CAP 6 CAP 6 - Part 1 - Concept Poll 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

LonelyNess

Makin' PK Love
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Alright, I'll give some reasoning for you. Even for both sides.

Reasons to Vote for Sikh

Sikh's submission is basically asking for another Celebi / Zapdos / Heatran / etc... (obviously with different typing)

It is supposed to be able to take a few hits, but shouldn't be taking hits all match long, and is supposed to be able to dish out a hurting as well. It doesn't just sit there and sponge hits, but it obviously won't be staying around for as long.

Reasons to Vote for Me

My submission is basically for a wall. We're thinking Blissey, Bronzong, etc... It won't be doing much actaul attacking (aside from Seismic toss and weak super effective moves). But it will be walling Pokemon out the wazzu, not to mention that there are other ways of threatening physical Pokemon, you can cripple them with status, you can take away stat boosts and do chip damage little by little. The main thing is that this thing shouldn't be able to sweep, and should have little to no viable offensive sets (think: CM Blissey as the only viable offensive set).

Why I Think Mine is Better

Simply put, we just plain don't need another bulky strong attacker. With the metagame already rife with such Pokemon, we already know what impact such a beast will have on the metagame. And to be honest, it's just more of the same. Not to mention, in order to give it the attacking prowess we desire, we'll have to cut back on defenses, which makes me wonder why we're going that route in the first place.

Mine, however, will be able to actually deal with the physical threats for long periods of time. And unlike Tennis said, Blissey has been used on many a Offensive team as a pivot Pokemon for offensive teams particularly weak to Special attackers. The physical counterpart will opperate much the same.

All in all, we don't need more of the same. We need a Pokemon who can do its job, taking physical hits, for long periods of time and be reliable during the entire course of battle. We don't need another Pokemon that "takes enough hits, does some damage, and dies to something 'too strong' for it."

-----------------------

Also, in terms of "literal number" of physical pokemon to special pokemon, 28 / 46 OU Pokemon use a physically biased set, while only 18 / 46 OU Pokemon use a specially based set.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Personally I like both ideas, but we've already made a wall (Pyroak). Right now a tank would be much better for the metagame, seeing as tanks are quite popular, so a tank that could take out other tanks would help a ton with balancing the metagame.

LonelyNess

Makin' PK Love
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I would never consider Pyroak a wall, not with that horrendous typing and so-so defensive stats. It's more a tank just like Rev. Especially since it has pretty good offensive options in its Choice Band sets and Growth set.

My anti-Trick Item Abuser.

If we can't vote for myself then my support goes to Sikh's Great Wall of China concept.
This has probably been mentioned before, but this and Mekkah's are nearly the same, it'd be a shame if neither moved on to the next poll because the votes were split between them...

Let's start with what is a tank. In Pokemon, a tank is a Pokemon who can take hits and dish them back almost twice as hard. For the most part though these have almost always been physically oriented. Hence, Rhyperior and Swampert. Every passing month Rhyperior is on the rise. You want to know why? It can do amazing damage while taking hits like they are nothing. People have realized his potential. Colonel M and SoT can back me up on this. Well let's take an even deeper look at Rhyperior. Its a tank. It has a gigantic attack stat as well as amazing defenses. This attack stat allows Rhyperior to sweep but that is not the only factor involved. The defenses let him take a hit making his completely obsolete speed unneeded and not a factor. Rhyperior is literally a monster and a great wall, but it can almost always kill at least one Pokemon.

