Hydreigon [QC 3/3] [GP 0/2]

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
Yeah flash cannon is ass outside of specs ors something. Scarf set should look like this, imo

name: Choice Scarf
move 1: Dark Pulse
move 2: Draco Meteor
move 3: Fire Blast
move 4: U-turn
ability: Levitate
item: Choice Scarf
nature: Modest
evs: 32 HP / 252 SAtk / 224 Spe

I used this set for a long time and coverage options may seem appealing, but in reality you're either nuking something on the revenge with DM, or pivoting out with U-turn. Trying to nab a heatran with earth power on the switch is a high risk play considering the damage it does to anything else. T-tar is a crap switch in to a u-turn spammer, and superpower does nothing to chansey so it's kinda crap. Fire Blast has the best super effective coverage I think, so i'd slash it first, you're a revenge killer, and after its revealed it tends to force the most switches for u-turn to do its job. Pivoting out of tran, tyranitar, fairies is not a problem for this dark dragon. Dark pulse is there because its nice to not have to drop your offenses is nice and is the best move against aegislash who you're decent at fighting with this set.

Should be stressed that niche over scarf latios is

- resist Sucker punch, knock off, pursuit and shadow sneak unlike lati who is weak to those
- better movepool (why doesnt hydrei get t-bolt though ;_;)
- modest scarf lati is pretty dumb and modest hydreigon hits harder than timid latios
- Better physical bulk by quite a bit (banded talonflame ohkos latios, and LO mamo kos lati with ice shard after rocks I think)
- u-turn!

Last edited:
Sorry for the late replay.

Punchshroom Well Head Smash hit's like everything that don't resists it hard but the recoil can be really nasty sometimes. But since it's someone else besides me that think it's worth mentioning then I'll add it under Other Options.

alexwolf Well as personal preferece I would rather slash Earth Power before Fire Blast but I'll change that in all of the sets as most of the persons thinks otherwise. But I do still think that Earth Power deserves to be slashed if you want to hit Heatran or should that go under other options?

Ash Borer I assume that you're speed creeping +1 Jolly Gyarados. I'll add your points to the scarf set. Thanks for pointing those out.

I think it should be AC, since its meant only for Heatran and Fire Blast in general will destroy Steel types. for Scarf, especially with the fact its just revenging or clean up duty.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I don't like Scarf Hydreigon at all. Hydreigon is already struggling to maintain its viability in OU, and using it in a role in which it is outclassed by a ton of existing Pokemon (the most common being CB Talonflame and Choice Scarf Genesect) is not doing it right. Not to mention that Scarf Hydreigon is a bad Scarfer in this meta, even without accounting for the fact that it's outclassed, as it fails to outspeed +1 Mega Char X (one of the main reasons you would need a Scarfer for) and it's easy as fuck to wall. At least Lati@s have Healing Wish / Memento / Trick and are able to outspeed +1 Mega Char X. Remove the Scarf set.

I don't like Scarf Hydreigon at all. Hydreigon is already struggling to maintain its viability in OU, and using it in a role in which it is outclassed by a ton of existing Pokemon (the most common being CB Talonflame and Choice Scarf Genesect) is not doing it right. Not to mention that Scarf Hydreigon is a bad Scarfer in this meta, even without accounting for the fact that it's outclassed, as it fails to outspeed +1 Mega Char X (one of the main reasons you would need a Scarfer for) and it's easy as fuck to wall. At least Lati@s have Healing Wish / Memento / Trick and are able to outspeed +1 Mega Char X. Remove the Scarf set.
Done with removing the scarf set, but added it under Other Options, stating that it's outclassed by other faster threats

It is claimed on this site that Genesect is hands down the best Choice Scarf user but Genesect does have his similarities with the Dark Dragon. Their base stat distribution is very similar and neither has any real issues with entry hazards, though Sticky Web can ruin Genesect's day I suppose. Hydreigon has superior bulk, a higher special attack stat and only has one speed point less than Genesect. The Dark Dragon also generally utilizes more powerful attacking moves though Hydreigon's generally superior power output can be surpassed via Download. And yes, Hydreigon's U-Turn is a far cry from Genesect's and the Dark Dragon has a lot more weaknesses than the bug, though one could argue that a 4x fire weakness is more easily exploitable than a 4x fairy one. My main point is that I don't see why I read so many comments saying that Hydreigon is slow and I never really see Genesect getting bashed for its base 99 speed. It's 1 point for crying out loud, is it really so significant?

