seed Flare vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 276-328 (68.3 - 81.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
212 SpA Life Orb Shaymin Seed Flare vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Tyranitar in Sand: 237-281 (58.6 - 69.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
212 SpA Life Orb Shaymin Seed Flare vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 235-278 (65.6 - 77.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
212 SpA Life Orb Shaymin Seed Flare vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Garchomp: 214-253 (59.7 - 70.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

All calcs where done with a Timid nature. As you can see hidden power ice its not that important for him as Fire would be, so i think it could be removed from the options and Hp Rock is somewhat questionable. The Spd drop is very important as it allows you to defeat pokémon that you would otherwise run away from, such as Multiscale Dragonite; without the Life Orb there is only an 11.7% chance to 2HKO Dragonite after SR but after the Spd Drop it can OHKO with Dazzling Gleam, this Drop also allows you to defeat 252 Hp/252 Atk Mega Abomasnow and it can 2HKO 252 Hp/4 Spd Ferrothorn and Venusaur with Earth Power and 252 Hp/252 Spa/4 Spd Assault Vest Goodra and 252 HP/0 Spd Mandibuzz (modest ensures the 2HKO too) because the previous 4 mons are not able to OHKO you after the two first Life Orb recoils. Don't try to fight faster pokémon after the drop if they can OHKO you, like Mega Pinsir or Talon Flame or if after the drop you can't OHKO them.

So spam Seed Flare wisely after team preview. This is the best Shaymin to run, since that way you can save an extra space in your box by using the same Shaymin for OU and Sky Shaymin for Ubers by just changing items.

Last edited:
wyndamn Shaymin doesn't need to run full Speed anyway, so whether or not it uses Hidden Power Rock is irrelevant, as it only needs to outspeed a specific benchmark.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
So ginganinja and I were discussing about Shaymin. And we're practically asking "why use it in OU?"

I understand this analysis is done, and I apologize that it has to be this way, but let's be honest - Shaymin sucks in OU lol. Too much Flying priority going against it, Scolipede is a common shitface to it, Mega Venusaur can at least tank a hit and threaten with Sludge Bomb, etc.

QC Rejected 1/3

Colonel_M, your few arguments aren't very good ones.

Shaymin sucks in OU lol. Too much Flying priority going against it, Scolipede is a common shitface to it, Mega Venusaur can at least tank a hit and threaten with Sludge Bomb, etc.
Wow, you've mentioned two Pokemon and a group consisting of about two other Pokemon as your only basis for rejecting it (at least, that you've posted). Most of these aren't even completely relevant anyway, Mega Pinsir and Talonflame can't switch in on Hidden Power Rock, if Scolipede isn't LO it can't OHKO Shaymin where Shaymin can OHKO back, if it Protect + Substitutes then it will eventually be beaten, and if it is LO, then at least it can't switch in, Mega Venusaur can't switch in lest it gets 2HKOed by Psychic, so these are situational answers at best.

I can repost my thoughts from the reservation thread later, but I'm too lazy to now.

Anyway, this is why I believe Shaymin should get an analysis:
  • Seed Flare is a great reason on its own, giving Shaymin a powerful STAB move to spam, with a 40% chance of obtaining a Special Defense drop, meaning most bulky switch-ins that may try to come on Shaymin get forced out again by the fact that Shaymin can now OHKO them with a coverage move.
  • Really good answer to Rotom-W, basically not minding anything it does.
  • Decently powerful breaker midgame with its combination of Special Defense drops and great coverage.
  • Most "would be" answer to it can't switch in at all on the appropriate coverage move, dying instantly. Prediction is a part of Pokemon, so don't say that this is a difficult feat.
  • Great bulk, not Mega Venusaur levels but enough to tank neutral hits surprisingly well. Mega Venusaur isn't as fast, nor does it have Seed Flare, nor does it not give a shit about being burned by Rotom-W.
  • Cures status instantly upon switch.
  • Synthesis or Rest + Natural Cure for reliable recovery, with Shaymin's bulk it is difficult to wear down.
  • No Mega slot :P
  • Why would you use this? Ok, I want a Grass-type sweeper or wallbreaker that isn't frail, as most of my team can't break through Rotom-W, or my sweepers have trouble with Quagsire. Maybe one with nice coverage so it's checks can't switch in. One with enough power behind its STAB move to put a dent in things, while still possessing decent Speed and bulk.
I can talk a lot more about Shaymin, I can have people back me up, and also, it is finished, its viable, there shouldn't be any question.

Yeah lol what why is Shaymin getting rejected.... Like it's literally the best specially offensive Grass-type in the tier bar Mega Venusaur (Who's offensive set was rejected for whatever reason, so I guess it's actually the best :P)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)