CAP 6 CAP 6 - Part 1 - Concept Poll 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all, i am Adamantly against a Physical Blissey. A Physical Blissey will without a doubt, increase centralization, because if it is going to be anything like it sounds, then a CAP6 + Blissey Combo would be deadly. Not to mention the fact that Blissey has Wish and can wish pass to CAP 6 as it enters to make it as if nothing happened.

Because i don't want to divide votes, and i know voting for mine is currently futile, I am supporting Hyra's Decentralizer. It will do more for the CAP Metagame, because it will counter the biggest threats in it, and cause a shake up in the metgame that will be more beneficial than a Physiclal Blissey

Voting Caladbolg's Masochist, as it's something interesting that I feel could end up amazing if it's done right

Also, first post woo

I'd have to vote with Caladbolg's Masochist. It seems like a very unique concept that could be designed for the bravest players.

linton's unpredictable

because I mean, if we do this right, it will be able to cripple nearly anything that you could think of (though not all at the same time). The work would be with the user to try to fit it in and surprise the enemy without him suspecting what set you are running. The opponent would have to throw conventional plans out the window and switch around a bunch to try to get the user to slip up and reveal what set he is using.

Sounds like fun stuff in general

CyzirVisheen

Am I poplar yet?
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
There are a lot of good options to choose from, including Sihk's, Tsukikage's, SoT's, and Gothic Togekiss', but in the end I had to go with Hyra's Decentralizer.

In reality, the CAP metagame is shifted toward balance and stall, rather than offense. So adding another tank would balance the metagame in a way.
I disagree with tennis on this one. The addition of Pokemon such as Revenankh and Pyroak being able to come in against DPPt monsters like Heatran, Scizor and Zapdos already make it a much more balanced metagame than standard OU. Stall is more viable here than in Platinum OU that recommends offense.

The addition of yet another tank or wall meant to take on these threats will mean much unless we create a pure counter. A physical Blissey is completely unecessary in the CAP OU metagame because outside of Earthquake and Close Combat, which both do very little to Revenankh and give Pyroak enough to survive, the metagame is run by Special Attacks.

These Pokemon - Heatran, Scizor, Shaymin-S, Zapdos, for a few examples - are still going to be dominating the offensive metagame. Another physical tank will just be a thorn in their side. We aren't creating a healthy and diverse metagame by doing so.

It's all a chain - when something new is added, the metagame shifts to accept and adapt to that addition. A brief example of this is how Scizor's acquisition of Bullet Punch led to an increase of Heatran because it was a good counter. That led to more Suicune and Vaporeon, which in turn led to more Zapdos. Zapdos itself was a great counter for Scizor with Heat Wave, etc.

An example of this on the CAP server was the introduction of Stratagem. With a Rock Special Sweeper on the loose, Tyranitar, Hariyama and Machamp have been increasing as far as I can tell. Tyranitar's acqusition of Aqua Tail in Platinum has also led to a decrease of Hippowdon.

Adding a Physical Blissey will not diversify or set off a "chain reaction" in the CAP OU metagame because the metagame is not in need of it. Scizor and Tyranitar are the only major physical CAP threats, and they are kept in check.

SoT

I leave and they change my avatar to this?
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well apparently my great wall was a hit, it got 2 other (really) similar submissions.

I'm going with LonelyNess's Physical Blissey

It's the exact same as mine, and I didn't want to look like an ass voting for myself.

edit: funny thing, I even called it that in the post, but apparently I was breaking the rules ^_^

Calad

Hero of the Blue Flames
is an Artist Alumnus
I'm voting for Caladbolg's Masochist.

I don't think I'll make it, but I'll improve my concept.