It is claimed on this site that Genesect is hands down the best Choice Scarf user but Genesect does have his similarities with the Dark Dragon. Their base stat distribution is very similar and neither has any real issues with entry hazards, though Sticky Web can ruin Genesect's day I suppose. Hydreigon has superior bulk, a higher special attack stat and only has one speed point less than Genesect. The Dark Dragon also generally utilizes more powerful attacking moves though Hydreigon's generally superior power output can be surpassed via Download. And yes, Hydreigon's U-Turn is a far cry from Genesect's and the Dark Dragon has a lot more weaknesses than the bug, though one could argue that a 4x fire weakness is more easily exploitable than a 4x fairy one. My main point is that I don't see why I read so many comments saying that Hydreigon is slow and I never really see Genesect getting bashed for its base 99 speed. It's 1 point for crying out loud, is it really so significant?
Well yes that's a really huge difference between them sadly. Gensects speed isn't that great as it's just 1 point to short of base 100. But what's a really big difference is that Genesect have so many more sets that it can run, (like 8 sets that are viable). But it also have 4 great ways of fixing its speed problems 4 (Scarf, Shift Gear, Rock Polish, and Extremespeed). Making it really hard to predict if it's going to set up or just U-turn, and Gensect's U-turn gives away free momentum much easier then other scarfers with U-turn. Hydreigon have 1.5 half viable ways of boosting its speed (Scarf and Tailwind) and it only have 2 viable sets. But you know it's going to hit hard when it comes in. But the x4 Fire weakness is easier to exploit then the x4 Fairy weakness, but Hydreigon have more weaknesses then just Fairy types like Fighting, Bug (Genesect), Ice (not so common but still), and Dragon.
TL:DR it's not about the speed but rather everything about them that set's them apart, typing, movepool, set, etc

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
Genesect's advantage of STAB u-turn and Download are too great sadly. I honestly think scarf lati's are ass because gene, scizor, tyranitar, etc etc are common and take advantage of it too easy but the point about Zard-X is fair (scarf chomp is pretty viable thanks to it).

I still like scarf hydreigon, but if no one else does than w/e

Hydreigon has access to Thunder Wave as a psuedo method to patch up his speed too but may not be so viable. On a side note, how about Weakness Policy on Hydreigon? Takes his mixed wallbreaking capabilities to a whole new level it activates, and the Dark Dragon can be designed to take a moderately powerful super effective attack.

Hydreigon has access to Thunder Wave as a psuedo method to patch up his speed too but may not be so viable. On a side note, how about Weakness Policy on Hydreigon? Takes his mixed wallbreaking capabilities to a whole new level it activates, and the Dark Dragon can be designed to take a moderately powerful super effective attack.
Well I decided to test Weakness Policy on Hydreigon before saying something, and it worked like I thought. It's really outclassed by life orb as I never managed to activate WP without the risk of getting KOed. Hydreigon might have great bulk but his weaknesses don't really allow him to take the hit and retaliate. Focus Blast might be common but it's not easy surviving one after SR. So sadly no it's not viable unless something like starmies or mega blastoise decides to stay in and use Ice beam on you from like 85% health.

There should be a Sub 3 Attacks set. From behind a Sub, Hydreigon can hit faster foes who would normally KO him like Genesect, Scarf Garchomp, etc.

