CAP 4 CAP 4 - Part 10 (Support Moves Poll)

Status
Not open for further replies.

beej

everybody walk the dinosaur
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Admittedly, I really wouldn't think twice about voting for Tailwind if it was the kind of move that was on things that made no sense, like Thunderbolt on every Normal-type in existence and RHYPERIOR of all things, or Whirlwind on Snorlax (wtf?). But the fact that very VERY few things seem to learn it, in all cases the move making at least a tiny bit of sense, really says something.

The second Snorlax gets Tailwind and Skarmory gets Ice Punch, I'll be in favor of the move. A clone of the move is okay, though.

Wish - Yes/No
Slack Off - Yes/No
Block/Spider Web - Yes/No
Tailwind - Yes/No
Gravity - Yes/No
Heal Block - Yes/No
Yawn - Yes/No

We need more Wishers, but this thing doesn't need Wish and 50% recovery at the same time. I'm actually apathetic about Block/Spider Web, but I'd rather it get put to use in an actual battle so we're not sitting here all day debating whether Block + Encore is broken or not. Tailwind and Gravity, while...lacking in flavor justification at the moment (gogogo Dex entries?), were specifically mentioned in the original concept, which I feel overrides any flavor arguments. (Why did we make this thing a Ground type if we knew it was supposed to get Tailwind anyway? I'm still trying to figure that one out.) Heal Block and Yawn get nays from me due to some fears about them that devolve into theorymon rather quickly, so I'll refrain from going into much detail.

Wish - Yes/No
Slack Off - Yes/No
Tailwind - Yes/No
Gravity - Yes/No
Heal Block - Yes/No
Yawn - Yes/No

Wish: A good support move and something that this Pokemon will be able to use well enough with his defenses.

Slack Off: I'm not entirely opposed to giving this a 50% healing move however i'd prefer Recovery over Slack Off if we were to give him one.

Block/Spider Web: I prefer Block. Coupled with Gravity I can perhaps see DLL becoming a Skarmory killer.

Tailwind: Look, from the moment this became a ground type Tailwind has become a nightmare in terms of flavour and nobody tell me that because the smogimp had a tail that it was any more suited to it because frankly it wouldn't help. Here's the ingame description-

The user whips up a turbulent whirlwind that ups the Speed of all party Pokémon for five turns.

Well, I don't know about you but that's not actually a Tailwind... makes me wonder what it means in other languages. Regardless, out little friend is certainly capable of whipping up whirlwinds so i'm voting for this. It would be a waste not to at least test this. Anyway, it no more makes me go WTF than surf on Rhyperior with the help of the ingame description.

If you guys really want to make a clone of the move go ahead.

Gravity: Anybody who says this doesn't fit flavour-wise is being far far too picky. There are few Pokemon that can use this move and even fewer that can use this effectively.

Heal Block: There doesn't seem to be much trend to who can use this and although it's usefulness is situational at best the turn boost may well make it easier kill stallers such as Blissey and Pyroak.

Yawn: I think this Pokemon will be annoying enough with trapping skills but that's debatable.

Wish - Yes/No
Slack Off - Yes/No
Tailwind - Yes/No
Gravity - Yes/No
Heal Block - Yes/No
Yawn - Yes/No

Wish - Yes/No
Slack Off - Yes/No
Tailwind - Yes/No its hands don't rotate 360 degrees so no
Gravity - Yes/No
Heal Block - Yes/No
Yawn - Yes/No

Wish - Yes
Slack Off - No
Block/Spider Web - Yes
Tailwind - No
Gravity - Yes
Heal Block - Yes
Yawn - No (but, yeah, it's always had a mouth)

Wish - Yes/No
Slack Off - Yes/No
Tailwind - Yes/No
Gravity - Yes/No
Heal Block - Yes/No
Yawn - Yes/No

As for wish vs slack off, there can be only one. It's role is utility, which is supposed to help the team. Therefore, wish it is.

For Block/Spider Web... sure, why not. Only suggestion I have is to try and make it an egg move incompatible with encore, just in case.

Tailwind. Changing stances on this, as I was confusing Tailwind with Slipstream. My bad.

Gravity, sure why not. Not like anyone else can use it properly.

Heal Block, see gravity.

Yawn, no. This thing should get no status moves outside of poison.

Wish - Yes/No-
Slack Off - Yes/No-
Tailwind - Yes/No
Gravity - Yes/No
Heal Block - Yes/No
Yawn - Yes/No

Wish - It definitely looks like it can wish, and this way, his primary form of recovery will either take up to slots (wish protect) or two turns
Slack Off - If it has Vital Spirit, whcih prevents it from being asleep, why would it slack off?
Block/Spider Web - Its based on a spider, and it has many hands to block something from leaving.
Tailwind- I dont see how this would work
Gravity - It is ground type, and it can go underground, it should be able to use it.
Heal Block -I dont see how this would work
Yawn- again, if it has vital spirit, why would it be yawning?