That is what I plan for this Pokemon except, it should be specially biased. Sure Scizor is on a rampage but so are Special Attackers. Most importantly lets look at Heatran, Zapdos, and Skymin. Assuming we are using the wished for Electric / Dragon typing, Zapdos can't really do shit. T-Bolt and Heatwave don't do anything thanks to typing resistances and non-super effective attacks. HP Ice is your only worry but it can only do about 1/4 to 1/3 damage as it is unSTAB'd. This is only using a 100 base SpD. That's one down. Heatran can only use Earth Power / Explosion. Explosion can't be helped but is uncommon nowadays. HP Ice is used a lot more and it is the same thing with Zapdos as mentioned earlier. Earth Power will do about 2/3 damage. Since you have an Electric-typing, T-Wave is a given. With T-Wave you incapacitate Heatran, and you rest off the damage, or you switch to another Pokemon who can now take over much more easily. That is two down! Skymin can almost OHKO, but almost, while you OHKO with T-Bolt. That's three out of three and that is just the tip of the iceberg! Think of what else we can do with this concept!

As far as abilities go, we can imitate a form of Solid Rock for this Pokemon, or we could just use Levitate and make Heatran obsolete. These are just some of the ideas, we can plan this whole Pokemon out together, or completely revamp these ideas! Abilities, moves, etc. are all up to you!

I'm not going to tell you why mine is better than any other as it may not be, that is fully opinionated and personal but I can tell what we can really do with "The Great Tank of China"!

I would never consider Pyroak a wall, not with that horrendous typing and so-so defensive stats. It's more a tank just like Rev. Especially since it has pretty good offensive options in its Choice Band sets and Growth set.
Pyroak has horrendous typing? It has like, 2 or 3 weaknesses, 1 of which it can hit with STAB... urm

Magmortified's "It's You Choice"

I'd rather not get another wall-ish tank. Granted, this pokemon could turn out to be a tank (ELEC/DRAGON SPECS/BAND!!!), but I'll hope that it won't.

Plus, I'd like a really good choice user that you can fit on a lot of teams.

Sikh assassin said:
Assuming we are using the wished for Electric / Dragon typing, Zapdos can't really do shit. T-Bolt and Heatwave don't do anything thanks to typing resistances and non-super effective attacks. HP Ice is your only worry but it can only do about 1/4 to 1/3 damage as it is unSTAB'd. This is only using a 100 base SpD. That's one down. Heatran can only use Earth Power / Explosion. Explosion can't be helped but is uncommon nowadays. HP Ice is used a lot more and it is the same thing with Zapdos as mentioned earlier. Earth Power will do about 2/3 damage. Since you have an Electric-typing, T-Wave is a given. With T-Wave you incapacitate Heatran, and you rest off the damage, or you switch to another Pokemon who can now take over much more easily. That is two down! Skymin can almost OHKO, but almost, while you OHKO with T-Bolt. That's three out of three and that is just the tip of the iceberg! Think of what else we can do with this concept!
let's not poll jump

TehPiplupMan's Tier-tossup - Creating a pokemon that is best countered only by BL or UU pokemon is a challenging concept that could be alot of fun to make and if we do it right, we could decentralise the metagame quite a bit.

Why I Think Mine is Better

Simply put, we just plain don't need another bulky strong attacker. With the metagame already rife with such Pokemon, we already know what impact such a beast will have on the metagame. And to be honest, it's just more of the same. Not to mention, in order to give it the attacking prowess we desire, we'll have to cut back on defenses, which makes me wonder why we're going that route in the first place.
It is true that the Metagame has several bulk and strong attackers, but I don't see what the problem is with having another one if it effectively counters the ones that are most common in the metagame. That is like saying that if special sweepers were prevelant and somehow another special sweeper would be able to counter them better than a special wall or something, that we shouldn't use one even if it had traits the clearly distinguished itself from the other special sweepers that enabled it to counter them. Alright, not the best example, but you do see my point? It is obviously not going to have amazing defenses compared to other walls, but the tank should have some pretty dang good ones non-the less, even with sacrificing some for an Attacking stat.

