CAP 6 CAP 6 - Part 15 - Sprite Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel chaos' is the best for looking like it could be put in-game as we speak but god is your back sprite amazing Doug.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Why does the female have a beard? =/
Why does a male Gardevoir have long hair and a dress?
Why does a female Machamp have big muscular pectorals instead of breasts?

If you can come up with an answer to those questions, then you can answer the question about my supposed "bearded lady".

(Additional answer below...)
whats the difference between male/female? i can't really tell.
The female's 'nose' is differently shaped and has a highlight, and the sword is a bit thinner at the base. The point on the female's sword is also less pronounced.
damn. did he post these somewhere?
Wichu correctly noted the two small changes between my male and female sprites. Good eye, Wichu.

Emphasis on "small changes". CAP spriters have different tastes when it comes to differences between male and sprites. I personally think that male/female sprite differences should be very subtle -- almost totally unnoticeable unless you are looking very closely. In my opinion, this is how most ingame sprites are done. Yes, there are a few exceptions, but the vast majority of male/female sprites are nearly identical. I intentionally made very small changes in my sprites, following what I believe to be an ingame trend.

But, this is by no means a rule for other spriters to follow. For example, KOA's Revenankh sprites have very noticeable differences between male and female -- and they look incredible. Every spriter has their own tastes.

While some people may think it's odd to have a beard on the female sprite -- I think removing the beard is just too much of a change. And it's a big part of Aragornbird's fundamental design. So, I think it should stay -- even on the female.

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I agree with Doug that the male to female sprite difference is almost always barely noticeable. However, I'd like this Pokemon to have a bigger probability of being male than female... like Machamp itself! (And Gardy has a bigger probability of being female considering all Gardevoir from DPPt are.)

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
Eh, I finally go tthe outline done at least. I can fine tune it in paint now if i need to do reconstruction.

KoA~ His hook tentacle seems a little too wide where it connects with the body. That's the only thing I can comment on your otherwise amazing outline.

If you can come up with an answer to those questions, then you can answer the question about my supposed "bearded lady".

(Additional answer below...)

Wichu correctly noted the two small changes between my male and female sprites. Good eye, Wichu.

Emphasis on "small changes". CAP spriters have different tastes when it comes to differences between male and sprites. I personally think that male/female sprite differences should be very subtle -- almost totally unnoticeable unless you are looking very closely. In my opinion, this is how most ingame sprites are done. Yes, there are a few exceptions, but the vast majority of male/female sprites are nearly identical. I intentionally made very small changes in my sprites, following what I believe to be an ingame trend.

But, this is by no means a rule for other spriters to follow. For example, KOA's Revenankh sprites have very noticeable differences between male and female -- and they look incredible. Every spriter has their own tastes.

While some people may think it's odd to have a beard on the female sprite -- I think removing the beard is just too much of a change. And it's a big part of Aragornbird's fundamental design. So, I think it should stay -- even on the female.
Although I definitely see where you're coming from, I disagree. A beard is something typically male, even long hair, robes, and (noticeable) breasts are not as gender specific as a beard. And this is supposed to be a human-like face; the one of a pirate.

I know it's been done before (making a Pokémon look like a specific gender but making it mixed anyway) but I prefer the difference to be more natural.

It's true the vast majority of in-game sprites look very much alike, but the vast majority of the sprites doesn't have a noticeable gender in the first place.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Well yeah, Doug's right. You do see muscular girls and sissy boys nowadays...

And hey now we may have a bearded women pokémon too! Nintendo could hold a circus freak show if they wanted to.

And Gardy has a bigger probability of being female considering all Gardevoir from DPPt are.
What? I could swear you could evolve a male Kirlia to Gardevoir in DPPt?

a mustache is a predominately masculine symbol

female Alakazam has a mustache

there ain't nothing wrong with a lady havin' some fur.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I'm still experimenting with shiny colors. Darkie mentioned that he wasn't too fond of the purple shiny and Jagged Angel said the "seaweed green" looked pretty cool. So, I've taken another crack at the seaweed green. But this time, I have made the face and hat "tan and suede", since it compliments the overall "yellowish" tone of the shiny. Here's the new possible shiny next to the normal color:

What do you thinK? Is this better than the purple and red?

Made some more changes to the sprite, with thanks to Wichu for helping by example.

The Luchador palette was really just a joke submission, but if people want it, I could make it my official shiny entry, no problem.
Also, not something to base a decision on, but:

Kra-kraw!

edit:
like so?

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I'm a sucker for bright, neon shinies, but try it with the light blue as the main color, and the orange as the blades.

Edit: Yeah I like that a lot better. It's less harsh on the eyes.

Made some more changes to the sprite, with thanks to Wichu for helping by example.

The Luchador palette was really just a joke submission, but if people want it, I could make it my official shiny entry, no problem.
Also, not something to base a decision on, but:

Kra-kraw!
It looks really neater from your first submission.. the shinies looks real nice, and the backsprite is just amazing

Cartoons!- I myself love the Luchador shiny. Your sprite looks great, one way or another. And the animation just makes it better. I do believe I know who got my vote. =D

....But the Luchador shiny would make it hands-down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)