(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

There's still no Fire/Grass Pokémon, even though it's incredibly obvious that a Sunflower Pokémon would work. Hell, I would have been happy if they added Fire typing to Sunflora (with a couple stat increases).

Speaking of stat increases, I wish they went farther with them in gen 7. There's a few Pokémon that desperately need them. Ledian bothers me the most. It has an emphasis on punching and gets Iron Fist, but has the same attack as Gastly. It also has a BST under 400, something I think any final stage evolution shouldn't have. I don't need it to become good, just for it to not feel like a waste of space on my team for the entire game. Give it +30 attack. Even at just 65 attack, I would find it mildly useful when I first evolve it.

I don't really enjoy the fact that there's not a lot of Pokémon to find in Sun/Moon. On one hand this does lead to a more compact Pokédex that's easier to complete, and that alone would make it fine for me... but because we don't have Pokémon Bank yet, that leaves us with a very meager selection of 'mon to battle with for now. If I'm correct, the full Alola dex + all the Island Scan Pokémon don't even comprise half of the National Pokédex. At least in XY you had, what, 550 Pokémon to choose from? Most of the missing ones were Legendaries and Starters, with very few really missing. It did mean there were way too many Pokémon in-game, yes, but at least it meant the wait for Bank was much less painful than it is now. For heck's sake, we have Kanto Starter Mega Stones but no Kanto Starters to use them on!

I don't really enjoy the fact that there's not a lot of Pokémon to find in Sun/Moon. On one hand this does lead to a more compact Pokédex that's easier to complete, and that alone would make it fine for me... but because we don't have Pokémon Bank yet, that leaves us with a very meager selection of 'mon to battle with for now. If I'm correct, the full Alola dex + all the Island Scan Pokémon don't even comprise half of the National Pokédex. At least in XY you had, what, 550 Pokémon to choose from? Most of the missing ones were Legendaries and Starters, with very few really missing. It did mean there were way too many Pokémon in-game, yes, but at least it meant the wait for Bank was much less painful than it is now. For heck's sake, we have Kanto Starter Mega Stones but no Kanto Starters to use them on!
This is all another reason why I'm focused, not on any of the usual postgame stuff but instead stuff like raising my in-game team to level 100 or stuff like that. I have three in-game teams thanks to all I played. At the same time, it's generally teaching me how hard it is to level anything up. I'm REALLY not looking forward to raising up defensive mons just because there's nothing I can really do easily to raise them up. Damnit, Gamefreak, you couldn't have added in an easy way to fight Chanseys at the postgame?

A small chance on wild Held Items that had me surprised and annoyed.

Imagine me trying to get a Black Sludge for my Toxapex.

So, what do you do?

Train a Butterfree so it has both Compound Eyes and Thief, and head to the Malie City Outer Cape as there are wild Grimer and Trubbish there.

You find a wild Trubbish and use Thief on it, and voilá! You get an item.

A Silk Scarf

Why?

Bulbapedia lists it as such; Trainer bonus apparently only happens from Red and Blue up until Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire. I did feel things were a bit off in-game, mind...

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
"So, you've forced us to change the glorious IV system. Well, here's a fix! But you have to be at level 100 to use it! And we're making it brutally hard to get to level 100! Now, don't you agree that our old system was better?"
No, now we're just going to say both IV systems suck. :P

Now I sort of get why they did it, they want to make it feel the Pokemon can still get stronger even upon reaching the max level (it could also be there way of compensating players who breed for perfect IV Pokemon). However the problem comes in when you look at the competitive scene which is why anyone would want the increase the IV of their Pokemon. Most competitive battling lowers the Pokemon's level to 50. Competitive players never needed to train their Pokemon to level 100, I wouldn't be surprised it many stopped at 50 because why bother? Okay, small applause for giving training to level 100 a reason... but then again if you make getting to level 100 feel like a slog you're making it feel like a chore than something fun to do. Having a post game location where you battled high leveled Pokemon like the White Treehollow/Black Tower would have not only made the grinding easier but also fun.

Though I will give the credit for finding how they did the IV maxing: your Pokemon's IVs don't change but they act as if it was maxed. That way Hidden Power remains unaffected... which you still can't get a Fairy-type (or Normal-type) one. I still think they should change Hidden Power so you can make it any type you want.

