CAP 5 CAP 5 - Concept Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I was not attempting to bump my entry, though i am sorry if it came across that way. i just wanted to confirm that it was in fact valid, and not a waste of my one entry, because i am not positive.
Its a bump. However, while your concept is vague, and I don't know exactly how it would go in a process, it is completely valid.

Tennis the concept Nazi.

But really it's needed... I haven't seen anything I particularly like since like page 6.

I'm back with my 3rd attempt at an entry. :)

Name: Cupid as a Pokemon.
Concept: Attract is not popular in NU, nevermind OU. This Pokemon can bring Attract into BL/OU metagame via certain means. Speed would be one of it's best stats, and one of it's downfalls could be that it cannot deliver to it's full potential due to Genderless Pokemon being more common in the higher tiers. This could force switches and work in tandem with Stealth Rock & Spikes.

Hopefully that hasn't been done. :P

Also agreeing with Mr. Munch.

I could have Traunt as an ability and still counter hax just by having the move Lucky Chant. Or I could use hax by having the move Slash (go go Slaking). It does restrict us somewhat, but no more than saying defensive prevents us from having Solar Power as a reasonable ability submission. This restriction and direction is what Concept is supposed to do, no?

I'm back with my 3rd attempt at an entry. :)

Name: Cupid as a Pokemon.
Concept: Attract is not popular in NU, nevermind OU. This Pokemon can bring Attract into BL/OU metagame via certain means. Speed would be one of it's best stats, and one of it's downfalls could be that it cannot deliver to it's full potential due to Genderless Pokemon being more common in the higher tiers. This could force switches and work in tandem with Stealth Rock & Spikes.

Hopefully that hasn't been done. :P
There is a reason why attract is hardly ever used in Pokemon. It is that Attract is just an inferior "status" condition.

Also agreeing with Mr. Munch.

I could have Traunt as an ability and still counter hax just by having the move Lucky Chant. Or I could use hax by having the move Slash (go go Slaking). It does restrict us somewhat, but no more than saying defensive prevents us from having Solar Power as a reasonable ability submission. This restriction and direction is what Concept is supposed to do, no?
Thank You Good Sir.

Tennis, by your logic, Doug's example of "Kingdra of the Sun" (the example of what a LEGAL submission is) would be Illegal because it relies on an ability like Chlorophyll or Solar Power. While those would sure help, it could also just have good moves like sunny day, flamethrower, and solar beam to get the job done. Mine is actually quite similar in comparison to that one. It should also be considered legal.

Also, Hyra brought up a point I STRONGLY agree with. That is that the concept SHOULD direct the rest of the project. It is the point.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I agree with UberMunch on this, if a concept allows a wide range of abilitys/moves (e.g. "An ability that helps it to take hits better" or "Has many strong but inaccurate moves") it should not be blocked.

Fixed grammar errors and beefed up explanation for True Garchomp Counter

You have looked at my True Garchomp Counter haven't you?
If Chompy is about to be banned (just going off comments in the new Ladder thread, I know he might stay), why do we need to spend about a month making a counter for him.

No, because it still depends on an ability to function. It doesn't matter what said ability is, or how many it could be, its still ability dependent. Even if it WASN'T, it would depend on a specific set of moves. So either way, its out.
I'm curious, would my Super Fang / Brine 2HKO Machine entry be legal? It's just two moves, so I didn't think it was half as egregious as, say, even Fidgit was. And not that much more incriminating than a Rapid Spinner. What I'm saying is, is it really out if it depends on a specific set of moves? I thought that was just about the only specific thing that was legal. Not an entire movelist or anything, but just a couple of moves that outline the concept.

I agree with what UberMunch and co. are saying, by the way, but I really don't think it matters. In any case, when is this thread closing?

tennisace

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I'm curious, would my Super Fang / Brine 2HKO Machine entry be legal? It's just two moves, so I didn't think it was half as egregious as, say, even Fidgit was. And not that much more incriminating than a Rapid Spinner. What I'm saying is, is it really out if it depends on a specific set of moves? I thought that was just about the only specific thing that was legal. Not an entire movelist or anything, but just a couple of moves that outline the concept.

I agree with what UberMunch and co. are saying, by the way, but I really don't think it matters. In any case, when is this thread closing?
I believe so, since the whole concept hinges on only two moves, and the rest is subject to interpretation.

Also, this thread will close when the new TL is announced.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Name: Revenankh Counter
Concept: A Pokemon that can counter BU Revenankh (at least Ice Punch and Shadow Sneak variants) decently. It may do this by any means (Stall out, Set up on it, KO quickly) except by Phazeing as that just delays the problem.

Explenation: We have all been swept by a BU Revenankh, and we all know that most counters (Mence, Dos, Kiss, Fidgit, Bi) are beaten soundly by Ice Punch and that if you give it even a tiny chance it will tear your team apart.
By provideing a "Full Stop" for Revenankh this Pokemon will reduce the domenence of Revenankh over the CaP Metagame.

meh, its not that good but I thought I may as well throw it out there.

tennisace

Name: Revenankh Counter
Concept: A Pokemon that can counter BU Revenankh (at least Ice Punch and Shadow Sneak variants) decently. It may do this by any means (Stall out, Set up on it, KO quickly) except by Phazeing as that just delays the problem.

Explenation: We have all been swept by a BU Revenankh, and we all know that most counters (Mence, Dos, Kiss, Fidgit, Bi) are beaten soundly by Ice Punch and that if you give it even a tiny chance it will tear your team apart.
By provideing a "Full Stop" for Revenankh this Pokemon will reduce the domenence of Revenankh over the CaP Metagame.

meh, its not that good but I thought I may as well throw it out there.
Gyarados actually isn't beat by Ice Punch, but it can't do much back. Personally, Jirachi is one of the only "fool proof" counters.

