CAP 8 CAP 8 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Final Submission

Main Design

Supporting Material

Backstory
This dragon generates bioelectricity and conducts it through its skeleton, which is made of copper. Since its skeleton acts as an organic electric coil, it allows the dragon to create all sorts of electromagnetic effects. Not the least of which, it allows the dragon to electrolevitate (ie. Magnet Rise), which is its preferred means of movement. By undulating its body while generating a magnetic levitation field, this dragon is able to "slither" through the air with great speed and agility. The dragon's personal magnetic field also ionizes the air around its body, creating a protective shield of ionized particles which disrupts the effects of certain attacks used against the dragon (ie. ionized particle shield = Shield Dust).

The spikes on its back and claws are also made of copper, and can be used to conduct electricity as well, most often when launching electrical attacks at enemies from a distance. The spikes and claws are very sharp and can be used for cutting and slashing attacks. The dragon's tail has a constant electrical arc leaping between two copper electrodes at the tip. It's long prehensile tail can be used as a taser, to deliver powerful shocks to enemies upon contact.

This dragon is rarely seen, as it prefers to frolic high in the clouds of active electrical thunderstorms. Since Kingdra are also known to come out in storms over water, this dragon is well-known for engaging in epic battles with Kingdra. It is said that such battles can turn small maritime rainstorms into devastating thunderous monsoons.

Artistic Inspiration
My main stylistic theme was to make a dragon with heavy serpentine influences. I didn't want to make it an outright "snake", but I wanted it to be long and lithe, with sleek curves. Serpent dragons are quite common in mythology, but not as prevalent in Pokemon. Rayquaza is the best example of a serpent dragon in Pokemon. Of course, Dratini and Dragonair are classic serpents, but they are preevolutions. Gyarados, Milotic, and Steelix are all serpents with Dragon moves or in the Dragon breeding group, but do not have overt Dragon typing. Many other artists were doing "bulky bipedal dinosaurs" in the Tyranitar/Aggron mold -- so I thought a serpentine dragon would be a nice alternative to that.

I wanted this dragon to fit with the general aesthetic of some of the most popular dragons in OU -- Salamence, Flygon, and Lati@s. In my opinion, all those dragons look "cool" -- particularly Flygon (who is one of my favorite pokemon BTW). So, I wanted this dragon to look "cool", as opposed to "ferocious" or "cute". I kept the design complexities to a minimum, which I think follows the theme of the dragons mentioned above. The body patterns are simple elliptical shapes, which go nicely with the serpentine body curves, and they offset the sharp angles of the spikes (which are zig-zagged like lightning bolts) and claws.

The color scheme is meant to support the Electric typing, without resorting to a cliche yellow -- which is already WAY overdone amongst electric types. Orange hasn't been used much amongst electrics, with only Raichu and Rotom as existing examples. Orange also compliments the whole "copper" backstory and metal elements, but I experimented with reds as well. Ultimately, this picture of an Amazon tree boa convinced me that orange could work perfectly with a serpentine dragon too.

Design Progress
Early Sketch
Final Sketch
Alternate Coloring

Thanks to everyone who has given me feedback, suggestions, and support. I've had lots of fun working on this design. The art field for this CAP is the strongest I've ever seen, and I'm sure the winning design will be fantastic. Congratulations and good luck to all the CAP artists who have contributed to CAP 8!

Gyarados, Milotic, and Steelix are all serpents in the Dragon breeding group
Small nitpick - Steelix isn't in the Dragon breeding group. Arbok and Seviper are, though - maybe that's what you meant?

But your design looks great, and I totally agree about the overuse of yellow in Electric-types.

There are loads of great entries here - I like the ones drawn by DougJustDoug, Cartoons!, Yilx (although I think it lost something when the electric glow was removed - maybe find some other way of showing electricity?) and Zantimonius (which I love the concept of, although I think there are a few too many colours going on there). Great work, everyone!

No offense to Zantimonious, who is clearly a skilled artist, but this Pokemon (IMHO) doesn't work. So far I'm the only one that thinks that this complete transformation of a Pokemon into a robotic character doesn't fit well at all. The only reason Pokemon like Magnamite work is because they're also part Steel, giving them that robotic feel in the first place. =/

Maybe it is a voltorb analogue???

Eh, it's all flavor anyways.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Small nitpick - Steelix isn't in the Dragon breeding group. Arbok and Seviper are, though - maybe that's what you meant.
Good point. Steelix is the only non-Dragon that learns Dragonbreath on level-up, so I assumed it was in the Dragon breeding group. Regardless, the existence of Dragonbreath in its level-up movepool, combined with it's serpentine appearance -- makes me suspect that Dragon is a "hidden typing" of Steelix. I could be wrong, since I can't read the minds of the game-makers.

I totally forgot about Arbok too! I guess since Arbok learns no Dragon moves, I never noticed it was in the Dragon egg group.

I appreciate you pointing out my mistake. I'll edit my submission text.

The one on top was done by MaximaOnFire, while the one below was designed by me. We each did the individual pencils, while Maxima did the inking.

We would both have liked to take the designs further, but seeing as how I'm leaving for a camp tomorrow and MaximaOnFire doesn't have a Wacom or any other means to colour them (not to mention the rapidly approaching deadline), neither of us is probably gonna make a Final Submission. I just thought I'd post them here as a small contribution to the CAP process, and we'll see how things work out in CAP 9.