Though I will give the credit for finding how they did the IV maxing: your Pokemon's IVs don't change but they act as if it was maxed. That way Hidden Power remains unaffected... which you still can't get a Fairy-type (or Normal-type) one. I still think they should change Hidden Power so you can make it any type you want.
Or some kind of item that forces the baby to have an IV combination that gives it the same Hidden Power type as the parent that has it.

(Or better - given the Plates are supposed to be divine items, make them force the baby to have the same Hidden Power type as the one the Plate boosts - say, Flame Plate on a parent makes all babies have HP Fire)

On another matter that can be annoying... the fact that Island Scan Pokemon cannot SOS Call. Why are we not allowed to have their Hidden Abilities without an earlier generation game? :(

I never understood what thought process was used to make Hidden Power.

"Hey, you know what'd be cool? An attack that can be any type! But let's restrict the learn movepool to Unown and Slowing at first so people are forced to use the single-use TM; those stores and game corners have to have repeat customers somehow. On top of that, let's make the type determined by a formula that makes getting a specific hidden power type all up to chance. Just to make sure nobody will use it though, let's never mention the actual factors or anything related to what determines the type ingame. And just to be safe, let's make the damage varying between absolutely terrible to decent so that nobody but the most hardened breeders and soft resetters can use it to any remotely decent use."

Now to gen V and VI's credit, they did fix a lot of this, but for a move that gives much-needed and sometimes mandatory coverage, I have no idea why it was made to be such a lottery.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
^I can see the logic behind Hidden Power, at least in the beginning. Having a move whose power and type varies completely from Pokémon to Pokémon was a neat and original idea.

The problem was that the move was exploitable. A decently-powered move of any type on any Pokémon? It could give the player an advantage on the competitive scene, and as such a Nash equilibrium was quickly established: Everybody else uses Hidden Power, so to play on level terms you need to use it too - and so, everybody was reuired to grind (or cheat!) to get a Hidden Power of the right type and power. The same went for IVs, by the way. A random mechanic that can give players an advantage, is a mechanic that players will have to exploit the randomness out of to obtain a level playing field. This is pretty basic game theory (which is a fun little field of mathematics).

So I understand that they decided to fix the base power of Hidden Power, especially as the competitive scene became global. In that sense, I find it rather strange that they keep insisting on keeping the lottery element of it, or for that matter in Pokémon in general. In a metagame such as this, randomness is just an obstacle to be overcome. A player looking to build a specific team with specific Pokémon for a specific purpose, would not want randomness. This is not a stage of the game where anything goes, or when you take whatever you get. Players want to be specific, because that is required to play on that level. If you don't, you're at a disadvantage.

Let's use an example, and copy/paste a random Pokémon moveset (in this case, the first I found in the Battle Tree thread):

Tapu Lele @ Psychium Z
Ability: Psychic Surge
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 180 Def / 4 SpA / 4 SpD / 68 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Substitute
- Protect

Let's say that you want to compete in the Pokémon World Championships, and that you've built a team where this Pokémon figures. Or you want it to conquer the Battle Tree (Level 51 posted this set for a 196-battle streak, which is quite respectable). Either way, you have decided that this Tapu Lele build is the one you need.

To use a term from game theory (probably mis-use, but hey, that's an insignificant detail for the sake of this explanation), let's call this specific Tapu Lele build a solution. It is established that this is the Tapu Lele build that would be the optimal one, and give you the greatest probability of winning. Naturally, you would want to obtain this build, since it is assumed that you will be at a relative disadvantage if you don't use this specific set. Ergo, obtaining and tweaking the Tapu Lele is the "game" you're playing, and this specific build is the "solution" you're aiming for. I'm probably botching the terms pretty badly, but let's just roll with it.

In order to arrive at the solution, though, Game Freak has dictated that you need to roll the dice. Several times. First, you have to find a Tapu Lele. Not a big problem, considering that it can be found with 100 % certainty in a fixed location in every copy of Pokémon Sun or Moon. You have to beat a large portion of the game to find it, but that is kind of the prerequisite for high-level cartridge play anyway. You can easily obtain this part of the solution without leaving anything to chance. Or rather, randomness cannot terminate the process. No matter what you do within the confines of the games, you can't arrive in a situation where you can never find a Tapu Lele (of course, you can only find one in every game, but let's not dwell on that).