Should the following moves be allowed to appear on movepool suggestions for our Pokemon? (Please note "yes" winning does not garuntee our Pokemon getting this move. Also you must answer all questions, and bold your answers.)
Wish - Yes/No
Slack Off - Yes/No
Tailwind - Yes/No
Gravity - Yes/No
Heal Block - Yes/No
Yawn - Yes/No

Wish - Yes/No
Slack Off - Yes/No
Tailwind - Yes/No
Gravity - Yes/No
Heal Block - Yes/No
Yawn - Yes/No

What? That's a slipstream. A tailwind, as X-Act pointed out previously, is a wind coming from behind that speeds flight (and hinders landing).
OK, I need to brush up on my physics it seems.

That's just not true. Look at the list of Pokémon that learn Tailwind.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/moves/tailwind

Four birds, a butterfly, and an avatar of the north wind. If it's not flapping your wings, its controlling the wind with your legendary powers. There's just no way this thing can learn Tailwind.

Look, why don't we compromise? Why don't we make a new move that's just like Tailwind, except with different flavor? Superspeed. Psychic type. That way everybody can be happy.
Suicune learns Tailwind, therefore "wings" are not are not a requirement for Tailwind, non? If you look at Suicune's sprite, what is there to suggest that the pokemon can control a Tailwind? Unlike Gamefreak we are not interested in a fully-rounded concept of a pokemon, but the competitive aspect of the pokemon and so any moves we give it to not have to abide by any pre-determined concept except that of the role it will play in the competitive metagame.

My initial point is still valid, that we can make an obscure description to just Tailwind such as "this pokemon's hands possess mystical gems suggested to be able to control the elements" or something like that. The flavour-wise argument is not very strong compared to that of fulfilling its pre-determined role in the competitive metagame. It's not like we are giving Dugtrio Fly or something.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I'm not as harsh as LonelyNess in his criticism of flavor, but I agree that flavor really needs to take a back seat here. You people are acting like these pokemon are going to appear in the anime or something. They are not. They are going to be implemented on a Battle Simulator for the sole purpose of experimenting with the competitive metagame.

How can we possibly experiment with Tailwind, if we don't give it to this guy? We will NEVER get another chance to see if Tailwind can work in the metagame, if we pass on the opportunity here. Why? Because, without Persistent -- Tailwind is worthless. Three turns is just too little. What is the likelihood that we will make another pokemon in the future that has the typing, stats, purpose, Persistent ability, AND has the elusive "flavor" to justify Tailwind? It will NEVER EVER HAPPEN.

Considering how important speed is in competitive play, you have to be brain dead if you haven't salivated at the possibility of using one pokemon to boost the entire team's speed. Hell, look at all the wacky team builds that attempt to Baton Pass speed from Agility, Speed Boost, and Salac. None of those strategies are used much in the upper echelons of competitive play. If we implement Persistent Tailwind, we can genuinely experiment with team speed.

But, we can't do it if the flavor-junkies shoot it down.

I care about flavor somewhat. But not enough to pass up on a golden opportunity to learn something new about competitive play. If we don't give this pokemon Tailwind, I will be very disappointed in this project's ability to stay focused on competitive battling goals. Flavor is completely secondary to the project. It's not totally irrelevant, but it is a secondary concern. Read the Project Mission Statement, if you haven't done so already.

If flavor is such a massive sticking point for people, I think X-Presumptuous gives a fantastic explanation. It's not a stretch at all, IMO:

The flavour for Tailwind can make sense if we use the phenomenon of ballooning in baby spiders for a pre-evo for it. This actually fits in with the explanation for other users such as Pidgeot and Pelipper, that wind from the behind aids in flight ( wind from the behind is necessary for ballooning ).

I don't think any of the flavor-junkies are stupid or anything. I just don't think they are thinking about the tangible effect of this pokemon after the creation process is over. It will be used as a component in the competitive battling metagame. A lot of you that post a million times in these creation threads and argue long and loud about these pokemon -- I never see you on the server actually battling with CAP pokemon. And for the people that ACTUALLY USE these pokemon on a regular basis -- I see very few of them bitching about "flavor".

If you don't like Tailwind because you think it will be broken, or if you just don't think this pokemon could actually use it effectively, then that's a valid argument. But, to argue about flavor -- for a move that could be so impactful on the metagame -- is just silly in my opinion.

Imagine if we were arguing about the ability Wonder Guard on this pokemon. If that were up for discussion, would flavor matter at all? Hell no. The competitive implications of that ability are so significant that flavor arguments about it would only come from idiot fanboys.