Mine, however, will be able to actually deal with the physical threats for long periods of time. And unlike Tennis said, Blissey has been used on many a Offensive team as a pivot Pokemon for offensive teams particularly weak to Special attackers. The physical counterpart will operate much the same.
Who is to say that the tank would not be able to counter physical threats and serve as a pivot? Granted it wouldn't do it as well as Blissey or your physical blissey, but that wouldn't be its main purpose, albeit able to accomplish such a task most likely.

All in all, we don't need more of the same. We need a Pokemon who can do its job, taking physical hits, for long periods of time and be reliable during the entire course of battle. We don't need another Pokemon that "takes enough hits, does some damage, and dies to something 'too strong' for it."

-----------------------

Also, in terms of "literal number" of physical pokemon to special pokemon, 28 / 46 OU Pokemon use a physically biased set, while only 18 / 46 OU Pokemon use a specially based set.
It is not really more of the same, rather it is a similar pokemon countering what it is similar too amongst other threats. Really you are assuming here that a better metagame requires physical pokemon to have better counters. You say yourself that more pokemon are physically oriented, but how many are really top OUs? How many top OUs are physically based compared to the top OUs that are special based? Ehh I suppose I am coming from a biased view, but why not play Devil's Advocate here? If anything if you feel your pokemon is the superior choice over Sikh's or any of the others my points should be refutable, no? Hell, if I was in your favor I would be refuting Sikh's points all the same right now :pimp:

Magmortified

<b>CAP 8 Playtesting Expert</b>
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Magmortified's: It's Your Choice

Discounting Heatran and the Trick-leading Pokemon, you really don't see Choice items that often anymore. Compared to the days of earlier D/P when you could expect maybe two of them on a given team. Choice items have the potential to be a big force in the metagame, but a lot of people have been forsaking them for what appear to be "better options." While, this admittedly due to the downsides present in the Choice items themselves, what better and more interesting challenge for CAP than to build a Pokemon whose "better options" are the Choice items?

Also, I've noticed that CAP likes to tend towards the realm of the bulky ever since we made Syclant? Just a random thought. :X

Hyra's Decentralizer.

It seems like the most direct route to tossing a little more variety into the OU metagame. Oh, and can we PLEASE not do a wall/tank? Call it what you want, but it's not that exciting.

Mag, on the topic of pokemon leaning towards bulky in CAP, think about this: we are trying to balance the metagame here. With it being primarily offensive, wouldn't bulky at the time being be the best away to decentralize things and balance it? If the metagame were very stall heavy we would be seeing more syclants and stratagems being made here to be wall breakers and such.

Bull of Heaven

I'm personally more interested in seeing the effect that Hyra's Decentralizer has on the metagame than creating some wall.

LonelyNess

Makin' PK Love
I'd just like to say that adding another tankish pokemon that can take a few hits and dish them out as well doesn't balance the offensive metagame that is in play, but rather facilitates it by basically saying "Here is another offensive Pokemon that can take the hits of its fellow offensive Pokemon and hit hard. Just like the rest of the metagame"

It doesn't fix anything, it doesn't benifit anything, it just "adds another option" to the already bloated list of bulky attackers.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I'd just like to say that adding another tankish pokemon that can take a few hits and dish them out as well doesn't balance the offensive metagame that is in play, but rather facilitates it by basically saying "Here is another offensive Pokemon that can take the hits of its fellow offensive Pokemon and hit hard. Just like the rest of the metagame"

It doesn't fix anything, it doesn't benifit anything, it just "adds another option" to the already bloated list of bulky attackers.
In reality, the CAP metagame is shifted toward balance and stall, rather than offense. So adding another tank would balance the metagame in a way.

Well, it seems that LonelyNess and Sihk's ideas have enough support with out me, so I vote for:

The Super Awesome Amazing Hyra's Ultimate Pokemon Platinum Metagame Decentralizer!

(I feel Sihk and LonelyNess's ideas will do what mine does, just in a more rigid way [for example, we can create something similar to Heatran thats both a great check to a lot of Pokemon and still a threat to a lot of Pokemon]).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)