But then it gets quirky. In that you'll probably encounter a Quirky nature Tapu Lele before you get a Bold one. You can use an appropriate-natured Synchronize Pokémon to raise the odds to 50 %, which is slightly better. But for the sake of finding our solution, we will not accept any other outcome than the desired one. If the Tapu Lele doesn't have the right nature, the process has to be terminated, and we have to start again from the beginning. The Nature coin flip therefore only serves to consume time (or rather, increase the amount of iterations of the game). We can lower the required time a lot, but we can't solve the process with certainty within a single iteration of the process.

The same goes for Tapu Lele's IVs. Luckily for us, we only have to care about the Attack IV, thanks to Hyper Training. In previous generations, this was a painful and probably insurmountable obstacle, as obtaining the right IV spread for a Legendary Pokémon was an unsolvable task in practise. If the desired solution was a specific build, the only viable approach was to cheat.
Sidenote: I'm not sure if cheating is considered in game theory, but if I were to guess, I'd say it represents a failure of the game itself. If the only winning move is to cheat, the "game" (not the physical Pokémon game, just the "game" of obtaining the specific build) is broken (well, unwinnable, but since cheating is possible, the task can be completed anyway). Arguably, saving and resetting until the dice rolls your way is cheating, but it's universally accepted by the community, so let's say it counts as honest play.

Luckily, Game Freak has already addressed this bothersome issue of IVs, and raised the odds of obtaining a 31/0/4x31 Legendary from "zero, for all practical purposes" to a more manageable 1/64. (1/2 chance of Attack being a perfect stat, 1/32 chance of it otherwise being zero - the rest of the IVs can be solved with Hyper Training). Still, as we will not accept any other outcome than the desired one, we have no choice but to reset sixty-four times or so. Or, wait, 128. I forgot the dice roll above. Since Natures and IVs (and also Hidden Power) are all determined in the same process (by RNG when the Pokémon is interacted with), you have to terminate the process if its outcome isn't 100 % desired.

If Hidden Power was a factor (say that we want HP Fire on it, since that is a popular move for Tapu Lele and we have no other way of getting past Ferrothorn), we would have to multiply the above odds by 1/16. Since, again, we don't consider chance as anything other than wasted time, this would just force us through more iterations of the process until the desired outcome occurs.

Contrast this with the elements we can solve without invoking chance, and which therefore can be solved without starting the process anew. Obtaining the desired moves, Ability and hold item for this Tapu Lele build are all simple processes. Psychic, Protect and Substitute are compatible TMs, and it already has Moonblast when you catch it. The Psychicium-Z is presumably already in your possession when you encounter Tapu Lele as well, if not it's trivial to obtain. Since it only has one Ability, this is an element you will safely solve no matter what. The Level is (thankfully) not even an issue. Likewise, the EVs can also be solved in a single iteration of the "game", as long as you don't screw up and have to reset. But since EV training is a completely different and infinitely repeatable process by itself, I don't consider it a problem. Under assumption of optimal play, randomness isn't even an issue in that process, and as such the solution is trivial.

Oh, wow, this became a rather long post. Let's try to wrap it up:

Basically, randomness in high level Pokémon play is undesired. That is, randomness that influences your odds of completing a defined task (capturing the Pokémon you want). Players seek to obtain very specific Pokémon builds, through known methods and processes, and ideally following the rules of the game. Some of those processes are heavily influenced by randomness, and have a great probability of resulting in an undesired outcome. Therefore, players need to go through many iterations to complete the task. This randomness turns Pokémon training/catching into a game of chance rather than a game of skill (team building is still a game of skill, but Pokémon training is a crucial part of it if you want to go from theory to practise).

Game Freak has addressed the ridiculous amount of dice-rolling required to play their game on the highest level in the past, but for some reason is reluctant to lower it to zero. Control over a Pokémon's Nature, Ability, IVs and often Hidden Power type is required to achieve optimal play. Yet the only way to control them is to go through hundreds or even thousands of iterations of simple processes, without any means to affect their outcome.

Personally, I can see no reason why there shouldn't be a way to change Natures in-game, change Hidden Power types, and tweak IVs. We are all doing it already, but the process is slow and cumbersome, non-reversable once an outcome has been accepted, and only minutely affected by skill and preparation. Don't go tell me that it would be more "honest" to obtain the right IVs through hours of soft-resetting than talking to an NPC and selecting it from a menu. It's effectively the same process for the same end goal, you would still be pressing buttons until the right outcome is achieved, and following the defined rules of the game. By the same logic, it would be more "honest" not to use a Synchronize Pokémon.