Item: Leftovers
252 SpAtk 248 HP 8 Spd (not entirely certain about the Evs)

Substitute
Dragon Pulse/ Roost
Dark Pulse
Fire Blast/ Earth Power

Here's a fantastic set that should be put into consideration I tested. Found it on the Hydreigon OU boards. Credits go to the user Jasper who first posted it.

I posted this in the creative/underrated sets thread a while back. It's my favorite set for Hydreigon this gen, as it catches a lot of players off guard:

Hydreigon @ Leftovers
Calm, 252 HP 4 SpA 252 SpD
Dark Pulse
Substitute
Toxic
Roost

Hydreigon possesses the typing and bulk to run an effective specially defensive set. Dark/Dragon grants him a bevy of resistances (Fire, Water, Grass, Electric, Dark, and the ubiquitous Ghost), and an immunity to Psychic moves. Ground type attacks will also be ineffectual against Hydreigon thanks to Levitate. 92/90/90 defenses are nothing to sneeze at, especially with full investment. For comparison, Zapdos's slightly inferior 90/90/90 defenses have allowed it to function as a formidable special wall since the Diamond and Pearl era.

Hydreigon's reputation as a threatening offensive presence tends to force numerous switches, which result in free substitutes. From there, Hydreigon can Toxic the opponent's switch-in and proceed to switch out, or stall with Roost and Substitute. With just two type resistences, Dark Pulse can often be spammed ad nauseum against slower foes, resulting in flinches and therefore wasted turns by an opponent. Although uninvested in this moveset, Hydreigon's exceptional 125 base Special attack stat will result in Dark Pulse inflicting considerable damage under most circumstances.

Steel types with high physical defenses pair well with this Hydreigon variant. They can threaten fairies, the bane of Hydreigon's existence, and absorb the Fire, Bug, Dragon, and Ice type attacks intended for him. In return, Hydreigon can switch in on Fire and Ground attacks aimed at his Steel type allies. A Ghost Pokemon can serve as a fitting 3rd member to this potential core, thanks to its immunity to the Fighting moves often thrown in Hydreigon's direction.
This set is a great switch in to Gengar, Aegislash, Jolteon, Zapdos, Espeon, Heatran, Rotom and even more special attackers I may be forgetting. Pokemon with HP Ice do negligable damage to it (LO Jolteon does a paltry 30% IIRC), and Focus Blasters like Gengar and Alakazam fail to OHKO and get OHKO'd in return by Dark Pulse. It's reasonably fast and strong even without investment, has 6 resistances + 2 immunities, a reliable recovery move, and the pair between him and Aegislash can resist or negate every type in the game (with moldbreaker ground type moves being the exception). This set deserves attention IMO.

Here's a fantastic set that should be put into consideration I tested. Found it on the Hydreigon OU boards. Credits go to the user Jasper who first posted it.

This set is a great switch in to Gengar, Aegislash, Jolteon, Zapdos, Espeon, Heatran, Rotom and even more special attackers I may be forgetting. Pokemon with HP Ice do negligable damage to it (LO Jolteon does a paltry 30% IIRC), and Focus Blasters like Gengar and Alakazam fail to OHKO and get OHKO'd in return by Dark Pulse. It's reasonably fast and strong even without investment, has 6 resistances + 2 immunities, a reliable recovery move, and the pair between him and Aegislash can resist or negate every type in the game (with moldbreaker ground type moves being the exception). This set deserves attention IMO.
Thanks for posting this! I'm glad the set is working for you. I thought of mentioning it in this thread, but never got around to it. If anyone else would like to give the set a go, please feel free. I would love to hear more feedback regarding its viability.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
superpower doesnt even beat chansey, remove it

also remove the roost slash, fire blast is too good. all moves currently slashed first are compulsory. it isn't a good wallbreaker if it forgoes any, because it misses out on killing walls. and a non-wallbreaking hydreigon is just a shitty slow latios.

remove specs. a large part of what makes hydreigon so difficult to fight defensively is its ability to adapt and switch moves to appropriately deal with the opposing pokemon. specs is too restricted and way easier to play around.

scarf i approve of. with gene gone, it doesn't have to worry about that, and it has all the traits of a good scarfer: nice speed tier, high offensive stat, powerful stab (draco), spammable stab with few resistances (dark pulse), and u-turn. it can rk a number of top meta threats, pivot/gain momentum with u-turn, and overall prove a solid rk'ing choice. it is worth a better look with the removal of gene. draco/dpulse/fire blast/u-turn, no compromises.