Idiot Fanboy said:
"Hey guys, I heard you are thinking about Wonder Guard, which I love because it has the coolest sounding name of all pokemon abilities. But, I'm not going to vote for Wonder Guard because it just doesn't seem to "fit" with a pokemon that has purple in its color scheme. Next time we want to make a Wonder Guard pokemon, we'll have to give it red or blue coloring. If you do that, then I'm all for it."
Do you see how silly it seems to consider flavor when the competitive implications are so high? Well, that's what we have here with Tailwind. Not that Tailwind is as powerful as Wonder Guard, but you know what I mean. We have a move that is never used at all in the metagame. It affects a game mechanic that is arguably the most important battle mechanic of all -- speed. If we don't give it to this pokemon, we will never see what kind of impact Tailwind could have on the metagame.

And you guys are talking about flavor? Come on....

Wish - Yes/No
Slack Off - Yes/No
Tailwind - Yes/No
Gravity - Yes/No
Heal Block - Yes/No
Yawn - Yes/No

Wish - Yes/No
Slack Off - Yes/No
Tailwind - Yes/No
Gravity - Yes/No
Heal Block - Yes/No
Yawn - Yes/No

DougJustDoug, I agree with everything you just said. Tailwind would be awesome on this Pokémon. Even the Tailwind / Trick Room duality is really cool. But I'm just picturing it going, "CAP4 used Tailwind!" *Tailwind animation* … and I just think it looks silly. I mean, it's a Poison / Ground type.

I really don't want to "argue long and loud" like I was before, because you're right. I've never actually battled with the CAP Pokémon, and I've really only been here for about a month. But is it really such a big deal to clone the move?

it's not that bad of an idea to make a signature tailwind like move.
i don't have any ideas for it, though.
I actually have an idea, it'll work exactly like tailwind, but instead of doubling your team's speed, it halves your opponent's. It's the same effect, you're still twice as fast, effectively.

Thick Mud - Ground - Other - 30 PP (48 with PP Max) - Damage: N/A - Accuracy: N/A
Effect: Halves the Speed of the opponent's team for five turns.

Wish - Yes/No
Slack Off - Yes/No
Tailwind - Yes/No
Gravity - Yes/No
Heal Block - Yes/No
Yawn - Yes/No

Wish - Yes/No
Slack Off - Yes/No
Tailwind - Yes/No
Gravity - Yes/No
Heal Block - Yes/No
Yawn - Yes/No

As I had said prior, I completely support the idea that Gravity could be this guy just slapping them to the ground. Heal Block again is just him distracting him. And the praying idea of Wish seems plausible. I would vote towards Block as opposed to Spider Web however, the main theme of this pokemon is hands. giving him an attack that has an equal that is more spider like then hand like seems off if you ask me.

Slack off would be too potent on him, I mean, that is basically just Recover with a different description if I am not mistaken. Yawn is a bad idea on this one, for one, he doesn't look the yawning type, and giving him sleep support guarantees at least one turn for set up if I am not mistaken. Although I like the idea of Tailwind, I can't justify it fitting for him.

Wish - Yes/No
Not too much of a stretch to see.

Slack Off - Yes/No
Redundant with Wish, as well as being slightly off flavor-wise (Vital Spirit + Slack Off = weird)

Block
/Spider Web - Yes/No
Block is just so much easier to envision than Spider Web.

Tailwind - Yes/No
As per DJD's post (sheer brilliance, btw). Seeing as it was mentioned in the concept AND the ability, it'd be a shame to not use it.

Gravity - Yes/No
See above.

Heal Block - Yes/No
See above.

Yawn - Yes/No
This would just be a pain. Block + Yawn in particular.

Oh, and I really this post:

Darkflagrance said:
Appearance is not the only aspect of a pokemon that is important. Pokemon exist in the minds of the people that create them, so we can give a pokemon any move we desire and justify it by creating a fact about it. We can justify Tailwind by saying in the flavor text that DDL has a mystical connection to the earth and the elements that allows it to use moves that shift the environment, or that in the past this pokemon was worshipped as a trickster god with the ability to twist the winds and the elements. That would be sufficient justification for any continuous environment changing move we wanted to give this pokemon.

Suicune summons the winds to force Tailwind. In this pokemon's case, we can say that using its powers to shift elements it causes the wind to blow. Suicune with regards to appearance is simply a huge dog with a crystal on its head. The flavor text gives it the identity of spirit of the north wind and thus the ability to summon Tailwind. That is how it can be justified for DDL.

Really, the more significant issue that might be debated is the brokenness of 5-turn Tailwind, and I would rather let that be decided by the metagame. Tailwind hasn't really be used on a large competitive scale, and it would be interesting to see the kinds of teams built around 5-turn Tailwind.
I would also be in support of a Tailwind clone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)