My oh my, that was a long one. Perhaps I should just submit it straight to The Flying Press?

My oh my, that was a long one. Perhaps I should just submit it straight to The Flying Press?
This reminds me. I have a Gen IV era report on probability in Pokemon and how often strategy gets messed up or succeeds big time thanks to the random number generator that I submitted for my graduate probability course. It actually used a kind of Monte Carlo analysis via a 1-v-1 Matlab simulator I wrote for determining the win/loss rates as well as how well you win and lose. I've been meaning to update that and submit that here or somewhere else. We can probably do a whole series of how probability screws you while playing Pokemon.

I did something stupid (Blissey vs Giratina-Origin) where Giratina's strategy was "spam Outrage" and Blissey's strategy was "spam Blizzard, then Thunder. If under half health, use Soft-Boiled" and Giratina would win like 75% of the time due to the sheer power of Giratina's Outrage. Blissey would typically only win if Giratina got frozen, hit itself in confusion too many times, or got critted.

-----

But I digress, Game Freak probably still doesn't realize how much we abuse the current system. They probably still barely understand how many people optimize for 0 IVs (especially if not in speed) and, hell, then you see weird things like a Pheromosa set with a 19 IV in order to get Beast Boost to boost something else. And I've seen similar things with Celesteela. Hell, I'm almost 100% certain Game Freak isn't going to expect that people used Tapu Koko as a special attacker.

^I can see the logic behind Hidden Power, at least in the beginning. Having a move whose power and type varies completely from Pokémon to Pokémon was a neat and original idea.

The problem was that the move was exploitable. A decently-powered move of any type on any Pokémon? It could give the player an advantage on the competitive scene, and as such a Nash equilibrium was quickly established: Everybody else uses Hidden Power, so to play on level terms you need to use it too - and so, everybody was reuired to grind (or cheat!) to get a Hidden Power of the right type and power. The same went for IVs, by the way. A random mechanic that can give players an advantage, is a mechanic that players will have to exploit the randomness out of to obtain a level playing field. This is pretty basic game theory (which is a fun little field of mathematics).

So I understand that they decided to fix the base power of Hidden Power, especially as the competitive scene became global. In that sense, I find it rather strange that they keep insisting on keeping the lottery element of it, or for that matter in Pokémon in general. In a metagame such as this, randomness is just an obstacle to be overcome. A player looking to build a specific team with specific Pokémon for a specific purpose, would not want randomness. This is not a stage of the game where anything goes, or when you take whatever you get. Players want to be specific, because that is required to play on that level. If you don't, you're at a disadvantage.

Let's use an example, and copy/paste a random Pokémon moveset (in this case, the first I found in the Battle Tree thread):

Tapu Lele @ Psychium Z
Ability: Psychic Surge
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 180 Def / 4 SpA / 4 SpD / 68 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Substitute
- Protect

Let's say that you want to compete in the Pokémon World Championships, and that you've built a team where this Pokémon figures. Or you want it to conquer the Battle Tree (Level 51 posted this set for a 196-battle streak, which is quite respectable). Either way, you have decided that this Tapu Lele build is the one you need.

To use a term from game theory (probably mis-use, but hey, that's an insignificant detail for the sake of this explanation), let's call this specific Tapu Lele build a solution. It is established that this is the Tapu Lele build that would be the optimal one, and give you the greatest probability of winning. Naturally, you would want to obtain this build, since it is assumed that you will be at a relative disadvantage if you don't use this specific set. Ergo, obtaining and tweaking the Tapu Lele is the "game" you're playing, and this specific build is the "solution" you're aiming for. I'm probably botching the terms pretty badly, but let's just roll with it.

In order to arrive at the solution, though, Game Freak has dictated that you need to roll the dice. Several times. First, you have to find a Tapu Lele. Not a big problem, considering that it can be found with 100 % certainty in a fixed location in every copy of Pokémon Sun or Moon. You have to beat a large portion of the game to find it, but that is kind of the prerequisite for high-level cartridge play anyway. You can easily obtain this part of the solution without leaving anything to chance. Or rather, randomness cannot terminate the process. No matter what you do within the confines of the games, you can't arrive in a situation where you can never find a Tapu Lele (of course, you can only find one in every game, but let's not dwell on that).

