CAP 6 CAP 6 - Part 15 - Sprite Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why does a male Gardevoir have long hair and a dress?
Why does a female Machamp have big muscular pectorals instead of breasts?

If you can come up with an answer to those questions, then you can answer the question about my supposed "bearded lady".
I respectfully disagree with this argument. Firstly, something like a male Gardevoir with pants or a female Machamp with breasts would be too drastic and not strong designs, while a female CAP6 without a beard would be a perfectly smart and appropriate design.

But the main reason I disagree is this is another instance in which someone provides a few choice examples in which the folks behind the Pokemon games displayed poor creative skills (similar to the "Wooper has Focus Punch" argument), in order to rationalize poor decision making in the CAP process. Yes, male Gardy has a dress, but that doesn't make it a smart idea to give female CAP6 a beard. Just my opinion.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

The Luchador palette was really just a joke submission, but if people want it, I could make it my official shiny entry, no problem.
Not only is this a really cool color scheme, but I think it's a clever wink to your luchasquid design. The "mask" in Abird's design lends itself to a luchador-ish look. I think you should use this for your shiny. I like it a lot!

I agree with DougJustDoug that your shiny colors are amazing Cartoons! But I like the light blue as main more as it is less harsh on the eyes. As for yours Doug, I think either can work, I prefer the seaweed though since it uses tan and suede :naughty:

I went for a slightly different 'hat' design than everyone else on the backsprite.

EDIT: Changed the pose of the front sprite.
My favorite sprite out of all the ones so far (KoA might change that, I love his pose so far) but this will definitely be something I will support.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Here's a new submission cutsheet with the shiny in tan, suede, seaweed green, and gold. It seems like people prefer it to the previous shiny. I think it looks more like a shiny version of the normal color scheme, so I'm going with it.

I liked the purple in dougs alot better, and I liked the neon orange alot better then the light blue. Over all thought Dougs and Cartoons sprites are easily my favorites followed closely by wichu's.

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
Um, I got the basic outline fine tuned and have added some colors to begin the real work. Doug, I borrowed your pallete for the usage of the dummy colors, please don't hate me man. I'll get my own pallete I promise! I'm using your colors as placeholders.

Um, I got the basic outline fine tuned and have added some colors to begin the real work. Doug, I borrowed your pallete for the usage of the dummy colors, please don't hate me man. I'll get my own pallete I promise! I'm using your colors as placeholders.

I love your pose, but neither his hook nor his sword seems like they're sharp or have the potential to be sharp with shading.

Even though I kind of feel outclassed by everyone else since they all have animations to go with their submissions, I still feel like I have a shot at this. So, here are my sprites! Please comment on them.

Front Sprites:

Male Female Shiny Male Shiny Female

Back Sprites:

Well guys, what do you think? Does it look bulky enough? Are the shiny colours good? It took me a long while to make these and I'm happy with the outcome. Again, I'd be very happy to hear your comments. :D

Th thing I can really comment on is that it may be helpful to darken the lines a bit. Right now it looks fuzzy.

It's pretty good other than that (from what I can tell)

Even though I kind of feel outclassed by everyone else since they all have animations to go with their submissions, I still feel like I have a shot at this. So, here are my sprites! Please comment on them.

Front Sprites:

Back Sprites:

Well guys, what do you think? Does it look bulky enough? Are the shiny colours good? It took me a long while to make these and I'm happy with the outcome. Again, I'd be very happy to hear your comments. :D
Just a minor criticism: the sword on the front sprite looks like it's about to break into two pieces.

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist

Just my progress for tonight before i hit the hay. Still using dougs colors as a base. ;0

Front Sprites:

Back Sprites:

I would really work on your outline. In some parts the Shading and Arms seem very shakey, even somewhat scribbly. I absolutely love the posing, and the colors themselves are excellent, but how you colored and how the outlines are drawn are the biggest turn off. Work on something things out and this could be an excellent sprite.

Just one example: On the Sword side of the Front Sprite, the Arms are drawn, to be quite frank, badly. Granted, it would only take a tiny bit to fix them. Both the shading and outline are off the most here.

Only a few touch-ups are needed to improve this sprite. It is still better than something I could do, so good job.

Oh, and KoA, loving it so far!

Doug and Cartoons!, both your newest shinies look amazing!
Yes! Seaweed green shiny is great DJD, goes really well with your gold blades :-) Thanks for switching as I know you like your purple water shinies.

Cartoons - I am one of those who prefers the vermillion body and light blue blades - yes it's not easy on the eyes but cephalopods are often orange or brown so I think it fits pretty well. Especially since pirates are angry and aggressive types.

Coming along well KoA!

Now that my internet is back up and running, I was finally able to upload all of my final edits and make the sprites transparent. Although, I can't figure out how to make a transparent animation. Could someone please help me? Also, thanks darkie for the extra time I needed. I really appreciate it.

I will not include the animations in the poll's OP, so if you are planning to do that, don't bother. (feel free to do it for fun though!)

That said, I really like your sprites, chaoscrippler!

Kay, well I put black lines since nobody liked my colour lines...

So, anything else I should change?

@ darkie: If time runs out then this is my submission.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion

Kay, well I put black lines since nobody liked my colour lines...

So, anything else I should change?

@ darkie: If time runs out then this is my submission.
This is cool, but as already said, the swords on the male sprites look like they'll snap in half. Maybe giving male sprites a small dent and females none at all?

all black outlines=no no but some coulor ones where the light hits the outline.
There are lots of real pokemon sprites with all black outlines. Believe me, I know.

Arkeis

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
The only Pokemon sprites that have completely black outlines are the ones that are already black themselves (ex: Umbreon).

but that doesn't make it a smart idea to give female CAP6 a beard. Just my opinion.
Giving female Arghonaut a beard isn't a matter of intelligence, it's a matter of giving a shit or not... besides, this beard isn't actual hair or anything, it's just a pattern... (I mean hey, why don't we just remove the mustache while we're at it?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)