The one on top was done by MaximaOnFire, while the one below was designed by me. We each did the individual pencils, while Maxima did the inking.

We would both have liked to take the designs further, but seeing as how I'm leaving for a camp tomorrow and MaximaOnFire doesn't have a Wacom or any other means to colour them (not to mention the rapidly approaching deadline), neither of us is probably gonna make a Final Submission. I just thought I'd post them here as a small contribution to the CAP process, and we'll see how things work out in CAP 9.
Wow, that's really disappointing chomzloh. Your design was one of my absolute favorites, you don't think you could even scrape up a quick colouring to submit before you leave for camp? I guess I'm just hoping too much, but have fun at camp and know that your art will be missed in the upcoming poll. :(

@ DougJustDoug: Great submission!(as I bet you already realize) tThe backstory and artistic inspiration really won me over, as it's interesting to read why you decided on the serpentine body and I honestly didn't really like the orange colour at first, but with the Amazon Tree boa reasoning, it really makes me appreciate it a lot more. Maybe it's just me but I love reading into those things about an artists design.

Wow it's really starting to get down to the wire. I really like Gooey's submission (thanks for letting me help out!), DougJustDoug's, and RegiDS. Props to everyone though. It was an interesting run! Whoever wins is going to be great thats for sure.

Well it's getting close to time for me to buckle down and decide a final submission, this one is close to final submission status too... Needs minor shading/highlighting work.

Hope you guys like it.

This most recent version of the snaky dragon of yours ixfalia really has me hooked(I'll admit the sketch didn't hook me, but it works in color!).

VKCA

(Virtual Circus Kareoky Act)
Main Design

I wish cap8 was an offensive cap because this is just amazing. Doesn't really mater though as I wont let the defensive bias affect my vote at all(I'm not supposed to right)?. I just think it would be cooler on an offensive poke.

Magmortified

<b>CAP 8 Playtesting Expert</b>
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I'm really divided over who I'm going to back for the art poll. There's a lot of interesting concepts going around here. Cartoons! kind of has my eye though.

Doug's is good too, but for some reason, his really reminds me of Raichu. The orange skin, white belly color scheme. The kind of hunched back legs. For a second there, the end of the tail reminded me a little of the shape of Raichu's ears. There's nothing wrong with it... it's just kind of off putting for me. :S

I've looked at some artworks, but DJD product really standed out to my eyes. I will support it at the poll. And good job everyone. You all have been fantastic!

Final Submission

Hey guys I finally decided on which one to choose (it was still tough, but no turning back now), so here's my Final Submission.
Main Design

Supporting Material

Lore
Though a ground faring dragon, this Pokémon is commonly associated with the weather. It is able to predict a storm before the clouds even form, and follows the paths of developing storms, sounding its drums. It uses its drum beats to give others warning to the impending danger of a fierce storm, the drums themselves resounding with as much power as real thunder.

It emits an Electro-Magnetic Repulsion (Shield Dust) field generated from the electricity that can form in its drums, this field can sometimes be strong enough to repel water droplets in the rain or even allow the Pokémon to levitate for a brief time.

Despite it's fierce looking nature, if it finds lost Pokémon in a storm, it will use it's hood as shelter for them, bearing the elements to keep them safe.

A quirky fact about this Pokémon is that it slithers vertically going up and down as opposed to horizontal side-winding.

Inspiration
I wanted to do something a bit more epic this time, and some of the most epic of mythology center around Thunder and Lightning. Dragons have a fantasy quality associated with them in Pokémon, much more so than the other types, and as such they tend to lean a bit more towards "mythology" than the others. But looking to myths for inspiration I found that many representations of electrical phenomena in mythology had "weapons" (Zeus, Odin, Chaac and the like). So I opted for something that was more of a prop, and went for Raijin (with a little bit of Chaac thrown in).

Raijin is the Japanese god of thunder, he characterized by being a demon with a circle of drums that created thunder (Chaac is a reptilian/snakelike thunder/rain god of the Mayans). In doing so I chose a more snakelike body as opposed to the quadrupedal one I had before. The cobra hood made it distinct and is supposed to give a nod to the Naga king that used his hood to shelter Buddha from the rain and elements (Mucalinda).

I have always liked Dragonair, and I mean no offense when I say that I was disappointed when it turned into a pudgy Dragonite, the serpentine body was very cool to me, I wanted a cool serpentine dragon because currently there are none outside of Rayquaza.

Images
I'm planning on some but I might not get them in on time.

And, I'm just about done with my design... Just gotta finish the shading (on the tail, the legs, and the fins) and add the electricity on the coils on it's tail...

...And than smooth out the outline a bit (it's quite terrible). Especially on the coils...
They were done way to quick and messily. They look like bad MS-Paint drawings.

Here's the work in progress:

How's it going so far?

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Ixfalia's design is probably the best one here. When it comes time for the poll, he gets my vote as of now.

I 'd love to participate here, but it seems the end is near...
How much time is left for final submission??
As soon as the Stat Spread Poll and the Secondary Ability Poll are both closed, this Art thread will be closed as well. Look for at least one day minimum, possibly two.

CyzirVisheen

Am I poplar yet?
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Final Submission

Main Design:

Supporting Material:

Backstory:

End Comments:
*Note: I'm hacking away at the supporting info right now, just wanted to get this posted in case I'm unable to get any of this done before the deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)