But then it gets quirky. In that you'll probably encounter a Quirky nature Tapu Lele before you get a Bold one. You can use an appropriate-natured Synchronize Pokémon to raise the odds to 50 %, which is slightly better. But for the sake of finding our solution, we will not accept any other outcome than the desired one. If the Tapu Lele doesn't have the right nature, the process has to be terminated, and we have to start again from the beginning. The Nature coin flip therefore only serves to consume time (or rather, increase the amount of iterations of the game). We can lower the required time a lot, but we can't solve the process with certainty within a single iteration of the process.

The same goes for Tapu Lele's IVs. Luckily for us, we only have to care about the Attack IV, thanks to Hyper Training. In previous generations, this was a painful and probably insurmountable obstacle, as obtaining the right IV spread for a Legendary Pokémon was an unsolvable task in practise. If the desired solution was a specific build, the only viable approach was to cheat.
Sidenote: I'm not sure if cheating is considered in game theory, but if I were to guess, I'd say it represents a failure of the game itself. If the only winning move is to cheat, the "game" (not the physical Pokémon game, just the "game" of obtaining the specific build) is broken (well, unwinnable, but since cheating is possible, the task can be completed anyway). Arguably, saving and resetting until the dice rolls your way is cheating, but it's universally accepted by the community, so let's say it counts as honest play.

Luckily, Game Freak has already addressed this bothersome issue of IVs, and raised the odds of obtaining a 31/0/4x31 Legendary from "zero, for all practical purposes" to a more manageable 1/64. (1/2 chance of Attack being a perfect stat, 1/32 chance of it otherwise being zero - the rest of the IVs can be solved with Hyper Training). Still, as we will not accept any other outcome than the desired one, we have no choice but to reset sixty-four times or so. Or, wait, 128. I forgot the dice roll above. Since Natures and IVs (and also Hidden Power) are all determined in the same process (by RNG when the Pokémon is interacted with), you have to terminate the process if its outcome isn't 100 % desired.

If Hidden Power was a factor (say that we want HP Fire on it, since that is a popular move for Tapu Lele and we have no other way of getting past Ferrothorn), we would have to multiply the above odds by 1/16. Since, again, we don't consider chance as anything other than wasted time, this would just force us through more iterations of the process until the desired outcome occurs.

Contrast this with the elements we can solve without invoking chance, and which therefore can be solved without starting the process anew. Obtaining the desired moves, Ability and hold item for this Tapu Lele build are all simple processes. Psychic, Protect and Substitute are compatible TMs, and it already has Moonblast when you catch it. The Psychicium-Z is presumably already in your possession when you encounter Tapu Lele as well, if not it's trivial to obtain. Since it only has one Ability, this is an element you will safely solve no matter what. The Level is (thankfully) not even an issue. Likewise, the EVs can also be solved in a single iteration of the "game", as long as you don't screw up and have to reset. But since EV training is a completely different and infinitely repeatable process by itself, I don't consider it a problem. Under assumption of optimal play, randomness isn't even an issue in that process, and as such the solution is trivial.

Oh, wow, this became a rather long post. Let's try to wrap it up:

Basically, randomness in high level Pokémon play is undesired. That is, randomness that influences your odds of completing a defined task (capturing the Pokémon you want). Players seek to obtain very specific Pokémon builds, through known methods and processes, and ideally following the rules of the game. Some of those processes are heavily influenced by randomness, and have a great probability of resulting in an undesired outcome. Therefore, players need to go through many iterations to complete the task. This randomness turns Pokémon training/catching into a game of chance rather than a game of skill (team building is still a game of skill, but Pokémon training is a crucial part of it if you want to go from theory to practise).

Game Freak has addressed the ridiculous amount of dice-rolling required to play their game on the highest level in the past, but for some reason is reluctant to lower it to zero. Control over a Pokémon's Nature, Ability, IVs and often Hidden Power type is required to achieve optimal play. Yet the only way to control them is to go through hundreds or even thousands of iterations of simple processes, without any means to affect their outcome.

Personally, I can see no reason why there shouldn't be a way to change Natures in-game, change Hidden Power types, and tweak IVs. We are all doing it already, but the process is slow and cumbersome, non-reversable once an outcome has been accepted, and only minutely affected by skill and preparation. Don't go tell me that it would be more "honest" to obtain the right IVs through hours of soft-resetting than talking to an NPC and selecting it from a menu. It's effectively the same process for the same end goal, you would still be pressing buttons until the right outcome is achieved, and following the defined rules of the game. By the same logic, it would be more "honest" not to use a Synchronize Pokémon.