Assault Vest needs to get a mention in the C&C section. Unless something hits for supereffective damage, Hydreigon's moves just don't hit all that hard. Especially Conkeldurr can take on Hydreigon quite comfortably with the use of Drain Punch + Mach Punch, whereas Hydreigon's Draco Meteor won't 2HKO, even if Conkeldurr goes for a second Drain Punch.

With many useful resistances and decent bulk with some EV investment, Hydreigon can run an offensive taunt set fairly effectively.

Special Offensive Stallbreaker
###########
move 1: Taunt
move 2: Roost
move 3: Dragon Pulse
move 4: Focus Blast
item: Leftovers
evs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk

Here's the jist of this set, switch Hydreigon into a wall, and destroy anything that comes in.

I don't think you realize how much more damage Superpower does compared to Iron Tail against several Pokemon, and how little Iron Tail does against its targets compared to what it needs to do. Also factoring that Iron Tail has really bad accuracy, Superpower at least deserves to keep a slash. In fact, I generally think its the better attack.

40 Atk Life Orb Hydreigon Superpower vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Tyranitar: 343-406 (100.2 - 118.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
40 Atk Life Orb Hydreigon Iron Tail vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Tyranitar: 146-172 (42.6 - 50.2%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO

Getting set up on against Mega Tyranitar is a recipe for bad things to happen for your team.

40 Atk Life Orb Hydreigon Superpower vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 447-530 (110.6 - 131.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
40 Atk Life Orb Hydreigon Iron Tail vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 190-224 (47 - 55.4%) -- 66.4% chance to 2HKO

A lot of Tyranitars have the capability of OHKOing you if they have Superpower and wall you otherwise. Either way, it will do something to you... that and a 25% chance of doing nothing also makes things bad for Iron Tail's usage.

40 Atk Life Orb Hydreigon Superpower vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 322-380 (50.1 - 59.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
40 Atk Life Orb Hydreigon Iron Tail vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 134-159 (20.8 - 24.7%) -- guaranteed 5HKO

Hell of a lot better than nothing. A Chansey at half health isn't exactly uncommon since it can still wall Pokemon at half health.

The fairies you are trying to hit with Iron Tail are never OHKOed by Iron Tail.

40 Atk Life Orb Hydreigon Iron Tail vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Sylveon: 190-226 (48.2 - 57.3%) -- 46.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
40 Atk Life Orb Hydreigon Iron Tail vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Togekiss: 213-252 (56.9 - 67.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
40 Atk Life Orb Hydreigon Iron Tail vs. 252 HP / 244+ Def Clefable: 179-213 (45.4 - 54%) -- 3.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Considering you 2HKO at best all of these Pokemon (unless you have a Specially Defensive Togekiss after Stealth Rock?) and they all OHKO you back, while they can also switch in for very little damage due to their immunities, I feel like Iron Tail is inferior to Superpower. Even if it doesn't though, it at least deserves a slash because OHKOing both Tyranitars, who set up various crap all over you, is probably around as important as 2HKOing Togekiss, Sylveon, and Clefable, who will more than likely just outright kill you with their STAB and then recover off said health.

Jasper, well I tried this set before saying anything, but I honestly don't belive it's worthy to write it up in the analyse for the following reasons.
The lack of damage compared to the wallbreaker set.
You're already attracting Fairy-types and you cannot wall them with that x4 weekness.
Dragonite can do this set better thanks to Multiscale.