I'm actually changing my mind: I'm sticking with my guns and voting for Hyra's Decentraliser. I also like LN's Physical Bliss and Mekkah's Anti-Trick, and I'd love to do Decentraliser next CaP if this doesn't make it, or an OU Pokémon that counters Trick. From what I've seen, Physical Bliss would benefit standard more than CaP OU, for reasons RBG and cyberzero pointed out. Part of me is also concerned we'd end up with another ~!*@4r$skaRMbLizs#*$~ unintentionally as well. Blissey is just the special wall and I don't feel we need the physical wall to compete as much. Two walls that far outstrip the others would just be unnecessary IMO. Special attackers are better in OU theoretically due to a weakness to special attacks in OU, but Blissey walls a lot of them so effortlessly as it is; I don't like the idea of CaP ending up totally defensive either.

I really strongly believe that a Physical Blissey will probably actually centralise the metagame more, either around it/its counters or mixed sweepers, and a Decentraliser would be not only beneficial for CaP's reputation as an enhanced metagame, but teach us a lot about centralisation, and isn't one of CaP's aims to learn about Pokémon by building them?

ETA: A quick tally:

Decentraliser: 8
Tank of China: 6
Physical Bliss: 5
Tier Tossup: 5
Weather Starter: 3
Masochist: 3
Anti-Switch: 2
Unpredictable: 2
Icy Cold Freezer Box: 2
Kingdra in the Snow: 2
It's Your Choice: 2
Anti-Trick: 1
The Great Wall: 1
Anti-Startup: 1
Cripplemon: 1
Item Abuser: 1
Jailkeeper: 1

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I vote for Mekkah's Anti-Trick concept.

With the advent of Platinum, an anti-Trick pokemon would be an incredibly up-to-date response to one of the most recent trends in the metagame. It would be a fun project to build and would invoke some very interesting discussions about recent battling techniques. If this was our concept, we might attract some good non-CAP battlers to chip in their two cents on the best way to combat not only Trick, but more importantly, the common users of Trick in the current OU metagame.

Tough choice, and seing as mine has no support, I'll have to go with Hyra's Decentraliser seeing as I like using anti metagame stuff.

Why I'm not voting for the physical blissey: The standard metagame is filled with plenty of physical walls such as Skarmory, Gliscor, Bronzong, and Hippowdon. BL and UU have Weezing, Slowbro and Tangrowth. At least OU viable walls. Look at Special walls. There is no choice. Blissey. Thats it. No other Special Wall can compete with this. A physical clone could send Skarm, Gliscor, and Hippo to BL. Decentralizing is better than overcentralizing.

After many hours of thinking and a mental coin flip, I decided to vote on Sikh Assasin's "The Great Tank of China" idea. Sometime within his persuasion post caught my eye and lured me to the idea, that and being able to stop Zapdos and Heatran is a nice touch. I'll admit that I don't have any problem with either Ness or Hyra's idea winning over Sikh, but that's me.

Hyra's Decentralizer.

this is an explicitely metagame centric option, unlike anti trick, or even physical blissey or great wall, who's definition expands to "all pokemon" and weakens it's explicit metagame balancing function, unlike hyra's option.

maybe i'm biased but this is exactly the kind of project cap needs and if it doens't win out i hope we start talking about an evo project soon, not to derail the thread !

i fucking love what trick does to the offensive metagame anyways, and i feel like sikh/ln have had too much problems defining their objectives compared to the relatively open (which suits cap) and explicitely metagame centric concept will take us.

edit: I'm flattered hyrai x)

ahaha

Gorm, I wrote that suggestion just for you, since it seems like the best thing to do with CAP at the moment. Although, I looked back and our most recent usage stats are from September (unless I am blind, which is very possible). So, we might need to update those to see what the top 5 actually is (unless we want to do top 5 on the Smogon Standard ladder).

LonelyNess' Physical Blissey

Yeah, I know people are saying the CaP metagame is more towards balance and stall and to some extent that is true. CaP has definitely put some bulky (or at least not frail) pokemon into OU. None, of the physical walls imo, are anything like a physical bliss and to this day I have more physically bulky pokemon on my team than specially bulky (half of which aren't even walls *sigh*).

beej

everybody walk the dinosaur
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Hyra's Decentralizer

I love the idea of a Pokemon that can decentralize the metagame more and make it slightly less nuts, but a physical Blissey scares me for reasons already stated in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)