One more little stipulation: The metagame, by it's very nature, is always changing. By the time you finally do have the ideal Pokémon you want, it might only be the ideal set for a few months. It's preferred Hidden Power might have changed, new innovations may have happened, a new significant Pokémon might have been introduced - through Hidden Ability releases, Event Pokémon releases, new forms that came with a new game within the generation etc. - that render the previously standard set null and void. Hell, the Pokémon itself might become completely unviable with just the introduction of a new Pokémon, or it might even be banned if it gets a new tool.
tl;dr - even if you spend all this time to get your desired build, by the nature of an ever-evolving metagame it might not even be useful to have that build for long and you would have to start all over again.

One more little stipulation: The metagame, by it's very nature, is always changing. By the time you finally do have the ideal Pokémon you want, it might only be the ideal set for a few months. It's preferred Hidden Power might have changed, new innovations may have happened, a new significant Pokémon might have been introduced - through Hidden Ability releases, Event Pokémon releases, new forms that came with a new game within the generation etc. - that render the previously standard set null and void. Hell, the Pokémon itself might become completely unviable with just the introduction of a new Pokémon, or it might even be banned if it gets a new tool.
tl;dr - even if you spend all this time to get your desired build, by the nature of an ever-evolving metagame it might not even be useful to have that build for long and you would have to start all over again.
Hell, with the introduction of Z-Moves, each Pokemon has dozens of new options and we're only beginning to understand what SOME of the ideal uses for them are and I'm sure even late in the SM metagame we'll be discovering new things that change everything we know.

Despite having someone added in my friend list, and they having me, and resetting EVERYTHING multiple times, we could not connect to each other in Festival Plaza. If you were watching Riptidepow's stream this morning, you were witness to it.

I. HATE. THE. FESTIVAL. PLAZA. It's stupid, clunky, and doesn't bloody work.

The Roadblocks in this game are stupid. I understand the need to have them and I appreciate that but they could make them at least somewhat believable. No I don't care about your Stoutland Search, random NPC and I sure am not buying they'd lock areas of the region or shortcuts for trial goers only (Captain's Barricades). At least things like the Dancing Men from Gen 5 were funny. This is just stupid.

So we've talked about the whole Bottle Cap thing and how it doesn't work as well because of the difficulty in getting to level 100. One more aspect of that, particularly for competitive players.

For most mons, you can still breed for the necessary IVs, which only requires training up to level 50 if you're headed to Battle Spot (or a few levels higher if you need a level-up move in the 60s). Obviously that doesn't apply to the Undiscovered Egg Group, which can't breed. Now, let's say you had a mon that:
  • Is in the Undiscovered Egg Group, prohibiting breeding;
  • Is also in the Slow experience group, usually the most difficult to raise (except for the Erratic group); and
  • Is necessary to have any level of high-level success.
There wouldn't happen to be any mons who check all of those boxes, right, VGC players? Right?

The Roadblocks in this game are stupid. I understand the need to have them and I appreciate that but they could make them at least somewhat believable. No I don't care about your Stoutland Search, random NPC and I sure am not buying they'd lock areas of the region or shortcuts for trial goers only (Captain's Barricades). At least things like the Dancing Men from Gen 5 were funny. This is just stupid.
Oh my god. I want to punch that kid.

I know that the thread allows spoilers but I feel it's a bit too much of the plot I'm throwing out there without a tag, so here you go
You know what I'm a little bit annoyed at? Type: Null being postgame. It was hyped so much, I wanted one on my team, and then for the entire game you're wondering when you get your Type Null. You see Gladion, you get excited, but nope, nothing. Ultra Wormholes? UBs invading? Lusamine going crazy over a Nihilego? Having to follow her into the depths of Ultra Space? Sounds like GREAT times to get your very own Type Null, the Pokemon designed to fight UBs. Of course it's not like this information was put as readable documents right before Ultra Space became super important to the plot or that anyone said anything about the purpose of Type: Null being to combat UBs in a really important part of the game right before a major fight or anything
1478818297737.png

Haha no, better tuck it behind the postgame barrier in some undisclosed place that you have to guess (granted it's not like Aether Paradise is out of the blue; the only thing more typical would be looking for Hau in a Malasada Shop).