Appart from that it felt like a solid set, might not fit every team, but it can work on certain teams.

It can't learn Hone Claws. It can, however learn Charge Beam, another boosting move.
welp my bad thought it learned Hone Claws but I must have mixed it up. Thanks for pointing that out.

also remove the roost slash, fire blast is too good. all moves currently slashed first are compulsory. it isn't a good wallbreaker if it forgoes any, because it misses out on killing walls. and a non-wallbreaking hydreigon is just a shitty slow latios.

remove specs. a large part of what makes hydreigon so difficult to fight defensively is its ability to adapt and switch moves to appropriately deal with the opposing pokemon. specs is too restricted and way easier to play around.

scarf i approve of. with gene gone, it doesn't have to worry about that, and it has all the traits of a good scarfer: nice speed tier, high offensive stat, powerful stab (draco), spammable stab with few resistances (dark pulse), and u-turn. it can rk a number of top meta threats, pivot/gain momentum with u-turn, and overall prove a solid rk'ing choice. it is worth a better look with the removal of gene. draco/dpulse/fire blast/u-turn, no compromises.
Well I do honestly fell that Superpower have much more use then Iron Tail, even if you can 2HKO Fairy-types you MUST land those two hits otherwise you're dead. I haven't used Iron Tail for some time.

Unless someone think something else I'll remove the Specs set and add the scarf set (I'm glad I saved it ^^)

With many useful resistances and decent bulk with some EV investment, Hydreigon can run an offensive taunt set fairly effectively.

Special Offensive Stallbreaker
###########
move 1: Taunt
move 2: Roost
move 3: Dragon Pulse
move 4: Focus Blast
item: Leftovers
evs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk

Here's the jist of this set, switch Hydreigon into a wall, and destroy anything that comes in.
Well this set have already been proposed and added under the other opptions, personally I used U-turn and Dark Pulse rather then Dragon Pulse and Focus Blast

Assault Vest needs to get a mention in the C&C section. Unless something hits for supereffective damage, Hydreigon's moves just don't hit all that hard. Especially Conkeldurr can take on Hydreigon quite comfortably with the use of Drain Punch + Mach Punch, whereas Hydreigon's Draco Meteor won't 2HKO, even if Conkeldurr goes for a second Drain Punch.
Well the only Assault Vest user that needs to be mentioned is Conkeldurr, I haven't seen any other user beside him and Goodra.

I don't think you realize how much more damage Superpower does compared to Iron Tail against several Pokemon, and how little Iron Tail does against its targets compared to what it needs to do. Also factoring that Iron Tail has really bad accuracy, Superpower at least deserves to keep a slash. In fact, I generally think its the better attack.

40 Atk Life Orb Hydreigon Superpower vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Tyranitar: 343-406 (100.2 - 118.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
40 Atk Life Orb Hydreigon Iron Tail vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Tyranitar: 146-172 (42.6 - 50.2%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO

Getting set up on against Mega Tyranitar is a recipe for bad things to happen for your team.

40 Atk Life Orb Hydreigon Superpower vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 447-530 (110.6 - 131.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
40 Atk Life Orb Hydreigon Iron Tail vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 190-224 (47 - 55.4%) -- 66.4% chance to 2HKO

A lot of Tyranitars have the capability of OHKOing you if they have Superpower and wall you otherwise. Either way, it will do something to you... that and a 25% chance of doing nothing also makes things bad for Iron Tail's usage.

40 Atk Life Orb Hydreigon Superpower vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 322-380 (50.1 - 59.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
40 Atk Life Orb Hydreigon Iron Tail vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 134-159 (20.8 - 24.7%) -- guaranteed 5HKO

Hell of a lot better than nothing. A Chansey at half health isn't exactly uncommon since it can still wall Pokemon at half health.

The fairies you are trying to hit with Iron Tail are never OHKOed by Iron Tail.