Dos works perfectly fine, because most people try to Bulk Up when you Taunt them. You then DD once and procede to kill them before they kill them before they can kill you. Not sure if this works with LO Dos though and it still pretty much makes a Bulky Dos useless because you take so much damage. But it kills Revenankh, so it is a counter.

And Shadow Punch does more damage than Ice Punch to Dos anyways.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Concept Submissions are now closed.

I have gone through the entire thread and evaluated every Concept for compliance with the rules stated in the OP and the rules of the CAP project. The following Concepts are legal and available to the Topic Leader for possible inclusion in the Concept Poll. This is NOT a list of Concepts that will be in the Concept Poll. The TL can narrow this list as they see fit. For example, they may choose ten of these for a click poll. Or perhaps they may pick several for a bold poll. I really don't know what the TL will do.

I did not evaluate whether these are *good* concepts or not. The Topic Leader will do that. This is simply the list of Concepts that have not been deemed illegal for one reason or another.

yoshi - The Ultimate Weather Team Counter
HoundoomDude - Anti Lead Pokemon
ParanoidDrone - Weather Starter
Sikh Assassin - Revenge Killer
Kamen Rider - Anti-Post Setup
Plus - Anti-CaP
RB Golbat - Status spreader/abuser
Gothic Togekiss - Status Counter/Absorber
latinoheat - Break the Mold
tennisace0227 - Bulky Specs User
1059860 - Anti-Substitute
Empoleon Guru - Sunny Day abuser
Sgt_Woodsy - Bulky Wall-Breaker
Magmortified - Priority Pokemon
Fishin - Atomic Bomb
IceBug - Accuracy Abuser
LonelyNess - Physical Wall
CPU - Slightly-Above-Average Joe
Drillist - The Definate Hazer
Comatose811 - Entry Hazard Stop
TAY - Behold, the Power of Aura!
CasMat - Variable Stat Booster
iBojangles - Simon Says
chronostrike - Special Wall
Sunday - Kamikaze
Amelia - Bulky Super-Fang user
Shelcario - Baton Pass Supporter
Syprus - Weakness Counter
Kazio32 - Trick room abuser
Iraff - Set-Damage User
Chaoscrippler - Gatling Gun
Tsukikage - Brand-name foam football, otherwise known as Nerf
Kietharr - Mischief Master
UberMunch - Controller of Hax
bumfacepik - Ultimate switcher
Master of the Six Kings - Mailman
Alper - Mew in OU
Admiral_Stalfos19 - True Garchomp Counter
Tortured_Soul - Speed Lowering Abuser
Exclamation Point - Item Abuser
eric the espeon - Revenankh Counter

A few specific notes:

Sunday - the last sentence of your description is bordering on "explanation", but the wording isn't illegal. I personally don't think your concept needs that line anyway. But, it was still a short, succinct description -- so it's legal.

UberMunch - For all the arguing over your submission, I think it ended up comfortably legal. I appreciate the work you put in to craft it so that it conforms. I wish other project members would have put in similar effort while writing their concepts.

Tsukikage and TAY - Your concept names really go against the "Don't get too cute with names" guideline. But, that wasn't really a rule, just a suggestion.​

Here is a list of all the illegal concepts along with a very brief explanation as to why they were rejected or ignored. For those of you that were ignored for formatting, I clearly warned you in this post earlier.

Code:
Genesis of Oblivion - Did not follow formatting rules
Beef 2.0 - Did not follow formatting rules
Coconut Storm - Not an OU concept
Darth Meanie - Did not follow formatting rules
Beej - Overly specific bias stipulations
Deck Knight - Duplicate/similarity to previous concept
OvaRoa - Broke multiple rules, read the OP
rayquazamaster776 - Did not follow formatting rules
MeGaBiTe - You combined your description and explanation
Frosty - Basically requires an ability
omgthatkid - Similar to previous concept
Sworddigger - Similar to previous concept
Legacy Raider - Similar to previous concept
Kira - Basically requires an ability
Calciphoce - You combined your description and explanation
41victory - You combined your description and explanation
Winter.Mute - Basically requires an ability
ParadOxymoron - Did not follow formatting rules and you combined your description and explanation
Drakhun - One pokemon only
Caelum - You combined your description and explanation
Sacrificial Pokemon - Similar to previous concept
Lightning Storm - Submitted multiple concepts
T_T - You combined your description and explanation
Ferdie - Similar to previous concept
Tauros - You combined your description and explanation
Cosmos - Basically requires an ability
TehPiplupMan - Submitted multiple concepts
Nenoplan - No abilities
samtheman - Similar to previous concept
Leman - Basically requires an ability
DarthVader317 - Similar to previous concept
Selphimist - Impossible to implement
Flash_gearz - You mentioned moves not central to the concept
billymills666 - This would force us to decide the ability first
Hazmat - Basically requires an ability
DDRMaster - Similar to previous concept
ControllerOfFlames - No abilities
Helios - Similar to previous concept
eryz - Similar to previous concept
Red Rain - Submitted multiple concepts
If you disagree with my judgment on illegality, then take it up with the TL via PM. The new TL will be announced soon in the TL nomination thread. If the TL believes a submission to be legal, and they want to include it in the poll, I probably won't stand in their way.

There are several borderline cases in the list of legal Concepts. I felt I should pass all borderline cases to the TL and let them decide. If I took a more strict approach to interpreting the rules, about half of those concepts could be eliminated.

Thanks to all the authors of legal Concepts. I think this Concept Submission thread went much smoother than last time. But, we still have some work to do in ironing out the Concept Submission process. All in all, I think there are many good Concepts to choose from and I am excited to see which one wins!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)