It would've been so much more fun teambuilding wise for that hyped mystery Pokemon to be something you can pick up and play the game through with, especially considering Gladion style "bond with your Pokemon to become strong" is such a solid part of the games, and Silvally / Null embody this. Instead, it's just another postgame gift Pokemon like Porygon.

And don't even get me started on how Type Null can actually be legally shiny, despite everything else being shiny-locked. Such an absolute absurd choice.
/rant

Last edited:
So many cool Pokémon get locked by being post game or by rare convoluted encounters. Why are there 2 in game trades to get a Bounsweet/Steene? I think I would know by now if I want one. Why do you get an egg of an Eevee when you can catch them right in the route below? They could have used these gifts to make Mareanie/Bruxish/Dhelmise/TypeN etc. not such a pain to get in game. Route 1 Pokémon like Gumshoos, Trumbeak, Pelliper and Raticate were way too common for their own good on the 3rd and 4th islands. Once again, I think I would know by now if I wanted them. Nobody beats 4 Kahunas and says you know what my team is missing? Raticate.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I know that the thread allows spoilers but I feel it's a bit too much of the plot I'm throwing out there without a tag, so here you go
You know what I'm a little bit annoyed at? Type: Null being postgame. It was hyped so much, I wanted one on my team, and then for the entire game you're wondering when you get your Type Null. You see Gladion, you get excited, but nope, nothing. Ultra Wormholes? UBs invading? Lusamine going crazy over a Nihilego? Having to follow her into the depths of Ultra Space? Sounds like GREAT times to get your very own Type Null, the Pokemon designed to fight UBs. Of course it's not like this information was put as readable documents right before Ultra Space became super important to the plot or that anyone said anything about the purpose of Type: Null being to combat UBs in a really important part of the game right before a major fight or anything

Haha no, better tuck it behind the postgame barrier in some undisclosed place that you have to guess (granted it's not like Aether Paradise is out of the blue; the only thing more typical would be looking for Hau in a Malasada Shop).

It would've been so much more fun teambuilding wise for that hyped mystery Pokemon to be something you can pick up and play the game through with, especially considering Gladion style "bond with your Pokemon to become strong" is such a solid part of the games, and Silvally / Null embody this. Instead, it's just another postgame gift Pokemon like Porygon.

And don't even get me started on how Type Null can actually be legally shiny, despite everything else being shiny-locked. Such an absolute absurd choice.
/rant
And thinking about it, they had the perfect chance to give it to you. You find out about Type: Null's history when you, Gladion, and Hau are invading the Aether Paradise (and that there's 3 Type: Nulls). Considering you might be facing against an Ultra Beast, maybe they could have had Gladion reluctantly offer the player and Hau the other two Type: Null. Hau would obviously reject, saying he believes in the team he has already. The player then would have a choice to accept it there or later in the post game where we did get it.

So many cool Pokémon get locked by being post game or by rare convoluted encounters. Why are there 2 in game trades to get a Bounsweet/Steene? I think I would know by now if I want one. Why do you get an egg of an Eevee when you can catch them right in the route below? They could have used these gifts to make Mareanie/Bruxish/Dhelmise/TypeN etc. not such a pain to get in game. Route 1 Pokémon like Gumshoos, Trumbeak, Pelliper and Raticate were way too common for their own good on the 3rd and 4th islands. Once again, I think I would know by now if I wanted them. Nobody beats 4 Kahunas and says you know what my team is missing? Raticate.
Worst is that some of the Pokemon people wanted were behind 5% of SOS Summon barriers. Mimickyu and Minior? 5% encounter rate (and Minior knows Self-Destruct). Mareanie sounds like a cool Pokemon to have... too bad its SOS Summon only from Corsola... who at best is a 10% encounter rate.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Worst is that some of the Pokemon people wanted were behind 5% of SOS Summon barriers. Mimickyu and Minior? 5% encounter rate (and Minior knows Self-Destruct). Mareanie sounds like a cool Pokemon to have... too bad its SOS Summon only from Corsola... who at best is a 10% encounter rate.
Minior actually has a 30 % encounter rate, so that's not half bad. But the amount of 5 % encounters is a little too long for comfort: Oranguru/Passimian, Mimikyu, female Salandit, Stufful (and by extension Bewear), Jangmo-o, Comfey, plus the awfully-hard-to-get Dhelmise and Mareanie. Bruxish isn't too easy to find either.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 6)