40 Atk Life Orb Hydreigon Iron Tail vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Sylveon: 190-226 (48.2 - 57.3%) -- 46.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
40 Atk Life Orb Hydreigon Iron Tail vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Togekiss: 213-252 (56.9 - 67.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
40 Atk Life Orb Hydreigon Iron Tail vs. 252 HP / 244+ Def Clefable: 179-213 (45.4 - 54%) -- 3.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Considering you 2HKO at best all of these Pokemon (unless you have a Specially Defensive Togekiss after Stealth Rock?) and they all OHKO you back, while they can also switch in for very little damage due to their immunities, I feel like Iron Tail is inferior to Superpower. Even if it doesn't though, it at least deserves a slash because OHKOing both Tyranitars, who set up various crap all over you, is probably around as important as 2HKOing Togekiss, Sylveon, and Clefable, who will more than likely just outright kill you with their STAB and then recover off said health.
Well you pritty much summoned up why I use Superpower over Iron Tail. at least I have someone on my side.

Also I'll start editing the OP now.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Mainly posting here because Hydreigon was one of the Pokemon that needed a skeleton for the dex and I did it. The OP or whoever takes this analysis can use it to their wishes.

This does not include Scarf. I have 0 experience with Scarf and the dex only needed one set. Since Mixed is the best I chose that one.

Overview
########

- Unique typing allows it to resist the plethora of Dark- and Ghost-type attacks such as Sucker Punch, Pursuit, and Shadow Sneak.
- Received an intriguing buff with Steel losing its Dark-type resistance
- Sports an impressive base 125 Special Attack, 105 Attack, and trolly 97 Speed.
- Has a rather big movepool to accommodate its stats and typing.
- Quadruple weakness to Fairy and relies on Iron Tail / Flash Cannon to bail out of its Fairy-type problems.
- 97 Speed is mediocre as far as sweeping goes.
- Charge Beam and Work Up are its only stat-boosting attacks.
- Faces stiff competition from other Dragon-types such as Mega Charizard X and other Dark-types such as Bisharp.

Mixed Attacker
########
set name: Mixed Attacker
move 1: Dark Pulse
move 2: Draco Meteor
move 3: Iron Tail / Superpower
move 4: Fire Blast
item: Life Orb
nature: Rash / Mild
evs: 40 Atk / 236 SAtk / 232 Spe

Moves
========

- Dark Pulse is Hydreigon’s best STAB thanks to Steel-type losing its resistance.
- Draco Meteor gives Hydreigon another powerful STAB to utilize against bulkier threats such as Hippowdon and Mega Venusaur/
- Iron Tail is necessary to 2HKO Clefable and Sylveon while still doing respectable damage to Tyranitar.
- Superpower is Hydreigon’s best attack to attempt to bypass Chansey, Blissey, and Impish Tyranitar. It also hits Heatran.
- Fire Blast hits Bisharp, Mega Mawile, and other Steel-types.
- Roost can be used to keep Hydreigon healthy
- Charge Beam 2HKOes Azumarill on the switch assuming Charge Beam gives Hydreigon a Special Attack boost.

Set Details
========

- 232 Speed EVs outspeed neutral nature Kyurem-B
- 40 Attack is necessary to 2HKO Clefable and Sylveon as well as 2HKO Blissey and Chansey with Superpower - the latter needing Stealth Rock to 2HKO reliably.
- Rest of the EVs are put into Special Attack to maximize Dark Pulse, Draco Meteor, and Fire Blast’s power.
- Rash makes Hydreigon less prone to priority attacks such as Mach Punch and Bullet Punch while Mild allows Hydreigon to take weaker Special Attacks easier.

Usage Tips
========

- Hydreigon is mostly used as a Pokemon that punches holes through bulkier teams instead of attempting to sweep.
- Iron Tail should be utilized if Fairy-types are a huge concern. Alternatively, Superpower should be used if Chansey and Blissey are more problematic.
- Be careful about overusing Draco Meteor as the Special Attack drop can leave Hydreigon vulnerable to being set up on.
- Superpower can also leave Hydreigon more vulnerable to Pursuit as the Defense drop and potential Mild nature makes even resisted Pursuit hurt.

Team Options
========

- Stealth Rock support is great for securing 2HKOes on many Pokemon. Heatran does well at checking the majority of Fairy-types while Pokemon such as Skarmory handle Fighting-types a little easier.
- Pivots such as Rotom-W, Mega Scizor, and Landorus-T also work well with helping Hydreigon have an easier time switching in.
- Without Superpower you’ll need some raw power from Pokemon such as Terrakion or Conkeldurr to bust through Chansey and Blissey. Aegislash can also do wonders to forcing Chansey out as Blissey can sometimes carry Flamethrower.
- Mega Venusaur also helps check the majority of Fairy-types such as Azumarill and Sylveon thanks to its Poison-typing and access to STAB Sludge Bomb.
- Sweepers such as Mega Mawile or Keldeo appreciate the Pokemon that Hydreigon can help eliminate or soften up.

Other Options
########

- Choice Scarf allows Hydreigon to outspeed some common threats and gain surprise on some of them; however, it is not really that fast after a Choice Scarf and the power drop is noticeable.
- Choice Specs hits harder than Life Orb, but it is also more predictable and easier to take advantage of sometimes.
- U-turn is great for scouting and keeps Hydreigon unique.
- Tailwind can boost Hydreigon and its teammates Speed for four turns.
- Work Up boosts Hydreigon’s Attack and Special Attack.
- Flash Cannon works for Specs.
- Substitute can be used as Hydreigon can force switches and sometimes attacking head-on isn’t always the best option.
- Expert Belt over Life Orb but the power drop is severe; especially with Draco Meteor only hitting Dragon-types for super effective damage.

Checks & Counters
########

**Fairy-types**: Without Iron Tail Hydreigon is very prone to Fairy-types such as Clefable, Sylveon, and Azumarill. With Hydreigon having a quadruple weakness to Fairy, KOing it is nothing difficult for Fairy-type Pokemon.

**Special Walls**: Without Superpower Umbreon, Chansey, and Blissey become major headaches for Hydreigon to bypass. Umbreon can wear out Hydreigon with STAB Foul Play while using Wish and Protect to heal itself. Chansey and Blissey take little damage from any attack Hydreigon throws, barring Superpower, and can force Hydreigon out with Seismic Toss.

**Assault Vest Users**: Some Pokemon such as Conkeldurr and Machamp can stomach any attack, barring repeated Draco Meteors, and scare off Hydreigon with STAB Drain Punch and STAB DynamicPunch, respectively. Conkeldurr can also revenge kill weakened Hydreigon with STAB Mach Punch.

**Revenge Killers**: Priority attackers such as Conkeldurr, Breloom, and Mega Scizor can finish off a weakened Hydreigon. Hydreigon’s mediocre Speed leaves it very vulnerable to revenge killers such as Garchomp, Lati@s, and Greninja.

it has 98 speed. wouldnt be important but it means its faster than haxorus, so you can change the EVs a bit

also i think superpower should have the primary slash? :s iron tail is just such a terrible, terrible move. i know why it's slashed, but if you miss just once hydreigon is instantly going to die from any fairy attack due to its quadruple weakness. superpower also hits stuff like heatran and tyranitar, and honestly imo hydreigon should just give up on trying to deal with fairies and lets another teammate do that for it. it also doesnt even hit one of the most threatening ones, azumarill. how common is impish tyranitar btw?

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Haxorus is pretty rare but I can add it in the Set Details. ImpishTar is also rare but it is in the analysis for Tyranitar at this time.

I kind of also agree with Superpower first. Iron Tail's accuracy is much like gambling Focus Blast. Ill let other qc members weigh on this one since, yeah, Iron Tail is ehhhh.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)